Start by marking “At Grandmother's Table: Women Write about Food, Life and the Enduring Bond Between Grandmothers and Granddaughters” as Want to Read:

More than 50 women share their grandmother's touching life stories and favorite family recipes, and comment on how food forms the common bond that connects these women across the generations. Photos.
Published August 21st 2000 by Fairview Press

To ask other readers questions about At Grandmother's Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Grandmother's Table

Sharon
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful collection of pieces from women writing about their grandmothers with a recipe for each. They are diverse in character; and each recipe is diverse. Many of the recipes are enticing and will encourage you to try them! I appreciated that there was an assortment of grandmothers presented, and memories of them: not all grandmas are sweet collections of humanity.
Janie
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Everyone who loves to hear immigration stories told in the words of granddaughters, will LOVE this book! Grandmas' stories, from the early 1800's into the middle 1900's, make you feel as if you knew these women, too. Great recipes are included. It is a treasure.
Cathy
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books, book-club
This cookbook and At My Grandmother's Table were used in our July Try Something New Cookbook Club but this one was the favorite - so much so that one of our members bought 3 copies for the library so there would be plenty to share. The stories are wonderful and the recipes are comfort food at its best. Adult Macaroni and Cheese was the hit of the evening. Of course none of us eat this way anymore so there was much conversation about how our mothers and grandmothers lived to the ripe old ages the ...more
Donna
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Challenge: Reading Women - Food in the title (17)
Annie
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoyed learning about each author's relationship with her grandmother. However, although I normally love this type of book (memoir interlaced with recipes), I felt some of the stories were either overly edited (chopped up) to fit the given page allotment or just poorly written. Many of these stories felt as though they were the result of a school writing assignment asking students to reflect upon their grandmothers. Don't get me wrong... Some of the stories were great and even brought a tear ...more
marissa  sammy
Jun 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
There are no food photographs in this book, which normally aggravates me in a cookbook. But there *are* photos of the contributers' grandmothers, which makes up for it and simultaneously lends the compilation a sense of shared intimacy. Some of the stories are painful, some amusing; most of them are engagingly heartfelt, and the recipes cover a broad range of skill levels, tastes, and culinary traditions.
Liz
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
What a lovely book! Sixty-eight women write about their grandmothers - some beloved and familiar, some living far away, some never even met - and share their stories. Then, each grandmother is remembered with a recipe or two, perhaps a much loved specialty, perhaps a make-do dish from Depression days. This makes me want to make a book of my own like this one.
Starlene Lackey-Pesnell
May 25, 2016
Cyndi
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2011