Start by marking “Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)

Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess

(Girl Genius Novels #2)

Intrigue! Subterfuge! Circus Folk! In a time when the Industrial Revolution has escalated into all-out warfare, mad science rules the world... with mixed success.

With the help of Krosp, Emperor of All Cats, Agatha has escaped from the massive airship known as Castle Wulfenbach. After crashing their escape dirigible, Agatha and Krosp fall in with Master Payne's Circus of A
Published April 3rd 2012 by Night Shade (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess

Soulless by Gail CarrigerChangeless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineBlameless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Steampunk
402 books — 638 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerLeviathan by Scott WesterfeldBoneshaker by Cherie PriestPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleThe Time Machine by H.G. Wells
Best Steampunk Books
1,066 books — 4,343 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius Novels, #2)
Patrick
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book and it's prequel are kinda unique in my experience. I don't know if I've ever read a novelization of a comic before.

What's more, I'm actually listening to the audiobook before reading the paper copy.

That said, I'm very much enjoying it. The novel actually brings to light things that aren't mentioned in the comic, giving more bacground and history about the world. Giving more hints to the many mysteries that are part of why I love girl Genius.

***Dave Hill
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Serious Girl Genius fans, or for lovers of steampunk fantasy who wouldn't think of reading a comic.
Shelves: text
Wow. Do I feel conflicted about this book.

On the one hand, "Girl Genius" is one of my favorite webcomics, and Phil Foglio one of my favorite artists. I have various editions, soft- and hard-cover of the comic collections, etc. And this novel (covering vol. 4-6 of the comic) covers the story very, very well, complete with lots of added backstory, and loads of footnotes, and, for that matter, inner monologues (as well as the maniacal outer ones). Indeed, having quickly gone back and read vol. 4, I
Sam Reader
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"It is here, with great reluctance, and a full awareness of how a chronicler should report a story without being the story itself, that one of your professors enters the narrative. Surely the tedious whys and wherefores of how he came to find himself in this particular prison at this particular time have no significant relevance to the greater story and shall thus be ignored."
- Professor Philip Foglio

So, to get the basics out of the way, Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess is the second novel
Freya
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intrigue! Subterfuge! Circus Folk!

Review to come :)
Salimbol
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The novelisation of volumes 4-6 in the Girl Genius webcomic series, in which Agatha, having been revealed as the long-lost heir to the (in)famous Heterodyne family, is on the run from Baron Wulfenbach and takes refuge with a travelling circus. Slower-moving than the first novel, Agatha H and the Airship City, and without quite the same tight focus, this is nevertheless a very enjoyable book, with all the delightful wit and magic you expect from the Foglios. The authors use the much greater lengt ...more
Aelvana
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Agatha has escaped the clutches of Baron Wulfenbach, although staying free might prove to be a bit more troublesome. Thanks to a circus that performs Heterodyne plays, though, she's found a good place to hide. Circus life suits her more than she expected, but her ultimate goal remains Mechanicsburg, former home of the Heterodyne family. She isn't sure what waits for her there, but plenty of forces are eager to stop her from finding out . . .

Really, the Mad Science is the best reason to read thes
Cedar Sanderson
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Foglios have taken their brilliant webcomic and successfully translated it to a rollicking-good-fun novel. Three of them, and more coming. Agatha, the young Spark who discovers her true identity in the first novel, appears in the Clockwork Princess as a damsel on the run, but not distressed in the slightest. When she falls in with a traveling circus, she loses herself in her work, repairing the elderly machinery they use for transport and other tasks. Along the way she bonds with the strang ...more
Marla
Feb 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like when I get a book and it's nice and thick. There was a lot going on in this book, especially at the end with the double-crosses, fake double-crosses, triple-crosses, what-have-you that it was kind of hard to figure out what was going on, and who was on what side.

As I read I couldn't help but think that the plot and main characters would really shine, and make for a really good story, if the background clutter was cleaned up and didn't overwhelm them.

High points: Krosp, Emperor of A
Fiona
The second novelisation of the Girl Genius webcomic, this is equally as entertaining as the first. While they naturally follow the same plot as the webcomic, the novels bring more character insights, along with added details and backstory. Great fun, and a highly enjoyable read. If you like your steampunk (or gaslamp fantasy, if you prefer) with lots of adventure, strange creatures and mad science, then this is for you. And there's a circus, too!
Dustin
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of the Girl Genius comics and I have to say that I like the novelizations better. It has the same humor as the comics (so if you don't like those you won't like these) but in the novel format the story has a chance to breathe a bit.

Andy Graetz
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! I keep guessing what's going to happen and I'm always delightfully wrong!
Malcolm
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alt-worlds
The secret’s out: Agatha Clay, inventor of modest skill, has been exposed as Agatha Heterodyne, daughter of the last of the Heterodynes – the family responsible for Europa’s great civil war. Baron Klaus Wulfenbach, keeper of the Peace of Transylvania, has sworn to hunt her down and annihilate the Heterodyne threat – but Agatha H has escaped, seemingly disappeared into the Badlands to live, to threaten, to endanger the fragile world that is Europa, in this rollicking alt-history, weird science, d ...more
Courtney
Good:

I really enjoyed the plot of this story. Travelling with a circus is the perfect way to travel under cover. She acts a bit weird?? Well that's because she's part of a circus! The characters in the circus was fun and interesting. I liked Zeetha and Agatha's relationship. There was a mutual respect between the to.

I think my favorite part was taking tropes and turning them on their head. When Zeetha and Agatha were training, Agatha listened to her Kole (aka Zeetha) when she said she wasn't re
D.L. Morrese
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a steampunk fantasy world, people with the Spark can break (or at least seriously bend) the laws of physics with their inventions. Agatha Heterodyne is strong with the Spark, but unlike many, it hasn't driven her insane. 'Mad' and 'genius' are almost synonymous here. Mad and sane is a rare combination, which makes Agatha sought after by other Sparks who have power. They either want to use her or kill her. The most powerful is Baron Klaus Wulfenbach, the ostensible ruler of all of Europa (cont ...more
Anniken Haga
The second book in the Girl Genius Novelization ''series''.

These books are inspired by the Girl Genius webcomic, and is rather close to the story as well.
I've read the webcomic a few times, and therefor I knew what was going to happen in this book.
That may be why I didn't like it as much as I liked the first book.

The writing is still rather good, fast paced and flowing in this book, although there were a few places where I reacted on the ''telling'' way it was written, like notes.
This ruined
Avery LuBell
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Absolutely stunning, both wacky and full of heart. It's like reading a comedic penny-dreadful.
This one did something stylistically which the first book didn't: footnotes. It also introduced the author as a character in his own tale. Both served to make the story seem more like historical-fiction than straight fiction, pulling you further into this lovable, creative, silly world.
I cannot wait to read the next book ^_^!
Christopher Dodds
From start to finish I loved this book and was caught up a lot in the story and its characters from the first book and loved the little additions at the bottom of the page going further behind the plot of the story, this was a real page turner that was hard to put down and can't wait for more in this series.
Deckard Ra
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have I said that you must buy this book? I was wrong. You must put a copy of this series in every library on this planet instead. Trust me, it is that good. A very fascinating universe awaits those who dare plunder this peculiar fantasy. The format of the book is slightly different from the first volume with the addition of hilarious background information in the footnotes.
Blue Rose
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A small bit of heartache happened, and was got over. And people losing limbs and dying, but not in a terrible way, more like a we-saw-this-coming-so-we-can't-really-be-sad-about-it kind of way. I really can't wait for the next installment. This just might have the requisite qualities for a modern day epic. ;)
Lula McCuela
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series is an absolute pleasure to read! The characters are unique and interesting, the dialogue is witty and engaging, the plot fast-paced and exciting. Everything I could ask for with the added bonuses of steampunk creatures and mad scientists!
Anthony Faber
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel covering the events of the "Clockwork Princess" & "Golden Trilobite" graphic novels. It's a bit racier than the graphic novels, and there are minor differences, but they're pretty much the same. I think I prefer the graphic novels, but it's pretty close.
Kirk Johnson
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the addition of copious irreverent footnotes reminiscent of the Bartimaeus demon series, this book is even better than the first. the climactic last portion of the novel was a bit frenetic for my tastes, but it's all still a treasure.
Jenny
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This second book in this series was far more enjoyable to me than the first. I laughed out loud many times, enjoyed the plot and the characters, and truly appreciated the writing style. The comical footnotes were also a great addition!
Rebecca Reddell
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the twists and turns this book has provided. The characters are fun and whacky. I'm enjoying Agatha's continued development as a character. All in all, a fun read, but fair warning, you must concentrate when you read because there are a lot of characters and a lot of things happening.
Kathy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love these books. I hope they keep putting them out. While I have of course read the graphic novels, these just add so many small details, so much fun little things -- it's just another level of terrific in the Girl Genius universe.

Long live the Professor & Professoressa.
Ray A
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much more background!

These books follow the original plot line of the graphic story, but provides a great deal more info on internal thoughts and motivations. As the 2nd novel, this work shows serious development over the first, of the Foglios as writers/narrators.
Eric Jackson
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk
Great Reader! Great Fun !
Jeff Thomas
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A favorite. Smart concept, well-written, compelling story. Clever, engaging characters. Definitely recommended.
Siri
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I love this story so much. Full of daring adventures romance and I love the heroin.
Marie-Anne
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy
So fun to read. Full of twists and turns, surprises and what???
And don't forget to read the footnotes :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The City of Lightning (The Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne Volume 2)(Girl Genius, #15)
  • The Incorruptible Library (The Second Journey of Agatha Heterodyne Volume 3)(Girl Genius #16)
  • Skybreaker (Matt Cruse, #2)
  • Fantastic Mr Fox
  • The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories
  • Starclimber (Matt Cruse, #3)
  • Steampunk: Poe
  • Archivist Wasp (Archivist Wasp Saga, #1)
  • Reticence (Custard Protocol, #4)
  • Puppet
  • Skyships Over Innsmouth
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray: A Graphic Novel
  • Poinciana
  • The Mountains Sing
  • Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes Magic: The Gathering, Buck Godot, and the popular series of comics and novels, Girl Genius, co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)

Girl Genius Novels (4 books)
  • Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1)
  • Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius Novels, #3)
  • Agatha H. and the Siege of Mechanicsburg