Start by marking “His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel (Brides of Pemberley, #1)” as Want to Read:
His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel (Brides of Pemberley, #1)

His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel

(Brides of Pemberley #1)

Mr. Darcy Speaks from the Heart:
Pride and Prejudice from his Point of View

Though tired of Society's manipulations, Darcy never thought to be enchanted by a country maiden. Yet on a visit to rural Hertfordshire, Elizabeth Bennet captivates him. Lovely and vivacious, she is everything he is not, and everything he longs to have.

Unfortunately, her connections put her decidedly
Published November 20th 2011 by Smokey Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about His Good Opinion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Good Opinion

Start your review of His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel (Brides of Pemberley, #1)
Susan
Dec 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I love Pride and Prejudice and this was a re-telling from Mr. Darcy's perspective. I was entertained although nothing compares to the original. There were a few lapses where modernism inadvertently broke the historical plane and removed me from the early 1800's.

Good holiday read-I didn't want ro read about murder on Christmas.
IndieJane
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In His Good Opinion, author Nancy Kelley sets out to tell the story of Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy’s point of view. Although Darcy is the hero in Pride and Prejudice, for the first part of the book he comes across to Elizabeth (as well as everyone else in Hertfordshire) and the reader as proud and aloof. In the second half of the novel, Austen shows us how Darcy changes and Darcy himself admits to flaws in his behavior. But why was Darcy seemingly so proud? Why did he refuse to be easily ...more
Elin Eriksen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view has been done many times but I absolutely loved this version. Staying close to canon, it never felt like rehash and I heartily appreciated that the author did not make excuses or gloss over the insults and offences...
Masterly done and very well written. Austenesque in its execution.

Heartily recommend this book!
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
P&P retellings are pretty hit and miss for me, but this one was a hit! I felt like it realistically represented Darcy's point of view, and it was fun to see the scenes from a male perspective. One I plan to re-read in the future. ...more
Tracey
His Good Opinion is, in brief, Pride and Prejudice from Darcy's point of view. What exactly did he say to Bingley to keep him away from Netherfield? What was he thinking when he made that bone-headed first proposal to Elizabeth? How exactly did he track down Wickham? Here it is.

It's more like a writing exercise than a novel, in some ways. It becomes a little pedantic – it reads like every single thought in Darcy's head is revealed, and his reaction to nearly every line of dialogue to which he
Leslie
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Initially I was reticent to read the Mr. Darcy perspectives of P & P, I'm not really sure why. This is a brilliant re-imagining of Prider & Prejudice. Beginning with Darcy's visit at Ramsgate we are shown precisely how Elizabeth Bennet stole his heart.

The author masterfully intertwines passages from the original novel with a fresh perspective. This is a wonderful book suitable for all ages.
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
In the same manner as Pamela Aidan, Amanda Grange, and Maya Slater, debut author Nancy Kelley pens a novel that tells the story of Pride and Prejudice from Mr. Darcy's perspective. Giving readers something they will all find extremely agreeable: more time alone with the handsome, illustrious, and brooding Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy! Ms. Kelley's tale begins just before Georgiana's imprudent elopement attempt and closes soon after Darcy and Elizabeth become engaged. Through these pages readers get to ...more
Kim
In publishing His Good Opinion, Nancy Kelley joins a long line of authors who have written Pride and Prejudice from the viewpoint of Fitzwilliam Darcy. When I first heard about this novel I was intrigued; what could Kelley have written that hasn’t been done before? Interested enough to take the plunge and see Darcy from another’s perspective I dug right in.

In His Good Opinion, Kelly treads familiar ground. In a wonderful retelling of Pride and Prejudice, Kelly sights Darcy in her cross-hairs as
Candy
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
I have read a couple of Pride and Prejudice retellings from Darcy's point of view and I must say I loved this one!

His Good Opinion starts out just before Ramsgate where Darcy surprises Georgiana with a visit and ruins Wickman's plan to elope with her. Nancy Kelley is able to expand on some of the conversations that I always wished Jane Austen would have done.

Can I just say, I love this Darcy! I love being in his head, knowing his thoughts. We see him reflecting on what Elizabeth said when she
Gail Frisby
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Book

Had read before but enjoyed it. I don't
Like the variations when Lydia and Wickham marry thats like rewarding them both for bad behavior
Rose Brookins
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ja-fic, 2013
I've never much bothered with Jane Austen sequels/prequels/spinoffs/variations, besides to pick them up in bookshops and be amused by their premises for a few minutes before I got annoyed with the writing style and quality. But for various reasons I decided to go looking for one, determined to read it all the way through, and found this one consistently highly rated both here and on Amazon. And I read it, didn't hate it, and even finished it!

I went back and forth on it a lot while reading it, so
Robin
Review Tally - based out of 5

OVERALL: 5 STARS (actually, it came out to 4.7, but let's round up)

Story/Plot: 5 - This is again, another version of Pride and Prejudice told through Mr. Darcy's POV. The gaps between the original P&P and the scenes added to explain more about Mr. Darcy are not as noticeable as in similar works. I will point out, and apologize if you consider this a SPOILER, the story actually opens up with Mr. Darcy leaving to go to Ramsgate and surprise his sister, Georgiana.

Re-re
Danielle
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A classic retold through the eyes of the sometimes pompous and often prideful Darcy Fitzwilliam. His Good Opinion answers the question, what was Darcy’s side of the story? Pride and Prejudice leaves much to the imagination. Was Darcy truly has prejudiced as he seemed and what were his intentions in his first proposal to Elizabeth Bennet? A true and timeless love story now told through the eyes of the undeniably dreamy Darcy.

Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of classic literature. Sadly, I think
Sophia
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ever since the first time I read Pride and Prejudice, I have wondered what was going on behind Darcy's enigmatic expressions and silent staring and what happened during all those times he was away from Elizabeth. I know I was not the only one and I am so glad to see that someone with writing talent took up their pen to tackle this. I allowed myself to have high expectations when I realized that this Pride and Prejudice story was going to stick close to the original. I was not disappointed. Nancy ...more
Bry
"It is a truth universally acknowledged..." yadda yadda yadda...Now I love (like totally) Jane Austen. I have read each of her books MULTIPLE times and according to my GR book lists have read 42 "Jane-Austen-esque" books so it is no surprise that I read this. What is a surprise is that I actually liked it quite a bit.

Now don't get too excited though - there really isn't too much original material in this book. This is supposed to be Pride and Prejudice written from the perspective of Mr. Darcy.
Jill
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-2016
I thought this book would be a fun way to pass the time...It was a fun read; it paralleled Pride & Prejudice very closely and I thought it did a pretty good job giving some believable insight into Mr. Darcy's point of view. Of course the writing style doesn't come close to the perfection that is Jane Austen - she sometimes uses cliches that are pretty anachronistic ("giddy as a schoolgirl" or "cut my losses and search for greener pastures") - but it was a page-turner and an entertaining re-telli ...more
writer...
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Had the opportunity to catch this on my kindle as a one day special offer from author Nancy Kelley. Pleased I did ~
fun following Darcy's thoughts on the now well known actions and activities of his fellow characters from Jane Austen's P&P. Nancy gives us behind the scenes interpretations from Darcy's perspective or from the DIMH [Darcy in my head] as Nancy says :)
a few editing corrections would benefit reading ease, but ignoring them is your other option.

another addition to your Austenesque read
Kelsey
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I honestly could not stop reading this book. I don't know what else to say other than I loved it! I loved seeing Mr. Darcys side of the story of when he meets his beloved Elizabeth.
Nancy Kelley, I sure hope you write more books relating to Pride and Prejudice, especially about the wedding. :) A lot of authors have attempted to write "sequels" to P&P, but I sure hope that Nancy Kelley plans on writing one *hint hint* :P
Charlene
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Reading P&P from Darcy's perspective has always been enjoyable. Nancy Kelley does a fabulous job of carrying off Darcy's voice. She portrays him just the way I would feel we should view him. All the trials he feels in coming to the final truth is wonderful in his thoughts and how he overcomes his prejudices. Well done Nancy! Definitely a read that any Jane Austen fan should read. ...more
Danielle
I thoroughly loved this book. It was very well written and matched the character that we have grown to love. To imagine what he must have been thinking and going through gives us new insight into a part of the story we did not get before. We also get to see his awareness of his faults and his correcting them. If you love Pride and Prejudice you will love this book.
James Allen
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
If you love Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, you will certainly enjoy Nancy Kelley's His Good Opinion.

The book follows the events and Pride and Prejudice but from Mr. Darcy's perspective. The scenes in Longbourn, Netherfield Park, Rosings, London, and Pemberley are enriched by this retelling.
Jenni
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-kindle
This was a fun quick read. I loved reading the Pride and Prejudice story from Darcy's point of view. It was fun to see things from his perspective and have some of the gaps in the story filled in so to speak. The author did a fine job of writing like the period, even using "Austenisms" and sometimes quoting word for word from the original. ...more
Cathy
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Pride and Prejudice, and of course Mr. Darcy. I thought this retelling from the viewpoint of Mr. Darcy stayed true to the language, plot and essence of the original. It was enlightening and refreshing to get in the mind of Mr. D, and I fell in love with him all over again ;) Elizabeth Bennett is a lucky woman!
Nowun
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in 9 hours and loved it immensely.
Blodeuedd Finland
Mar 14, 2012 marked it as dnf
Not a dnf cos it was bad, but because it was the story from his POV. Meh
Barbara K.
The primary point, I think, of this Pride and Prejudice variation is to provide Mr. Darcy's point of view. In fact the book is written entirely from his point of view, with all of the original Jane Austen story kept intact. Some parts will read almost exactly like Austen's original, with scenes or internal dialog added that Darcy would have been privy to. His motivations, his desires, his fears, his internalizations, all are here.

I know that there are readers who have wanted a JAFF story like th
Isabel
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: english
I love P&P, so no wonder I read this one.
Or maybe it is because I gave up on P&P fanfiction years ago after a string of really awful attempts at being true/not so very true to Jane Austen'S masterpiece.
So in a way I expected to be disappointed. Well, I wasn't in the beginning. While Nancy Kelley is certainly not Jane Austen and obviously lacks her style and quality, the attempt was well enough. I found myself longing to go back and read on. Silly, really, I mean I have read P&P numerous times
Gerbera_Reads
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have reread this book many times. What can I say? I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, but this totally different side to the same story told by Mr. Darcy himself is a gem! It is very similar to Pride and Prejudice in use of language and witty phrases, and it offers an unfettered view into the way Mr. Darcy thinks and feels, his own personal journey of discovery and change that brought him and Lizzy together. I always love when the story is told from both sides. And this book offered me ...more
Bettye McKee
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pride and Prejudice according to Darcy

The author has rewritten Pride and Prejudice from the viewpoint of Mr. Darcy. In doing so, she has incorporated a great many portions of Jane Austen's own words for which she may not claim credit. The result is much like rereading Pride and Prejudice.

The story, however, is a pleasant read with few surprises. The characters and sequence of events are true to Miss Austen's intent except with the greatest focus on Mr. Darcy.

Regardless of my previously stated o
Linda
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I have read several P&P adaptations told from Mr. Darcy's point of view. This is the best one yet. I found it especially interesting that it started with Wickham's attempted elopement with Georgiana Darcy, rather than subsequent events at Netherfield Park. I look forward eagerly to the sequel, Loving Miss Darcy, which will obviously venture out of Austen territory into uncharted ground. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mistletoe and Mischief: A Pride and Prejudice Christmas Anthology
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • The Longbourn Quarantine
  • As Only Mr. Darcy Can: A Pride and Prejudice Regency Romp

Brides of Pemberley (4 books)
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Against His Will (Brides of Pemberley #3)
  • Brides of Pemberley Box Set

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...
“You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings in this manner—in such society; and indeed I am quite of your opinion. I was never more annoyed! The insipidity and yet the noise; the nothingness and yet the self-importance of all these people! What would I give to hear your strictures on them!"   She only echoed Darcy's earlier thoughts, but after his conversation with Miss Elizabeth, he could not agree with her. "Your conjecture is totally wrong, I assure you. My mind was more agreeably engaged. I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow.” 0 likes
“Darcy set the decanter down on the tray with a hard clang. "Surely even you will acknowledge that a single woman in possession of no brothers must be in want of a husband."   Bingley shook his head and laughed. "You can hardly claim that to be a universal truth."   Darcy ran his hands through his close-cropped dark curls. ” 0 likes