Start by marking “Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Governor (The Walking Dead #1)

Rise of the Governor

(The Walking Dead #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  17,158 ratings  ·  1,775 reviews
Based on The Walking Dead graphic novels/comic books and the series starring Andrew Lincoln (Teachers, This Life and Love, Actually) and written/produced by Frank Darabont whose previous credits include The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, this is a new trilogy of books written by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga, author of Perfect Victim and Shattered. Set in the ...more
Published October 21st 2011 by Tor (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Governor, please sign up.
James Volland These books are solely based on the graphic novels (comics). However; the first 3 books in the series can add some substance to the governor character…moreThese books are solely based on the graphic novels (comics). However; the first 3 books in the series can add some substance to the governor character (and may influence your opinion of him) in the TV series; but remembering that they are not canons of each other and there may be some plot-holes.(less)

Gina
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this on Goodreads!

When I started this book I had no idea what the book was about. I watched The Walking Dead when it aired last year and I thought it was A-M-Azing. Before I read this book I had to do a little research on "The Governor" because I haven't read the comics and also the show hasn't introduced that character yet. Also keep in mind that I basically only read YA books with a female as the main p.o.v. So with that being said I started the book and all I can say is Wow! The ending
Jason Koivu
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, fiction
Realizing there wasn't enough horror in my reading world and being a fan of The Walking Dead tv show, I figured a book based on the backstory of one of the franchise's most notorious characters was a safe bet for some good reading. I was correct!

Rise of the Governor is wall-to-wall anus-puckering tension and heart-thumping action. The author's workman-like prose powers the story forward at an almost non-stop pace (jesus there's a lot of dashes going on here!) from beginning to end.

And what an en
Anthony Chavez
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I have read the first compendium of 48 trade paperbacks that ended the original Governor story arc, I jumped at the chance to pick up this collaboration by series creator Robert Kirkman and horror writer Jay Bonansinga. "The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor" is an amazing idea for a novel or trilogy. I hear that the Governor is one of the series', and even comic books in general, most notorious and loathsome villains, and the notion of exploring his back story is definitely going to be appe ...more
Lucy
Alaina
Rise of the Governor was an okay and interesting audio book. The pace was all over the pace to me though. The first half of this book was moving so agonizingly slow for me. It could've been because I was at work and honestly didn't want to be there for 8 hours.. or it could've been that narrator was so meh. I couldn't concentrate long enough in the beginning that I definitely had to back track a couple of times.

Then the action got better. The zombies got crazier and deader (if that's a thing??).
Yodamom
Audiobook- Fabulous narrator*
Omg!!! Shocking twists and truths revealed. if you think you know The Governor you don't till you read this book. He is not who has portrayed himself to be. I think I might have sprained my jaw it dropped so far when I got the truth about who he is. Holy Crisps, I could barely catch my breath.
This first book stats with Phil, his brother Brian, his living daughter and two high school friends. The plague has just driven them from their hometown to search for the safe z
Cyndi
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I might have enjoyed this book much more if I had been a fan of the Walking Dead phenomenon. Some of the fight scenes included way too much medical data. And there are no heroes, this is how inherently bad people survive an apocalypse. Killing zombies becomes so common place that committing atrocities on each other is easier, I guess.
Anyway, I did like the twist at the end so it was worth sticking with it for that. 🤷🏼♀
Patrick D'Orazio
The Walking Dead, Rise of the Governor, should be more aptly titled (as mentioned by several other reviewers): The Birth of the Governor. If this book has a sequel, it would tell of the actual rise of the Governor. In fact, I feel that given what this particular book is lacking, there would need to be a sequel to bridge the gap between what we have been introduced to with this story and what we see when Rick, Glenn, and Michonne stumble across Woodbury in the comic books.

While this story wasn't
Brian
Nov 08, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I am a HUGE zombie fan. I have also been collecting the Walking Dead comic book since issue #2 and when I first heard about this novel, I was excited. Kirkman explores the deeper thoughts/feelings/issues of a z-apocalyptic world via the comic (and now the TV show) and I thought a novel would allow him to really sink his teeth into the material. Also, he has never (not in comics or TV) dealt with the early days of the epidemic.

If you haven't ever read the comic, but are a fan of apocalyptic
Gabriel
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Won in a Goodreads First Reads.

Sigh.

After greatly enjoying the first season of the AMC show and getting deep into the comics, I was looking forward to this. I mean, good zombie novels are far and very few between. They seem to work better as film horrors over novel horrors. Even so, The Walking Dead comics did a wonderful job of transforming the brutality of George Romero zombie flicks into a written media.

This book does NOT follow suit.

Maybe it's due to the fact that it's written in the present
Chris Greensmith
"A severed ear sticks to the windshield, and Philip puts the wipers on." I went into this series not expecting much, but as I started reading and realised it shared the same continuity as the comic I really began to enjoy it. Although the plot was a bit thin it did work toward fleshing out one of the most brutal villains in the Walking Dead and kept me reading to he end, and the following books wanting to know more. A good companion to the comic focusing, in depth, where the comic couldn't...3🌟
☆~Stephanie ~☆
I really enjoyed this book a lot ! This book was so much better for me then World War Z ! I can't wait to start the next one will start it tonight .if you haven't read this you should give it a try it was really great book.
Kristina
Okay, so I liked the book. I liked it enough that I plan on reading the rest of the series. I did not however "really" like it or think it was amazing. Hence, the three star rating.

For one, and probably my biggest issue with this book, is how part two of this book played out almost exactly like parts of season four of the show played out. I kept thinking, "Wait, is this a novelization of season four, or is this really the story of way before we ever met the Governor in season three?" Also, it h
Chris
Aug 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Walking Dead fans
Well now. That was interesting.

I actually had a bit of a time getting into this one. It didn't have the pace of the comic series (that this is based on), and was written in the present tense. That's a bit jarring for me, though I did get used to it.

Note that this is the backstory of the Governor from the Walking Dead comic book/graphic novel series. It is NOT the backstory of the character by the same name/title in the AMC television series.

As far as a backstory goes, this one is pretty damn goo
Patricia Crowther
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating 4.5*

Wow I feel like such a fool. How did I fall for that one! This was really great. I really enjoyed the Governors back story. It was interesting to see his journey and especially some of the similarities/links to the show.
Anna Stathopoulou
Ανίδεη μέχρι τώρα! H πρώτη μου επαφή με τον κόσμο των νεκροζώντανων έγινε μέσω του πρώτου βιβλίου της σειράς "Η άνοδος του Κυβερνήτη". Δηλώνω ενθουσιασμένη! Ένα βιβλίο που με τρόμαξε αρχικά σαν ιδέα του τί μπορεί να συμβεί μια μέρα σε αυτόν τον αγαπημένο κόσμο που ζούμε, αλλά τόσο γοητευτικό στην γρήγορη πλοκή και την κινηματογραφική του εξέλιξη που γρήγορα ξέχασα... και άρχισα να ζω εκεί! μέσα στην αγωνία για την επιβίωση. ΜΗΝ ΤΟ ΧΑΣΕΤΕ ΑΥΤΟ ΤΟ ΜΙΚΡΟ ΘΑΥΜΑ!
Kimberley doruyter
if you seen the show you know how this turns out.
it's good for extra info on the governor, but he is still evil.
his brother is a spineless sack and his friend is a bible crazed dumbo.
for those how have not yet seen the show, the ending is a surprise.

a re-read and i actually liked it a little better then the first time i read it.
Λυδία Ψαραδέλλη
Στο βιβλίο που κυκλοφόρησε από τις Εκδόσεις Bell με τίτλο “The Walking Dead: Η Άνοδος του Κυβερνήτη” ήρωας δεν είναι κάποιος Άγιος, ούτε καν κάποιος ταπεινός άνθρωπος που προσπαθεί να επιβιώσει σε έναν κόσμο γεμάτο νεκροζώντανους με μαυρισμένα δόντια, παγωμένα δάχτυλα και σαπισμένο δέρμα. Ο αντιήρωας των Kirkman και Bonansinga είναι κακός, πληγώνει και καθαρίζει για άλλους, αναδεικνύεται σε ηγέτη ξεχωρίζοντας από την αρχή από τους κοινούς θνητούς.

Ο αναγνώστης θέλει να πιστεύει στο αγαθό της ψυχή
Charley Girl
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-read
I listened to this book and it had my heart going. It freaked me out more than the show and I was cruising threw my chores that I was doing because of the adrenaline it made me feel. I gave it a 3 because after awhile, just like the show, I didn't want to go through the cycle of not having any supplies, biters coming, running, someone dies. Start over. Only so much I can take.

The characters are super though! Phillip goes from caring father to one loco muchacho! He lost every marble he ever had a
Nicole
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wendy
Oct 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The death of his beloved wife years earlier had already ruined Philip Blake’s life, leaving him with a single purpose: to care for and protect his daughter, Penny. This does not change when the zombie apocalypse hits, but his circle of protection expands to include his two best friends, and, unfortunately, his hapless, sickly brother Brian.

The Governor has been a frightening inclusion in The Walking Dead series, but as with all truly good antagonists, he is not simply mad and/or evil. This trilo
Matt
Jun 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As far as prequels go, this rates up there with The Phantom Menace and Batman Begins Kindergarten.
It's slow and boring and adds very little to the Walking Dead narrative. I don't think Kirkman had very much hand in this at all. Another author (Jay Bonansinga) is listed and, unless Kirkman really can't switch mediums (like Orson Scott Card, for example, didn't write a very good Iron Man comic), the fault lies with Bonansinga.
The descriptions use far too many cliches, which detracts from otherwis
Kandice
This was not what I was expecting. I read the comics long before the show came out, but have since become a fan of the show as well. I occasionally find it hard to remember what happened in which. That sounds a bit silly, but for those of you that read and watch, you know what I mean. Story lines from the comic are revisited in the show but with different characters or timing, names change, but personalities stay the same or even vice-verse. That being said, this was very, very obviously the sto ...more
Jessica
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not completely sure how to feel about this one. It had many extremely disturbing scenes, so much so that I had to put it down for awhile before picking it back up to finish it. However, the twist at the end did redeem itself a bit. I was not expecting who the Governor turned out to be. I will probably continue in this series, but am gonna take a hiatus for awhile from it.
Charlie
Now this is it!! Exactly what I needed to get myself out of a reading slump! Now I just need to find the next book in the series >.>
Lori
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened 11/26/12 - 12/6/12
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended to fans of The Walking Dead on AMC
Audiobook (9 cd's, 11hrs)
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Narrated by: Fred Berman

I am a total sucker for "companion" reading. Once I get hooked on a tv series, sitting around each week waiting for it to run on its scheduled night soon becomes unbearable. Like a junkie with no idea where my next fix will come from, I seek out ways by which I can keep the buzz alive.

I first remember doing this with The X-Files an
Cassie-la
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
REVIEW ALSO ON: http://bibliomantics.com/2011/12/09/a......

I was a little wary to start this book. Comics and prose novels are such different mediums, and I was suspicious of the success of the idea. Although Bill Willingham’s Fables novel Peter and Max has amazing reviews to back it and the same can be said of Shawn Thorgersen’s rewrite of the American manga series Bizenghast with Bizenghast: the Novel. Sadly, the same cannot be said of this novel, which is pretty much one giant FAIL.

The story
Sue Moro
This book is the first in a trilogy focusing on one of the most controversial characters in The Walking Dead series so far, that of the Governor of Woodbury. He first makes his appearance half way through the graphic novel compendium one, and his story line is just beginning in season three of the television series.

As the story begins, the zombie outbreak has already occurred and people are struggling to survive. Brain Blake and his younger brother, Philip, are traveling with their high school b
Calypso
"The Walking Dead - A Ascensão do Governador" foi um livro que rapidamente me despertou a curiosidade, mais não fosse por ser eu uma fã da série "The Walking Dead".

Apesar de nunca ter sido uma fã do governador (na série de TV) assim que tive oportunidade inicie a leitura deste livro. É um livro repleto de acção onde acompanhamos a viagem de Philip, a sua filha Penny, o seu irmão mais velho Brian e dois amigos de Philip: Nick e Bobby.

Desde cedo Philip mostra que tem capacidades de liderança semp
chucklesthescot
Philip is the capable brother, determined to look after daughter Penny in the zombie apocalypse, ready to leave town with his trusted friends Bobby and Nick. He is also forced by bad luck to take his brother Brian, who he meets by accident and was planning to leave without. The group are trying to get to the safe zone in Atlanta.

Basically, this book was just way too slow for me. We had so much description about the characters and what they were doing without really taking the story forward. It w
The Walking Dead: * The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor 3 16 Nov 17, 2013 09:31PM
Drinking Club Wit...: how about this for firat book? 3 11 Apr 07, 2013 03:06PM
  • Descent (The Walking Dead #5)
  • Fighting to Survive  (As The World Dies, #2)
  • Aftermath (Autumn, #5)
  • Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead
  • Dead of Night (Dead of Night, #1)
  • Thunder and Ashes (Morningstar Strain #2)
  • After the End
  • Zombie, Ohio
  • Deadlocked (Deadlocked, #2)
  • Flesh Eaters (Dead World, #3)
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • Beyond Exile (Day by Day Armageddon,# 2)
  • The Gathering Dead (The Gathering Dead, #1)
  • Life Sentence (Dying to Live, #2)
  • The Return Man

The Walking Dead (8 books)
  • The Road to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #2)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part One (The Walking Dead #3)
  • The Fall of the Governor: Part Two (The Walking Dead #4)
  • Descent (The Walking Dead #5)
  • Invasion (The Walking Dead #6)
  • Search and Destroy (The Walking Dead #7)
  • Return to Woodbury (The Walking Dead #8)
“It ain’t the dead things you gotta be mindful of around here … it’s the living.” 6 likes
“He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself; and if you gaze too long into the abyss, the abyss will gaze into you. —Nietzsche” 3 likes