Start by marking “The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)

The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  51,727 Ratings  ·  2,362 Reviews
Nancy Drew's keen mind is tested when she searches for a missing will. Narrated by Laura Linney.
Audio CD
Published 2002 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published 1930)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Old Clock, please sign up.

Danielle K I had to read the original for a graduate class I am in. I was able to purchase it through the college bookstore. Maybe if you try a local library you…moreI had to read the original for a graduate class I am in. I was able to purchase it through the college bookstore. Maybe if you try a local library you would be able to get an original copy?(less)

Michael Finocchiaro
"I love Nancy Drew! She is so cool," said my 7 year old daughter. I had"ve read the first 10 Hardy Boys books to my son ("one more chapter before going to bed PLEEEEASE papa!!") and figured I needed to let my daughter get in on the fun. Of course, my son said, "The Hardy Boys are better!" but who was on the couch listening in while pretending to ignore my daughter and I? Yep.
The first book of the Nancy Drew series is the story of a lost will that Nancy is helping the disowned and impoverished fr
My February month of reading mysteries is finally ending. I am excited for March as I have previously mentioned, a little too excited. To end an otherwise dreary and depressing month on a positive note, I decided to squeeze in one more mystery, this one a buddy read. This was no ordinary buddy read in a group, but one with my seven year old daughter. She is in first grade and is reading with ease. Lately she has enjoyed the newer, and probably easy for her, Nancy Drew Notebooks Mysteries. I deci ...more
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, novel
The Girl Detective begins!

This is the very first book, introducing the popular character of Nancy Drew. This edition is the revised one, changing the age of Nancy Drew from 16 to 18 years old. (But since in later series, her age is changed back to 16, that’s an irrelevant modification.

Nancy Drew is the only daughter of Carson Drew, prestigious lawyer of the town of River Heights (a fictional town, by the way). Her mother died when Nancy was 3 years old (original edition stated tha
Mary Beth
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me and goes back to my childhood. I use to love this series and have decided to reread this series. It reminds me so much of my Grandma who always came over to visit me with a new Nancy Drew book and I was always so excited to read it. I had to give it 5 stars because this is the mystery series that actually gave me the love of reading. If I never of picked this book up I might not of ever of got into reading, which would of been very sad, because reading is just so much fu ...more
Nov 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girl sleuths who've recently learned to read
I see this edition is actually a postcard book, but I wanted to review The Secret of the Old Clock with its proper cover.

This was the first chapter book I ever read. I have a very clear memory of my mom giving it to me in the car on the way back from Palo Alto, which can't possibly be correct because she wouldn't have handed me a book while driving on the freeway. Maybe she gave it to me before we started driving, and I was reading it in the car? It's kind of a mystery.

Anyway, these books taught
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A solid start to the series that got me started on not only mysteries, but also series reads. Nancy Drew embodies everything a girl hopes to be: smart, athletic, ingenious, brave, friendly, fun, pretty, adventurous ... well, I could go on and on, but you get the picture! I love trying to solve the mystery along with Nancy, although it is easier now as an adult and after I have already read it before! Recommended to children as a suspenseful, action-packed mystery that they can work to solve alon ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
So I was watching the BDSM episode of Our America, and this one chick said that she first discovered her fascination with being tied up when Nancy was being tied up by the bad guys...

Anyway, I loved this series as a child. I intend to revisit it someday. Nancy was my girl...and apparently these books are a gateway drug to a kinkier life.
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
What if goodreads doesn't adhere to half-stars rating system? We have always the option of providing us with one ourselves, don't we?

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐- roughly the equivalent of 4.5 stars, but still remains higher than 5? Serves my propensity for loose rating very well!

We now know what 18 year old girls of yore, who didn't live their lives at the rate of 20 texts per minute, 50 cuss words per hour, 30 books per month, were doing when they had nothing important to do- driving around the town in their co
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens
Shelves: ya
I think Nancy drew was the beginning of the end for me. Her adventures and the mysteries that she solved made me yearn to solve my own. This made me inquisitive, leading to a job as a journalist at 14. It also made me want to write.

And here I am...just a few years later (Ok, more than a few), and I'm a writer of suspense, mysteries and thrillers! :) Go figure.

I recommend this book for pre-teens and young teens. It's a great escape. And for women who want to remember a piece of their youth, pick
Nov 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, mystery
I broke with our usual pattern around these parts and decided to read some Nancy Drew before Brontë took it on. She had three books she was trying to choose from at the beginning of the month: The Dog Who Wouldn't Be, Stardust and The Secret of the Old Clock. She said she needed "a break" from longer books after having read Murder on the Orient Express and Poison Study, so she picked the Farley Mowat. She tossed Nancy Drew aside, and I decided to pick it up.

I am so glad I did because I love a g
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sta reci sem... naivno? Zastarelo? Mada opet ima neki svoj sarm, narocito oko glavnog lika koji predstavlja, za ono vreme nesto dosta originalno, mladu damu koja se bavi poslom koji nije tolko pozeljan za mlade dame.

Prica kao prica je dosta jednostavna, likovi su ili crni ili beli bez neke posebne dubine ali sve je nekako pisano dosta nevinim glasom sto me onemogucava da budem suvise kritican ka ovoj knjizi.

Jeina stvarno svetla tacka jeste sama Nancy koja je prikazana kao vrlo pozitivna osoba sa
Ah Nancy Drew, an oldie but a goodie! I remember reading these as a young girl and it was one of the only happy moments from my childhood, when I got lost in books such as this series. Wanted to reread them and see if they were as good as I remembered them to be. I was not disappointed! A little cheesy, but it is a juvenile book after all. Gotta love me some Nancy Drew. 🙌🏽
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm slowly making my way through reading the original text Nancy Drew books. My childhood was filled with the yellow, matte revised texts. I'm discovering a different accounting of the stories that so entertained me and filled me with curiosity. When I review these, I will just jot down my surprises or thoughts.

-She's sixteen in this book and blonde bobbed. (not the titian haired sleuth in the later books!)
-Nancy's conversation with Jeff Tucker. Not at all politically correct and als
This is the first time I've read Nancy Drew since I was about seven, and imagine my delight when she turned out to be absolutely out of her mind bonkers. She's always mulling over fresh tire tracks and sparkling her eyes at her own father while wearing an attractive linen suit. I love her. The only things missing for me were Bess and her extra five pounds.
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Honestly reading this book as an adult was almost brutal. Nancy's whole demeanor/thoughts/words used etc were just so cheesy.
BUT, I read quite a few Nancy Drew books during my preteen years & I absolutely LOVED them. I loved them enough to never part with the books & if I find the "old style" edition of a Nancy Drew book that I don't have I buy it, still.
So, I am giving the book 5 stars because when I was a kid I really did think these books were amazing. Now, as an adult, they are ridi
I want to give this a five because of the enormous impact it's had on the popular imagination, and because it's the first book in a series that features a female main character who is smart and brave and rescues her boyfriend instead of the other way around, and because I read it about 100000 times when I was a kid, but the writing is just so bad. One thing that never struck me before: why are there so many pairs of siblings in this book? Two aging sisters, two aging brothers, two young sisters, ...more
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won't knock this too much as this was the series that made me a reader but dang, it's like a book version of Scooby Doo!
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, usa
This is Nancy's very first mystery in which she searches for a missing will. Joshua Crowley has been dead for a few months and when Nancy comes across several people telling her that he had promised to remember them in his will, but didn't, she gets curious. Determined to find the will, especially because it benefited a rich local family that Nancy didn't like, she sets out on her first adventure.

There is a bit of class discrimination in this book towards the rich family, who annoyed Nancy by tr
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I hadn't read this since 1964 or so ...

Over-the-top stereotypes, including: the villains who are dark and snarly; the snobbish girls/former classmates of Nancy who look down on her; the stalwart, wise and earnest father; the kindly housekeeper; the caretaker with a weird accent. (New England? Rhode Island? Middle-Earth?) hehe

Contrived situations. Life-or-death struggles. Stuck in a closet. Almost discovered going through a van of old furniture. Thieves and miscreants and little old ladies l
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first impression of this book, AKA the first sentence completely and totally put me off. I don't know what kind of person Carolyn Keene was, but i would not like to be her friend. Firstly, she writes like a snob. For example "Nancy Drew, a good-looking girl..." that important to the story? Then another part..."she goes shopping in River Heights finest store"....oooookaaaay..."She pulls up in her blue convertible to her big mansion with two garages"...fine! ^_^ We get the point. ...more
Gary Butler
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
91st book read in 2017.

Number 340 out of 655 on my all time book list.

Just a kind story of people needing help during the depression and someone stepping up to help.
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8 - 10--year-olds?
Shelves: 2013
When I was a kid I blasted through all of these books one summer, and came away with a lifelong automatic crush on any woman who has strawberry blonde hair. Which, btw, she doesn't even have in this first book, it's just blonde. I looked it up and apparently her hair color evolved. Two stars for blonde hair.

This is a children's book, written at a very basic level. I don't know, eight-year-olds? Whatever the stage is where kids start reading chapter books. It'll have some unusual words - I think
Waffling between 3.5 and 4 stars, mostly for the nostalgia factor.
LH Johnson
It's interesting to consider just how old this series is now. The Secret of the Old Clock, the first in the mythic Nancy Drew series, was originally published in 1930 with a substantial revision in 1959. That's a fair while, even for me who quite enjoys the more ancient side of children's literature. Yet this edition of The Secret of The Old Clock is fresh, breezy and reads rather as if it could have been written yesterday. There's still a space for this ferociously girl-positive novel, even whe ...more
Talk about taking a step back in time! This is one of the first adult-type books that I remember reading when I was a kid. Well, it felt like I was being very mature by reading it. I reread this book now to fulfill a Pop Sugar Reading Challenge prompt, "a book you loved as a child."

I totally understand why I loved this book as a kid: an 18-year-old girl with her own car and no immediate cares in the world embarks on solving a relatively benign mystery, that of finding the will of a man who has r
I remember reading lots of Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Famous Five, Secret Seven and Malory Towers books while growing up.

Came across this book and thought of reading this to revive old memories. I don't think I have read this one before though.

18 yr old Nancy Drew lives with her Father (a well-known lawyer) and a Housekeeper. She is everybody's favorite. By nature she is a busy-body having everybody's good at heart.

In this story Nancy is on a quest to find a will that would help people who need the
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a trip down memory lane... Although I always preferred Trixie Belden over Nancy, I still have a soft spot for the titian haired sleuth.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
This is a DNF for me. I didn't grow up on these and so they don't hold any nostalgia. I probably would have loved this book as a child but I just can't get into it and I pushed the first 100 pages. Time to just call it a day. Sorry, Nancy Drew!

Ana Rînceanu
The writing was okay and overall the book is fine for kids, I've just aged out of the target demographic.
"Nancy Drew, an attractive girl of eighteen, was driving home along a country road in her new, dark blue convertible."

And with that fateful first line begins the journeys of Nancy Drew. Little did she realize that these adventures would last for years to come.

Nancy Drew was my childhood. Since I was handed a copy of this book when I was 8 years old, the same age my mother was when she first read Nancy Drew, I was hooked. I dabbled in some Trixie Belden and the Boxcar Children (I even named one
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Black Jacket Mystery (Trixie Belden, #8)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport (Bobbsey Twins, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #10)
  • The Clue of the Broken Locket (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Cocoa Beach
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
    $8.24 $2.99
  • When You Reach Me
    $7.99 $1.99
“Read, read, read. That's all I can say.” 2107 likes
“Not many girls would have used their wits the way you did," the officer observed.” 37 likes