Start by marking “Deception” as Want to Read:
Deception

Deception

England, 1294
USA Today bestselling author brings you a scorching hot, second-chance romance with a warrior on a mission of revenge & the woman who might just make him give up everything…even his life.

First he loved her. Then he abandoned her. Now he’s the only one who can save her.

A dashing con man on a mission of revenge…
Irishman Kier once served as the ‘Piper,’ enti
Mass Market Paperback, 356 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by Pocket

To ask other readers questions about Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deception

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
For the life of me I can not understand why Kris Kennedy isn't more popular. I guess it could be due to the medieval genre not being popular right now, but boy howdy are people missing out. I love love her books,(The Irish Warrior my favorite and reviewed https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... ) her writing style kind of reminds me of Teresa Medeiros. Anyway, per the usual with her, this book was great.

As much as I love reading her books, I hate reviewing them because her plots are so intrica
Jujubee
“Well, that was exciting, aye?”
“Dear God,” she whispered...

Sa-woon! Yes, Kier. Yes it's everything exciting!

What can I say? I lurve Kris Kennedy's medieval romances, where men are men and women are extraordinary.

Set in the late 13th century, Deception, aptly named, is a nail-biting tale of deception and double-cross set amidst greed, villainy, and high treason.
Kier and Sophia meet unexpectedly after five years apart. They've buried their younger selves' history down deep.
Hardened and guarded
Jenny Q
4.5 Stars. This is going on my Best-of-2012 list, and no one could be more surprised than me! I didn't make it very far into Kris Kennedy’s first novel, The Irish Warrior, and I was hesitant when this one showed up unsolicited for review. But I'm happy to say that Ms. Kennedy has come a long way in three novels, and I was really impressed with Deception.

England, 1294. After five years spent living a quiet life in hiding as a minor silk merchant in a minor town, Sophia Darnly’s on the run for her
Jujubee
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC for November 2017 re-release...can't wait to dive back in ;)
Angelc
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: already-own-read
I was really impressed with this medieval historical romance. It was quite different from the norm, and didn't really follow the regular formula of historical romances. The writing style was very different, almost lyrical in some places which made for a really romantic read.

Kier wasn't totally my type of hero, he was a little too alpha for me, but I still liked him. His alpha personality was balanced well with Sophia's strength, so he never seemed too overbearing or anything. She had too much st
Stevie
Love this author. I can always count on her to tell a well spun story. No exception here, the writing is wonderful, giving the characters and action dimension but the story, as well as it was told did not hold my attention. I found it hard to believe that no one recognized Kier and Sophia, or maybe that Kier and Sophia thought no one would recognize them and their history to see right through their deception and honestly I lost patience. I am all for angst but not when its so obvious you know th ...more
Tam
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kier & Sophia's story was just wonderful. Torn apart, years earlier, by her father's lies, they are given a second chance at love. But, this will depend on whether they can learn to trust each other, again, and if they can make it through alive.

This book was the perfect balance of romance, suspense, danger, intrigue, double-crosses and reconciliation. The plot line moved at a quick pace and kept me captivated throughout. The characters were engaging and really drew you into their stories. I
April
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure, betrayal
Such a fantastic Medieval Romance!! From the beginning it grabs your attention and your heart and keeps you glued to the pages. Fast paced, well written story with suspense, a bit of humor, plenty of action, passion and palpable danger, makes DECEPTION a thrilling and intriguing tale . Add in a mixture of revenge, a second chance romance, and you will find yourself turning pages, hoping all ends well for the two main characters. Powerful, thrilling and a must read by Kris Kennedy.
I received a c
Jessica
Aug 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Normally I love historical romances, but I just couldn't really get into this one. The characters are interesting enough, with a hard-headed Sophia who can really hold her own around dark and dangerous men. Kier is your typical bad boy on the outside and softy on the inside. He works in a dirty trading business set on revenge, but he has a soft spot in his heart for Sophia.

Sophia and Kier have a past that's not really clear to the reader, but we know that they used to be together, but something
CoffeeTimeRomance andMore
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The only chance Sophia Darnly has of staying alive is to retrieve her father’s ledger and somehow get it to the King. For years she kept record of her father’s dealings, hoping that one day she will be able to stop the men who pray like vultures on the unfortunate.

Burn scars crisscrossing Kieran’s body serve as a daily reminder of why his plan for revenge must succeed. The man he is after must be stopped, and Kier will make it happen one way or another.

Seeing Kier again after so many years is al
Tara West
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I one-click any book by Kris Kennedy, my favorite historical author, because of her beautiful prose, heart-stopping sexual tension, and swoon-worthy heroes. I was not disappointed with Deception. When you read a book of hers, you aren't just going on a journey, you are going on a journey with a world class view. Her prose shapes her compelling story between these star-crossed lovers, Sophia brave, beautiful, and broken-hearted and Kier, the dark and sexy Irishman set out for revenge.

I don't want
Nicole Laverdure
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really love Ms. Kennedy's Books, she is one of my favorite authors for the medieval period. She puts her characters, tall and sexy Kier and beautiful heroine Sophia in a story of danger, intrigue, secrets and love. Deception is a suspense I found different from her previous books and I loved it. If you love historical romance, then this book is for you!
Maria Dariotis
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deception does not deceive! This was a PHENOMENAL book,5 super stars!!
Kris Kennedy has totally rocked my socks off!
Kier and Sophia, Sophia and Kier hate you love you - they go back and forth but the chemistry between them oh my goodness does it scorch the pages.🔥🔥🔥
Kier otherwise known as The Irishman de Grey is a criminal. The middle man, the coercer for Cosimo Endolte a man no one ever double crossed and lived to tell the tale.
Things are about to get very hot for Kier, betrayed by the father
Debbie Glenn Brown
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Irishman Kier’s job once was enticing wealthy, unscrupulous men into dealings with other wealthy, unscrupulous men until he was betrayed and left for dead. Now five years later he’s a man on a mission of revenge, and the men who once betrayed him are about to pay. He’s got everything planned except the one thing he never expected Sophie Darnley the woman he loved and left behind. Sophia Darnly is stunned by the reappearance of the outlaw lover who abandoned her years ago, who left her behind whe ...more
Lillian Cummings
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you give up for love? Kier knew that he couldn't give Sophia the life that she wanted. He believed that they could have a life but what kind of life would it be always looking over the shoulders. He is given a second chance at life and he has to run and plan his revenge. Sophia was forced to marry another man and it wasn't a kind marriage but she was really good at keeping books and she wrote everything deal down. She has escaped with the ledger but she thinks that someone will help h ...more
Candy Briggs
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kier is Irish and has no conscious. After the head of the consortium felt Kier had betrayed him, he had him put into a shack and burnt it to ground. Sophia Darnly is out to keep herself alive if possible. Kier has a scam going.
This is a very unusual story. The descriptions were good and gave you the background, so you can imagine yourself in the tale. The characters were fun but also very animated and full of life. Kier wants revenge and to destroy Cosimo. But he also wants to protect Sophia. T
Ann (Fanni Ann)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a fabulous tale set in medieval England with corruption, treachery and a good dose of romance. Someone is trying to get their hands on Sophia's late Fathers ledger, where his dealings with corrupt merchants has been noted, and they will do anything to get it, even kill Sophia. Kier, used to work for Sophia's father until those same men made him an outlaw, now he's back and wants vengeance. Sophia never forgave Kier, the man she loved, from running from her, but now he's back and she need ...more
Lori D
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story has a little of it all! Suspense, intrigue, romance, danger, and even an Irishman! Irishman Kier has led a deceptive life, dealing with many unscrupulous men and has made a living. Now, betrayed by the very men he dealt with, he is determined to seek revenge. But the reappearance of Sophia Darnly, changes everything. Once lovers until Kier abandoned her, she holds a document that could get her killed by the same men Kier is trying to bring down. Can a prior relationship bring them tog ...more
Jan Goodard
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although this book takes place in medieval times, it reads like a modern day mob story, complete with a very evil mob boss, enforcers, and a Mafia princess. Kier was a powerful enforcer, at least until he fell for the princess. Then his problems really escalated. Five years later they meet again, each trying to deny their feelings for each other. Circumstances put their very lives in danger even as they try to bring down the mob boss, Cosimo. This is a very fast paced storyline, filled with intr ...more
Colleen Perry
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love with second chance

4 stars as I didn’t like quite as well as first book Claiming Her. To me it started a little slow, but if you stay with it it is well worth your time. It had lots of adventure, nail biting intrigue, romance, and romantic love making. I liked both H/h, they were both strong, but troubled with pasts. Last half I couldn’t put it down, had to see what happened next. I don’t like to go into every detail, as you can get that from description of book. I enjoyed it very much, and
Lisarenee
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Notes: I received the book from the publisher.

My Synopsis:
Sophia Darnly's world was tumbling down around her. She'd tried to escape her past, but the past has a habit of coming back to bite you. Her father, once a respected Judge, had been found to be corrupt and had been executed for his crimes. Sophia had gone into hiding and had married. Her husband, however, had died a year ago and now someone was coming after her, or more specifically, after her father's ledger. A ledger reputed to contain
Lisa C
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Adventure, intrigue, theft, love, passion, forgiveness. This book has it all. Deception, of course. Deceptions of thieves amongst thieves, deceptions of family members, yes, but more importantly in this story is the deception that Kieran (H) tries against Sophia (h) - tries to keep his true self hidden from her, tries to keep his feelings of love from her. She, of course, fouls that up with her love for him, as all good h's do. Masterfully written, you won't want to put it dow ...more
Christina
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great read from Kris Kennedy.
Kris has a way of of making you love the antihero and wanting them to win in the end. She does it again with Kier de Grey.
Sophia and Kier once loved each other but lies told by her father drove them apart. Five years later they meet again and struggle to trust.
I will let you read to find out if they find their way to a HEA.
This book has it all action, lies, lust...I couldn't put it down.
Melanie Lear
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written medieval romance. Kris Kennedy has completely captured the excitement and piracy of this era. Roguishly handsome, but damaged Keir and his fiery and beautiful Sophie make a combustible pair who have to fight hard to stay together. This is truly a page turner and i found I couldn't put the book down, reading long into the night. I very much look forward to reading more from this talented author. Well done Kris Kennedy.
Tammy
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked from beginning to end on this medieval romance. Kier is out for revenge but will the woman he never stopped loving ruin his plans? This story is fast-paced with tons of drama, suspense and intrigue. Kier and Sophia are great characters and their chemistry is steamy. I was up into the wee hours of the morning as I couldn’t put it down. A great read!
Margaret
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Revenge

After five years, a pirate seeks revenge for the men who left him to die. Now the woman he's always love stands in the way of his revenge, or does she stand by his side seeking her own? The love scenes are exceptionally vivid, intense and will singe your fingers as you turn the page. Kennedy knows how to write and keep you enthralled.
kattie
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story.

I thought it was well written, had my interest first page to last, the story was to short. I look forward to reading more of his books. I recommend everyone to read this book. Kattie.
Diana Du plessis
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the other reviews and from my point, it was fantastic. I loved the passion and the cunning mind of a young man planning to destroy those who did him wrong. The adventure the two of them concocted. I couldn't put it down. This is my second book I read of her and it's damm good girl.
Kristina
Jan 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A quick and enjoyable read.
Drita
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

While I enjoy fiction of most types, I always like to read a good historical novel. My favorite genre is a realistic fiction, glad i found yet another author to deliver just that!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Vow
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • Starlight (The Christies, #2)
  • Pleasures of a Tempted Lady (Donovan Sisters, #3)
  • Immortal Champion (Immortal Brotherhood, #3)
  • Forever a Lady (The Rumor, #2)
  • Once Upon a Dream (The Montegu Family, #2)
  • The Darkest Knight (Welles Trilogy #1)
  • Unmasked
  • Lord Rogue
  • The Dark Knight's Captive Bride
  • The Troubadour's Romance
  • Touch of a Scoundrel (Touch of Seduction, #3)
  • Kidnapping the Laird
  • Angel of Fire
  • A Whisper of Rosemary (Medieval Herb Garden, #3)
  • Conquered by the Highlander (Conquered Bride, #1)
  • The Lord's Captive  (Border, #2)
USA Today bestselling historical romance author writing super sexy, big adventure romances set in the ages when big bad knights in armor and questionable chivalry reigned supreme.

The heroes are hard, the heroines strong, and the passion burns.

I also write sweet & dirty fun romantic comedies as Bella Love!

Open to conversations here on Goodreads o
“I remember you.” 1 likes