Start by marking “Caffeine” as Want to Read:
Caffeine

Caffeine

Brandon Dauphin feels like a dying ember. He's jobless and feels worthless, and falling in love has only made his problem worse.

In an authoritarian and overstimulated 22nd-century America, all he can do to relieve his pain is indulge in the computer-simulated fantasies of a network called Dynamic Reality...until a virus takes control of the simulation.

Unable to return to t
Published November 15th 2011 by Splashdown Books (first published October 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Caffeine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caffeine

Start your review of Caffeine
Lisa Godfrees
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Usually when I pick up a book to read, I can guess where the story is headed based on reading the book blurb. So setting out on this adventure I was relatively sure I knew where we were headed, but I couldn't have been more wrong. (Not that that's a bad thing. Quite the opposite, in fact).

The beginning of Caffeine reminded me of the movie Vanilla Sky. Remember that one? You couldn't tell what was real and what wasn't. While Vanilla Sky annoyed me quite a bit, this book did not--once I figured ou
D.M. Dutcher
I didn't expect to connect with this book so much. It reminds me of a Christian Serial Experiments Lain, with the strengths and weaknesses of that anime. I know there are flaws to it, but it's so unusual to read a philosophic Christian cyberpunk book that blurs reality, virtual reality, and the realm of the spirit that I couldn't put it down.

Brendan Dauphin is a man in a future world where everyone it seems is unemployed and on some form of dole. He truly loves a girl named Vair, but is tormente
Gerry
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting read that I thought was going to be a simple sci-fi book. I have to say, I was surprised when the Christian message started slowly working its way into the story and then finally took a twist and became the purpose of the story. Overall, I really enjoyed it. The author's faith is very evident and it was refreshing to me.

I didn't give it 5 stars because this is the author's first book and it is a tad long. Also (this could have been just from the eBook formatting), but the s
Beth
May 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Part of me wanted to go easy on this book because it was a Christian book. But, I have to resist that urge. All that does is collectively lower the quality of Christian books, music, and art. So that said, putting this book on a level playing field, it doesn't hold up. The ideas are good and had promise but prose is almost comically bad.
Robert Lewter
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a nice surprise;not what I expected. I suggest you read it.
Michael
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
good concept, but it strayed too far towards religion.
Cathy