Start by marking “I'll Follow the Moon” as Want to Read:
I'll Follow the Moon

I'll Follow the Moon

On a quiet, moonlit beach, a baby green sea turtle stirs from a dream of home. Slowly, slowly, with a tap, click, crack, the baby turtle embarks upon a mysterious nighttime journey. Gentle, tender verse and enchanting illustrations carry this tranquil tale from sand to sea.
Published November 10th 2010 by Wee Words LLC (first published September 7th 2005)

La Coccinelle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
This book has been kicking around in my Kindle library for a while, so I thought I'd read it and cross it off the list. I'm honestly baffled as to why it has such high reviews. Aside from the gentle rhythm and repetition that would make it a good bedtime read (I found it a bit of a soporific myself), this book doesn't have much to recommend it. The pictures are just okay, and the whole premise is flawed.

This is a very unrealistic depiction of baby sea turtles. The reality is far more brutal and
Chris
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little story about baby turtles.
Heidi
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five Stars: A charming little book with rhyming verse.
This is a sweet little story that follows a newly hatched sea turtle as he endeavors to reach the sea and find his mama. It starts with the cracking of a small egg and the emergence of a baby turtle. Each step of his journey is covered as he bursts out of the egg and learns to make his way through the sticky sand to the water's edge. Each page has a short verse in rhyme and at the end of each and every page is the touching little rhyme:
"I'm
Kathy Horsman
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2r, kid-books
I'll be honest, the second this book came in the mail and I opened it, I was already sold by the gorgeous cover with the most adorable baby turtle I have ever seen in my life. When I opened the book and read it?

I was not dissapointed!

The illustrations are absolutely beautiful in soft, beachy colors that take you right to the beach immediately. From the eggs to the new hatch-lings to finding the ocean for the first time, these tiny creatures come to live throughout the pages both literally and
GoldenjoyBazyll
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
When I lived in Florida- I patrolled a section of Ponte Vedra Beach for Greenpeace looking for sea turtles! When we found the nests we would call in specially trained rangers. They would come and take the eggs to safe houses. The really cool thing was at high tides - after the babies hatched- we would gather and put them into the water to help them start their amazing journeys!!!! It was beyond COOL!

This book did a beautiful job of tellig the story!
Candace
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The blog tour for this book (and her other children's books) is running through April 22nd, 2013. You can enter to win $500 in Amazon Gift Cards (DOUBLED if you review them!) and a Kindle Fire. Tour page is found here: http://www.candacesbookblog.com/2013/...

First thing I notice when reading any of Stephanie's books, is the verse. The story flows so well and is so fun to read. It's also easy for younger ones to memorize, and eventually read themselves, because of the repeated phrases and the eas
Heather
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book took my breath away when I opened it. The water color pictures are just beautiful and the colors of blue and green against the tan sandy shores are perfect. It's such a tranquil book, just looking at it. And though it's about the birth of a sea turtle and his search for his mother, it's not frantic. The turtle is sure he'll find the way.
"I'm coming mama, I'll see you soon I know just how....I'll follow the moon." This phrase is repeated on each page and it again shows the bond between
Janie
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i LOVED the picture of the baby turtle cuddling against the dirt! The text was just okay. The repeated couplet is kind of tidal. The font shtuff was regrettably kitschy.

I read this to the cutest nephew EVAR while he relaxed in his new "nest" (bean-bag chair).
Julia
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of the few more modern books that I could find on the free Kindle store just recently. Due to the cute and adorable baby turtle on the front and the title my attention was caught. And with the exception of one or two parts that aren't realistic this book was an adorable read that would be a great lullaby read for children.

Basically there is a very small introduction about green sea turtles on the information page and then an explanation about how this book came to be. From there t
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
This is such an astounding little book! I love turtles of all shapes and sizes, but there is something truly magical about these baby sea turtles that made everything seem so perfect.
I am a true fan of rhyme in stories, especially children's books, and I'll Follow the Moon is made more interesting with the precious saying that is repeated throughout its pages:

"I'm coming, Mama, I'll see you soon I know just how...I'll follow the moon"

That saying just rolls right off your tongue like waves gent
Amy Fournier
This book is so fun and educational! It's a wonderful book to read to or with your children. With rich illustrations, and beautiful writing it is a book that you can enjoy over and over again. My daughter can't get enough of it and I am so happy with how much she enjoys it. It has some repetitive lines that helps younger children to interact and read along which is also awesome for their confidence in learning to read.

This book is about the journey of a turtle from when it first hatches, to fin
Cayr
Jan 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
A gentle, comforting storybook with the message that even though the world is a big (sometimes scary) place, and even though we are sometimes asked to do difficult things by ourselves, mom is out there, and she is comforting and safe, and that is a constant. The message is told through the story of turtles hatching on a beach, surfacing, and following the light of the moon to find the water.

The book is illustrated by Lee Edward Fodi, and many of the pictures are not very interesting. Mostly the
Ellen
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
I'll Follow the Moon is absolutely delightful. It focuses on the journey of baby turtles as they are growing in their eggs, hatch, and make their journey to the sea. The author has written the story in such a way that will capture your child's attention, as the baby turtles journey to find their mother. In addition to be a wonderful story, I'll Follow the Moon also teaches your child about nature. As an added bonus, Stephanie Lisa Tara has also provided learning activities in the back of the boo ...more
A.E. Curzon
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations first drew me to this book – they are delightful! Although, with the exception of the line which is repeated on every page, I did find the rhyming a little hard to read since it didn't entirely flow. I have read some of the reviews which argue the point that this tale is far from factual in terms of the beginning of life as a turtle. Although I have to agree with this, it is worth bearing in mind that this will probably be read to very small children who won’t be too worried ab ...more
Jessica at Book Sake
Reviewed by Jessica for Book Sake.

Of all of Stephanie’s books this one had the most lyrical beauty of all. While there are two lines that are repeated on every page, it adds to the story in showing what the newly hatched turtle has it’s mind set on. The illustrations were simple and sweet all on their own. This is a story to get kids interested in learning more about nature!

Book Received: For free from author in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book! The words and illustrations were equally impressive. The author wrote the book shortly after she had her baby girl and noticed turtle babies running for the ocean. I'll Follow the Moon is a great book to teach kids about sea turtles. It follows a group of turtle babies as they hatch and look for water. Then as they find water you watch them adjust to it and eventually the babies find their mom.
Anabelle
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Turtle-heart leap!

This was a cute book. I got mine (kindle edition) from Amazon for free and read it off my browser. It gets a little brainwashing but I suppose that mimics the baby turtles' single-mindedness to return to their mother. If I had a collection of children's books, this one would definitely be part of it.
Darlene
So adorable! I picked this up for free for my Kindle. I had a few moments between shiny things and decided to read it. There isn't much of a story but the illustrations were sweet. I, especially, liked the smiling turtle baby coming out of its shell. Not very scientifically correct, but would do well as a bedtime read.
Michelle
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forpleasure
This was a cute and touching story with great illustrations! I remember when I was a kid looking at pictures in these types of books for hours. This book is like the ones that hooked me. It has catchy word phrases, but the best part is the adorable pictures. I can see this being a child's favorite, especially if they like turtles.
Janet C-B
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, kindle
I live in Florida, but have not had the opportunity to watch sea turtles hatching and making their way to the ocean. I enjoyed the children's story, the repeated phrase and the soft pastel colored illustrations. I will read it to my 3 yr old great- niece when I see her in a couple of weeks, to get a child's reaction. The ending seemed abrupt to me, but overall a pleasant children's story.
Shanda Kinkade
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very sweet children's book. I loved the illustrations of the turtles hatching and making their way to the ocean. It was a nice read, in a very sing-songy way that was pleasing to the ears. I could definitely see younger children loving this book and quickly picking up on the catch phrase that is repeated throughout the book.
Jinky
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Cute, rhythmic, and soothing. The beautiful illustrations enhanced this book. A wonderful tale about the caring nature of mothers. A definite great freebie find!

Jinky is Reading
Joanna
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
The pictures are beautiful. There is a coloring page on the kindle version and links for related preschool activities. I thought the poetry was just ok but my four year old asked a lot of of questions about sea turtles so it does engage young children.
Lydia
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The text repeats but I like that about this book- it gives it a nice comforting melody. This is one of our favorite bedtime stories right now and whenever I get to the I'll follow the moon line I have two little voices joining in with me. The artwork is fantastic.
Steph
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comforting story that follows the path of a newly born sea turtle who is trying desperately to connect with its mother. The illustrations make the story come even more alive.
Kristin
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

Used this in a unit plan about the moon. It love it so much. So cute and easy for kids.
Al Andy
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
inspired
Barry Simiana
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of small kids
Recommended to Barry by: The Author
Have just started reading this a few nights to Pooger. He loves the pictures tho he's still a bit little to understand the text. It' a beautiful book. The new babies will love it too.
Audrey Grant
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
Too cute!! A lovely little book about baby turtles hatching.
Lana
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my grandson, he liked the turtles and the way they hatched from eggs. It was sweet how they swam to thier mothers.
  • Animal Ark: Celebrating Our Wild World in Poetry and Pictures
  • Thunder Underground
  • Daylight Starlight Wildlife
  • In the Sea
  • Follow the Moon Home: A Tale of One Idea, Twenty Kids, and a Hundred Sea Turtles
  • Counting Lions: Portraits from the Wild
  • In the Canyon
  • Buried Sunlight: How Fossil Fuels Have Changed the Earth
  • Seeds, Bees, Butterflies, and More!: Poems for Two Voices
  • Look to the North: A Wolf Pup Diary
  • Don't Juggle Bees! And Other Useless Advice For Silly Children
  • The Peace Tree from Hiroshima: The Little Bonsai with a Big Story
  • Animal Atlas (An Animal Planet Book)
  • Circle
  • Give Bees a Chance
  • Whose Hands are These?: A Community Helper Guessing Book
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • Bravo!: Poems About Amazing Hispanics
Stephanie Lisa Tara founded a publishing company that empowers kids to care about the planet, themselves and each other. Her creed is activism, inspiring the next generation to make the world a better place. Adults love her books because they help explain 'stuff' in gentle, giggly ways. Kids love her books because they are super fun to read. Who is Stephanie? A San Francisco mom with a great big h ...more