Start by marking “The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)” as Want to Read:
The Savage Blue (The Vicious Deep #2)

The Savage Blue

(The Vicious Deep #2)

A storm is coming...

The ocean is a vicious place. Deeper and darker than Tristan could have imagined. Beneath its calm blue surface, an ancient battle is churning —and no one is safe.

In the quest for the Sea Throne, Tristan has already watched one good friend die. Now he must lead the rest on a dangerous voyage in search of the trident that will make him king. But while Tr
Published May 7th 2013 by Sourebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Savage Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savage Blue

Marie
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome sequel... But can't compare to the first.

There were aspects I really liked, liked and as with all books didn't like.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Kurt thing but I loved getting to know Brendan and Marty. Gwen.... I never saw that coming but I liked it I think. I mean I was beginning to like her even more than Layla and that wouldn't have wroed because Tristan would never give his heart to anyone other than her.

Can't wait for book 3!
Zoraida
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This book brings a song to my mermish heart.
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
This is going to be short and sweet because this book did not impress me. I really enjoyed The Vicious Deep. I was on pins when it ended-- I couldn't believe that scene was the end of the first book. So naturally, I was anxious to read The Savage Blue and find out what happened next.

Unfortunately, this book dragged on for-ev-er. I looked at my status updates and saw it took me a month to read this book. An entire month! That is unheard of. I am a book-a-day kind of gal. That right there speaks
Kayla
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Um... I couldn't honestly care at this point
Carmen
Nov 05, 2012 marked it as to-read
...betrayal? That doesn't sound good.
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews here: Literary Meanderings

- - -

*This review may contain spoilers for The Vicious Deep (book 1)!*

The Savage Blue picks up right where we left off in The Vicious Deep.

Tristan and his diverse troupe of supporters & friends are still in the midst of the Sea King championship. Tristan holds one piece of the trident and is on the hunt for the oracles who hold the other two.

But time is not on their side.
“It's happening,” [...] “Now that the trident is broken, the king's seal is
Carrie Ardoin
Apr 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Well, the first book in this series, The Vicious Deep, left things with a cliffhanger so I was definitely ready to see what came next for Tristan after he found out the truth about what he was. Unfortunately, the second book in the series didn't live up to what I hoped it would be.

This book starts off right after, and I mean RIGHT AFTER the events of book one. It had been several months since I'd read The Vicious Deep, and I didn't have time to reread it before starting Savage Blue. But if you c
Megalion
I'm afraid I've done Ms. Córdova a great disservice. I didn't get the reviews written anytime soon after I finished this trilogy.

Many months later, I can't cite any specifics from the story but here's what I can say.

I've found that merpeople stories are a rarity. And not always good ones either. Which is probably why they're not as prevalent as other sub genres in YA urban fantasy.

This trilogy is rock solid. Great character development and a well developed story that is paced well over the th
Anne
Nov 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
You know what I like about these books?
Tristan doesn't sound like a girl. I mean, he's not one of those over-the-top alpha guys, but he's not all touchy-feely.

I thought the plot in this one was better than the first book for some reason, but I honestly can't remember what happened in the first book, either. Sooo. Yeah, I just liked it better...I guess.

Check it out if you're looking for something with mermaids.
ke-sha
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5

I have mixed feelings sort of. On one hand I loved it and on the other I have a few problems with it. but Over all its still an awesome read & I cant wait for the next book :D
Emma-Lauren
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Need third book NOW!!!!!!
usagi ☆ミ
3.5/5 stars.

Oh, "Savage Blue". While I love your basic story, I do feel like you could have been so much more. I definitely can't wait to read book #3, if just for the showdown with Nieve, but I do feel you could have had so much more happen with this installment. But if you're a fan of Tristan and co., I think you'll enjoy "Savage Blue" regardless of my nitpicks. If you're looking for some vicious mermaid action this year with some old friends, definitely check out "The Savage Blue".

My biggest
Chapter by Chapter
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I adored The Vicious Deep by author Zoraida Cordova. It was such a fun read and at the time I had been reading a ton of mermaid-focused novels, out of them all The Vicious Deep was one of the most memorable. Mainly because the main character Tristan had been laugh out loud hilarious and the scene when he first discovers his merman tail has been stuck on my mind for quite some time (it’s one of my favorite comedic scenes ever guys). Getting to read The Savage Blue was awesome for so many reasons, ...more
Liviania
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Last year was the year of the mermaid books, and THE VICIOUS DEEP was my favorite. THE SAVAGE BLUE lives up to its predecessor and then some. Tristan is one of several contestants for the throne of the Sea King. He's in the lead, with one of three pieces of the trident, but that's far from enough to win the crown.

However, Tristan's fellow competitors aren't his main antagonists. In fact, they tend to be pretty alright guys. Tristan, by the end of THE SAVAGE BLUE, still strikes me as the best cho
Carly
4.5

description
...that's what I imagine Tristan like against all the forces. He's the tiny clown fish (can't remember his name).

Definitely a great sequel to The Vicious Deep. It took me awhile to get into the book, and not because it was slow the action is practically non-stop, but once I did I couldn’t set it down!

Tristan’s has a lot to go through in this book. With a sea dragon, crazy mermaid princesses, demanding and loony oracles (though I suppose I’d be a bit nuts too having to see the future in ever
Rachel
I adore Tristan. I love the way Cordova writes out his thoughts. They are truly beautiful words. They are deep and dark and twisting, but also light and funny at the same time. It's great. I really, really like the imagery that goes into this. I can practically see those evil, freaky, mermaid oracles-slash-witches. Shelly's awesome. Nieve is really scary.
(minor) (view spoiler)
Step Into Fiction
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jessica
I said it in my review of The Vicious Deep and I will say it again, this is probably one of the best books I've read that's written by a female author but told from a male's POV. He sounds like any teenage boy I work with and it's just amazing how real he sounds. It's hard to come across books told from a boy's POV but written by a woman and it seem so real. So hats off to you, Zoraida!

That being said, I loved The Savage Blue. The friendships that were formed in The Vicious Deep formed to become
Tamara
I feel like there's something missing between the first book and this one, a missing link from point A to point B--particularly when it comes to Tristan and Layla. (view spoiler)

Tristan is more likable in this book, probably because he's living up to his reputation concerning girls. He's forced to grow up and accept responsibilities in this co
K
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
The writing in these books can be beautiful, but unfortunately it's obscured by the poor progression of action, i.e. it's not quite clear who is doing what where at all times. The book feels a bit like a first draft, and while I appreciate how quickly the plot moved, a lot of action got lost between chapters. The big problem of this book isn't that it dragged, as is usually the problem with middle books, but that too many things happened. Still, I enjoy Tristan as a main character, and Córdova w ...more
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
asdfjk;l. Like it's predecessor, The Savage Blue is my favorite summer blockbuster in book form. Tristan's Tony Stark wit, Thor-like mythos, Steve Rogers-esque heroism is a winning formula. I love this book to death, and cannot WAIT until the next one.

Full review at merbooksblog.blogspot.com to come.
Victoria
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book couldn't put it down can't wait till the third book plus Layla and tristin are so cute together
Ashley Chen
Mar 01, 2012 marked it as on-hold
Shelves: arcs
Grabby Hands
GIVE MEEEEEE, OR YOU SHALL DIE

Okay, have to put this on hold since I realized I have many blog tour books I have to review first... T______T wait for me guys!
Kristi
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this series! Review to come!
Dallas Jones
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I WANT IT:)
Ricky
And so continueth the adventures of Tristan the Merman! More action, more mayhem, more wacky humor...and some seriously twisted stuff right at the end. Man, the feels...
Rebecca
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This series started out with some promise even though I didn't find Tristan to be that likeable of a character at first. However, this second book was a struggle to get through and I most likely won't read the third, unless it's to skim through quickly to get the gist of the story.

The Savage Blue was in dire need of editing. Whole chapters and chunks could have been cut out of the book to make the storyline faster paced. There were just bizarre things thrown in (some random card game?) and over
Julia O'Connell
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tristan continues his quest to find all the pieces of the trident and become sea king. But it soon becomes apparent that first he will need to face his most fearsome enemy: the sea witch Nieve.

This book had a bit of an episodic feel rather than a cohesive arc, and it jumped around to different locations with different subsets of the main group of characters. Tristan didn't get to spend as much time with Layla as in the first book, and their interactions are always my favorite. But I also loved
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
A tighter narrative than the first book in the trilogy. This book immerses the reader once again in magical Coney Island, where vampires and demigods come to the aid of a half-human merman on his quest for the pieces of the ocean's scepter.

It was fast-paced and possibly over-seasoned with characters, though each new face had just enough of a voice to keep them from flatness. I'll be interested to see how the trilogy concludes!
Jenny

I enjoy this series, like this series, don't love this series. This book in particular started a bit slow and I thought it would be the dreaded second book syndrome, but it picked up and by the end I was completely involved in the story. I am going to move straight onto book 3 and get this series off my shelf.
alys ♔
Apologies for my severe laziness, but I regrettably did not take enough notes while reading this one so I've done an overall series review on the first book.

Needless to say, this book was dazzling, engaging and hilarious. I love Cordova's mermaids, and I adore Tristan. Highly recommend!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
}~>O MERBOOKS: T...: The Savage Blue 11 35 Apr 28, 2013 10:51PM

• The Twice Lost (Lost Voices, #3)
  • Deep Betrayal (Lies Beneath, #2)
  • Dark Water (Siren, #3)
  • Dangerous Depths (The Sea Monster Memoirs #2)
  • Tempest Revealed (Tempest, #3)
  • Fury's Fire (Siren's Storm, #2)
  • Stormswept
  • Descent (Son of a Mermaid, #1)
  • Evergreen (Mer Tales, #2)
  • May (Daughters of the Sea, #2)
  • Surface
  • Breathless
  • Intuition (Transcendence, #2)
  • Tides
  • Fathom
  • The Moon and the Tide (Marina's Tales, #2)
  • The Fallen Prince (Keepers of Life, #2)
  • The Rose Throne (The Rose Throne, #1)
Zoraida Córdova is the author of many fantasy novels including Star Wars: A Crash of Fate, the Brooklyn Brujas series, and The Vicious Deep trilogy. Her novel Labyrinth Lost won the International Book Award for Best Young Adult Novel in 2017. Her short fiction has appeared in the New York Times bestselling anthology Star Wars: From a Certain Point of View, and Toil & Trouble: 15 Tales of Women ...more

The Vicious Deep (3 books)
  • The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1)
  • The Vast and Brutal Sea (The Vicious Deep #3)
“May the seas bend to your journey.” 4 likes
“He's nothing but a pile of sand. Everything he ever was. Everything he would ever be is blowing away in the wind. Poof, just like that.” 0 likes