Start by marking “The Key (Sancti Trilogy #2)” as Want to Read:
The Key (Sancti Trilogy #2)

Read Excerpt

The Key (Sancti Trilogy #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  3,637 Ratings  ·  326 Reviews
Simon Toyne’s breathtaking international bestseller, Sanctus, had critics everywhere cheering, calling the author the new Dan Brown (The Da Vinci Code) or Steve Berry (The Jefferson Key), while praising Toyne’s debut thriller as “remarkable,” “thrilling,” “provocative,” “haunting,” and  “spectacular.”

The adventure continues with The Key, returning readers to the dark world
Published June 19th 2012 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Key, please sign up.
Sam No, the three books make a complete story and there are things you need to know from the first book/ will miss in the second and 3rd books

Katie Kenig
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First, let me say that once you get to about page 300 or so, you're in til the end. You won't be able to set the book down. You'll carry it with you to the kitchen for a glass of water. It'll accompany you to the bathroom. You'll have your little headlamp on in bed til the very last page. The ending is quite a ride, and worth the price of admission.

You may also end up racing with adrenaline at 2 am after staying up too late reading this book, unable to sleep because you mind is spinning with pos
Kate
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly gripping, page-turning and fully satisfying (not to mention very well-written) follow up to Sanctus, my favourite thriller of 2011. Review to come shortly on http://forwinternights.wordpress.com/

Updated to add the review:

Without doubt, Sanctus was my favourite thriller of 2011 – clever, imaginative and unusual, with an original twist in its religious mystery, all played out by an intriguing set of characters, and well-written to boot. No wonder then that I was thrilled to bits to win
Robin Carter
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
When the first book Sanctus was first announced i must admit i looked at it and thought...Nah, not for me, but i was thrown an advance copy of it and in an obliged manner i read it, and read it and read it, i was hooked and The Key is a fitting and powerful 2nd book.

Simon Toyne is one of the most original and imaginative thriller writers out there right now.

For me the book is a triumph of locations, history, and the inner working of people. for those like me in the first instance who look at the
Peter
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, thriller
Eden
The Key is the second book in the Sancti trilogy and it continues at the same fast pace as the first book, Sanctus. The first book focused on the secret within the Citadel held for many millennia and after it was revealed and released it brought disease and infection to the garden and the monks. Liv returns in this book along with Gabriel to continue on a race against time in their quest to find the mythical Garden of Eden. The task is riddled with conspiracy plots and determined factions
Ethan
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
In his debut novel, Sanctus, author Simon Toyne thrilled audiences with his high concept, religious conspiracy thriller. The dazzling story continues in The Key, the next novel in his planned trilogy. The novel opens days after the events of the previous book. After her brother's strange death captured the attention of the world, Liv Adamsen finds herself in a hospital bed, unable to fully remember the events that brought her there. She can vaguely remember entering the secretive religious Citad ...more
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to be completely honest here: whilst I thoroughly enjoyed this second book in the series I did find myself somewhat annoyed by the number of predictable moments that appeared throughout. Admittedly there were some twists and turns that I did not see coming but most I managed to work out in advance which disappointed me a lot more than I care to admit to. Nevertheless, if you have read the first in the series this second book is a must read: continuing on with what started in Sanctus.

Mu
Liz Barnsley
Dec 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hunted. Hounded. Haunted.
She is the most important person in the world. She is The Key
Journalist Liv Adamsen has escaped from the highly secretive Citadel at the heart of the ancient city of Ruin and now lies in isolation, staring at hospital walls as blank as her memory. Despite her inability to recall her past, something strange is stirring within her. She feels possessed by a sen-sation she can’t name and plagued by whispers only she can hear: “KuShiKaam,” the key.

So following on from the hea
Ian
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having loved Peter Toyne's 1st novel Sanctus, I came to this sequel with feelings of both anticipation and trepidation. Sanctus was just so good, I wondered how the author could equal it, never mind ratchet up the pleasure another notch. In many ways both feelings were borne out as although it was still a damn good read, it never quite hit the heights of the first offering and had several flaws.

It was slow to get going, with a lot of backtracking to link it to Sanctus, though once it got going a
Julie
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the first book in this series Sanctus about a secluded monastery in Turkey that holds a big secret. Sanctus was a real page turner right til the last page. The Key though suffered like many second books of having to hold the story, til the dramatic conclusion in the final third part.

It didn't help that I was only reading this one on my Kindle at work, and had a busy couple of weeks. The amount of characters too was a bit distracting, and by the end I was wondering if I should hav
Fiona
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read - starts where Sanctus left off....

This is like chocolate - once you start you cannot stop... I did think that the start of The Key was a wee bit slower than Sanctus but onle very slightly.

Cracking story of a few days.. in time....

What I want to know is how someone can write about a place that seem so real that you go look it up on the internet!!!! Yep that was me DOH!!!

I love the discriptive elements that Simon has in his writing.

Cannot wait for the next one... HURRY UP SIMON.
Kathy
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh me oh my, after reading Sanctus I could not wait for the paperback, I just had to have the hardback and I am so glad I did. I love the depth of characters within the trilogy and have to say I am very concerned over Gabriel's well being, I mean smelling oranges this could all end very badly! The book is well written, full of intrigue and conspiracy and I am already waiting anxiously for the final book. If Gabriel succumbs I will be very very upset!!
J.F. Penn
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, religious
You definitely need to read Sanctus to understand the backstory to the plot of this book, but it satisfies fans of the first with its fast pace, evil church and the awesome city of Ruin, which is a character in itself. The Sacrament is gone from the Citadel and now a plague is threatening the monks and indeed the world if a prophecy is not fulfilled in time. Can Gabriel and Liv work out how to reunite the Sacrament with the land of Eden in time?
K.Y. K.Y.
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Di buku pertama, aku kasi 3*, di buku kedua ini, aku mulai angkat topi. Karna di buku ini aku merasa bisa "tenggelam" dalam petualangan tokoh. Bukan hanya karna tema ceritanya yg oke, tp juga cara nulisnya itu bikin penasaran. Minjam kata kata teman : tricky. Iya, di tiap akhir babnya selalu bikin pertanyaan baru. Moreover : Gabriel dan Liv akhirnya ...... Arrrgggghhh, kumpret,author sableng!
Phiuh, pada akhirnya : buku ini rekomen. Siap lanjutin cari buku ketiganya :)
John Lee
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read the first part of this trilogy 'The Sanctus' at the beginning of the year and although I enjoyed the story and found it a pageturner , I found the final denouement and explanations a bit 'way out' or is it 'over left field' as our American cousins say? Or so my notes told me because, to be honest, I cant really remember.
Dont you just hate it when a book in a series that you are following spends so much time explaining the story so far, to those who couldnt be bothered to start a story at
Lucinda
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This spectacular sequel is so intensely gripping, spinechilling and exciting that you will find it hard to put it down for even a moment!

The Sequel to bestselling debut thriller novel ‘Sanctus’ is a real page-turner, as you are drawn into the magnetic narrative by such meaningful description. Affecting, stimulating and full of electric tension Simon Toyne is a master of his craft, as I can honestly say that conspiracy thrillers do not get any better than The Key. The storyline is wonderfully im
S.J.A. Turney
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Like most of the readers of Sanctus (I would guess) I finished that book wondering how on Earth Simon was going to follow it up. The ending of the first was pretty world-shaking, after all.

It took me a long time to getting round to reading The Key, largely because of a heavy reading list requirement and not having the free moments, but I have always had it floating in my MUST GET TO pile. I finally discovered that I had free moments and leapt on the books with a sense of urgent excitement.

It too
Ingrid Hansen
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this sequel is actually much better than the first book Sanctus. I really enjoyed reading it and the characters really grow on you. When you put down the book to take a break it lies on the table and winks at you to get on reading.

Simon Toyne has really managed to captivate his audience with the story which is about something much more different than I thought. I surprised me and yet not really when I thought about it because the Vatican is a big organisation who needs money to get the whe
Luanne Ollivier
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Key is the second book in Simon Toyne's debut trilogy. I was hooked by the first book - Sanctus - and have been eagerly waiting to see what happens next.

If you have not read the first book and plan to, you may want to skip this review - I don't want to spoil it for you. And really, to fully appreciate The Key, you should read Sanctus first.

Liv Ademson has escaped from the Citadel - the enclave of an ancient sect of secretive monks known as the Sancti. She's in the hospital, unable to remembe
Louann Carroll
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Key is a better read than Sanctus--and I loved that book. Now Simon Toyne has done it again, thrilling us with a fantastic story only an imaginative mind could create.

The Key begins just days after Sanctus ends. Liv Adamson awakes in a hospital bed with vague memories of her time in the Citadel. A whisper drifts through her consciousness, bringing with it an entity Liv will eventually grow to understand. In some mysterious way Liv is now the key--and that key must release the the well of lif
Pamela Kramer
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The Key," the second entry in the "Sanctus" trilogy by Simon Toyne, continues the eerie, scary, and exciting story of a heroine bedeviled, as it were, by her mystical spiritual attachment to an extremely important female biblical character. More about that attachment shall not be revealed herein.

It must suffice to say that the heroine, Liv Adamsen, is a brave, brilliant, and befuddled recipient of the soul of that biblical character, and she must carry that albatross not around her neck, but th
Mary
May 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I am rating this book with five stars not because of it's literary value but because this book was packed with action, drama, mystery and intrigue and packaged into a face paced thriller. Don't get me wron, it was very well written, but it is geared more toward the mass market.

The plot lines in this book were excellent and the characters were very well formed. Once you start reading this is a book you won't want to put down. It has excellent descriptions of a number of places across the globe a
Candace Salima
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THE FATE OF MAN LIES IN THE HANDS OF ONE WOMAN

The Key (The Ruin Trilogy, Book 2) by British author, Simon Toyne, is a page turner! I love a good conspiracy thriller, and that precisely describes The Key.

A brilliant writer, I rate Simon Toyne right up there with James Rollins and Steve Berry. He has an astonishing gift for the written word, and is an impeccable storyteller. Although it was 2:00 a.m., I couldn’t put the book down until my eyes felt like they were filled with sand! I finished the l
Beth
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The Key is a solid follow up to Sanctus. The author truly did himself a favor in the last book of setting up a fictional city, group, and prophecy, instead of trapping himself using real-life examples that readers will quickly see through. I was happy that I never felt "talked down to" in this book - the few puzzles weren't ridiculously easy, the dialogue didn't have to spell every little revelation out, and most importantly for a thriller, the characters weren't terminally stupid. Th ...more
Elizabeth A
May 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audio
This is book #2 in the Sancti Trilogy, and while I enjoyed the first one, my reaction to this was meh. I am a fan of religious/conspiracy/apocalyptic thrillers - must be those 12 or so years in Catholic schools surrounded by nuns - but this was neither thrilling nor a page turner. It picks up literally where the first book ends, and will make no sense unless you have read book #1. By the way, the audiobook is wonderfully narrated by Simon Vance, and I credit him with the fact that I stuck it out ...more
Andy
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Its more towards a 3.5 rating as in parts it's a very enjoyable read but i cant quite give it that 4 star quality rating.

Quite an up & down read, in parts very good, in others a bit of a trudge but in all its enough of a series to want me finish the trilogy. I thought the "revelation" at the end of the first book would lead onto a more fantastical story but it doesnt.... which I believe is a bit of a drop by the author as it keeps very grounded & follows more the lines of a thriller. Ive
Jan
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw Sanctus advertised, I was intrigued and this series has not disappointed me in anyway at all. Simon Toyne is fresh, his talent refreshing no repetition like some authors. The Key was a more than adequate follow up, I love this author, I love his style I love the way his stories unfold. I love the excitement and freshness. It is a book I recommend but do read Sanctus first, as it is part of a trilogy, and I cannot wait for the concluding part.
Gruia
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pros: keeps the alert pace of Sanctus and refrains from pointlessly hiding things from the reader anymore (the cheap Dan Brown recipe).

Cons: it may seem trite to the prolific reader, for its abundance of clichés (at one point I thought it was trying to make a Star Wars joke). Felt too rushed toward the end

Pet peeves:
Sikorski is an American manufacturer, not Russian
I'm not sure how you can fit 4 people plus the pilot into a Cobra attack helicopter
Simon Thorpe
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Grabbed me from the first page and had me hooked until I had devoured the last page. Didn't realise straight away that it was the second book in the trilogy but it didn't matter as it more than held its own as a standalone title. Gripping plot, believable characters and an air of darkness that just made this a must read book! Just bought Sanctus and the Tower and feel like a child waiting for the Christmas presents to be opened!
Cath
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly the sequel is better than Sanctus - perhaps as it's the author's second book. His style has definately matured, with the plot flowing more smoothly, descriptions more capturing and charactors more evenly roled. really enjoyed this book - no slow start. A page turner from the start.
My one criticism would be the end is slightly disappointing but would recommend none the less.
Kyla
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
The saga started in "Sanctus" continues in "The Key." The Tau prophecy is fulfilled, but strange things continue to happen. Little did Liv, Gabriel, and most others realize that the prophecy continued in the Mirror Prophecy. Now the race is on to return to Sacrament to the birthplace of the world--the lost gardens of Eden. Looking forward to the third book in the series.
The Mystery, Crim...: *Giveaway* The Key by Simon Toyne 1 14 Jun 22, 2012 07:56AM
HarperCollins Can...: The Key 2 38 Jun 20, 2012 07:19AM
  • The Demon Code (Leo Tillman & Heather Kennedy, #2)
  • The Babylon Rite
  • The Second Messiah
  • The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope, #7)
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • The Sacred Bones
  • Pantheon
  • The Mayan Codex (Antichrist Trilogy #2)
  • The Eden Prophecy (Hawker & Laidlaw, #3)
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Labyrinth of Osiris (Yusuf Khalifa #3)
  • The Abduction (The Carnivia Trilogy, #2)
  • The Spear of Destiny
  • The Map
  • The City of Shadows (Stefan Gillespie, #1)
Simon Toyne was born February 29th, 1968 in Cleethorpes, England, but spent his formative years in Peterborough. He moved further south, to Goldsmiths College, part of the University of London, to study English and Drama then ended up working as a producer, director in commercial television for almost twenty years.

He quit in 2007, just shy of his fortieth birthday, to try and focus more on writing
More about Simon Toyne

Sancti Trilogy (3 books)
  • Sanctus (Sancti Trilogy #1)
  • The Tower (Sancti Trilogy #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Invisible
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Fix (Amos Decker, #3)
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Hush
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Pharaoh Key (Gideon Crew series)
    $14.99 $3.99
  • The Historian
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Secrets in Death (In Death, #45)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Hellfire Club
    $13.99 $4.99
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
  • 15 Seconds
    $6.99 $1.99
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99