Start by marking “The Reckoning (The Taker, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Reckoning (The Taker, #2)

Read Excerpt

The Reckoning

(The Taker Trilogy #2)

A love triangle spanning 200 years…Alma Katsu takes readers on a breathtaking journey through the landscape of the heart.

Lanore McIlvrae is the kind of woman who will do anything for love. Including imprisoning the man who loves her behind a wall of brick and stone.

She had no choice but to entomb Adair, her nemesis, to save Jonathan, the boy she grew up with in a remote M
Published June 19th 2012 by Gallery Books (first published April 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Reckoning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reckoning

Anissa
This is the second installment in The Taker trilogy & honestly, it should have been called "The Waiting" because that's all you're doing in anticipation of the reunion of Lanore/Adair after his 200 year entombment by her hand. If that's your huge draw, then just read the last 75-50 pages and satisfy yourself. It'll give you enough of the gist & give the payoff quickly enough. If you're really only in for the reunion, read the last 25 or so pages (it's heartbreaking). This was a lot of bu ...more
JaHy☝Hold the Fairy Dust
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book should have been titled "THE ANGSTING"

How do you readers do it?

My emotions went from anxious, to impatient, extremely frustrated, slightly hopeful, utterly hopeless, completely pissed, 1000% heartbroken (yes, 1000% ...okay, slight exaggeration ) and now SCARED TO DEATH OF The Descent.

As flawed as it may sound , I adore Adair ....

" The need to see her was undeniable. He had to find her and look at her, touch her skin and stand in her presence one more time, even if it used up the
Theresa
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
full reviews of The Taker and The Reckoning will be posted on my blog soon. Know this, though... This is one of the best series I have read in years. It sucked me in, chewed me up, and spit me out against my will. Once I was in Lanny and Adair's world, I wanted to stay there. If you enjoy suspense, twists, romance, horror, or the supernatural, I suggest you RUN to buy this series.
Poppy Fields
Riveting, disturbing, intriguing, uniquely bizarre. The Reckoning picks up a year after The Taken. All the same characters are back and the plot can't be explained without big spoiler alerts so I won't even try.

I find myself torn while I read Alma Katsu's work because no one in their right mind should root for any of these characters because they are so ridiculously selfish and twisted and yet I do! Adair is the most despicable of men and yet his one hint of vulnerability shows and I am cheerin
Miss
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insane character development mixed in with fantastic world building made reading this series a absolute delight.

Unrequited love
Misery
Envy
Desperation
Deception

And pretty much every other emotion you can think of is weaved into this dark and twisted tale. Immortal beings created by dark magic that can only be released by the one who created them. This is not a pretty tale full of sparkly vampires with a conscious. Not for the feint of heart. This se
Reading Teen
May 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so excited to be writing this review, it's really hard to type, while doing the happy dance. The Taker (Book 1) was by far, my favorite book of 2011. When I received The Reckoning (Book 2), I was very excited. Alma Katsu is an amazing storyteller. What goes on in that brain of hers, let me just say... it's pure awesome. I could always read about Lanny and Adair, their story could go on forever, and it doesn't get old.

When I started this book, I knew Lanny was in deep, deep trouble. I am say
Kamla
I was drawn to The Taker Trilogy when the book cover for The Reckoning caught my eye on the GR Giveaways. The cover was so artistically stunning. Check it out The Reckoning (The Taker, #2) by Alma Katsu. The stricking beauty in color contrast and composition paired with the book’s title more than grabbed my attention. I am , however,not one who judges a book by its cover, so I looked up The Reckoning and book 1, The Taker, here on GR. Read the blurbs, summaries and some reviews. I decided that it sounded like something I could definitel ...more
Karina Halle
Mar 19, 2012 marked it as to-read
Um, what is with the cover...has it suddenly gone all YA on us?
Dark Faerie Tales
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Deeply unsettling and gripping sequel to The Taker. Part historical, part modern day thriller that explores deeper character development and emotions.

Opening Sentence: We were nearly at the Victoria and Albert Museum when we saw the crowds spilling out of the entrance and across Cromwell Street, forcing our taxi to stop in the middle of the road.

The Review:

Lanore McIlvrae and Lucas Findley are spending some quality time together in Europe af
Mitchii
***This is a review of books 1 & 2***

Part me was shocked and a small dark part of me was mad. I don’t know exactly what to say about this book. I don’t even know what possessed me to read this book. I haven’t read any reviews of this book so I don’t have any expectations. In fact I have absolutely no idea what I’m about to read. So when I finish the two books I was so flabbergasted that this book is like…that.

This book is sort of an enigma to me. But one thing I’m sure of is that the book’s
Serena
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There are some books that you read quickly through and there are those books are almost too seductive and you want to slow down and savor every moment with the characters, and The Reckoning by Alma Katsu — the second book in The Taker series — is the latter. Once plunged into this world of immortal, devilish, and sometimes wayward beings, readers will not want to leave and by the end of the book, they will be clamoring for more.

The novel picks up just where Lanny and Luke leave off in the previo
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, series
So... not really what I expected...

I am super interested in all of the history of the characters, and I think that Lanny is flawed just enough that she isn't worthless, so overall I like the general idea.

I'm overly surprised at Adiars change of heart, and think the Jonathan thing was weird. There was a lot of stuff brought up that wasn't resolved, but I guess that's what the final book will be for. (I like the last chapter just because I'm excited that its opening the door for more history!)

I
Donna Was A Scandal
oh my goodness...genius. pure genius. the wave of emotions i've felt over the couple of days it took me to read this has been overwhelming...to be completely honest, i'm speechless.

the dark twists, the emotions, the inherent truths Katsu makes you face all wrapped up in this amazing story...oh, and holy zombies batman - zombies and oddly enough i'm not just ok with that - it totally works and feels completely right - how is that possible?

this one has left a mark on my soul

longer review to come
Tonya
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, the second of trilogy. Katsu has a rare talent she made me enjoy fantasy/horror as a genre. she is a brilliant writer and she leaves you breathless with a fast paced harrowing story.
Kelly
Well, I actually enjoyed this one more than the first in the series. Less rapey.
Lisarenee
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Notes: I read the ARC (Advanced Reader Copy)

My Synopsis:

It had been three months since Lanny ended the life of Jonathan, the love of her life, per his request. She and Luke have become close since then, and she'd promised to never leave him. That she'd spend the rest of his life with him. For the first time in Lanny's life she was with someone who took care of her and cherished her. It endeared Luke all the more to her. The relationship had changed her, grounded her and she was content.

She'd alw
Christine Bode
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 4.0

The Reckoning by Alma Katsu picks up where the first book in her supernatural, gothic trilogy, The Taker, ends. Katsu describes The Taker as “a story about desire, obsession and the dark things we sometimes do for love.” It’s also about the curse of immortality and the price paid by its victims.

I didn’t realize that The Taker was part of a trilogy when I read and reviewed it for Simon & Schuster Canada, but now that I’ve read the second book, I can’t wait for the final piece of thi
Cassandra
--Full, non-spoiler review courtesy at Book & Movie Dimension a Blog--

For many The Taker, the first book in The Taker Trilogy, not only introduced but also swept them up into the world of some alarmingly deprived Immortals. The Reckoning has quite the few shocks and unexpected reveals. We had lastly left off in The Taker with Lanore (Lanny) having imprisoned Adair the person who gifted her with Immortility itself. Lanore had also just met Luke , a doctor, who felt a certain connection to her
Nancy
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay. So I was taken aback by "The Taker." It was so beautifully written and articulated but lacked 1) morals and 2) character likeability. To summarize The Taker; Lanore is born in the early 1800s. She loves Jonathon, a beautiful and shallow boy. They grow up in parallel lives but are friends. Jonathon sleeps around. Lanore finds herself pregnant. She is sent to Boston to have the baby in a convent. She runs away and finds herself in the company of Adair and his crew who happen to be not only i ...more
☕️Kimberly
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and reviewed The Taker, Alma Katus’s first novel in this trilogy with a Goodreads group. I found it to be disturbing, compelling and one that left me breathless. I found myself repulsed and drawn to Lanore MciLvrae’s story and had to know more. The group decided to read The Reckoning for August and again I found myself completely drawn to this tale and its fleshed out and complex characters. Katus is a powerful story teller and I encourage you to pick this trilogy up.

The tale picks up sho
Erika Robuck
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Reckoning is the story of immortal Lanore McIlvrae who has imprisoned her evil “maker” Adair in a brick wall, and has spent the last two centuries trying to atone for the sins of her mortal and immortal lives. She is looking to the future with the doctor, Luke Findley, who helped her in the first novel in the trilogy, The Taker. As she views items from her past that she has presented for an exhibit at a London museum, she feels a humming in her head warning her that Adair has escaped his pri ...more
Christa  Seeley
Originally reviewed at Hooked on Books

The more I read this series the more I love Alma Katsu’s writing. She is a mystery/paranormal/historical fiction mastermind. She’s got three genres going on here and doesn’t drop the ball once.

The Reckoning reunited us with Lanny and Luke a few months after The Taker ends. They’ve settled into a life together and Lanny is learning to let go of her past, to really let herself be free. This plan hits a snag however when the building keeping Adair prisoner is d
Lucinda
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A delicately interwoven, stunning tale that is utterly enchanting and which takes one on an acutely dreamlike journey of the heart

The exquisite blend of supernatural fantasy, detailed historical elements and spinechilling horror makes this original work appeal to a wide-readership. Remarkable and astonishing I was swept away by this deeply and profoundly affecting, emotive tale of eternal love. I was captivated by the cleverly crafted narrative told with a distinctive voice that professes the a
Joe
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I was very fortunate to receive an Advance Copy of this book and am SO grateful to Wendy, Thanks again my friend!

THE RECKONING, part 2 in THE TAKER Triology

If only I could live forever, be immortal, eternal life…be careful what you wish for!

As Lanore laments… the body lives forever but what prevents your mind from betraying you?
First Jonathan, then Savva, then even Lanore long for their makers to end their extended life.
From extreme loneliness to overwhelming guilt and for Lanore, living with th
drey
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow. The Reckoning takes off with a bang – Lanore is at a museum exhibit when she once again feels Adair’s presence in her head. Trying to outrun his reach will be futile, so she sends Luke back to his family.

Themes of unrequited love flow through The Reckoning, fast and furious – and in its wake come disappointment, disillusionment, anger, remorse, and – hopefully – redemption. I never thought I’d say this, but I like the Adair we end up with in The Reckoning. I may actually even like this Lano
Percy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This sequel to The Taker was so good.
Although I find Adair disgusting in every sense of the word, he is by far the most interesting character.
Lanny felt like she had given up long ago but only now admitted it to herself.
I was very glad to see very little of Luke, he just felt so dependent on Lanore, like he wasn’t his own character anymore.

Totally random:
This was actually the first book of the series that I bought. Never having heard of either the series or the author before, I had no idea why I
Sonja Arlow
It is very rare that the second book in a trilogy is even better than the first and this was exactly what happened here. I liked the fact that Lanny seemed to have matured more and that Adair was this time round at a bit of a disatvantage. Richly descriptive, dark and obsessively distructive. I cant wait for the last book.
Tania
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A deeply dark and disturbing tale of obsession/unrequited love. After reading quite a few candyfloss YA fantasy books, this feels like drinking some decadent dark chocolate - just what I needed. I also enjoyed the authors comparison of technology to alchemy. I can't wait for book number 4.
Lisarenee
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

She'd always known someday she'd have to once again face her make
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Review also posted at Under The Covers Book Blog

Ms. Katsu provided another well written, suspenseful, deeply emotional and definitely another engaging story. This dark LOVE TRIANGLE will sure stir up emotions and the extraordinary story telling will have you reading non stop.
The book starts with a quote that I believe sets the tone and prepares readers of what’s to come. The question is, who is the Beast and who is Beauty?

"You'll always be dear to me, Beast. I’m truly your friend. But I don't
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Feb 04, 2015 06:53AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: Giving away a copy of THE RECKONING international! 1 29 May 27, 2012 03:47PM

• Dark Storm
  • Changeling (Dreyfuss Trilogy, #1)
  • Blooded (Jessica McClain, #0.5)
  • Starlight (The Christies, #2)
  • The Weeping
  • Andraste
  • Pretty When She Destroys (Pretty When She Dies, #3)
  • No Such Thing as Immortality
  • Lessons After Dark (Englefield, #2)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • The Dark Knight (Montagues, #4)
  • Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper
  • God's Eye
  • Colorado Dawn (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • Original Sins (The Lost Slayer, #4)
  • Tangled (Torn Trilogy, #2)
  • Inhale (Just Breathe, #1)
  • Blood Jewel (Vampire Agápe, #2)
"Hard to put down. Not recommended reading after dark." -- Stephen King

"Makes the supernatural seem possible" -- Publishers Weekly

NPR 100 Favorite Horror Stories

Author of THE HUNGER, a reimagining of the Donner Party's tragic journey (Putnam);
THE TAKER, THE RECKONING and THE DESCENT (Gallery Books). The Taker was selected by ALA/Booklist as one of the top ten debut novels of 2011.

The Taker Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Taker (The Taker, #1)
  • The Descent (The Taker, #3)
“He'd observed over the centuries that what made people old was when they could no longer keep up with change. It's the beginning of the end, though few recognize it as such at the time.” 6 likes
“Perhaps one day you will understand that, flawed as I am, no man will love you as I do, and you will search your heart and find that you love me, too.” 6 likes