Start by marking “Medieval Cats” as Want to Read:
Medieval Cats

Medieval Cats

Images of cats appear extensively in medieval manuscripts. They are depicted as pets, as mousers, in Bestiaries, in marginalia, and in other surprising images—for example, depictions of cats in religious iconography. This charming gift book presents a wealth of cat imagery from a wide variety of medieval sources and will have a wide appeal for cat lovers everywhere. The te ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by British Library Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Medieval Cats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medieval Cats

l.
Apr 11, 2014 l. rated it really liked it
this person has a phd in medieval petkeeping!
I repeat: this person has a phd in medieval petkeeping!
an inspiration to us all.
Rebecca
Nov 10, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A surprisingly informative book with great illustrations!
Derek Rivard
Jan 03, 2013 Derek Rivard rated it really liked it
A great collection of illuminations, anecdotes, literary images of the cat, superstitions about the beloved (and tragically mistrusted) animal, which could be treated like family, or subjected to unimaginable cruelty by village mobs. This helped me make it through the recent death of my own beloved cat Samuel, as well as being a tremendous source good classroom anecdotes.
Frederic
May 09, 2014 Frederic rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I'm not a cat person, but I do like medieval illuminations. And honestly I did like the author's Medieval Dogs better. Like that one, this is really intended as a gift-book but has nice, intellectually interesting text mainly concerning medieval conceptions of, in this case, cats. The illustrations are beautiful, and several feature mice along with the cats (some caught, but none gory). I think my favorite tidbit in this one was, "The twelfth-century nun Hildegard of Bingen, in her Liber simplic ...more
Heather Jones
May 25, 2014 Heather Jones rated it liked it
The back cover notes that the author "completed her PhD … on late-medieval pet keeping." This is a small glossy collection of images of cats in medieval manuscripts and art, with brief accompanying text providing context both for the specific images and the place of cats in medieval society. Many artistic cats doing cat-like things such as playing with the dangling spindle of a woman trying to spin, licking its butt with its legs splayed in all directions, reaching through the bars of a bird-cag ...more
Meg
Mar 01, 2013 Meg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Came for the beautiful image reproductions, stayed for the great snippets from period works. Favorite thing I learned is that according to some early medieval Irish law text that I need to find, cats that could purr and hunt mice were worth 3 cows. Cats who could only purr were worth 1.5 cows. That's a mighty high value placed on the mere deterrence power of a cat. I'm looking forward to eventually reading the author's thesis on medieval pet-keeping.

"Cuirm lemm, lemlacht la cat."
Steve
Mar 12, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it
A fun little book of medieval MSS cat illustrations, primarily from marginalia, and medieval feline facts and fables. Although I wish there was more commentary (specifically on the iconographic meanings of some of the pictures), it's worth it for any cat lover interested in the Middle Ages.
R. G. Nairam
Nov 03, 2015 R. G. Nairam rated it liked it
Shelves: medieval-history, own
Most of the joy is in just owning a book called Medieval Cats and the number of medieval (mostly later) illustrations there are.

Not very dense, but a lot of fun. And it's always nice to read something about the Middle Ages with a narrow or unusual focus.
Eleanor With Cats
Oct 14, 2012 Eleanor With Cats rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cats, i-heart-these
A small coffee table book with some really neat information and tons of marginalia cats. Most coffee table books don't really have much new information in them for someone who reads a lot, but this is better quality.
Gabriel Zorrilla
Mar 22, 2016 Gabriel Zorrilla rated it liked it
It's a nice little booklet, perfect to give as gift to cat lovers. A little pricey for the content, tho.
Sharla
Feb 16, 2014 Sharla rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book! The text discusses cats and their roles in medieval society, and every page has a photograph of a beautiful illuminated text featuring cats. Very delightful!
Maria D'Isidoro
Jan 19, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, cat
Cute!
Elizabeth Morgan
Hee! If you like cats and tidbits and illuminated manuscripts, this is a fun coffee table book for you.
Caralen
Caralen rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Fay
Fay rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Schuhuen Yi-chin
Schuhuen Yi-chin rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2014
Johanna Feenstra
Johanna Feenstra rated it really liked it
May 09, 2017
Clarissa
Clarissa rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2014
Ben Breen
Ben Breen rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2017
Alebriand
Alebriand rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2017
Norman
Norman rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Colee B
Colee B rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2012
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013