Start by marking “Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)” as Want to Read:
Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)

Dollhouse: Epitaphs

(Dollhouse: Epitaphs #1-5)

The Rossum Corporation's Dollhouse technology has gone viral with a synchronized phone call that wiped the minds of everyone it reached, turning them into mindless killers. Those who avoided the call—including show favorites Echo, Alpha, Mag, Zone, and Griff—must try to survive in the sudden apocalypse and be wary of Rossum's expansive technological reach. This is only the ...more
Paperback, First Edition, 160 pages
Published April 11th 2012 by Dark Horse

To ask other readers questions about Dollhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dollhouse

Start your review of Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
Robert
Sep 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: naffic-grovel, sf
This series is very similar indeed to the Serenity comics, in that they attempt to fill in gaps left by the premature curtailment of the stories told during both series' TV runs. I re-watched Season 2 of Dollhouse in preparation for reading this and that re-familiarisation was probably necessary as I'd forgotten a lot of details from Epitaph 2 (the final episode) that this fairly short comic run attempted to explain. (My memory was hung up on the Magic Bomb plot device that still annoys me - eve ...more
Jammin Jenny
I really enjoyed this graphic novel based on the Dollhouse series created by Joss Whedon and starring Eliza Dushku. In this story, Rossum develops tech that wipes the minds of everyone that picks up a phone, and then develops future tech in their attempt to find and kill Echo (Eliza Dushku's character from Dollhouse). Meanwhile, Alpha and Ivy (also from the original Dollhouse series), lead a team to help save Echo and develop tech to reverse Rossum's problems. I enjoyed revisiting this world and ...more
TJ
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read this years ago, but having just rewatched all of Dollhouse I thought now was a good time for a reread. And really — I forgot how good this was! I remember not being as intrigued by this cast of characters since they were minor characters from the series, but this time around I was so intrigued! While I do wish we’d seen Alpha’s journey to being a hero, getting this insight into how his mind works post-apocalypse is so interesting; his guilt and struggles with his original self could have ...more
Bry
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
When this show was on television I watched every episode - not because I loved it but because like Fox I was a bit gun shy to give up after only 1 season. Firefly taught us all a lesson. Sadly though season 2 didn't make it much better for me. And now this story picks up where the series ended, and correlates with the future episodes the show did.

First - the art because that is the most important part of graphic novels to me. I love the coloring in this. The colors during a majority of the stor
Kate
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge Dollhouse fan. I was devastated when it was taken off the air and was left with so many question – the biggest and most mysterious of these was: What happened in between the end of season 2 and the Epitaphs?

This graphic novel starts to answer that question. Previously published as a set of five issues, now bound in one handle volume, it’s a must have for any Dollhouse fan. The storyline is true to the TV series and the illustrations are brilliant.

Alpha is my favourite character and th
Nikki
I haven't actually seen Dollhouse, but I heard good things about it and I generally trust Joss Whedon's imagination, ever since I saw Firefly. So, when I saw this on Netgalley, I requested it and read it as soon as I was given access to it. The art is great throughout: the artist/s captured the actors very well, and it all comes together nicely. I think I liked the scenes of Alpha's fragmenting hold on his personalities most -- I wouldn't have believed, knowing Firefly so well, that you could ma ...more
Artemy
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who enjoyed the TV show
Shelves: comics, dark-horse
I just finished watching Dollhouse the TV show, and I grabbed the comic book immediately after that. Now, I do think that the show managed to tie a lot of lose ends remarkably well, considering the limited time they had left after the news of cancellation. But it is still nice to have this comic to clear up some of the questions left unanswered. Basically, if you liked Dollhouse — and I did, a lot — you will most likely enjoy this book. It's not required reading, not many important things are re ...more
The Lost Dreamer
I loved the TV series and I always thought that it could keep going as a comic. Anyway, this story is far from que quality levels of most of the TV episodes. The best point of the post-apocalypse distopia after the "doll" technology goes out of control is that in the TV series we only get a glympse of how fucked up the world ends up being. Two episodes of that was more than enough to provide a perfect feeling of what the whole series was about. This story happens shortly after the first outbreak ...more
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-dystopia
Why read: Received for review

What impressed me: Epitaphs starts off after the Dollhouse TV series ended, managing to both continue the story as well as remind fans of what went down those last few episodes without rehashing ad nauseum. Fan favorites are easily recognizable, visually as well as through action and dialogue. Dollhouse was a constant build up towards its way too early conclusion and this first volume of Epitaphs gives more of the same - building up to something even bigger.

What disa
Stephen Melvin
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A couple of weeks ago, I was having a conversation with fellow Whedon scholar--name drop alert--Michael Starr about the Whedonverse comics. We both shared the same basic sentiment: Fray was excellent but what we've read of the continuations of Buffy and Angel were just so-so. In typical Starr fashion, he launched into an analysis of the difference in mediums, how television with its limited budgets could hamstring some of the more fantastic elements. Comic books do not share those limitations. T ...more
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore Dollhouse Fans
{This review was originally published on Clear Eyes, Full Shelves.}

I adored the television series Dollhouse and was thrilled to learn that it's continuing in graphic novel form--unfortunately, this installment disappointed.

If you're not familiar with Dollhouse, the television show developed a cult following in 2009-2010 with it's captivating stories of an evil corporation that ran an underground network of "dollhouses" that allowed wealthy clients to rent people whose personalities had been wi
Beth Dawkins
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Dollhouse was a T.V. show that ran for two seasons. It was actually set to be canceled after season one, but the fans raised hell, and season two came around. When the show originally aired I admit I didn’t watch it. Mostly because during that time my T.V. watching was limited to whatever my parents had on when I visited. Later I started watching the first season on Netflix, and then basically sacrificed a couple days for both seasons, yea, it was that good.

The comic starts after Echo takes dow
David Caldwell
This graphic novel collects the Dollhouse 1-shot and issues 1-5 of the Dollhouse series.

The story is set after Echo has made it out of the Dollhouse. The technology used to create dolls has been fully weaponized. A signal can be sent over phones to make a person either blank slate doll or a murderous killing machine. Most of the people who become blank slates are killed very quickly by the butchers. Ivy manages to download herself to help some of the lucky few who didn't answer their phones. Alp
Ithlilian
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hate to slap this rating out there with everyone else's but...I could barely force myself to finish this. I enjoyed the show, Joss Whedon is great, but this lacked substance. I felt disconnected from the characters, like it was an idea: brainwash people via a phone call, and then it was just let's force "dialogue" to explain that idea. They tried to explore the looks versus personality thing, the killing beings that used to be people is bad thing, and the Alpha multiple personalities thing but ...more
Zoe's Human
I'm disappointed. I'm not honestly sure if I would rate this as high as I am if I didn't have such tremendous love for Dollhouse. The art isn't bad, but it doesn't excite me. It's good but not beautiful. Everything interesting in the story stems from the existing Dollhouse universe. Nothing intriguing is added.

It doesn't even truly cover much of what happens in the gap between the main series and the Epitaph episodes. It skims over some stuff and simply doesn't address others.

Altogether, I woul
Christine
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, galley
Yes, please. I miss this show and the 5 year gap between the actual show of the LA Dollhouse and the last episode where the 'Apocalypse' has already happened definitely needs to be filled in. (At least, I think it's a 5 year gap. It might be more or less, can't quite remember.) Also, seeing Alan Tudyk's character Alpha argue with himself was both terrifying and fascinating. That needs to happen more.

Looking forward to the next volume!
Jim
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really liked the television series, especially the first year, but I really didn't like this effort, neither the art or the story. Disappointed.
Shawn
Feb 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
Absolutely disappointing. Very boring.
Christopher
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
great start to the epitaph series, though the book could use some explanation for Rossum's motivation.
John
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great look at the start of the apocalypse. A must read for anyone who enjoyed the show.
Brendan Diamond
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Filling in a small piece of the puzzle that bridges the end of Dollhouse proper and the two "Epitaph" episodes, this graphic novella captures the tone and tenor of what I've long argued is Joss Whedon's most thought-provoking work without sacrificing the show's integrity to the far more malleable medium of the comic book. Epitaphs would have made an excellent two-part episode, and it's a worthy heir to a phenomenal series.
Sharlene
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2018, ebook, comics
I stumbled upon this while browsing the library's comic catalogue. It's been some years since I've seen the TV series and it was fun re-entering the world of Alpha and Ivy and Echo. Apparently this comic is takes place after the series and before the "Epitaphs" episode. The Active tech is going viral.
Great illustrations. I loved how the characters look just like the actors! Good storyline too. Makes me want a rewatch
Hung
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars rounded up.

These Dollhouse comics are not as good as the Firefly comics.

In this mini series, we follow (the now good guy) Alpha and his mini army trying to link up with Echo and other survivors to fight back against Rossum.

It has been a long time since I saw the TV series. I can't even recall why Rossum brought about this apocalypse. Regardless, it was good to hang out with Alpha, Mag, Paul Ballard and Echo.
Josh
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Decent follow-up to the cancelled-too-soon TV series. Epitaphs works as a standalone comic also, but it resembles a generic zombie book from that perspective. Covers are accurate to the actors from the series and the interior art is fine, if nothing to write home about. Worth a read for fans of the often overlooked show.
Derelict Space Sheep
42 WORD REVIEW:

In style, script and content, ‘Epitaphs’ is a perfectly adequate post-apocalyptic adventure, yet like its television namesake ‘Epitaph One’ (the unaired offspring of Dollhouse season one), it deals largely in new characters and bears almost no tonal resemblance to the parent programme.
Magali
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Of the tv-show Dollhouse, my favorite part is the two Epitaph episodes. I love how we skip years and years and just have to adapt to it and try to understand who are all those characters again. But being able to see what happened during those lost years is still a real joy, particularly when it focuses on Alpha.
Lisa
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know The Dollhouse gets alot of flack but I loved it but I loved Firefly and Buffy and I liked that this showed a bit of backstory between events and would love to see more. It reminds of the Jericho comics that take off where the show left off.
Shipofools999
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Did a nice job filling in some gaps between the main body of the show and the Epitaph episodes. Want more.

Still want to know why Rossum Corp wanted people to be brain dead killers. I thought the release of the tech was an accident but this detailed out how it was on purpose.
Taygus
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
But great, doesn't fill any important details in. Peetty dissapointing.
Alisa
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-series
Reminds me so much of the spirit of the series - fast-paced, great dialogue, high stakes, and high-minded sci fi goodness.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Season 9, Volume 1)
  • Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • Angel & Faith: Daddy Issues (Season 9, Volume 2)
  • Spike: Into The Light
  • Angel & Faith: Death and Consequences (Season 9, Volume 4)
  • Harleen
  • Angel & Faith: What You Want, Not What You Need (Season 9, Volume 5)
  • Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)
  • Leaves on the Wind (Serenity, #4)
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Old Demons (Season 10, Volume 4)
  • Willow: Wonderland
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: In Pieces on the Ground (Season 10, Volume 5)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Cyanide and Happiness
  • Angel & Faith: Family Reunion (Season 9, Volume 3)
  • Spike: A Dark Place
Andrew Chambliss is an American television writer and producer. He is well known for working on series such as Dollhouse, The Vampire Diaries, and Once Upon a Time.

Dollhouse: Epitaphs (6 books)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #1)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #2)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #3)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #4)
  • Dollhouse (Dollhouse: Epitaphs, #5)