Start by marking “The Noctuary” as Want to Read:
The Noctuary

Read Book

The Noctuary

Simon Ryan is Hell’s new scribe…the safety of our souls will depend on his every word.

Struggling writer Simon Ryan’s life has gone to Hell.

Shadows are pouring into his reality and his words are not his own anymore. He has been chosen to become a scribe for some of the worst creatures of the Underworld–the ones whose sole purpose is to torment human souls–The Dark Muses.

As
Published December 1st 2011 by Damnation Books (first published November 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Noctuary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Noctuary

Start your review of The Noctuary
Cameron Trost
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
The Noctuary is a haunting and hard-hitting tale of horror in the demonic tradition of Clive Barker. It carries the reader on a roller-coaster ride that weaves through the fabric separating reality from the hellish imaginary. Like Simon Ryan, Greg Chapman is striving to blossom as a writer - and this novella shows us that he is succeeding in his endeavour. However, unlike Simon, Greg does this without the help of Meknok... or does he?
Frank Errington
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Aussie horror writer, Greg Chapman, is someone worth paying attention to. The name may not be familiar to you right now, but it soon will be. Both a talented artist, currently working on illustrations for a graphic novel on the history of witchcraft persecutions from horror legends Rocky Wood and Lisa Morton and now an up and coming novelist in his own right. I first read Chapman in 2011 when his Novella, "Torment" was published in March. "Torment" was a terrific ghost story set in Scotland. Sti ...more
Nick Cato
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chapman's latest novella is a sort-of homage to Clive Barker, but unlike other "homages" this one has its own voice and style.

Struggling writer Simon Ryan falls into the hands of creatures who are the incarnations of dark muse: they offer him a chance to re-write his abusive life story, but things don't turn out the way Simon had intended.

And just when Simon thinks he'll forever be a scribe for the underworld, a former captive of these creatures helps him escape...although his new-found reality
Benjamin Ethridge
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, gory, intense, with imagery you can take to bed with you at night, Chapman has created a novella that is insistently relentless and grim. Highly recommended!
Heavensent1
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horror
Recommended to Heavensent1 by: eBook for review
The Noctuary is a Horror Novella.

Simon is an author with writer's block; he is unable to put onto paper what he imagines in his mind. On the night that Meknok arrives, everything Simon once knew, no longer holds true.

After his first encounter, Simon begins to see things in a different view, prostitutes become oozing, festering demons and the streets seem to be made of flesh. Feeling he is losing his mind, he stops in Marci's diner for a bite to eat and to gather his thoughts.

Henry Schiller knows
David Watson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I recently read The Noctuary by Greg Chapman which I think is my favorite of Greg's works. Simon Ryan is a lost soul and a troubled writer. Things are about to change for Simon because he has unknowingly conjured Meknok, an 8 foot tall dark muse from hell that has plans on using Simon to inspire mankind to a new age of darkness. Now everything that Simon writes comes true and he's not sure what is real or not.

As a test to see how good of a writer he really is, he goes to hell and meets the other
Lucy Dosch
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Noctuary is a short story in the genre of Horror. Simon Ryan is a writer who has had a traumatic childhood. His dark writings have attacked the attention of one of the Dark Muses from Hell. To prove to Simon his potential writing powers, Meknok gives Simon an opportunity to re-write his childhood in exchange for becoming a scribe for Meknok. Simon learns that trying to re-write your past and control your life is a lot harder then the stroke of a pen.

As a long time fan of Stephen King, I hav
Misty Rayburn
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been a fan of the horror genre for a long time. Maybe I should say practically since I was in diapers. When you’re a fan that long, it’s hard to be impressed. It takes a serious master of the genre to pull out all the stops and paint something really wicked. That something wicked won’t make us fearful, nuh uh not us hardcore fans. It’ll make us grin wickedly with delight and that’s exactly what I did as I read The Noctuary.

I felt a pull towards this story. When I saw the cover and read the
Gary Olson
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In The Noctuary, a dark fiction writer is given a tempting offer–the ability to make his words become reality, if he becomes a scribe for underworld creatures known as the Dark Muses. He can write things out of existence, and rewrite the tragic elements of his past… but at a price. This novella is the kind of horror that appeals to me most–the slippery, chaotic kind where the fear comes from seeing how thin and easily torn reality could be, and being forced to face what is left–if anything–when ...more
Jake
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This story has gotten more mileage than I'd originally thought. I find when I have idle time, I sometimes think about some of the parts of this novel that were particularly well done. I bumped it up a star because if a story can keep me thinking about it for nearly a year after I put it down, clearly I liked it more than the common read.

Below this line are my original impressions of The Noctuary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ennis Drake
Aug 20, 2012
Mike
Sep 17, 2013
Q & A with Horror...: Competition - Win a Remarqued edition of The Noctuary! 2 3 Feb 09, 2013 04:47AM
Q & A with Horror...: The Noctuary 3 1 Jan 12, 2013 05:46PM
Two-time international Bram Stoker Award-nominee®*, Greg Chapman is a horror author and artist based in Queensland, Australia.

Greg is the author of several novels, novellas and short stories, including his award-nominated debut novel, Hollow House (Omnium Gatherum) and collections, Vaudeville and Other Nightmares (Specul8 Publishing) and This Sublime Darkness and Other Dark Stories (Things in the