Start by marking “The Truth About Us” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  499 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
them feels compelled to confess the secret. 'The Truth About Us' weaves the
past and the present in a page-turner that explores the shifting quality of
truth, and the cost of secrets.
Published December 5th 2011 by Dalene Flannigan (first published November 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Truth About Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth About Us

Dianne
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
They were roommates in college and one event would forever cement them in a secret that could last a lifetime. One was strong-willed and outspoken, one was loose, wild, and in search of something missing in her life. The third would do all she could to blend into the background, but she would be the one with the greatest secret, the secret that would define her very essence.

When Jude finds religion, she is compelled to share the secret from so long ago. But is it her secret to tell? Will this se
Literary  Chanteuse
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hens-lit
A very powerful and emotionally charged story. I was moved by the honesty of these characters and lead by the story from page to page completely right from the beginning. The writing drew me right in. Another awesome book from a Canadian writer.
Donna McBroom-Theriot
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What is it about the truth, or for that matter, the secrets, that seem to haunt us until we give in to the need to purge? Why is it we think we can cleanse ourselves if we reveal our secrets of the past, no matter the consequences to anyone else? Who gives us the right to make this decision?

“Three women, roommates back in college, find their lives forever altered when one of them feels compelled to confess the secret sin of their past.”

The author wrote a fast-paced book intertwining the past
Catherine Estrada
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
I was pleasantly delighted to enjoy The Truth About Us as much as I did. The synopsis is pretty minimal, but definitely intriguing, and the book absolutely went above and beyond my expectations based on the blurb.

Grace, Jude, and Erica were friends in college, but have since moved on with their lives in very different ways. Except that they all carry a potentially devastating secret from their time as roommates. Erica has formed a life and a family, that is currently on a very rocky road. Grace
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
My Kindle has thousands of books. Upon trying to rearrange some of them I came along this one that I had not finished or reviewed. Upon finally completing it, I know why I stopped - a good story but quite slow moving - about friends with a secret - and we know when you hold in secrets they eventually come to light....but I found there was something lacking in the story....cant put my finger on it....anyone else feel the same (if you have read this book)
Jadaloves
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was absolutely captivated by this book and found myself completely lost in the story. The Truth About Us is the story of three college friends, Grace, Erica, and Jude, who are forever bound to each other because of a tragic secret they share. But when Jude finds Jesus, she threatens to unravel all of their lives when she is compelled to confess her sins and tell the truth about what happened all those years ago. Revealing the secret could mean serious consequences for them all, which prompts E ...more
Kim
Great subject idea - three estranged college friends hold a deep dark secret. One finds it necessary to spill the beans based on some religious ideas she has learned in her recent past. This forces the three back together after 15 years, all of them having made very different lives for themselves and now have very little in common.
I liked the characters well enough - though Jude, I think, was supposed to arouse more anger and disgust in the reader and that she certainly did. I felt a little unc
Books-treasureortrash
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, drama
Book Review: 3 Treasure Boxes

A horrendous, life changing event impacts three young college students. To protect themselves, they swear to keep it a secret. After graduation, they drift apart, each finding ways to escape their past. Twenty years later, one of the friends decides the truth must come out, but at what cost? This story examines each of their lives, how they have reconciled with the past and how revealing the truth will affect them.

The Truth About Us is Dalene Flannigan’s second novel
Naberius
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
This isn't a very long book -- it's 204 pages. However, there's a lot in this story. There's the relationship between the three women -- their past relationship as roommates, and their present lives that are now intersecting. There's the issue of Erica and her husband and what's going to happen to their marriage. It's about keeping secrets, and how that can change people. There were parts that weren't easy to read ..... there are a few pretty ugly things in this book, but I felt they weren't blo ...more
Jessica
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Truth About Us is a great read. About three friends who share a secret one they carry for many years and how that secret affects their lives.

Dalene writes with such great flow I am shocked that her book is only self published and some smart publisher hasn't snagged her book up. Her characters are well written and the story coming to a head when one no longer wants to keep but instead share their secret.

I enjoyed the book and recommend checking it out. A job well done by an author who's fut
CJC
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, the characters were well done and it was a moving story. I had some laugh out loud moments at the absurdity of Jude's new found path but at the same time your heart is breaking for her. Erica and Grace felt very real so it was easy to relate to them.

Just an all around good book.
Mich
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like it. Couldn't get hooked.
Barbara
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Couldn't deal with the preacher kissing her foot during a "foot washing" service. Quit reading. No stars.
Donna
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As I read this, it seemed slow moving. The ending seemed to wrap up in only a few pages. But, as I think over the entire book, I can appreciate the story line and author's style of presenting the 3 characters and their perspectives. It leaves one wondering if the truth always does set one free....
Dionne Curren
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book 5 stars, not because it's a life-changing book, but because I just couldn't put it down. Loved the riveting plot and great characters. It would be a great "beach read."
Michelle
Wow. I didn't expect any of this from this book. This meaning the depth of emotion, the way this book touched me, even when I didn't want it to or didn't expect it to. What was I expecting? A quick lighthearted story to pass some time between a few things I've been wanting to read. Surprise, surprise, this freebie had some depth!

Perhaps it was the age of the three women, but I really felt connected to them on a personal level. It was as if I could see a little bit of myself in each of them. Alth
Olga
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I'll say this right now: I loved this book. From start to finish it kept me invested in the story and the characters' lives and when I knew it was nearing its conclusion I didn't want it to end. I even told a reader friend how good it was before finishing it, which I hardly ever do because as we all know there are no guarantees against things deteriorating and leaving you disappointed. Fortunately my praises were not dampened but rather reinforced by the last few chapters. I think I'm getting ah ...more
Lauren K
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie
I read the synopsis for The Truth About Us when the author approached me for a review and at first glance I thought it would be a contemporary women’s novel- light and easy to read. I was actually going to decline, but decided to have a quick look over other reviews and was instantly intrigued by the number of readers who were surprised by the depth of this story and how it didn’t turn out to be what they had expected. I’m glad I took the chance on this indie book! The Truth About Us, isn’t your ...more
Lydia Laceby
Originally reviewed at Novel Escapes

Should every secret be told? Does the truth always come out? Does it set you free? What if its not your secret to tell? Can we ever really know everything about someone else? The Truth About Us is a fast paced and thought provoking read that raises many questions. It tackles a heavier and controversial subject matter and I was immediately intrigued by the mystery surrounding the three women and their pasts and how it impacts their futures.

Flannigan’s strength
Rubysbooks
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog

I don't know what I was expecting when I started reading this book. I know I love a book when I want to reread it. And right now, I know this will be one of those re-readable books.

The book isn't just about growing up and about friendship. It's about choices and how those choices influence one's life forever, about the different sides of the truth and about how truth is depends on the personal view.

Three friends, three roommates, Grace, Jude and Erica, struggle w
Emma
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-uni
Erica’s life seems to be falling apart when she catches her husband having an affair. But just as things are becoming difficult for her, she gets a call from her old friend Jude who drags the past back into Erica’s life. And all of a sudden Erica’s problems are much more dire than her marriage falling apart. Jude, a former party girl, has recently become a devout Christian and is trying to repent for all her sins. Unfortunately, she wishes to confess to her involvement in something that Erica ha ...more
Vasiliki Charalampopoulou
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally Posted: here

I won this book in a giveaway which was great not just because, well, i won it in a giveaway, but also becasue if i hadn't i would probably never have read it. The main reason being that i mostly enjoy reading young adult and usually i find it hard to relate to characters that are older than me by sigificant amount of years. So i was a bit out of my waters here and i did't know what to expect, one thing's for sure, i did not expect to enjoy it this much.

The book was really
Jenn
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Truth About Us is an astounding novel by Dalene Flannigan. It involves the intertwined lives of three women:

Grace - at 5'10" she has always been a tall woman. She has always felt that her thighs are too large. Her documentaries lead others to believe she's a lesbian or a Feminazi. In college she was quiet and introverted, rarely dating. So when Jason asks her to his place for dinner, she's thrilled. She drinks too much and can't remember anything about that night, yet hopes she didn't make a
Best Crime Books & More
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grace, Jude and Erica were all high school friends and when we initially meet them they are all grown up and all have their own lives. The three women are extremely different and it doesn't take long to understand that something that happened many years ago has been a long and guarded secret between them all. As soon as I started reading this book I was drawn into the characters and found it compelling reading. Each woman seems to be going through their own issues and as the story progressed I f ...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This story really focused on the 3 women, and how you felt about them really impacted how you felt about their stories.

Jude was not likable or sympathetic at all. She was obsessive, destructive and so overly zealous with her new religion that there was no room left for compassion. Her actions were extremely selfish, and I just plain didn't like her at all.

Erica was pitiful. Her life was a disaster, and not all of it was her fault. She really didn't knkow how to cope or deal with everything, whic
Patty
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
By
Dalene  Flannagan

Brief summary...

Three women...Grace, Erica and Jude...the unfolding mystery of an event that happened in college years ago.  Chapters alternate among all three and their past and present stories.

My thoughts...

Addictive from the start...I love books that get more intense with each page.  Each woman was uniquely different,  each woman had major issues and each woman knew what happened and was invested big time  in this drama.

Erica is a mom...trying to deal with
Damaskcat
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Grace, Jude and Erica - three women who share a secret; when Jude threatens to reveal that secret all three lives are affected. Grace narrates her own story and her chapters are alternated with those written from the point of view of the other two women. The book could have been very muddled and difficult to follow when you consider there are also flashbacks to fifteen years before, but I didn't find it muddled at all and had no difficulty following the story.

Whether you like the three main char
Elaine
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story with the author cleverly showing what can happen when legalistic Christianity sneaks in. Though this is not a Christian book, many bible verses are used in a way similar to some teachings. This in turn makes for a pastor who is a twisted church leader, and really, not what Christianity is suppose to be about.

Grace, Erica, and Jude, once roommates and friends take turns narrating individual chapters with each telling their own story. In college, Jude was the party girl. Gra
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2012
This book covers a couple heavy topics including whether we should be chained to our former actions if we've made a change in our life, does friendship outweigh truth, and what happens when the truth isn't wanted. Grace, Erica, and Jude became friends in college. They all seem to come from very different backgrounds and for the most part after college, they all go their separate ways. A secret unites them and when one of the former friends threatens to reveal the secret in order to repent and ge ...more
Book Him Danno
his book surprised me, I guess I didn’t know what to expect and WOW…BANG…the author nailed a topic that is near and dear to everyone’s heart…..Secrets we keep. What secrets do you keep from those you love and those who tell you everything? Well this one is big and it has the power to destroy lives and those you love…would you tell someone then? What will it cost you if you do? You may never know until you tell that secret.

This is fasted paced and well written, I kept turning the pages until the
  • Sarah of the Moon
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Drinking with Dead Women Writers
  • The Secret Letters: of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Seeing Julia
  • Tempered by Fire (Angel Bound #1)
  • Killing Down the Roman Line
  • A Place of Forgetting
  • The Tea-Olive Bird-Watching Society
  • Disguised Blessing
  • Snow Fence Road
Dalene Flannigan,a Canadian writer, was born in Glasgow, Scotland.

"For many years I thought my parents were teasing me when they said, "you were born in the rottenrow". But, turns out, I was born in the Rottenrow.
Rottenrow is a street in Glasgow, Scotland, and the address of the Glasgow Royal Maternity Hospital (nicknamed by locals as "The Rottenrow").
It explains so much."

Her full length plays i
More about Dalene Flannigan...
“My spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” 0 likes