Start by marking “Blue Notes (Blue Notes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Notes (Blue Notes, #1)

Blue Notes

(Blue Notes #1)

Blame it on jet lag. Jason Greene thought he had everything: a dream job as a partner in a large Philadelphia law firm, a beautiful fiancee, and more money than he could ever hope to spend. Then he finds his future wife in bed with another man, and he's forced to rethink his life and his choices. On a moment's notice, he runs away to Paris, hoping to make peace with his li ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 230 pages
Published December 30th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Blue Notes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Notes

Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5--Sweet--Stars!!

I was all set to give this one a full 4 stars, but then I had to deduct for the "conflict" at the end. The dreaded MISCOMMUNICATION!

That aside, I really enjoyed this one.

Jaz is a lawyer. He caught his soon to be wife cheating on him and heads to Paris for some much needed time away. To clear his head, take a break from work, etc.

His first night there, Jaz meets Jules playing at a bar. A missed bus, and Jules finds himself spending the night with Jaz.

Jaz has always been cur
Ami
3.65 stars rounded up

I don't think I can add other things that haven't been mentioned before by my other reviewer friends. Yes, the repetitive terms older man/younger man, American/Frenchman is off-putting. In fact, I actually counted around 35 mentions of older man, 60+ mentions of younger man/young man (not to mention the term 'kid' that Jason sometimes also use to describe Jules). I know Jason is older and Jules is younger, can we get on with it?

Oh, and I'm also pretty annoyed with Jason's u
Lauraadriana
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars
This was a sweet story. A man travelling to Paris to do some thinking about his life, only to find possibilities he never knew he had for himself.
Jason is an attorney in Philadelphia and after finding his fiancee in bed with another man. He decides he needs time off. He goes to Paris. He has a history with that city and it might be the best place to do some thinking about his future. The night he arrives he walks into a jazz club and is totally taken by the young man playing the violi
Xia Xia Lake
I started this on July 14 and dropped it temporarily because of the instalove.
I'm not in the mood to get back to it.
DNF 45%
T.A. Webb
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After walking in on his fiance and a strange man in his bed, Jason Greene needs a break. A long break, far away from his Philadelphia home. So he arranges a two month sabbatical from the law firm he is with, and makes plans to stay at his sister's apartment in Paris.

Yes, two months in Paris, the city of lights and love could be just what he needs.

On his first night there, he stumbles on a small jazz club, and decides to stay for the show. The relaxation is just what he needs, and jazz soothes hi
Simsala
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Blue Notes - at first sight a GFY is more like the journey of a man discovering what he wants from life and love by falling for a much younger man on a visit to Paris.
Tourist attractions,delicious food,jazz and classical music galore,lots of terms in French language - this book really got the French-vibe...
Jonas and Jules were an adorable couple that fell in love quickly but they both needed their time to get comfortable in their relationship,especially the older Jonas who fled to Paris after a
SheReadsALot
3.5 Stars--This was an interesting enough debut from Shira Anthony about finding love with a rebound and first homosexual experience. Lawyer Jason Greene just caught his female fiancee cheating on him, so he tucks tail and runs his broken heart to Paris to try to mend. There he meets a 22 year old musician, Jules who is gay and outwardly flirtatious, on his first night visiting a jazz club. The two become unofficial roommates, fall into bed rather quickly and Jason discovers he can love a man.

Th
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: glbt-all, pdf
I really loved this story. It hit me just right. This is a GFY (although his sexuality is questionable to begin with) where we get to meet Jaz the toppy lawyer who meets a young cute submissive violin player. There are some really decent surprises to the story that keep it moving in a great direction. It does have the traditional secrets, miscommunication and Jules tend to be a 'runner', but other than that the story was solid. A plus to the story is that at least 80% of the story is based in Pa ...more
Susan65
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a pleasant surprise. I could really feel the emotions between both Jules and Jaz/Jason and I easily loved them both. Rosie was an amazing sister to Jaz, even though she annoyed me a bit when she kept butting into her brothers relationship issues (view spoiler)

There was quite a bit packed into this story and I will definitely be reading the other books, too.

My only issue, and this is a huge peeve of mine, was the excessive use of "the older man", "th
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧°**★°**★
Jason and Jule....so in love....

My favorite ---> cuddling <---

This was a simplistic love story. The rich man poor man, simply did NOT always work for me. But, I so wanted Jules to have it ALL. So I rooted for him nonetheless.

The romance felt at times, like a matter of well timed-convenience. I did not care for that aspect.

But, there are MANY things about this book that stood out in this book that I find love....listed below, are a few....

1. Jason's sister, she was awesome.
2. The writing st
Td
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-gap-10-plus
Sims has taken my thoughts right out of my head down to the niggles in her review. :D I agree 110%. (view spoiler) Lovely story, great couple and an amazing sense of place that completely carried me away. Two totally different types of stories from this author and 2/2 so far in my book.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
This was a nice relaxing read.
I felt almost as if I was in Paris with Jules and Jason (Jaz), as Jaz discovered a new side of himself and Jules grows into the man he is meant to be.
There is no real conflict for Jaz , as he realizes he's gay/bi and he does play a very important role in moving Jules career forward, but in the end it's a story of a developing love between these two very different men.
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

I thought Peter B. Brooke gave a wonderful performance and narrated spectacularly, particularly with the whole French language and accents. The narration was truly enjoyable - 5 Stars for the narration!

Clapping

Jason walks in on his fiancé boning another dude. He jokingly swears off women and takes a leave of absence and goes to Paris, where he lived with his family as a teenager, to stay in his sister's apartment and lick his wounds.

Once there he sees Jules playing in a jazz club, and through a series
Rhys Ford
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have to fully disclose that I've met Shira Anthony and found her adorable and lovely. So in the spirit of full disclosure, I have to declare that I went into reading Blue Notes with her sparkling personality and wit in mind.

And oh the book did not disappoint.

I love Paris (for the most part). It's not one of my deep loves like Venice or San Francisco but Paris has a certain flavour to it and Blue Notes captures that perfectly. Paris does love its music and certainly, has an intense love affair
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I can't message everyone because I only have phone internet but... Kindle freebie today! Hope everyone picks this one up!
Deeze
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Happy sigh*

Having just finished this one I can say this was possible the most romantic or maybe it's just because it's the freshest in my memory lol.

Watching Jules and Jason grow closer had me feeling all warm inside. The slow build from friendship to more worked perfectly for me.

There are no big dramas or deep angst in this book, unless you count the slight hic cup at the end. Typically I wanted to smack a few heads together.

Surprisingly I found even though I wanted to hate on Diane and her l
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: Net Galley
Shelves: reviewed
Quick review:

Cover: Good
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: HOT
Thumbs Up: 3.5
Overall: An interesting read that kept my attention.
Characters: Good
Plot: You can’t enjoy your future unless you free yourself from the past.
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend: sure
Book Boyfriend: Jason

SUMMARY (50 words or less)

I really found myself rooting for Jason. The set up for the story was a little unbelievable. Once you accept that, you can enjoy the story. If only the author didn’t keep mentioning the age
Shelby
And I find myself utterly in love with yet another character names Jules. This book was so amazingly sweet and exceedingly romantic. Paris and jazz music of course helping that image right along into a solid 4.5 stars.

Jason “Jaz” Greene is an extremely successful lawyer. He’s a shark in the courtroom, commanding, and in control of his life, until the day he walks in on his fiancé cheating on him. Feeling like his life is out of control he takes a leave of absence from his firm and travels to Par
Ezinwanyi
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ezinwanyi by: Sassafrass
I think the synopsis of this good aptly described the journey to love for Jason Green and Jules Bardon. I do feel bad but I found this story to be quite slow in pace. The only quick development was Jason jumping into a gay relationship after being "straight" all this time.

I was also indifferent to the characters. While I sympathized with Jason but he was boring to me. I don’t condone cheating but I felt like she cheated to get a rise or some kind of emotion from the workaholic. Also Jason clearl
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mm
I really enjoyed this story. The way Jason and Jules began their relationship just seemed very believable. It was easy to feel the varying emotions from Jason when being with Jules for the first time. Even though there was a pretty big age gap, and they seemed to be very different on the outside (Jason being a successful lawyer and Jules being a struggling musician from the streets), they turned out to be quite the good fit for each other.

The only real thing that bugged me about this was the fre
Anders
A great read! Sexy, sweet, with a wonderful HEA that make me tear up. The Paris backdrop was wonderful and realistic, almost like another character in the story. It made me wish I was there. And Jules, he was so sweet. Strong, and fragile, too, and a perfect match for Jason. I especially enjoyed the music references (I need to go listen to a few of them now!) and the way the author described them. I look forward to reading more of this series!
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This book could have been really great with about half the words turned into a plot. It was so slow moving and wordy and nothing happened through most of it. I was bored to tears. This is what I wrote a the 45% mark:
It's sweet but I'm bored to death. No angst, no drama, no conflict, no action, no plot. I may just die because I think maybe I could literally be bored to death. Have a virtual roast for me instead of a funeral.
Even though there were some great moments, I had a hard time sticking wi
Alex
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Stars: 2.5/5

Overall
While this story has some shining moments, the writing, the "rich man rescues poor kid" trope, and the beginning kept me from rating it too high. Initially I was concerned the book was going to end up on my rare DNF shelf, but it kept my attention enough to read through to the end. It picks up after its rocky start and some readers may be more forgiving of the negatives I point out, especially those who love Paris stories with music focuses and a slight age gap between protago
Lelyana
***3,8 stars rounded up

---review contain spoilers.***

This book is sweet, but a litter bitter for me because I didn't like the way their lacking of communication and I didn't like Jason's weakness about his ex and after the separation.
Jason is definitely not my dream man.
Jules on the other hand is sweet, strong, but also stubborn at the same time.
But I loved him no matter what.

Thank God for Rosie, I don't know what will happen to them if there's no Rosie!!!
Jason probably ended with that Sam guy
Shira Anthony
Nov 20, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
"Blue Notes" is the first in the "Blue Notes" series of interrelated, music-themed gay romances. Each book is stand-alone, but the characters all inhabit the same corner of the classical music world. Book Two in the series,The Melody Thief, was released by Dreamspinner Press on August 24, 2012.

"Blue Notes" is loosely based upon my life growing up in France and my career as a classical musician (violinist and opera singer). Jason's background is similar to my own, and I've even given him my home
Shirley Frances

Not much to say about this that hasn’t been said before. I loved it!

From the characters, the setting and the music references – I loved it from start to finish. The writing was very good. I enjoyed how the characters developed throughout the story and how the author managed to give insight into both characters to make me want to cheer them on. Jason was a great characters to get to know, but it was Jules who won my heart. He wore his heart on his sleeve and I just wanted to take him ho
Shira Anthony
Nov 20, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)

Heather C
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

I really liked this story and the characters...but I LOVED the visual and auditory imagery. I felt like I was in Paris and could hear the music.

Overall it was a pretty good read aside from a few annoyances along with the very predictable ending. The overuse of the American, the Frenchman, the older man, the younger man, etc. has to be my biggest complaint! Plus, both characters names began with "J" so I kept getting them confused.

Looking forward to reading the others in this series.
Roger - president of NBR United -
Oh my God I loved this book.

Set in France for most of the book, it is a love story being a "straight" Jewish American Lawyer and A french Violinist. this was great in both romance and the way both flawed characters lifted each other up. the sister Rosie of the lawyer Jason was a great supporting character as was quite a few of the other secondary cast.
  • Squire (Indigo Knights, #1)
  • Blind Items
  • Black Heart Down (Conquest, #5)
  • Rarer Than Rubies (Precious Gems, #1)
  • Cost of Repairs (Cost of Repairs, #1)
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Caregiver
  • All Bets Are Off (Mountain Boys, #1)
  • The Good Fight (The Good Fight, #1)
  • Fifteen Shades of Gay (For Pay)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
  • Loving Luki Vásquez (Vásquez & James, #1)
  • The Nothingness of Ben (The Austin Trilogy, #1)
  • The Missing Butterfly (Lovesongs, #1)
  • The Curtis Reincarnation
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Blue-Eyed Soul
  • Metal Heart
Shira Anthony is a complete sucker for a happily-ever-after, and rarely reads or writes a story without one. Never a fan of instalove, Shira likes to write stories about real men with real issues making real relationships work.

In her last incarnation, Shira was a professional opera singer, performing roles in such operas as “Tosca,” “Pagliacci,” and “La Traviata,” among others. Her Blue Notes Ser

Blue Notes (6 books)
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • Aria (Blue Notes, #3)
  • Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)
  • Encore (Blue Notes, #5)
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
“Jules rested the violin and bow on the case and sat down next to Jason. He hesitated for a moment, watching the older man with uncomfortable intensity, then reached for Jason and brushed a single tear from his cheek. For Jason, the touch was electric, and his physical response unexpected.

“Bach always touches my soul,” Jules half whispered. His fingers still rested against Jason’s cheek. “He must have known great love, and great pain, to write something so powerful.” Jason realized that his own pain must be showing on his face, because Jules, too, looked sad.

"I’ve never been religious,” Jules said, his eyes never leaving Jason’s, “but I played this piece in a tiny church once. It was like God was there with me, speaking through me.”

When Jason remained silent, Jules leaned forward and kissed him lightly on the lips. At a loss to explain the intense emotional and sexual response of his own body and equally unable to stop himself, Jason
reached for Jules and returned the kiss. The younger man’s lips tasted of wine and musk, and Jason realized that he was hungry for more.”
8 likes
“Jules sidled over to Jason and, without warning, slipped a single finger under the waistband of Jason’s pants. “I like the clothes,” he said as he looked up at Jason with a challenge in his eyes. Jason calmly extricated Jules’s hand, bringing it up between the two of them.

“You don’t quit, do you?” Jason chuckled, realizing that he’d not only gotten used to the kid’s flirting, but that he was beginning to find it a little bit flattering. His face grew warm with the thought, and he hoped that Jules hadn’t noticed.

“Nah. Quitting’s not my style.”
4 likes