Start by marking “A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Spoonful of Murder (Soup Lover's Mystery, #1)

A Spoonful of Murder

(Soup Lover's Mystery #1)

Winter is big business in small-town Snowflake, Vermont. Tourists arrive to hit the ski slopes--and what could be more satisfying after a chilly day of carving powder than a steaming bowl of soup?

Published August 7th 2012 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about A Spoonful of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spoonful of Murder

Debbie
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery
"A Spoonful of Murder" is a cozy mystery. It started out well, but I stopped enjoying the story once the murder happened.

I did not like spending time with Lucky. She was extremely self-centered. Lucky was upset when people repeated that a murder victim was found in the alley behind her shop because she felt this was ruining her shop's good reputation. Yet basically on the basis of a vague bit of gossip, she accused three men to their face of having an affair with and murdering the victim and als
Rane
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

I'm not big on cozies that center around food. Maybe because the author tends to focus alot on the food? Maybe because I get hungry reading about all the said food?
Either way I went into reading this not all hopeful. Connie Archer hooked me into the story and didn't let go! Everything was written with just the right amount to keep the reader page turning.

Lucky Jamieson is at a hard cross road in her life. Her parents tragic deaths has left her to pick up the pieces and taking over their Mom
LORI CASWELL
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Welcome to Snowflake, Vermont. Tourists arrive to hit the slopes and stop into By The Spoonful for a nice hot bowl of soup and a sandwich.

Lucky is forced to return from Wisconsin when she inherits the restaurant after an accident claims both her parents. She has a lot of decisions to make about her Grandfather who seems to be developing Alzheimer's, the restaurant, and basically her future.

When a blonde tourist is found behind dead and frozen behind the soup shop and her chef is the number one s
Vicky
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
What is it with editors and publishers these days? Just to make a buck is it? Well the discrepencies are blatant in this novel. The questions as to why Lucky didn't just move into her parents' house are there. Why is she painting the apartment in one chapter and then nothing is said again about that? It is all just filler. I don't like filler. I want a story that flows. This one doesn't. Random conversations draw me out of the story and say "what?" Interviewing "lovers" of the murder victim and ...more
Becky
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
This cozy was a little different from others I've read. Because of that it made it interesting. Loved the Grandpa! He was a great character.
Julesy
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This first book in the Soup Lover's series was the perfect book to read this time of year when the biting wind chills, snow, sleet and ice arrive. I dislike winter but the bright side of it is I love soups and making soups. Therefore, reading about By the Spoonful Soup Shop was an absolute must! I just wish I had read this earlier. I loved the setting of Snowflake, Vermont, a small town located near a ski resort where tourists flock to By the Spoonful. The characters feel authentic and real. The ...more
Linda
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Lucky inherits her parents soup shop, By the Spoonful, after they are killed in a car accident. Her grandfather, Jack, still helps run the shop. They have a great soup chef, Sage, who makes the most unique and delicious homemade soups and sandwiches for their customers. When Sage is accused of killing wealthy Patricia Honeywell, a winter visitor at the local ski resort, he's arrested, and Lucky's left without a soup chef. The majority of her customers stop coming to the shop to eat. Fearing bank ...more
Book Concierge
Lucky Jamieson inherits her parents’ restaurant, By the Spoonful, which is popular with both locals and the winter tourists who come for the skiing in Snowflake Vermont. The eatery’s chef does wonders with soup and the business seems to be thriving … until a woman is found frozen behind the soup shop, and chef Sage DuBois is arrested for her murder!

This has all the elements of a successful cozy mystery series: amateur sleuth, lots of mouth-watering dishes mentioned, a colorful cast of characters
Linda
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
Good first book in the series. I liked Lucky and was rooting for her. The mystery was good. The only thing I found unbelievable was how many people stopped coming to the Spoonful after a body was found out back, I can see business dropping off but usually you have some ghouls who want to see the scene of the crime or get the first hand account from people who found the body.
Cozy Reads
A Spoonful of Murder is book one in "Soup Lover's Mystery" series. Lucky has returned to her home town after inheriting her parents soup shop. She only plans to stay in town long enough to get the shop in order and make sure her grand father is okay. Before she can even settle in a murder takes place and the body is found by her shop. The chef of the restaurant is quickly arrested for the murder. Lucky and her staff know he is innocent but the town patrons don't seem to think so. Soon By the Spo ...more
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In A SPOONFUL OF MURDER, my first visit to Snowflake, Vermont was a delightful one. You know, with the exception of a dead body. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Lucky Jamieson, her grandfather Jack, the entire staff of By the Spoonful, as well as Dr. Elias Scott and Mayor Elizabeth Dove.

The entire story held my attention and the search for the killer kept me guessing. There were plenty of suspects to go around and so little to know about the victim, that anything was possible.

They were a few typos
Avid Series Reader
A Spoonful of Murder by Connie Archer is the first book of the Soup Lover's mystery series set in contemporary Vermont. Lucky returns to her hometown to take over running By the Spoonful, her parents' soup restaurant, following their tragic death in a car accident. Her grandfather Jack is all the family she has, and he may not have much stamina left. When a murder victim is found behind the shop, the shop's chef Sage is jailed by the police. Lucky trusts her parents' judgment and faith in Sage. ...more
Alyssa White
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
First off, I cannot wait for the next book. The characters on this story are all so interesting and you get to look into their lives which I love. Lucky's grandfather is one if the most interesting characters I have read about. This book was chosen to be read for a monthly readers group and I'm glad I participated in it. It was a really good read.
Loraine
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Soup Lover's cozy mystery series. It is a quick, easy to read secular series that is clean and interesting. I loved that it took place in the small town of Snowflake, Vermont in ski country. Lucky Jamieson has come back to take over her parents' restaurant, By the Spoonful after their death in a car accident. She discovers that things in the restaurant aren't in as good shape as her parents' had led her to believe. When a body is discovered behind the restaurant, th ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in one evening. For a debut book, it truly caught my attention.

A young woman returns to the family business after the tragedy of losing both parents in an automotive accident. Lucky Jamieson hardly feels worthy of her name, but, to her luck, her grandfather Jack is still with her and helping greatly. Jack isn't in the best of health but his spirit and strength helps our Lucky keep the 'By The Spoonful' soup restaurant open and thriving.

Until one day, when one of the restaurants
Shelley Giusti
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lucky Jamieson left everything behind to move back to Snowflake Vermont. Since the death of her parents she inherited the family business, By the Spoonful, a Soup Shop in the busiest tourist season of the year. With a lot on her plate she takes the responsiblity of running the shop with the helpof her grandfather Jack and her chef Sage. But did she take on more than she could handle ? When a tourist is found dead behind the shop, business is no longer heating up. Sage is taken into custody for h ...more
Kati
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
was hoping for more humor from this story, but it was rather dry. Lucky started out kinda whiny (ok, so it's understandable, her parents just died), but she never stopped feeling whiny. She kind of fell into solving the mystery presented, but it never seemed like she was very good at putting together the clues, and wound up kind of falling into the correct answer as to who the murderer was, as well. The potential relationship with Elias felt fake and forced.

Multiple editorial errors (calling cha
Laurie Stevens
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally go in for cozy mysteries, but I know a lot of people do. I really liked this book. Most of the stuff I read is tantalizingly disturbing, but after reading A Spoonful of Murder, I can see why these cozies are so popular. Connie Archer knows her genre and you will be craving a creamy cup of coffee after you read this. The mystery is sound, the characters true to life, and it's a lively, fun jaunt which will cause no mental disturbances!
Brandi
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a pick-me-up, then this is the book to pick up.
Anissa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery fans
Shelves: series, cozy-mystery, 2017
As Mrs. Todd tells Hercule Poirot in The Case of the Clapham Cook, "Well, let me tell you, Mr. High-and-Mighty Poirot, a good cook is a good cook. And when you lose one, it's as much to you as pearls are to some fine lady.", so it's no wonder that when the soup master chef of By the Spoonful Soup Shop is arrested for the murder of a wintering socialite, Lucky is motivated to find the real killer.

Lucky was an interesting heroine. I liked her well enough but she was also fairly obnoxious at times
Karen Christino
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This first book in a series is a traditional New England mystery updated for today. Characters are contemporary and compelling, especially the protagonist, Lucky, who's trying to save the family restaurant while solving the murder that put her chef in prison. Local color and descriptions of the meals served added to the enjoyment. Deftly plotted, with almost everyone, including Lucky's potential love interest, becoming a suspect before the surprising and satisfying solution. Looking forward to t ...more
Brooke Showalter (Brooke Blogs)
This tasty start to a cozy series is the perfect book to curl up with when the winter weather is blowing outside. I very much enjoyed A Spoonful of Murder and I look forward to catching up on the books in the series that I've missed.

Following the unexpected death of her parents, Lucky Jamieson moves home to Snowflake, Vermont to take over her parents' soup shop. She finds herself as amateur sleuth when her chef is arrested for the murder of a winter tourist. Lucky was a bit of an anomaly for me.
Mary Brown
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Spoonful Of Murder
A Soup Lover’s Mystery, Book 1
Connie Archer
5 Stars

Synopsis:

When Lucky Jamieson inherits her parents' soup shop, By the Spoonful, she realizes it's time to take stock of her life. Should she sell her parents' house or move in herself? Does she really want to run a restaurant business?
Chaitra
This rating depresses me. As a challenge junkie, I need this series. It's got too many things going for it. But I didn't like it. In a review of another cozy, I mentioned how refreshing it was to come by information without losing your decency. This book is the opposite. Lucky wasn't really a good person. She had issues with a couple of random ladies talking about her restaurant badly because there was a murder there, but she asks so many questions and spills so many secrets entrusted to her - a ...more
Jeanmarie Jones
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This was the first in a new series, and being a soup lover, I was excited to read it. I liked the characters and I liked the ideas that came about in the story line, but I missed the actual "foodie" theme behind the story. When I read a cozy mystery that is food based, I want to hear so much about the food, that I can taste it as I am reading, I can smell it. Being a soup lovers mystery, I felt the author never got into the foodie parts and I missed that. I don't know if the rest in the series g ...more
Allison
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was really enjoyable. Set in a small tourist town in Vermont, our investigator owns a restaurant that specializes in soups. When her Chef is arrested for murder and no longer able to hold down the kitchen duties she goes out on her own to solve the murder. Mostly I enjoyed this but there were 1 or 2 places where I had to suspend my common sense and just believe that an amateur sleuth would have the guts to invade a police station and search through a box of evidence. Overall it was enjoyabl ...more
Text Addict
Sorry, book, but I'm leaving you for another. She also runs a restaurant, but more importantly, she's funny, in that wacky kind of way that I particularly like. You, alas, are not funny, you kind of annoyed me with the gloomy infodump and the quickfix of Lucky's friendship with whatshername, and, well, basically, I just don't think we're compatible. But you're not all that bad, really - I'm sure you'll find other readers who do love you!

Best of luck,

Text
Michele
May 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Somehow, this mystery just fails to convince me of much. The idea of a soup shop seems far-fetched to begin with. Why the owner was so convinced the cook wasn't who dunnit totally didn't ring true at all. The victim wasn't likeable and the amateur sleuth's behavior was lame in the extreme. For me, the book didn't work at all.
E.Michael Helms
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lucky's in Deep Soup!

Lucky Jamieson finds herself in deep soup when the star chef of the restaurant she just inherited from her late parents is arrested for murder. A delightful cast of characters and just enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing make Connie Archer's first entry of the Soup Lover's Mystery series a satisfying read. Lap this one up spoonful by tasty spoonful!
Debbie
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I struggled with this book for the first 50 pages or so, but then it grabbed hold of me and I just had to read. I'm glad it was Sunday and I had the afternoon to finish the story. I'm anxious to move on with this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Play Book Tag: A Spoonful of Murder / Connie Archer - 3*** 1 9 Dec 23, 2018 08:47AM

• Chili Con Carnage (Chili Cook-Off Mystery #1)
  • An Appetite for Murder (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Do or Diner (A Comfort Food Mystery, #1)
  • Murder Unmentionable (Sweet Nothings, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • The Pickled Piper (Pickled & Preserved Mystery, #1)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • Mind Over Murder (Raven's Nest, #1)
  • Iced Chiffon (Consignment Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Cake on a Hot Tin Roof (A Piece of Cake Mystery #2)
  • The Christie Curse (Book Collector Mystery #1)
  • Dire Threads (Threadville Mystery, #1)
  • Gluten for Punishment (A Baker's Treat, #1)
  • A Killer Read (Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
Connie Archer is the national bestselling author of the Soup Lover’s Mystery Series from Berkley Prime Crime: A SPOONFUL OF MURDER, A BROTH OF BETRAYAL, A ROUX OF REVENGE, LADLE TO THE GRAVE and A CLUE IN THE STEW. Connie's excerpts and recipes can also be found in THE COZY COOKBOOK from Penguin Random House and THE MYSTERY WRITERS OF AMERICA COOKBOOK. Connie was born and raised in New England. Sh ...more

Soup Lover's Mystery (5 books)
  • A Broth of Betrayal (Soup Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • A Roux of Revenge (Soup Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Ladle to the Grave (Soup Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • A Clue in the Stew (Soup Lover's Mystery, #5)