Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Issue #1” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Issue #1

The Walking Dead, Issue #1

(The Walking Dead (Single Issues) #1)

Rick Grimes, Sheriff of a small town in Kentucky awakes in a hospital. Comatose after being shot while on duty, Rick finds the world abandoned of all things living and is faced with walking undead, who attack him on sight. He returns home to find his family, son Carl and wife Lori, gone. He meets his new neighbor, who points him towards Atlanta. After retrieving supplies f ...more
Published October 2003 by Image Comics (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Issue #1, please sign up.
Eric Aikman Yes there is you just have to pay for them with money

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Issue #1
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
There you go. I read the first issue. I also saw the first episode of the TV series, and that's about it. I have no further knowledge of The Walking Dead, but I felt for a long time now the need to see what all the hype was about.

I like the art even if it's a little different from what I'm used to. We shall see.
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Yes, I am one of those lame people who watched the show before picking up the comic. Apparently, I wasn't cool enough to realize that this world existed before AMC introduced me to it. Well that, and I can honestly say that I'm fairly new to this whole world of graphic novels, comics and manga. I'm pretty sure that my love of Archie comics as a child (TEAM BETTY!) doesn't count.

This review will have some pics because I want to show what's going on in the book.

Not gonna lie...I find show Rick to
Mindy (Naughty Book Snitch)
Free as of 9/22/19

Umm. Ok.
Im not a fan of the show but this was free so I thought I would give it a try. I liked it better than the show because it didn't take an hour to read it.

description
Hayat
***This short graphic novel is free on Kindle***

I wasn't interested in The Walking Dead graphic novels until I began binge watching The Walking Dead TV series with my son as a way to get over a bad case of the flue (I've been pretty sick for two week and wanted a bit of escapism) and also my son wanted to try out this show because his friends loved it so much. That was few days ago and we just finished watching the second season and I can honestly say, the show is brilliant, the plot is addictiv
Steven
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Moderately entertaining.
Joel
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
I will start saying that I'm not a fan of the tv series. I read this issue because it was for free on Amazon books. However I enjoyed this short-read.

The Best: The illustrations are very good. (specially the zombies' illustrations)

The Worst: The short story itself.

Sorry psycho-fans. I'm just honest.
Cathy
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I was a bit confused, because Rick doesn't look like Rick. And then I wanted to smack myself, because the comic came before the TV series, correct?

I really like the black-white-and-grey pencil work. Minimalistic, but great in telling the story. Very good artwork.
Chantal
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Always wanted to read the comic of the walking dead and now I have it. It is nice to see some similarities with the series, not all but some. I liked how it is drawn. The issues are not too long. Makes me wonder about issue 2.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombies, horror, gn
2.5

Of course I've seen the TV episode first. This short is not bad as an attention grabber, but only if you have the next too. On its own, it's an okay starter to the series.
I think I am the only person alive who isn't that much of a fan of the series (the TV series). This may as well be the way to get into it.
Sara
May 21, 2019 added it
This is free on kindle!

As someone who used to love The Walking Dead TV show it was nice to go back and see where it all started!
Dustin
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that's passionate about art and great storytelling.
Recommended to Dustin by: Stepheny

I owe a great deal of gratitude to Stepheny Zimmerman, for convincing me to try this in the first place, eons ago. Most likely, I probably wouldn't have ever tried it, let alone enjoyed it. Thank you, buddy.

Now, having watched The Walking Dead a number of times, I thought I knew what to expect, and I was both right and wrong. On the one handle, the comprising twenty-six black and gray pages are nearly identical to the pilot episode. On the other, there seems to be more heart and soul here; mor
Cheryl
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
So, this was one of a few freebie graphic novels that I downloaded from Kindle to introduce myself to them and get a feel as to what makes a quality one.
Most people are acquainted with The Walking Dead, and as I started reading this I thought "Whoa! This is exactly like the TV series. What's the point in the rehash?" And there my complete ignorance showed. After skimming through more than a few reviews I quickly realised that the TV series was actually based on this set of graphic novels!
That m
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Having watched the last episode in the new series on the television, I was getting major withdrawal symptoms at having to wait another six months before the next new series. So, it hit me that I should give the books/comics a go in the meantime.

I was a bit dubious as I have a kindle paperwhite and had no idea if a comic style book would be any good on it and even more worryingly, am I to old for comics?

I didn't have to worry though. This is one set of comic books that definitely is for adults on
Kim
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies-invade
I am a HUGE fan/ Obsessed fan of the show Walking Dead and I have wanted to start reading the comics for a long time!!! However I am having a hard time finding them! My library was like.. What is Walking Dead? wtf really? **slap**. I found issue one online. So it looks like I am headed to Barnes real soon here.
محمد عادل
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
I'v been a "walking dead" fan since I was a kid!
♥ Marlene♥
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first adult comic reading on a kindle.

Back in my punky days when I lived in Amsterdam I remember that near the dam square there was a comic shop. I think it must have been of of the first where you could only buy comics. For me when I thought of comics Suske en Wiske, (also named Willy & Wanda, Bob & Bobette an Asterix came to mind. So when I wandered in that shop I could not believe it. There were all kinds of comics. Science Fiction, Sexy, violent and many very well drawn adult comics.

I di
*moving profiles*
This is my first adventure in comic land. I know, I know, someone needs to revoke my nerd card. But, I wasn't sure I would like it. I don't really care for illustrations in my reading. It takes away from my imagination of the situations I'm reading about. But, I'm a The Walking Dead fanatic. From the show to the games, I just love it. So, I figured I would go to where it all began, the comics and guess, what? I liked it. It's something new and different but enjoyable. So give me my nerd card bac ...more
Denisa C
Since this is also in romanian, I will start, in the near future, to colect them.
They are cheap, so good for me.
Really curious of how this is going to continue, I have to mention I am clueless to the TV show, have not watch it.
Tyreese
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD! This was a great refresher to the TV show! I loved to art style and the characters! Highly recommend!!!
Joseph Inzirillo
Fantastic. Just as I had hoped.
Darlene
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Go here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show… to see my overall review of this first book (paperback). But I wanted to give my two cents on the Kindle version which I read right after the paper version.

I know there is a generation that at this moment thinks this is a chintzy way to read a comic book. They will change their minds when they have weak eyes like mine. It took me two days to get through the paperback. The font so light and thinned lined. My eyes hurt.

I am in love with the Kindle ver
TamaraT
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
A friend gave me this comic eince she knows that I liked watching the show. As for the comic though...it was ok I guess. I can't help but compare it to the first episode of the series and the comic was actually more tame. An ok read but if I'd read this without having seen the show I wouldn't have picked up the next one in this series.
Anna
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first ever comic book and I loved it! I did not think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did. Even though I watch the show, I was still into the story line. Absolutely recommend this to all fans of the TV show.
Holly
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the Walking Dead! The comics are great and it's fun to compare them to the show.
Sven
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
A slow start for a serie that is know by a lot off people. For the moment am i a bigger fan from the tv serie.
Fantasyryus
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Same as the movie until now.
Darlene I read to many boooks
I enjoyed somewhat of the show but i wanted to see how the comics were.

I feel like rick has more emotion in this lol. Idk if ill keep reading on.. but its okay..
stefania
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
very different from the first episode on the tv series.
Annie
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite all the TV hype, I have not watched any of the Walking Dead episodes. I came across this free Kindle copy on Amazon and thought that I'd have a read.

This is definitely an adult comic given the nature of the storyline. Policeman, Rick Grimes wakes up to find himself in hospital. The place appears very strange and deserted, so he decides to see if he can find anyone. He arrives at a set of double doors that have been shut with a metal bar through the handle, so he decides to remove the ba
Joseph Gagnon
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-i-ve-read
I have just finished the first issue. Honestly, I've been avoiding the TV show, because it looks like just another zombie story. I feel like I already know what I am in for. However, I have been getting into comic books lately. Thusly, I have decided to give these comics a chance. I still probably won't watch the show. I hear the comics are way better anyway.

Rick seems like a nice, tough dude. We're getting off to your classic zombie apocalypse start. The protagonist doesn't know what's going on
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Future Teachers, ...: Review #4 1 1 Nov 18, 2016 11:32PM
Lovers of Paranor...: Who's your favorite Walking Dead character? 18 45 Aug 15, 2016 07:11PM

• Y: The Last Man #1
  • The Last of Us: American Dreams #1
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #2
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us #1
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us (Digital Edition) #1
  • Ultimate Spider-Man, Volume 1: Power and Responsibility
  • Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #1 (of 4)
  • Hawkeye #1
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 1: The Tomorrow People
  • Watchmen #1: At Midnight, All The Agents....
  • Carnage #2
  • The Art of The Last of Us
  • Before Watchmen: Rorschach #1 (of 4)
  • Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe #3
  • Venom
  • FCBD 2015: Aliens #0
  • The Superior Spider-Man, Volume 1
  • Stranger Things Ashcan

The Walking Dead (Single Issues) (1 - 10 of 193 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Issue #2