Start by marking “The Opposite of Tidy” as Want to Read:
The Opposite of Tidy

The Opposite of Tidy

Fifteen-year-old Junie is barely coping. Her mother has started sleeping in the chair in front of the TV, and the house is so packed with junk, newspapers, cupboard organizers and other helpful items from the Shopping Channel that she can barely get in the front door. Her father is no help, since he's always with That Woman. To top it off, she's failing math. So when Wade ...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Razorbill (first published March 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Opposite of Tidy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Opposite of Tidy

Start your review of The Opposite of Tidy
Sabrina
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I wasn’t really interested in reading this book at first, just by the cover. There wasn’t anything wrong with it, I’m just not a fan of “untidy” and didn’t feel like reading a YA book about what I presumed to be a messy room that reflected the mess in a 6th grader’s life. I was later confused when I learned that the book revolved around the story of a hoarder–or the daughter of a hoarder. I hate to say this, but I genuinely thought that hoarders were just people that didn’t care about living in ...more
Jayme
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So I started and finished this book in one day... it was THAT good! The story is about a 15 year old girl named Junie and her mother is a hoarder. Although this is a fictional tale, I feel that the writer must have done a lot of research on hoarding and the people who suffer because of it. Her descriptions were quite detailed and just made you feel like taking a shower.
This is from the first page: "... Her big fat self smelled rank. Junie couldn't recall the last time her mother had washed her
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian-ya
Wow. Carrie Mac has written a heart-breaking book about a 15-year-old girl who is dealing with her parents' divorce, that woman that her father had an affair with, the attentions of the hot new boy at school, Wade, and a life dominated by the lies she tells and the secrets she keeps to keep her mother's compulsive hoarding hidden.

I'll admit that during the first chapter or two, I wasn't sure about it. (Seemed like there was a bit of telling rather than showing at times.) However, I have to
Melody
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book about a teen girl whose mom is a hoarder.
Angel
You can find this review and many more at Mermaid Vision Books!

Source: ARC received from publisher

Tell Me More:When you're a teen, the smallest fall can seem like a disaster of epic proportions. You try your best to build an impenetrable wall, stay dignified and cool, but underneath that facade, most teens often have very real problems. It's nothing new to those of us who have passed adolescence. But what happens when one of those very real problems includes your own survival? Carrie Mac'sThe
Anna  (The Bursting Bookshelf)
Everyone has seen the hoarding shows on television at some point or another or they've at least heard of them. This book is a take on the effects that hoarders have on their loved ones, specifically their children. Unlike the TV shows, this book offered a very personal feeling take on the issue without seeming too cliche or falsified.

The cover is a good representation of the book; it features a pile of clothing, which was one of the many things hoarded by the mother of the main character. Also,
CαthεεBooks
Come by my blog, Forever Lost in Books, for MORE reviews, giveaways, interviews and memes!

Title : The Opposite of Tidy

Series : -
Author : Carrie Mac
Pages : (my copy) 361
Release Date : April 10th 2012
Publisher : Razorbill / Penguin Canada
Format : ARC
Source :
**Thank you to Penguin Canada for providing an ARC in exchange of an honest review!**

My Opinion :

The Opposite of Tidy was a moving and heart-breaking book.

It's the story of Junie, the daughter of a hoarder. Her mother keeps buying junk and
Rachel Pieters
Dec 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya
I'm quite torn about this book. There were things I liked about it, and things I did not.

The things I liked:
I liked the story itself. I was drawn to it in the book store because the story was unique and interesting. I liked the way it unfolded, and I liked the surprise at the end, tying everything together. There were also some excellent setting descriptions and the writing itself was good.

What I didn't care for:
The many references of things long gone, by which I mean - pop culture. Laura
Maria
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
The Opposite of Tidy seemed interesting enough when I picked it up at the library. After all, there aren't many books about the daughter of a compulsive hoarder. I feel like this book had the potential to be good, but it just... wasn't. Although the setting was very unique and interesting, it wasn't enough to save the book from the gaping hole that is the lack of ANY personality for Junie. She is in NO WAY unique. She's what every teenage girl would be if you took away all personality. Really, ...more
Teena in Toronto
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian
Junie doesn't have an easy life. She's failing math, even though her pal, Otto, is tutoring her. Marla, her mother, is a hoarder who doesn't shower and spends her days and nights in a chair ordering stuff off the Shopping Channel. Junie knows that if anyone finds out how serious the situation is with Marla, Social Services wouldn't let her live there any more and who would take care of her mother? Her dad had hired a life coach last year to help her mother but he ended up leaving Marla for the ...more
Jenny
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Junie’s been living with the secret of her mother’s hoarding for so long. The only one who know about it is her best friend Tabitha, and even she doesn’t know how bad the situation really is. When Wade Jaffre takes an interest in her, Junie’s life becomes increasingly messy with the lies she tells in order to protect her biggest secret.

Junie lies because she doesn’t want Wade to know about her mom’s compulsive hoarding and how he will see her after he finds out. But by not speaking up and
Lisa RC
White Pine Book #4

Juniper's (Junie) mom is a hoarder. Extreme one too. Her mom (Marla) rarely leaves the house, more specifically, a chair she sits in front of the TV. Often, she finds herself ordering useless junk from infomercials and watching the famous Kendra Show.

Things change when Wade asks Junie out. Embarrassed by her mother, Junie starts lying. These lies start to compile, almost like the junk her mother hoards at home.

Did I like this book? It's alright. I can't say I love it, but I
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This was a typical YA storyline featuring a new and fresh situation. The storyline follows the standard girl has secret and doesn’t tell boy, boy finds out and leaves mad, girl tries to fix things for a happy ending. But the situation involving a hoarder and reality show is interesting and unusual.

I have always has a fascination with hoarding, and all hoarder reality shows. Seeing it in print, including lots of “behind the scenes” sides was quite entertaining. I especially love the “dirty” side
Michelle Wrona
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Okay. So The Opposite of Tidy isn't how I thought it would be, it was the opposite. (Get it? Get it?)

In a way, this book was gross, just disgusting. This mother may be sick, but who'd really want to read about toilets overflowing and spilling out in the basement? I know I wouldn't, but sadly, I did.

Minus the "grossness," this novel would be pretty good. in my opinion. It could have been better, though.

The plot was very intriguing, hoping that everything would work out. The show in the
Kendra
Junie's mom is a hoarder. Her dad left them for That Woman. Her best friend, Tabitha, is amazing. Wade Jeffres is hot and he offered her a ride home!

When Junie and Wade drive down her street, she sees her parents arguing in the driveway and tells Wade that her house is really Tabitha's house. Instead of telling the truth, she spins a web that eventually falls apart. Now Junie has to figure out how to deal with her mom being on TV and a boyfriend who won't talk to her.

This book is an interesting
Steffy
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Review: Well this book was one of a kind, I liked it and I really couldn’t help but feel bad for Junie, I understand why she is mortified about her life and what started with just a small lie took proportions that became quickly out of control.
I liked Wade too even if sometimes I found him a little bit ‘tasteless’ and yet he was jut good, Junie should have figured out and I have to admit it annoyed me a bit she waited so long to come clean.
This book do touch a sensitive subject, Junie situation
Kat Drennan-Scace

there aren't many books about kids dealing with a parent with mental illness, at least not as many as there should be and The Opposite of Tidy does a fairly decent job of portraying what it might be like. While the writing is a bit simplistic and does a lot of telling instead of showing, I found myself drawn into the characters and their struggle. Pretty good, and it definitely gets points for telling a story about something that is becoming more and more prevalent or at least known - hoarding.
Jenn
Apr 23, 2012 marked it as to-read
Wow.

A very difficult but also very compelling book by the extremely talented Carrie Mac. Summary is above so I won't give it again; suffice to say, Junie life isn't easy, and hasn't been for a while. She struggles to find her place in the world but also to have a normal life despite all efforts to ensure that she doesn't. I know - vague, but I don't want to give any spoilers.

It's a slow start and you may wonder where things are going but stay with the book - your heart will break more than
Isabel
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was a well written book. Quite horrified of Junie's quality of life. Would recommend. Didn't like how the show scene went by so fast and the fact that Junie is disrespectful and disgusting to her step-mom (yeah, she did play a part in breaking up the family, but it ain't entirely her fault; geeez Junie). Also, sometimes, I really want to slap Junie because she has PROBLEMS. Other than that, the book was good.
Alexis
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
A realistic teen fiction novel about a girl whose mother has a hoarding problem. The book is set in Vancouver and features many interesting characters. The reader learns how the hoarding impacts on the girl's life and personal relationships and some of the reasons behind hoarding are explored. I was intrigued by the story and wanted to find out what happened to the characters.

A fairly solid piece of teen fiction.
WeeWaa13
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It really makes you think about the world in a different way. It isn't a book I plan on reading again though. Not because it was bad in any way, it isn't the type of book you need to read again.
Diana Thompson
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like Carrie Mac's books and this was no exception. Junie has a problem that she is embarrassed about, and I can see her getting into all the predicaments she does. One lie leads to another ... It was interesting to see her friend and her friend's mom support her deception, not realizing how bad it had become. We do not realize what some kids have to live through.
Rachel Seigel
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was really difficult to read at times. Carrie Mac does an excellent job of making the reader understand the feelings of the main character, whose mother is a serious hoarder. I nearly cried when she described how it felt entering the house. I was thoroughly engaged and it made me consider my own collection of "stuff" and how easily it can get out of control.
Ri
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have no words, just that this book was a meh in my opinion. I thought that the portrayal of the hoarder mom was pretty realistic and pretty good. I dunno. I liked the plotline and the journey and all, but it wasn't very interesting to me whatsoever, so I'm giving this book a meh.
Janna
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Hits a little close to home for me for a few reasons.

Carrie Mac is definitely one of my favourite Canadian YA authors (I read The Grypon Project a few years ago); I can't wait to read more!
Kirsten
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Teresa
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: white-pine
It was okay, I really liked the issue (hoarding), but I didn't *love* everything else. The interaction b/n the main character and her friend really put me off (as it seemed quite bizarre and unrealistic). I also did not like the romance aspect.
Jess
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it, it was a good read and I liked the definite uniqueness of it. I think maybe it could win this years award because it was extremely better than most of the reads this year in white pine that's for sure.
Taylor Barrett
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very well-written. The exploration of the effects of addiction on loved ones was excellent.
tamarack
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
well done realistic teen fiction. definitely recommended for the teen folk.

• One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories
  • The Girl I Used to Be
  • The Truth Commission
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • All Good Children
Four-eyed bookword, tattooed queer, storyteller nomad mama to two unschooled earthlings, based in East Van, overlooking the shipyard cranes and always ready for the next most amazing giant tiny little big wonderful something to capture my attention.

Or:

When Carrie Mac was born, her right eye gawked off in one direction while her left eye looked the other way. Well meaning adults thought she was a