Start by marking “The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore” as Want to Read:
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

4.52  ·  Rating details ·  9,893 Ratings  ·  1,605 Reviews
Morris Lessmore loved words.
He loved stories.
He loved books.
But every story has its upsets.

Everything in Morris Lessmore’s life, including his own story, is scattered to the winds.
But the power of story will save the day.
Published June 19th 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, please sign up.
Audrey Chapman This books target age range is 5 - 7. Its Lexile reading level is classified as AD650, which stands for adult-directed, third-grade reading level.…moreThis books target age range is 5 - 7. Its Lexile reading level is classified as AD650, which stands for adult-directed, third-grade reading level. This is a wonderful book to read together to encourage the love of books and reading.(less)

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A perfect picture book for book lovers! A reminder that no matter what happens in life, books will always be there to bring you comfort.
Deb Tyo
Must. Have. This. Book.

My students are writing their own versions of The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore.

I started by showing my students the first couple minutes of the short film that is based on this book. The students then began writing their story. Each day since, I have played a bit more of the film for the students. After each section, they continued their own story. I cannot wait for the students to complete their stories and share them. Each is incredibly unique and amazi
Calista
I adore this surreal book. This was recommended on Jesse the Reader's channel and it is fantastic. Something about this little story lifts your heart up. Each page is a surprise and a treat. I love that the books have personality and they roost.

If you want to add some joy to your life, this is a book for any book lover. There was a short made of this and I want to see it, or the other way around. This describes the experience and joy of reading. What a marvelous and wondrous book this is. I need
Meredith Holley
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bookies
Recommended to Meredith by: tommie, elizabeth
Shelves: reviewed, wise
I was reading Within a Budding Grove recently, and the copy I have is an older one, the dust jacket worn and ripped in places. I like to read hardcovers of books the best, so I can use the dust jacket as a bookmark, and so I feel like the book is solid and less likely to get creased and broken by my reading. But, this copy was delicate, and every time I touched it, I could feel it crumbling in my fingers. The book itself was a beautiful, delicate thing, like the writing and ideas on its page, li ...more
Jen
I've been reading this one to my littlest human for a couple of weeks now (thanks to a dear friend who gave it to me- thank you!)and it comes closer than many other books about reading, books, and libraries in expressing my feelings about these things to the people I've made.

For me, a place with books is kind of a sacred place. I can't fully explain it. Perhaps I think this way because when I was sporting a ponytail like Rainbow Brite, books were the only things that I could carry that could i
Trudi
Love love love

Adore adore adore

Beautiful beautiful beautiful

A book lover's book. An object to be cherished. A story meant to be told again and again.

It softened the edges of this librarian's cynical soul for a bright wondrous moment.
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

“Everyone’s story matters.”

Joys, sorrows and everything that we hope for in life can get so confusing, mixed up or lost. We have to hold on and keep working and searching for our path and purpose in life. Keep looking for peace and inspiration. I found inspiration here.

Welcome to the library. Welcome to The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore...

“Morris slowly walked inside and discovered the most mysterious and inviting room he had ever seen. It was filled with the fluttering of countl
Kathryn
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first fell in love with the Fantastic Flying Books and Morris Lessmore's story from the beautiful Academy Award-winning short film based on Joyce's book. I was so excited when my library finally got a copy of the book itself so that I could enjoy the original.

And what a gorgeous book it is!

I love the story so much and it's so beautiful and touching and full of meaning that I don't really want to say too much about it. I think it is open to many interpretations. I know I had my own idea of who
Tisha
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Children's book???? NO WAY!!!! This book is an emotion! It cannot be categorized only as a children story. NEVER! This book picturizes the long cherished dream of every bibliophile.

It is praiseworthy that how beautifully the author has presented the impacts of books on our lives just in few pages! SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL!

Books fill our lives with colors. They become our companion when we have no one. They become our best friends! But sometimes we forget them, we abandon them and that is the time when
KatLynne
Mr. Morris Lessmore loved words. He loved stories. He loved books. As a young man, he was enjoying writing his own story until the winds came and scattered his book and all his words across the land.

This little gem is perfectly illustrated. It clearly demonstrates the love of books and how they transform lives. This is not just a children's favorite but will appeal to everyone who loves the written word.

A charming and captivating read that quickly became a favorite for all ages.

See the short f
Ryan Dejonghe
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I usually try to separate my children’s book reviews on Amazon and my book feed on goodreads. This book is the exception. Everyone—no matter the age or genre interest—should read this book.

Sometimes we are fortunate to have a story medium transcend the barrier between what is called a children’s story and what is a story for adults. In books, I would liken this to something like Where the Wild Things Are. For movies, this is like Toy Story; it is something that can be enjoyed and appreciated by
Lisa Vegan
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of books and stories and diary writing
Recommended to Lisa by: Elizabeth
I’m a sucker for books about books, and this is a fantastic book. For me, it was 5 stars all the way, up until toward then end, then it lost me a bit, but I still really liked it. I particularly liked the books as characters. I liked the lending library setting. I liked so much.

The story is sweet and amusing and inventive, and sort of sad too. Most of the pages had me smiling.

The illustrations are fabulous to view, so detailed and creative and unusual.

I can recommend this book to fans of books,
Elevetha
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles + Everyone
*squeals in joy* A bibliophile's book, if ever I have read one. I don't think I can put into words how lovely this book is; how charming and heartbreaking and true it is*. Only a book lover would understand, which is why I do think that as much as children might enjoy the book, they probably won't find as much meaning in it as someone older. And it has layers. The more I read it, the more I see in it. But no matter how old you are or how many books you've read, it's a lovely story.

Oh, and the sh
Cheri
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Book Lovers, Parents of young children, All Ages,
Recommended to Cheri by: Meredith Holley
My love of reading began when I was fairly young, and although I've always loved being read to, I think even from a young age, I've loved the magic of falling into a book and being enclosed in its story, wrapped in its words. Long before I started school, my older brother had taught me to read, and my world was forever transformed, unseen doors opened and this charming book, "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" brought the memory of all that back to me in mere moments.
The illustra
Karen A.
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My rating is a little biased because this is clearly a love letter to librarians from Mr. Joyce. Dear Mr. Joyce ... you flatterer you!!. I accept.
Maria Roxana
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Povestea noastră se încheie așa cum a început.....cu deschiderea unei cărți.”
O cărticică minunată pe care toți iubitorii de cărți o vor iubi!
Matthew
To check out my reviews: http://dancinginth3dark.blogspot.com

Beautiful and Heartbreaking

We meet Mr. Morris Lessmore who is constantly reading books and every day he imagines his life as a book and with every new day comes a new blank page for him to write his joys and sorrows. Then one day a storm comes blowing and destroys everything and takes Morris off to a parallel world where he sees a girl flying away with books and he's angry that his books aren't magical.

The girl witnesses this and send
Abdollah zarei
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
موریس با خودش فکر کرد که شاید کتابِ او هم بتواند پرواز کند؛ اما کتابش نتوانست. فقط توانست با صدای «تلپ» ناامیدکنندهای روی زمین بیفتد.

عجب کتابی بود. یه داستان از دنیای بوک وورما. کسایی که با کتاب زندگی کردن بزرگ شدن و عاشقش شدن. نگاه موریس و تنهاییش برای همه مون آشنا و ملموسه. ساعت ها روز ها و هفته هایی که همهمون با کتاب گذروندیم. باهاش بزرگ شدیم. شاد شدیم خندان و گریان شدیم. عجب حس بینظیری بود. نوشتارهای کتاب هرچند کوتاه بودن ولی حس عمیقی به آدم میداد

اتاق از خش خش کاغذها زنده شد. و اینطوری بود ک
Teresa
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you've seen the (Academy Award-winning) short film of this, you already know how gorgeous the illustrations are; and that the charming story is a love letter to both books and their readers.

Perhaps the silent film is even better than the book, but that doesn't take anything away from it. It's a lovely keepsake, and mine is autographed!
Kortessa
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book!! I get emotional every time I read it!! I can't find the words.It's a book that can make anyone love books!!! The illustrations are amazing and meaningfull!!!
I m thinking of giving it as a gift to my daighters' school for the school library!!!!
Great for every age!!!!!
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
Hey all! This is not only an interactive book, it's the #1 "app" on the Igadgets. And my friend Joe Bluhm designed it. That's right, my friends are mega talented!
Cindy
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wunderwunderwunderschön!
Da geht jedem echten Büchermenschen das Herz auf!
Noura
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Noura by: Johara Almogbel
This is way more emotional than I thought it would be. It's heartwarming and heartbreaking and just basically essential to everyone who loves to read.

What a beautiful book.
Andrew
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked: the entire touching story except for that part where I teared up at the end.

she liked the flying books, the talking books, and all the books.
Jamila
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beyond love this!!!!
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This picture book deserves the same praise I have only said one other time this year, which is, if there's only 1 picture book you're able to pick up this year THIS IS THE ONE! William Joyce is one of my favorite children's storytellers and illustrators. His talent for creating imaginative worlds, and his brilliant story telling goes beyond introducing children to the limitless possibilities of imagination. As an adult he reminds me of that excitement I first felt when I was a child and was intr ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Willam Joyce has done it again, he has created another masterpiece.

The story of Mr. Morris Lessmore is heart-felt and inspiring. Mr. Morris Lessmore loves books, so much so that he is nearly devastated when a disaster strikes and scatters all his beautiful books. Fortunately, he is able to find his way back to books and he spends the rest of his life sharing the stories of books with others. The illustrations are dark during the disaster and brighten up as the books are once again able to share
Clare Cannon
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing

The picture book of all picture books, this one's gone straight to the favourites shelf! Its words and pictures tell how books transform lives, lifting people up from where they are and helping them become everything they could be.

Every family should have a copy of this delightful book in their home to introduce children to the joy of reading. www.GoodReadingGuide.com

And do watch the short film, it's delightful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adzywe...
juan carlos
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un hermoso libro, donde nos muestra que cada hoja nos muestra una historia y que cada personajes nos narra una vida.

Todos iniciamos a vivir cuando abrimos un libro, y todos morimos al cerrar un libro.

La edición es preciosa y las imágenes son una obra de arte.
Bella
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-rating, loved
Alltså, det här är bara så jäkla bra. Underbar berättelse med fantastiska bilder! LÄS LÄS LÄS!!
Book Buying Addic...: * What do you think of the masthead I picked for our group? 53 315 Jul 23, 2015 04:20PM
Red Dot Books: Yo...: The Best and the Worst? 1 5 Oct 21, 2012 03:40AM
  • Green
  • The Snatchabook
  • Oliver
  • Blackout
William Joyce does a lot of stuff—films, apps, Olympic curling—but children’s books are his true bailiwick (The Numberlys, The Man in the Moon, Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King, Toothiana, and the #1 New York Times bestselling The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which is also an Academy Award–winning short film, to name a few). He lives with his family in Shre ...more
More about William Joyce

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Third Kingdom (Sword of Truth Book 13)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Severed Souls (Sword of Truth)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Phantom (Sword of Truth, #10)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The First Confessor: The Legend of Magda Searus (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Confessor (Sword of Truth, #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #6)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Naked Empire (Sword of Truth, #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Debt of Bones (Sword of Truth)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Warheart: Sword of Truth - The Conclusion (Richard and Kahlan)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Omen Machine (Richard and Kahlan, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chainfire (Sword of Truth, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Morris liked to share he books with others. Sometimes it was a favorite that everyone loved, and other times he found a lonely little volume whose tale was seldom told.

"Everyone's story matters," said Morris. And all the books agreed.”
15 likes
“Morris tried to keep the books in some sort of order, but they always mixed themselves up. The tragedies needed cheering up and would visit with the comedies. The encyclopedias, weary of facts, would relax with the comic books and fictions. All in all it was an agreeable jumble.” 5 likes