Start by marking “The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)

The Waste Lands

(The Dark Tower #3)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  180,388 ratings  ·  5,587 reviews
In the third novel in King's epic fantasy masterpiece, Roland, the Last Gunslinger, is moving ever closer to the Dark Tower, which haunts his dreams and nightmares. Pursued by the Ageless Stranger, he and his friends follow the perilous path to Lud, an urban wasteland. And crossing a desert of damnation in this macabre new world, revelations begin to unfold about who - and ...more
Published February 16th 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published August 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Waste Lands, please sign up.
Monica Mishra Just finished reading reading, started with the 4th one, 2nd one is my favorite so far.

·  180,388 ratings  ·  5,587 reviews

Start your review of The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
Jayson
(B) 74% | More than Satisfactory
Notes: Skirting back-story and mythology, it focuses too much on cliché genre retreads to be thought of as a serious fantasy.
Kemper
This book contains the biggest lie a writer ever told me. It‘s in the Author‘s Note at the end:

The fourth volume in the tale of the Dark Tower should appear - always assuming the continuation of Constant Writer’s life and Constant Reader’s interest - in the not-too-distant-future.

It took six years for the next book to come out.

Six. Goddamn. Years.

Six years may not seem too bad to fans of authors who only release a book every decade or so, but there’s a couple of factors that made this false sta
Luca Ambrosino
English (The Waste Lands) / Italiano

Happiness while watching the drawing of the metal plate found on the just killed bear, happiness that I feel for the unpredictable and the inexplicable. My personal journey into the world of "The Dark Tower" goes on, together with the gunslinger, Roland, escorted by Eddie and Susannah, the two tale gunners recruited in the previous chapter, The Drawing of the Three. However, there is still somebody to recruit for the company to be complete...

In the author's no

Mario the lone bookwolf
Rolands´ DIY tutorials, worsening causality problems, time paradoxes, and the first real, longer encounters with paranormal activities and monsters let one dive deeper into the marvelous madness.

Just as in the second part, The drawing of the three, King is using some elements of the real, alternative world, although the main parts play in fantasy terror land, where the lovely hero´s journey of mentally ill, severely injured and mutilated, and fresh cold turkeyed protagonists can continue.

This on
Stephen
Photobucket

DISCLAIMER: Many aspects of THE GUNSLINGER ACTION ADVENTURE EXPEDITION are comprised of potentially dangerous activities involving giant cyborgs, possessed buildings, demon rapists and extras from the cast of Deliverance, do you ken it. There is a risk of serious injury, being Roont or even Charyou Tree. Therefore GUNSLINGER KA-TETS WITH DINH ONLY. While training and remembering the face of your father can reduce the inherent risks, Ka is a wheel and they cannot be completely eliminated do
megs_bookrack
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In short, The Waste Lands blew my mind.

The incorporation of the riddles and the story of Blaine the Mono, I mean, who comes up with this stuff?

The King, that's who.

Stephen. Freaking. King.

What more can I say besides the fact that I loved this with my whole heart and soul?!

As you know if you are reading this, this is the third book in King's epic Dark Tower series. This book knocked The Drawing of Three out of the top spot for me.

It was that good! As the series continues to build, it's hard no
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3), Stephen King
The Waste Lands (subtitled "Redemption") is a fantasy novel by American writer Stephen King, the third book of The Dark Tower series. The original limited edition hardcover featuring full-color illustrations by Ned Dameron was published in 1991 by Grant. The book was reissued in 2003 to coincide with the publication of The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla. The story begins five weeks after the end of The Drawing of the Three. Roland, Susannah, a
Dan Schwent
After the events of the Drawing of the Three, Roland the Gunslinger has two people from our world along side him in his quest for the Dark Tower. However, he's also going mad because of a strange double set of memories in his head, memories of a boy he crossed the desert with...

The Waste Lands is probably my favorite Dark Tower book and epitomizes what I like about the series. It's got the lost technology, lots of action, more bits about Roland's world, and makes Roland's ka-tet complete. The st
Johann (jobis89)
“Ka was like a wheel, its one purpose to turn, and in the end it always came back to the place where it had started.”

The third book in the Dark Tower series finds Roland and his ka-tet following the Path of the Beam towards the tower. Along the way they’ll pick up two new members...

I was contemplating writing this review as an Ode to Oy, but words can’t even express how much I love that little billy-bumbler; he is the CUTEST. A particular highlight for me is when he calls Gasher “asshole” - SASS
Adina
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

I almost, almost, gave 5 stars to this one. I consider this volume to be the best out of the three that I’ve read so far. If the book had stopped midway it would have got the maximum recognition from me, no doubt. I love and hate King’s way of writing too much. He managed to keep me at the edge of my seat for 100 pages, hungry for more, promising my undying love and then, after the climax (the forth drawing), he slightly bores me for the next 100. Maybe the plot got too intense and he though
Jeff
Take the guesswork out of your next vacation!!

FORSPECIAL Travels and Tours presents:

Lud, the Jewel of the Send

Your Guided Mid-World adventure starts here!!

Charming Local Accommodations

- See the amazing, bumbling Shardik, Mid-World’s largest, comedic bear, searching for picnic baskets
- Glimpse (and maybe chat with) an elusive billy-bumbler
- Pick some devil grass. We won’t tell.
- Chat with the oldest people in Mid-World. Find out what their secret is to long life. (Hint: It’s not yogurt.)

Smal
Delee
Fabulous buddy-read with my Dark Tower Posse: Quick Draw Stepheny, Jumpin' Jeff, Calamity (slow poke) Bev, and last but not least- Bronco Bustin Black Jackin' Jason- The name stands PERVERTS!!!!

photo 490c9dce-d2ec-44fc-bf4c-ef605e944546_zpss7tcm3gx.jpg

Five weeks after The Drawing of the Three- Roland, Susannah, and Eddie are deep into the woods of The Out-World- where they encounter Shardik- a ginormous cyborg bear on his last legs.

photo e67d78fe-7e4c-47c5-b390-6685d2da112e_zpshu4mxdxs.jpg

After putting him out of his misery- they realize- they have to follow the path of the beam to The Mid-world...

....but fir
Lyn
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“April is the cruellest month”

Stephen King’s ambitious and challenging Dark Tower series continues with the third novel, The Waste Lands, first published in 1991.

I am reading this series very slowly. I read The Gunslinger in 2012, not really sure what I had read and why and not understanding what all the fuss was about. The second book, The Drawing of the Three, was more impressive and more complicated and though I liked it (after a three year gap after the first book) I was still unsure as to h
Markus
"Behold ye, the return of the White! After evil ways and evil days, the White comes again! Be of good heart and hold up your heads, for ye have lived to see the wheel of ka begin to turn once more!"

What a journey! From incomprehensibly horrible to absodamnlutely fantastic to okay.

This book was all over the place. Both literally and metaphorically.

The first half is more of what we’re given in The Drawing of the Three. That is... a painfully boring story about Roland leaving his wildly interes
Ms. Smartarse
The first two books painted an incredibly bleak picture of Roland's world. Said to have "moved on", just teeming with monsters, demons and the occasional unexpected horrifying incident.

As a passive observer, I could definitely see merit in learning more about it, but the highlight of each episode was by far the possibility of leaving it behind for the relative 'familiarity' of New York. Granted, I've only seen pictures of the city, but compared to the horror of fighting and eating lobstrosities
Algernon (Darth Anyan)

Some day if there’s time, I’ll tell you all the old stories ... the ones I know, at least. They form a large tapestry, one which is beautiful but very sad.

Some fine day ... but not today and not in this third installment of the Dark Tower series. For now, Roland and his friends are too busy doing nothing much for about six hundred pages. They travel, they fight the ocassional monster or deranged mob leader, the sit by the campfire and have some obscure nightmares and prophetic visions. All wra
Stepheny

The Waste Lands is the third installment in the Dark Tower series. I’ve been through this series so many times over the years I have lost count. But what has made this trip so important is all of the wonderful people I have gotten to take along the Path of the Beam. I would like to thank my posse for allowing me to hold their hands and guide them on this most epic of quests. Rootin’ Tootin Pistol Packin’ Delee, Jumpin’ Jeff , Calamity Bev and last but certainly not least, Bronco Bust
R.K. Gold
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual I have nothing but positive things to say about this book. Well, actually there is one negative and that's the ending. It was of course an incomplete work ending at a climax, however, since it's not 1991 anymore and I do not have to wait years for a new book to come out, I will not fault King for this. In fact, I will look at it as a positive, for I cannot wait to begin book 4.

Mid-world is continuing to grow, and the questions to its existence continue to be answered. It's funny, while
Will M.
The thing with this series is that it just gets better along the way.

This review might contain some spoilers? I'm not sure if some people would consider them as spoilers, so read at your own risk! You've been warned.

The most amazing thing about this book would be the fact that Jake fucking Chambers is back! If you've read my review of The Gunslinger (book 1) then you'd know how much I love that kid. We can be friends again King, that much I can say.
(view spoiler)
Apatt
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“Ka—the word you think of as ‘destiny,’ Eddie, although the actual meaning is much more complex and hard to define, as is almost always the case with words of the High Speech. And tet, which means a group of people with the same interests and goals. We three are a tet, for instance. Ka-tet is the place where many lives are joined by fate.”

This is the book where Roland’s ka-tet is fully formed*, with the addition of eleven years old Jake Chambers and Oy the billy-bumbler (a Mid-World species).

Ka
Char
Even though I'm not crazy about this narrator, Frank Muller, I ended up giving my audio re-read of this book an extra star.

All my old friends are together again: Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jack and even Oy. (I forgot how much I loved Oy and his golden eyes!) Even some of my old enemies are here, Gasher and Blane the Mono.

It's nice re-reading these via audio, even if I have to wait a few weeks in between books while waiting for the next audio book to come in to the library. This time I don't have
Emma
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars and I was frustrated enough with this volume in the continuing saga NOT to round up to 4. Steven King has a reputation for waffling, but this is the first time in the Dark Tower series, where I really felt the reader suffered because of it. I loved Oy the Bumbler.
Had I not been listening to this rather than simply reading it, I am not at all sure I would have finished it.
I consider myself very lucky not to have to wait the many years between the writing of this novel and the next in t
Lynn
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I loved this book. I love the connections between the characters' past lives and between Mid-World and Our When. I also felt a strong link to other Stephen King books: a mansion in Brooklyn comes to life and it was The Overlook all over again for me. The middle of the book (the mansion part) was the most amazing part of a completely amazing story. It could have just ended there for me emotionally, but it's all about the quest. So, onward to Lud which brings every nuked out NYC full of mutants an ...more
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, horror, sci-fi
This volume of the Dark Tower has aged like fine wine, fascinating me more than all the previous volumes with the inclusion of more and more ancient tech. The breaking down of knowledge, society, and sanity is the main thrill, seeing the high-tech descendants of a massive, glorious metropolis that has Moved On act like ignorant yokels.

Lud. *sigh*

But my personal huge, roaring favorite has got to be Shardik. What a guardian! Glorious! And with a thinking cap on, too! :)

But when it comes to charact
Ron
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, 2020, own, fantasy
* spoilers spoilers spoilers *

It is both difficult and easy to say just why this book, The Waste Lands, is even better than The Drawing of the Three. That’s no small feat to accomplish because The Drawing of the Three is a terrific book. But when I first questioned why I liked this one a little more, I couldn't explain the why of it even to myself. With thought though it became clearer. First off, it's a roller coaster ride of a story (much like the second book actually - picking up only a f
Trish
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tease! This is one hell of a cliffhanger ending. *lol*

Susannah, Eddie and Roland continue their journey, but along the way it becomes clear that there is another member of their Ka-tet that still needs to join them and that it will be slightly more difficult to unite them with him. I'm talking about (view spoiler).
Actually, who that member was, was not really a surprise and therefore it's not really a spoiler. I really liked that King continued to spin the thr
♛Tash
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
“And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust”
― T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land

Review to come.
Ashley Daviau
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly think this might just be my favourite book out of this series. I say might because I must admit, my memory of the books that follow IS quite vague. So I might end up loving them even more than this one.

But I somehow doubt it because this magnificent book reintroduces one of my favourite characters from the series, introduces another favourite character AND introduces my favourite "villain" from this series. I won't name any names because I don't want to spoil it for anyone!

I also th
Monty desai
[RE-READ]
THE DARK TOWER SERIES BOOK 3:

ROLAND AFTER SOLVING THE DRAWING OF THE THREE PUZZLE...FORMS HIS KA-TET.
KA-TET THEN FACE SHARDIK THE BEAR, ONE OF THE GUARDIANS OF ONE OF THE 12 BEAMS THAT HOLD THE DARK TOWER...(THEY ENTER MID-WORLD)
AFTER BATTLING HIM KA-TET FOLLOW THE SOUTHEAST DIRECTION OF THE BEAM. ON THEIR WAY THEY COME ACROSS A NEW DOOR "THE BOY"..WHO IS NO OTHER THEN OUR CUTE LITTLE JAKE WHO WAS LOST IN THE WAY STATION ..DYING THERE..THE REUNION OF HIM AND ROLAND WAS SO MINDBLOWING...
Cindy Newton
Stephen, really? Are you kidding me with that cliffhanger? I mean, SERIOUSLY--how could you? That's painful, right there. I weep not for myself--I'm sitting here in 2016, with the next book comfortably at hand. All I have to do is reach out and grab it, flip it open, and find out what happens to Roland and the rest of his ka-tet. I weep for those who have gone before me: those brave souls who purchased this book fresh from the presses, all crisp and new and inviting on the bookshelves; those Con ...more
Stephen King Fans: The Waste Lands Book 29 6 34 Aug 02, 2020 02:38PM
The Constantly Re...: The Wastelands 7 18 Apr 07, 2020 11:23AM
#RetoTorreOscura: La Torre Oscura III: Las Tierras Baldías 13 40 Jun 05, 2019 07:44AM
Reading with E.: Dark Tower Reread: THE WASTE LANDS 44 19 Oct 16, 2018 09:24PM
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 3 16 Nov 28, 2017 10:39AM
snowremovaltoronto: Landscaping: Choosing Your Plants 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 11:24PM
Review on The Waste Lands 1 12 Oct 23, 2017 01:00PM

• The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
  • The Regulators
  • The Long Walk
  • The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King - Summary & Study Guide
  • The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home
  • La Torre Oscura. El largo camino a casa, Volume 1
  • Blaze
  • Rage
  • The Body
  • Sword of Destiny (The Witcher, #0.75)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)