Start by marking “Twixt Firelight and Water (Sevenwaters, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Twixt Firelight and Water (Sevenwaters, #5.5)

Twixt Firelight and Water

(Sevenwaters #5.5)

Long ago, the sorceress Lady Oonagh cast a curse over her own child. Now a druid, an ill-tempered raven and an adventurous young woman are drawn together as the time approaches for the evil magic to be undone. Fans of the Sevenwaters series will love this new episode, which fleshes out the history of druid Ciaran and his constant companion Fiacha.
Published November 1st 2011 by Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Twixt Firelight and Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twixt Firelight and Water

Susana

As someone who loves the first four Sevenwaters stories, it pains me to say this, but these two short stories felt really subpar when compared to those novels.
I didn't feel anything reading this.
The writing felt wish-wash, completely deprived of that overflowing emotion that would keep me up almost all night reading, just so I could find out if the characters were going to make it or not.
And it's too bad, because Fiacha's story deserved so much more than what it got here.
Also, no woman would ag
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Sotiris Karaiskos
A nice short story that adds a few things to the story of Sevenwaters. We learn the story of one of the characters we do not pay much attention to, but it makes a significant contribution to the defeat of the enemies and we do a little exploration of a forgotten branch of our story. Of course somewhere there comes love and the puzzle is completed.

Ένα ωραίο διήγημα που προσθέτει μερικά πράγματα στην ιστορία της σειράς Sevenwaters. Μαθαίνουμε την ιστορία ενός από τους χαρακτήρες στον οποίο δεν δίν
Amanda
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lovely short story/novella that sheds light on a couple mysteries from the Sevenwaters series.
Vee
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-edition
A sweet companion story to answer all those questions I always had about Fiacha the raven. He and Ciaran are arguably two of my all time favorite characters in the Sevenwaters series, and I'm happy to have his history along with a suitable open future for him.
Other familiar characters are touched upon as well, so we have a bit of clarification on what happened to those who ventured away from Sevenwaters.
As merely a digital companion story, this does not have the depth or development I'm used t
Sandrus
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely little story! Now I know Fiacha's wonderous story and what happened to Padriac. :)
Kathy
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read/devoured the Sevenwaters Saga years and years ago before I was on Goodreads and this series remains on my all-time fav series’ shelf! So this was a nice little re-visit for me back to Sevenwaters. It provides a nice explanation on how Fiacha became a raven and links to Ciaran’s story. Written after book 5, I would recommend you read all this series in order and not read this as a stand alone. Juliet is an absolute treasure and I just love all her books and the worlds she takes me to.
Diane
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-adult
3.5 Stars

Short, bittersweet, and very Juliet. I’ve read all the Sevenwaters books and somehow missed that this one even existed. This is the story of Ciaran’s raven Fiache and also features one of Padriac’s offspring.
Darla
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ok! As far as I will EVER be concerned Juliet Marillier can never do wrong when she puts her imagination to paper! I finally got my paws on this Sevenwaters short, and I tell you, it was beyond worth the wait for me! I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!! I loved how it answered questions I really had, particularly "what did happen to Padriac after his sister's funeral and what is up with that darn raven?" Well this short answered both those questions for me! Did I mention that I loved it and the author for he ...more
Anna
Mar 19, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a novella in the Sevenwaters saga. It provides an explanation for Fiacha the raven's identity and links in to Ciaran and Padraic's story. It was written after book 5 but I read it after book 3 Child of the Prophecy. It feels more like a standalone tale than a spoiler for books 4 and 5. If you have not read the series, do not start here gt a sample chapter of Daughter of the Forest instead.

For fans of the series it is a nice little 'filler' however it suffers due to the nature of the narr
Oracleofdoom
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the story of Fiacha's background. It was incredibly poignant and brought to mind Juliet Marillier's older stories, that were so incredibly moving and tragic. I loved Conri immediately.

I did not feel as much care was taken with Aisha. I didn't really get a good feel for her as a character. I would have liked to, but there just wasn't enough there for a short story. I know because I'm told, rather than shown, that she is a formidable, strong woman. Exactly like pretty much every o
Lisa
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The writing, as usual, is beautiful and quite satisfying. I loved learning more about the backstory of certain sevenwater's characters. Marillier tied things together nicely.
However, being a short story, there was only so much time for events to unfold; and unfortunately I felt that the inevitable end was quite rushed and stretched my suspension of belief just a tad beyond it's limits. (I'll buy transfiguration and Fair Folk mischief, if that means anything) I'd love to see it fleshed out a bit
Melanie
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Considering Juliet Marillier is probably one of my favorite authors of all-time, I really enjoyed this shorter story. As with all of her books, her writing is brilliant and while I wished it had been full-length (what can I say, I love reading her books!), I thought the telling of Fiacha's story, tying in other characters from the extensive Sevenwaters family was very well-done. Because it was short, I felt like some elements of the story (don't want to give away the details) were a little rushe ...more
Sabrina
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent little addition to the world of Sevenwaters and it answered questions long left hanging since Son of the Shadows. I was pleasantly surprised to see the momentary return of a character that I thought long gone as well as the introduction of a new one I think I could come to adore. I only wish it was longer and fully developed. I want to know more about these new characters, I want to see them grow and (I hope) fall in love.

Hey. Hey, Juliet. Hint, hint?
Anna
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading the story of Fiacha. I was always curious about him. A few reviews have seemed overly critical of this story. Twixt firelight and water is not meant to be a life-changing, epic adventure. This lovely short story was meant to tie up loose ends and bring hope to the reader. I for one, will take any opportunity to wander again through the forests of Sevenwaters.
Jennykatz
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A short, entertaining tale. I love her gorgeous writing and I love the Sevenwaters family. Getting a glimpse of Padraic satisfied my continued curiosity about what the youngest brother had been up to all these years.
Carrie
May 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
This story takes me back to Daughter of the Forest. It's every bit as beautiful as the first Sevenwaters book(which will always be my favorite Sevenwaters).

I can't wait for her collection of short stories!
Carey
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Awh, what a sweet side story. It was so awesome to find out what happened to Padriac and what was up with Fiacha/Conri. I hope Conri & Aisha are in the last book. :) I would love to find out what happens. Wish this book was longer.
Eskay Wolfersperger
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
A short story really. I do not usually like short stories. But as part of Sevenwaters, this was a very interesting journey into a corner with the raven Fiacha and Padriac the youngest of the swan boys.
Ritta
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2018
Honestly, I only liked the first part of the short story. It was interesting and it hed light on a mysterious character in the Sevenwaters series I was curious about.

But the rest? It was completely unbelievable, even for a fantasy book. (view spoiler)
Mel Campbell
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this should have been longer. It was too short to really feel anything for the characters. I think Conri/Fiacha needed a longer tale, would have like to have seen him learn to love again, and not feel guilt for what happened. yes, it would be a long journey indeed but I think it would have had more of an impact than what we got unfortunately
D Lynn
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that answers questions

When I bought the novella, I thought it would be the story of Lady Oonagh. I am glad I was wrong. These stories were much better. I like how elements of the seven waters saga have been tied up.
Sirenecho
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweetly moving. It was well worth the time.

I read a less than glowing review of this before I purchased it, but since Mdm. Juliet has never let me down, I ignored it. I thought it was a lovely tale honoring what resonates with me of love and family. Well worth it.
Echo
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want more of Fischa! And if Conor’s still alive.... shouldn’t Fischa not be in the last book?
Dennis Petzke
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Helped fill in the blanks.

I am a big fan of this author. This book helped fill in the blanks between a couple of her other books. I enjoyed it.
Susan Wallace
A three-chapter novella that answers the question, "Whatever happened to Padraic?", and also reveals much about Fiacha.
Nadia Shobnam
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Could have been a bit more nuanced and detailed
Suzanne
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful tale. Juliet Marillier blends magic and reality so seamlessly. This makes me want to go back and re-read all the Sevenwaters books.
Sandy
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely finish

Great short novella. A story of love and loss and love again not to be missed and a wonderful ending to the series
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fantasy Book Club...: Twixt Firelight and Water (short story) 3 10 Jul 23, 2017 03:24PM
prickle moon 1 9 Jul 07, 2013 08:06PM

• Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • Song of the North (Dalriada, #3)
  • The Saint of Mt. Koya
  • Zombie Tales from Dead Worlds
  • Molly (The Frey Saga, #2.5)
  • The Importance of Being Emily (Bad Witch: The Emily Chronicles #0.5)
  • To Wed the Fae Prince
  • Raider's Curse (Jonmarc Vahanian Adventure #1)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Barely Alive (Barely Alive, #1)
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Like a Thief in the Night
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Foul Is Fair (Fair Folk Chronicles, #1)
  • Lucidity (The Raven Chronicles, #2)
  • Camelot's Blood (The Paths to Camelot, #4)
  • Mistress of Masks (Catalysts of Chaos #1)
  • Wonders of the Invisible World
Juliet Marillier was born in Dunedin, New Zealand and grew up surrounded by Celtic music and stories. Her own Celtic-Gaelic roots inspired her to write her first series, the Sevenwaters Trilogy. Juliet was educated at the University of Otago, where she majored in music and languages, graduating BA and Bachelor of Music (Hons). Her lifelong interest in history, folklore and mythology has had a majo ...more

Sevenwaters (6 books)
  • Daughter of the Forest  (Sevenwaters, #1)
  • Son of the Shadows (Sevenwaters, #2)
  • Child of the Prophecy (Sevenwaters, #3)
  • Heir to Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #4)
  • Seer of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #5)
  • Flame of Sevenwaters (Sevenwaters, #6)