Start by marking “Down Jasper Lane (Amherst Island Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Down Jasper Lane (Amherst Island Trilogy, #1)

Down Jasper Lane

(Amherst Island Trilogy #1)

In 1904 twelve year old Ellen Copley and her father leave the sooty rail yards of Glasgow for a new life in Vermont with her aunt and uncle. Yet within weeks of her arrival she is abandoned by her father, living with inhospitable relatives and unwelcome in town. Then her Aunt Rose invites her to stay with her boisterous family on Lake Ontario's Amherst Island, and Ellen be ...more
Published (first published April 30th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Down Jasper Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Jasper Lane

Sally Stackhouse
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book starts in 1901, Ellen and her father leave Scotland after the death of her mother to join her uncle and his wife in America to make a new life for themselves. Things are not quite what they hoped they would be. Ellen's father leaves her, to find work, in the care of his brother and his unemotional wife.

The decision is taken to send Ellen to another aunt in Amherst where she finds a family full of love who take her into their hearts, Ellen also falls in love with the island itself.

Elle
Karyl M. Wade
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life happens While We Think We Know What we're Doing!

It's hard to say why I loved this book, but I did. Ellen has so much potential but she misses out on love everywhere! Maybe she will return to Scotland?
Audrey
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get out the tissues

Wow! I’ve read several books by this author but this one was different, the story really came to life and I just couldn’t read it fast enough. This is by far the best she’s ever written, boy I just cried and cried. I can’t wait to read the next two books.
Robyn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like one has to read the next book. The ending is particularly unsatisfying. But i guess thats a sure way of making sure the next book sells well.
William
Aug 28, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining novel to a point; however, the dialogue was a bit superficial and the story was very predictable. The book would make a good young reader's novel. I was looking for a novel to be a little more substantive.
Mandy Helfer (Dubiansky)
I really enjoyed this book up until the end. I wasn't happy with that ending - left too much up in the air.
Aug 02, 2012 marked it as the-book-dump
Just wasn't working for me.
Heidi
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written story. A quick but enjoyable read.
Jessica Jackson
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed it, and I'm disappointed that the next book in the trilogy isn't ready yet.
C.
Helen Macken
Jul 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
also published under the name Kate Hewitt

After spending three years as a diehard New Yorker, Katharine Swartz now lives in the Lake District with her husband, an Anglican minister, their five children, and a Golden Retriever. She enjoys such novel things as long country walks and chatting with people in the street, and her children love the freedom of village life—although she often has to ring fo