Start by marking “The Seventeenth Pocket (Kerious Pye, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Seventeenth Pocket (Kerious Pye, #1)

The Seventeenth Pocket

(Kerious Pye #1)

The Seventeenth Pocket is the first of the "Kerious Pye" novels, written by Hargus Montgomery. Combining reality, fantasy, and science fiction, the series recounts the expeditions of an ancient Order of worldly Explorers.

Book One, The Seventeenth Pocket, follows Explorer Arden McGivven. The old voyager attracts the attention of scientists when he reveals the Order's secre
Published December 23rd 2010 by Kerious Pye Series LLC (first published November 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Seventeenth Pocket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seventeenth Pocket

☙ percy ❧
dnf at 17%.

[image error]

i did try to read more, i promise. but i just... couldn't. i'd probably erase this book from my shelves and kindle and forget it ever happened except i got it from netgalley so i should probably write some modicum of a review, or at least some of my thoughts.

i'm going to try not to be too harsh, but my gears were really grinding, so....

the writing wasn't compelling at all; extremely tell-not-show, and there was far too much overdescription going on that made my brain wan
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
This was an interesting read. I was introduced to Hargus Montgomery's work, by Reading Addiction Tours. Instantly, I was drawn to the very unique blurb, for his book. I liked the sound of it and am a huge fan of exploring the unknown.

I found the read interesting. It was truly a unique concept and was approached in a very good way. It had some exciting moments and often left me questioning what was coming next. I found that pulled me in to the read and kept me coming back.

The characters are cre
Gabrielle
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was incredible - really unique. It poses all of these possibilities that somehow even though I've never thought of, make perfect sense when the author puts them into words.

I'll never think of day to day life the same way again, and that goes for death as well.

This book asks : "what if 'crossing over' was really 'crossing BACK over'? And the answer is not only interesting, but entertaining and emotionally engaging.

Great characters, great ideas, great story. Can't wait to see if there
Jo
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Honestly had no idea what to expect and still have no idea how I feel about this. It’s a very interesting, beautiful, and different way of imagining what happens after death. I love the way religion, spirituality, and science was handled.

Diversity: +5
Race/Ethnicity: +2
Gender: +3 (Meg, Dr. Sarah Chase, Dr. Claire Barth, Deena Morgan)
Neurodiversity: +/-1 (Arden)

What I liked:
-I loved the intersection of religion and science. Figuring out what happens to the brain and the spirit after death is one
Jill Elizabeth
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
---------------
"The time for a question is when you think of it. There are receptors in the brain that are only active when you think of the question. If you don't ask it, you lose the opportunity to change your brain, literally."
---------------
"The tears were doing their work, attempting to wash the greatest lie carried from the matterlands, the lie that had brought more pain and destruction to matterlanders than any other, the lie of death."

This was an extraordinary book - and I
Jessica Bronder
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
What happens to us when we die? What if you could still talk to the person that has passed? What would happen if scientist found a way to do so? Arden McGivven is a traveler sent to the earth world. Scientists have discovered his ability to talk to the dead and want to figure out how to break the code to do so. But what will happen to our world if this is done. Our only hope is a terminally ill girl.

This is a great story. Arden McGivven is a great character that has a heart of gold yet the key t
Amy
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to describe where do I start...when you die is there more out there or are you just gone?What if you could still talk to the love ones you lost?What if the parts of your brain you don t use are the key to doing that?What if all the doctors and powerful people in the world were trying to break that code first for the power and money that would come with that knowledge?What happens if the code is broken? Now that being said the book isn t written in a dark way its more sci-fi you ...more
Aliya DalRae
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, fantasy
The Seventeeth Pocket was an amazing story about an explorer, Arden McGivven, who is from the other side on expedition to the earth world. His safety and that of the entire world are endangered when doctors and scientists discover his ability to communicate with the other side - with the dearly departed. One terminally ill girl is the only hope for a world that is about to blow itself up.

I wish I could give half stars, as I really, really enjoyed this book, but there were quite a few instances w
Kayla Eklund
*Note: This is my husband, Seth's, review as he is helping me with my gigantic review pile*

What can I say about this book? I was pleasantly surprised. I did not expect to be pulled into the story of the book the way that I was. I mean, at first it was a little on the slow side but once the main characters second life began the book threw me for a loop and I was hooked. I generally don’t go into too many details when writing reviews as to not spoil the story for people. If you want a synopsis on
Schwana
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
This book turned into one of my favorites right away. I loved the characters, but my two favorite ones are Arden and Megan. Arden McGiven is a character who touched me with his gentle way and straight forward attitude. It is hard to find characters that stay true throughout the story and with all the temptations that are offered all through the story it was nice to see him stay so strong.

I was happy to read that the character, Megan, came back to assist Arden - even though the "individuals" of
Crystal Hutchinson
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This was a really fun book. It starts with a Michael Crichton feel; where the world is searching for the "code" and once some scientist breaks the code, it will change the world. Arden is an excellent character that cannot lie and has no ego. It's really hard to describe someone like that, but Montgomery did a great job writing with perfect clarity. The Seventeenth Pocket seamlessly slips into a fantasy/sci fi novel. The chapters bounce around from the point of view of each character (which I lo ...more
Kyla Gergely
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is so involved. You think you are going to be reading one thing, but it is not what you thought it would be. It takes you on a ride to see where you may end up when you leave this world. It makes you think, and when you are done with the book you will never look at life the same way again.
Hannah
Nov 29, 2011
Laura Pritchard
Nov 30, 2011

Kerious Pye (2 books)
  • The Bureau of Dangerous Matter (Kerious Pye, #2)