Start by marking “Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works” as Want to Read:
Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Read Book

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  10,420 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We’re building more products than ever before, but most of them fail—not because we can’t complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That’s the p
Published March 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Lean, please sign up.
Hamzah Kattan There's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and…moreThere's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and procedural, many view that as a con but I find it to be its main strength. It's all about its details, go for it.(less)

Rob
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, business
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I fig
Sudnya
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*notes to self*
>> Why are start ups hard?
Because the product market fit takes multiple iterations. Most learning happens after the product is released, so get to that point soon.
Know HOW to listen to customers, not just what they say. Customers might not know what they need, but there will be a recurring theme of pain points. Don't Pitch in customer interviews, listen.

Iterate enough on the idea and product before running out of resources (not just $$, but time!)
Get out of the building fo
Mya
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl ...more
Oday Zaher
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recommend reading the following books before jumping on this one:
-The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
-Business Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
-Value Proposition Design by Alan Smith, Alexander Osterwalder, Gregory Bernarda, Trish Papadakos, and Yves Pigneur.

This will create a wider range of understanding of what the Lean Startup is all about. I also recommend jumping on Ash's new book: Scaling Lean as it is a continuation of this book (In terms of scaling the Business)
m ko
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki
Александр Федотов
Интересная книга, соединяющая на практике customer development и lean мышление.
Подтвердила мои выводы о том, что чем больше ты говоришь с клиентами тем меньше рисков сделать что то не то, что хочет рынок(кеп).

Я так и не смог прочитать 4steps to ephihany, но это хороший пример рабочей методологии для интернет проектов
Alena
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
Nejzajímavější nápady jsou hned na začátku knihy, potom už mi toho moc nedala. Druhá nejpřínosnější část byl konec – paradoxně appendix.
Každopádně bych tuto knihu upřednostnila tištěnou – lean canvas si prostě bez obrázku jen těžko představím (v praxi).
Audio zpracování vůbec není špatné – rozhodně mezi naučnými knihami jedno z nejlepších! Co mi však mírně vadilo, byla těžkopádná výslovnost angličtiny.
Lindsay Nixon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This is possibly the best "business" book I've read and the single page business plan is brilliant. If you're thinking about starting a business or have a business that you want to improve, this is a terrific book.
Jurgen Appelo
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _startups
Deep dive into lean strategy and lean experiments. Great book.
Jay Weeldreyer
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: startups
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered
Louis
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id
George Wang
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a
Ahmad hosseini
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: management, web
What is running lean?
It is a systematic process for iterating from plan A to a plan that works, before running out of resources.
The essence of running lean can be distilled into three steps:
1. Document your plan by Lean canvas
2. Identify the riskiest part of your plan by researching, interviewing, MVP and etc.
3. Systematically test your plan by iterating

This book is for managers, developers and entrepreneurs, and all those who plan to start their own IT business. In that, the author shares his
Maciej Mróz
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a worthy follow up to "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries. Instead of focusing on the principles of lean startup (which original book did extremely well), "Running Lean" is presenting exact recipes on how to specify, validate, develop and introduce new product to market. While this knowledge obviously applies to startups, I think this way of doing things applies to any product where uncertainty is very high. For this reason, I'd recommend this book not only to people who want to start their ...more
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Sakis Triantafyllakis
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very clear examples and ways to track your progress and optimise all procedures in your company/startup. Attention to detail is vital in the business world and this book proves it!
Bülent Duagi
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Mark Harnett
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Running Lean is very well thought out.. .and tested! It talks through the thought process for creating a business.

Having worked at one of the early companies to follow what became the "Lean" process: "IMVU" it is very interesting to see the development and refinement of many of the concepts.

Some of the key points that changed my mind and surprised me were:
1) Start by charging a price: If you don't charge a price up front, you will get a lot of users who sign up, and use the product, but are neve
Angela Lam
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, People handling business/product development
If you loved "Lean Startup" and the idea of bootstrapping, but don't know how to apply it in real-life, this is for you.
This book really helps to break it down into a step-by-step process where you can validate your business assumptions before you sink in tons of time and resources building something that doesn't sell.... wish I read it years ago!

Basically, the Running Lean process involves 3 parts
• Document your initial plan in 1 page (using the Lean Canvas);
• Identify the riskiest parts of the
Hugh Mason
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Throughout the 20th century, technology amazed us. Faced with so many new possibilities we learned to ask the question 'Could it be done?' and, typically, well-resourced large company R&D departments toiled for years and often they showed us that the answer was yes. But quite often they also created products that failed because they didnt fulfil a real need, despite having burned up millions of dollars and years of effort by talented people.

Now, in the 21st century, many of us have learned t
Ummat
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is both interesting to read and give you a lot of tool for running a startup. I do not think reading the book from start to finish is the best way since there are so many tips and tricks that you need to think about and reflect upon and that you can apply to your startup. You need to be an active reader while reading the book otherwise it is just waste of time and you are reading the wrong category of books.

I liked the style of his writing and that we could follow the startup "Cloud fir
Jason Soden
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Read Running Lean to learn about the Lean Startup methodology and the Build-Measure-Learn loop. This book shouldn't be taken as gospel and there's some danger to things like pivoting. It's difficult to determine what "minimum" and "viable" mean. This book and Lean Startup movement teach you to experiment and fail fast. Failing fast isn't always the right way. You need to fight through the struggle to make your business work. The scientific method is important to identify what works at a micro le ...more
Mugizi Rwebangira
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This is basically a very good, very practical guide to doing the "lean startup" methodology.

Some of the other books talk a lot more on the theory and motivating WHY you should do a lean startup, this book focuses much more on the practical nuts and bolts of HOW EXACTLY you do it.

I liked how he explained that he applied the lean startup concept even to the WRITING of this book!

Talk about eating your own dog food! :-)

To summarize:
(1) TALK RELENTLESS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS
(2) ITERATE ITERATE ITERATE
Johnny Graber
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gekauft
A good addition to the ideas from The Lean Startup. It continues where Eric Ries ended and adds a lot of ideas to validate your startup. The lean canvas is one of those ideas and can help you to identify the parts you should validate first. His examples show in detail what you can do and how to get useful feedback.
Dushan Hanuska
Sep 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, well-written book that is easy to read. If you operate in a start-up environment, do not read this book. STUDY it. Every chapter was full of inspiration and advice that I wish I had acquired already, but it's never too late to learn and improve. I will keep it on a shelf next to me and use it frequently as a reference.
David Dikman
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant followup to Lean Startup

Lean Startup is a great first read outlining this approach to doing startups. Running Lean is instead the practical recipe to the theory giving very hands on advice on how to run your business. It is definitely more aligned to software and especially SaaS products but still worth a read.
Andrew Ziegler
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this is a great book and an earnest system for start-ups. A lot of big, established companies try to steal and repackage this program, but it is best suited for those people trying to solve a specific problem. Highly recommend.
Adrian
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you read one book on entrepreneurship, let this be it. It summarizes a lot of the "best" ideas in entrepreneurship (Steve Blank, Eric Ries, Sean Ellis, etc.) and gives you a very practical guide to getting started.
Cuong
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-book
Worth to read.
Save 10 years from your business life.
Georg Lehner
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read, refreshing insights.
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 25 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • The Founder's Dilemmas: Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Startup Communities: Building an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Your City
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Do More Faster: Techstars Lessons to Accelerate Your Startup
  • Inspired: How To Create Products Customers Love
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers
  • Seizing the White Space: Growth and Renewal Through Business Model Innovation
  • Startup CEO: How to Build a Company to Success

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these
“Life's too short to build something nobody wants.” 8 likes
“Customers don’t care about your solution. They care about their problems. —Dave McClure, 500 Startups” 5 likes