Start by marking “Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works” as Want to Read:
Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

Read Book

Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works

We live in an age of unparalleled opportunity for innovation. We’re building more products than ever before, but most of them fail—not because we can’t complete what we set out to build, but because we waste time, money, and effort building the wrong product.

What we need is a systematic process for quickly vetting product ideas and raising our odds of success. That’s the p
Published March 6th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Running Lean, please sign up.
Hamzah Kattan There's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and…moreThere's perhaps just a couple of illustrations, a quick look at the author's blog will reveal the big picture immediately. This book is methodical and procedural, many view that as a con but I find it to be its main strength. It's all about its details, go for it.(less)

Start your review of Running Lean: Iterate from Plan A to a Plan That Works
Sudnya
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
*notes to self*
>> Why are start ups hard?
Because the product market fit takes multiple iterations. Most learning happens after the product is released, so get to that point soon.
Know HOW to listen to customers, not just what they say. Customers might not know what they need, but there will be a recurring theme of pain points. Don't Pitch in customer interviews, listen.

Iterate enough on the idea and product before running out of resources (not just $$, but time!)
Get out of the building for Cust
Rob
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, business
Ash Maurya describes his book as follows:

Running Lean is a handbook for practicing entrepreneurs who want to increase their odds of success.

Which, for me, was originally off-putting. Why? When I was reading the blurb, I focused in on the words innovate and iterate and blocked out venture and bootstrapping. I came at this book as an engineer, not as an entrepreneur. And my initial enthusiasm quickly waned: is this going to be one of those self-important business books? But pretty quickly, I fig
Mya
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
If you've read "The Lean Start-up" and were left wondering "that's cool, but HOW", then this is the book for you. Written using a Lean Start-up approach over a period of two years, this is a quick and easy read with some awesome examples and case studies. The book provides basic tools (to the level of templates for conversations) on (1) how to ensure you're actually solving a problem that people need solved and (2) that the solution you propose is something that solves the problem and that peopl ...more
Oday Zaher
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
I recommend reading the following books before jumping on this one:
-The Lean Startup by Eric Ries
-Business Model Generation by Alexander Osterwalder and Yves Pigneur
-Value Proposition Design by Alan Smith, Alexander Osterwalder, Gregory Bernarda, Trish Papadakos, and Yves Pigneur.

This will create a wider range of understanding of what the Lean Startup is all about. I also recommend jumping on Ash's new book: Scaling Lean as it is a continuation of this book (In terms of scaling the Business)
Mahmoud Ghoz
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book is amazing. You should read lean start up by Eric Ries. This will help you a lot. The book is informative and useful. Highly recommend.
Petar Ivanov
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great handbook for entrepreneurs with a lot of practical ideas and tools, tips & tricks and a lot more. I would say it's a must-read if you are currently working on an idea and/or trying to get to the point of a Product/Market Fit. I would also suggest reading The Lean Startup by Eric Ries first and then jumping on this book because it's more practice-oriented. This book reminded me of the concepts mentioned in the former book.
To be honest, I was expecting more ideas, suggestions and some kind
Jay Weeldreyer
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: startups
If you're an internet entrepreneur, this is a book that should be found in your bag or on your desk, dog-eared and well worn. When they introduced the idea of a "Lean Startup," Eric Ries and Steve Blank challenged entrepreneurs and investors everywhere with a new Grand Theory about how startups work, what they do, and how they can be more successful. But there was little indication of how to translate those ideas into workable, real-world scenarios.

Running Lean is the first book I've encountered
Florin Roșoga
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any startup owner or founder.
m ko
Mar 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Every startup has it’s good and bad days. Question is, what to do, when you find that your initial idea is not quite as good as you expected it to be.

Ash tries to answer this question by providing clean path to the success. By describing various aspects of running project he will show you issues that are particularly worth addressing. I have to admit that Ash provides you with lots of valuable information regarding issues you will probably encounter during project.

Generally, problem with this ki
Lindsay Nixon
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is possibly the best "business" book I've read and the single page business plan is brilliant. If you're thinking about starting a business or have a business that you want to improve, this is a terrific book.
Quinten Vandermeulen
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: product
Great book, but hardly any new stuff if you have already read the Lean Startup and Hacking Growth. I still give it 4 stars because it's a great refresher and Maurya deserves the credit for writing this book in 2011, when the Lean movement was still pretty young.

I'd advise it especially to first time entrepreneurs and people new to product management. It's the ideal playbook to experiment with the Lean principles directly on your own product. The practical, real-life examples make this book stand
Jurgen Appelo
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: _startups
Deep dive into lean strategy and lean experiments. Great book.
Omar El-mohri
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, printed-copy
A great read, it’s full of ideas and real life practice on how to start, many books are about the phase after that, this one is really about the point zero. And the exemple give it more excitement
Louis
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a book on starting a new enterprise, which actually does not necessarily have to be a formal startup. I can see its lessons in my current role as a professor, who is not in the standard tenure track. In many ways, because I have to be regularly answering the question of what my position is it sometimes falls into this. This book is helping me frame how I present myself and propose new projects, in particular trying to establish a long-term stable position for myself.

In particular, the id
George Wang
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended by Henri Shi from his VeloCity Campus "Lean Business Model" workshop.

I would label this book as a MUST READ for anyone trying to create a start-up or get started on a project.

The original "Lean Startup" book by Eric Ries introduces the theories behind the Lean Methodologies. It's interesting, but it leaves you not knowing exactly where to start.

This book, in contrast, is very detailed and practical. It shifts away from "what to think," towards "what to do."

Examples:

How to fill out a
Ahmad hosseini
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: web, management
What is running lean?
It is a systematic process for iterating from plan A to a plan that works, before running out of resources.
The essence of running lean can be distilled into three steps:
1. Document your plan by Lean canvas
2. Identify the riskiest part of your plan by researching, interviewing, MVP and etc.
3. Systematically test your plan by iterating

This book is for managers, developers and entrepreneurs, and all those who plan to start their own IT business. In that, the author shares his
Amr
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good book is a one that you read once and highlight several quotes from it to keep them for later reference , while a great book like this one is where your read it at least twice, refer to it from time to time while applying each advice in it, and you get to stop quoting from it as you'll find yourself at then end referencing the whole book after a lot of hesitation about which part deserves quoting more than the other.

I've just finished the first round of reading it and returned back to its
Maciej Mróz
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a worthy follow up to "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries. Instead of focusing on the principles of lean startup (which original book did extremely well), "Running Lean" is presenting exact recipes on how to specify, validate, develop and introduce new product to market. While this knowledge obviously applies to startups, I think this way of doing things applies to any product where uncertainty is very high. For this reason, I'd recommend this book not only to people who want to start their ...more
Erik
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you plan on founding your first start up and you could only read one book, you would be well served to pick Running Lean. More practically oriented the Eric Ries' The Lean Startup, it contains enough theory to help you understand why his practices work. A true handbook on how get right the hardest parts of starting up your company. The clear directions and advice left me feeling like I really could use lean practices if I ever found myself in a technology start-up.
Sakis Triantafyllakis
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very clear examples and ways to track your progress and optimise all procedures in your company/startup. Attention to detail is vital in the business world and this book proves it!
Bülent Duagi
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Practical examples for applying lean startup principles
Mark
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Running Lean is very well thought out.. .and tested! It talks through the thought process for creating a business.

Having worked at one of the early companies to follow what became the "Lean" process: "IMVU" it is very interesting to see the development and refinement of many of the concepts.

Some of the key points that changed my mind and surprised me were:
1) Start by charging a price: If you don't charge a price up front, you will get a lot of users who sign up, and use the product, but are neve
Angela Lam
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, People handling business/product development
If you loved "Lean Startup" and the idea of bootstrapping, but don't know how to apply it in real-life, this is for you.
This book really helps to break it down into a step-by-step process where you can validate your business assumptions before you sink in tons of time and resources building something that doesn't sell.... wish I read it years ago!

Basically, the Running Lean process involves 3 parts
• Document your initial plan in 1 page (using the Lean Canvas);
• Identify the riskiest parts of the
Hugh Mason
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entrepreneurship
Throughout the 20th century, technology amazed us. Faced with so many new possibilities we learned to ask the question 'Could it be done?' and, typically, well-resourced large company R&D departments toiled for years and often they showed us that the answer was yes. But quite often they also created products that failed because they didnt fulfil a real need, despite having burned up millions of dollars and years of effort by talented people.

Now, in the 21st century, many of us have learned to as
Jeff Mousty
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-work
I liked this book, but would recommend reading "The Lean Startup" first since its a book created off implementing that model. I think it does a very good job walking you through the "lean canvas" methodology to determine if you have a problem worth solving and what your unique value proposition (UVP) is.

This book brought two things to mind over and over for me internally: keep breaking the problem and/or work down smaller and are you truly solving for a single customer segment and is it the rig
Ummat
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book is both interesting to read and give you a lot of tool for running a startup. I do not think reading the book from start to finish is the best way since there are so many tips and tricks that you need to think about and reflect upon and that you can apply to your startup. You need to be an active reader while reading the book otherwise it is just waste of time and you are reading the wrong category of books.

I liked the style of his writing and that we could follow the startup "Cloud fir
David Carpinteiro
Sep 14, 2020 rated it liked it
I've probably red this book with the wrong idea in mind. My purpose was to learn Lean as a methodology for project management and if this is what you have in mind this would be the wrong book for you.
If instead you have an idea for a product and you don't know where to start or if you should start or you already did some training's on entrepreneurship and you feel that something else is missing then, this is definitely the right book.
Found all the theory very straight forward, with very clean an
Denny Yusuf
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I think this is the best book about A to Z on how to build a startup. While reading The Lean Startup by Eric Ries, even until now, I don't know how to implement many things that described there.

The Lean Startup, in my opinion, generally don't have many implementable steps that are contextual to one's strive in building a startup from scratch. In contrast, Running Lean explained it with implementable actions and really suited for my current context and situation, ranging from validati
Robert
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: financeinvesting
This is basically a very good, very practical guide to doing the "lean startup" methodology.

Some of the other books talk a lot more on the theory and motivating WHY you should do a lean startup, this book focuses much more on the practical nuts and bolts of HOW EXACTLY you do it.

I liked how he explained that he applied the lean startup concept even to the WRITING of this book!

Talk about eating your own dog food! :-)

To summarize:
(1) TALK RELENTLESS TO YOUR CUSTOMERS
(2) ITERATE ITERATE ITERATE
David Dikman
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant followup to Lean Startup

Lean Startup is a great first read outlining this approach to doing startups. Running Lean is instead the practical recipe to the theory giving very hands on advice on how to run your business. It is definitely more aligned to software and especially SaaS products but still worth a read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Little help with a cleanup 3 25 Nov 15, 2013 01:42PM

• The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • Business Model Generation
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Founders at Work: Stories of Startups' Early Days
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Reality Check: The Irreverent Guide to Outsmarting, Outmanaging, and Outmarketing Your Competition
  • UX for Lean Startups
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • The Art of Innovation: Lessons in Creativity from IDEO, America's Leading Design Firm
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • User Stories Applied: For Agile Software Development
  • The Startup Owner's Manual: The Step-By-Step Guide for Building a Great Company
  • Venture Deals
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A cheat sheet to The Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
"Life's too short to build something nobody wants."

I have been an entrepreneur for more than a decade, and throughout that time I have been in search of a better, faster way for building successful products.

Then I ran into early works on Customer Development and Lean Startup pioneered by Steve Blank and Eric Ries. I joined in on the conversation and have been rigorously applying and testing these