Start by marking “Afrika” as Want to Read:
Afrika

Afrika

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Dario Ferrer acts as guardian of a Tanzanian wildlife preserve. Accompanied by Charlotte, a naive European journalist, Ferrer discovers a village under fire from mysterious agents of the foreign-backed government. Ferrer and Charlotte must fight not only to protect the preserve, but to expose government corruption.
Published March 13th 2012 by Dark Horse Comics (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Afrika, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afrika

Negativni
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Od Hermanna sam davno čitao nešto Comanchea, kojeg se uopće ne sjećam i Jeremiaha dvaput, a nedavno sam u knjižnici vidio da je nacrtao i hrpu kratkih samostalnih albuma. Afrika mi se činila najzanimljivijim pa sam krenuo s njim. I ostao sam poprilično razočaran.

Predivana paleta boja i Hermannov prepoznatljivi crtež lijepo dočaravaju Afriku, ali sama priča je puna klišeja i nije mi bila nimalo zanimljiva.

Glavni lik je emocijonalno uskraćeni idealist koji bi trebao biti pozitivac, ali tu je pon
Anna
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

Art Work: I found the art work in this comic incredibly beautiful. The medium used appears to be watercolour and the colours really evoke a sense of Africa; earthy and neutral and yet also bright and sensual. The animals are really captured beautifully too; the bulls haunches are shining in the sun and the tiger looks as though it is stepping out of the page. I really loved looking at the images whilst I was reading as they really added depth to the narrative.

I really enjoyed this little comic.
Elia
Mar 29, 2012 rated it liked it
SPOILERS AHEAD!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT THE ENDING RUINED!!!!

A beautifully illustrated Graphic Novel that left me feeling like something was lost in translation. I have to wonder if I would have understood it, and therefore enjoyed it more had I been able to read it in its original language (the story was originally published in Belgium, and this is its first English presentation.)
Maybe I am just not familiar enough with African politics to really get the message the story was trying to
Hugo
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Dario Ferrer, el heroe en Afrika, es una especie de anti-heroe muy usado en las historias de Hermann, con un oscuro secreto, capaz de acabar con amenazas externas y como guardian de la estepa africana y sus animales por los cuales siente un gran amor. El esta casado con una mujer local, que es constamente buscada por un vecino, que quiere que deje a Dario. El giro que da su vida es al conocer a Charlotte, una periodista que por ganar una nota, se meten en un problema con el gobierno local, que e ...more
Terry
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art, engaging storyline. Seemed a bit rushed, and more time could have been spent for character development. In the end, maybe unintentionally shows how the "land" can become beholden to the whims of men perpetually, protagonist included. Everyone gets what they want from "Africa."
Lakis Fourouklas
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hermann is a widely acclaimed author and illustrator of graphic novels from Belgium.

In Afrika he tells us the story of Dario Ferrer who lives and works in a wildlife reserve in Tanzania.

At the moment Dario is pretty angry because he’s just lost a rhino, and to make things even worse, an uninvited guest arrives; a young and kind of naïve journalist called Charlotte, who’s been sent there by a common acquaintance, Yan Lefort.

Right from the start Dario feels enraged by this woman who seems to think
David Wardrop
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
"Where do you think you are lady? Are you afraid of scaring your big pretty, green eyes? You should have stayed on your sofa watching TV. You're on the ground, where everything takes place! No room for comedy. I protect my animals. This is Africa! Africa! What really makes Afrika is the artwork, a lot of love and detail has been put into the illustrations of the landscape and wildlife of Africa.
Kimberly
If you've been reading my blog for awhile you'll know that I love books about Africa fiction or non-fiction I read a lot of stuff about the continent (I want to live there one day). So when I saw that this graphic novel (I love graphic novels thanks to Mr.Turning The Pages!) was available for review on NetGalley I HAD to have it. Lucky for me they accepted my request.

Once I first opened the Galley on e-pub I was blown away by the art work. It's superbly illustrated by a true master of sequential
Albert Yates
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'm not exactly sure when or where I stumbled across this little gem but I'm glad that I did. What happens when you take a psychological thriller, toss it in to the middle of an African national park, and combine that with the political turmoil that we've heard so often coming from this great continent?

Afrika tracks the life of Dario Ferrer as he watches over a Tanazian national park and protects the animals from poachers. One day a photojournalist arrives on his door step from his past and he
Lorraine M. Thompson
If I were rating this work on only the artwork I would have given it 6 stars...that is how much I appreciated the talent of the artist. However, the storyline is muddled, and suffers from "white man savior complex (in this case defender of nature)". I realize that some of the problems with the writing might simply be due to a case of bad translating.
P.
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
the watercolors are nice... I'm not personally a huge fan of political thrillers or chronicles of idealistically obsessed but emotionally-stunted men. But, it is what it is.

Of course, if they remade this as a limited tv "event" starring Bear Grylls, I'd probably watch it.
John
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated, but with a wooden translation that sucks out some of its power.
Rita Marques
Apr 03, 2012
Ian Stewart
Aug 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Hermann was born in 1938 in Bévercé (now a part of Malmedy) in Liège Province. After studying to become a furniture maker and working as interior architect, Hermann made his debut as comic book artist in 1964 in the comics magazine Spirou with a four page story. Greg noticed his talent and offered him to work for his studio. In 1966, he began illustrating the Bernard Prince series written by Greg, ...more
More about Hermann Huppen...