Start by marking “Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17)” as Want to Read:
Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum, #17)

Smokin' Seventeen (Stephanie Plum #17)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  65,232 Ratings  ·  4,871 Reviews
Where there s smoke there s fire, and no one knows this better than New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum.
Dead bodies are showing up in shallow graves on the empty construction lot of Vincent Plum Bail Bonds. No one is sure who the killer is, or why the victims have been offed, but what is clear is that Stephanie s name is on the killer s list.
Short on time to find
Audio CD, Unabridged, 6 pages
Published March 2011 by Books on Tape

To ask other readers questions about Smokin' Seventeen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smokin' Seventeen

Mrs. Badass
Jun 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Posted at Badass Book reviews
You don't know me. I'm a fan of your work, have been for years. I have gotten many friends and family hooked on Stephanie, Joe, Ranger and Lula. I had every one of your books. I love your work with Charlotte Hughes and the Full Series. I have laughed and teared up, I have giggled and gasped for years, but it's time I stand up and shout.

Your last three Stephanie Plum Novels have left me feeling cheated. With each new installment I hope for more. But I get the same ol
James
Stephanie Plum certainly has a lot of people in her life who want to tell her what to do. I'm not sure I'd handle it as well as she does... and she doesn't always handle it well. But that's why we all love her. Two key things about this particular book:

1. Dead bodies keep popping up. A detective's dream... I mean, yeah, it's bad for the person who was killed, but at least Stephanie is making some money off it, right? (I'm totally joking... she doesn't get paid enough to deal with it).

2. The rela
Heather Book Savvy Babe
Steph better pick a guy already….this series has been dragging the last couple of books, we need to pick a direction and move forward….

Alrighty, the review is up! You can also find this review, and see if I’m team Ranger or team Morelli on my blog @ http://booksavvybabe.com

In Smokin’ Seventeen, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is back in action. With not-so-trusty sidekick Lula at her side, Stephanie is on the hunt for skips, trying to decide between two men, fending off her mother’s matchmaking at
TJ
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do I keep torturing myself with these books? Probably because I so loved them up until #14 and I'm an eternal optimist, hoping something will actually happen! The cover blurb was so promising on this installment, I actually allowed myself to get my hopes up.

Word of warning to those of you who would like to see things go somewhere between Stephanie and Ranger or Morelli - DON'T!! This time around, she has sex with both but that's it... wham bam, thank you ma'm skim overs then off to work, NO
Marissa
Dear God, seriously? Another guy for Steph?
I think I want to change my pick from Steph & Morelli to Morelli & Ranger. Yum!
Jilly
So, this series has held us in love-triangle hell for 17 books now. Imagine my glee when Stephanie finally starts having sex with the guy whose team I have been on the whole time! (Go Team Ranger)

But, there is a slight problem with Stephanie having sex with Ranger - which, again, I love! That is that she is also having sex with Morelli. And, she is trying to hide it from Morelli. And, she says that she would freak out if she found out that Morelli was even dating another woman.

Moral dilemmas ev
Crowinator
This is one of those series that I keep reading despite acknowledging that they aren't that good anymore and haven't been for a while. The last one I truly liked was number 11 (my favorite of them all). But I still love the characters so much that I can't help it, and I keep hoping that the series will return to its former glory. You know, with actually decent mysteries and character development. If this is anything like the last five, though, it will take me only a few hours to read, make me la ...more
Alyssa Ricks
OK, so those of us who like Ranger will like this one a little better, but I still feel like we're being strung along. I don't dislike Joe and if she's going to be with him then fine, but please stop with the flip-flopping and guilt. Evanovich needs to take some lessons from Ward, KMM or even Roberts and give us a little more detail, especially with Ranger. I mean, come on. Also, her characters still talk the same way they did at the beginning of the series - it's not the 90s and it's time to up ...more
Anna
Jun 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I loved this book! Ranger was in it a lot, Morelli was being ok, there was a new guy, an ok plot, lots of funny Lula, and some Grandma Mazur. Cars were lost and I found myself laughing out loud during some parts. What more could you want??

Edit: After reading some other reviews I think I must be in the minority in that I don't want Stephanie to make a choice between her guys. I like them both and this is escapism. I don't need lots of character development with this series. I like it the way it i
Ron Arden
I think Janet Evanovich is becoming much too formulaic in these books. This one starts out with Lula and Stephanie in the usual mix of eating, complaining and trying to make a living at Vinnie's Bail Bonds. The first 3rd of the book is really boring and focuses too much on Lula. I liked these books better when Lula was there as any minor character in Stephanie's life. She has become too much of a focus and really drags the story down.

Once Morelli and Ranger enter this story, it finally starts to
MBP
Yes, I know I swore off this series after Sixteen... hope springs eternal?
Elle ✦ Pretty Little Books ✦
I love this series. It never get's old for me. And I will read every single one as long as they are published. With that, this is another FANTASTIC novel in the Stephanie Plum series and I highly recommend it.
Amanda Patterson
Life in Trenton continues for Stephanie Plum, the world’s worst bounty hunter. The writing is as good as ever. The wonderful characters are back.
But Stephanie’s ‘love’ for two men has been going on for too long. It’s enough. At 30-something and still acting like a spoilt teenager, Stephanie’s act is wearing thin. I wanted to jump into the book and slap her, and offer this advice: Choose Morelli. Ranger doesn’t want you. He doesn’t want anyone.
Otherwise our favourite cast is back. Rex, the hams
QueenB
Jun 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a lot of other people on here, I'm going to state that this is more of a 3 1/2 star rating (where's the half star option, goodreads?)
The last few books from 13 on have really lost all charm and appeal for me. Recycled lines, plots, jokes, sexual tension that's not even a ping on the radar and less than no character development. I honestly felt like after 12, Ms Evanovich reached a point where she might actually have to go forward with the characters and series, so she backed off. Unfortunat
Angie
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait for this book to come out. I just really hope there is more Ranger and Joe in this book. books 15 and 16 were not her best work.
Alyssa
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Review posted at Hesperia Loves Books

It is hard to put into words how utterly disappointed in this series that I am. When I first started reading Stephanie Plum, I was immediately sucked in by her & the world in which she lives. Each book was so hilariously funny and outrageous that it quickly became a 'go-to' read for me when I needed a pick me up, escape or just good tear-streaming laughter. Now I just feel like I'm watching a really bad episode of Jersey Shore and can't stop saying 'WTF'!
Donna
Jul 05, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This series used to be fun, addictive fluff, but it's wearing thin.

The bail bonds crew is working out of Mooner's van and going to desperate lengths to drum up business as bodies pile up on their lot. The usual formula is in full force, but without much of the charm of previous books. Stephanie and Lula chase wacky skips, Grandma Mazur makes a scene at a viewing, people get tasered, cars are destroyed.

Even Ranger and Morelli seem to be sick of this shit, they show up for surprisingly soulless r
Jacqueline
Maybe 3-1/2 stars. It was much better in some ways than the last few books. Lula wasn't nearly so unbelievable. Stephanie actually caught some skips. I enjoy Mooner. I was disappointed in the developments in the love triangle. It actually left a bit of a sour taste. (view spoiler) ...more
Dagny
Nov 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evanovich-janet
The usual laughs but Stephanie spent a bit too much time dithering between boy friends for me. It may have been caused by Morelli's Grandma Bella's evil eye. Still, there were mom's fix-up dinners in her mission to find a husband for Stephanie and Lulu's usual insane antics. Grandma Mazur is still carrying a gun in her purse, so all is well in the Burg.
Petra
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were a few laugh-out-loud moments (the granny panty scenes were fun) but the "bad guy" was really obvious in this episode.
This did end in more of a surprise and "tease" than the other books and I have to say that I'm interested in finding out what Stephanie is planning.

(for those of you who saw my review of Explosive Eighteen and are thinking "I've read this review before".....you have.....I reviewed this book but searched for the wrong book and haven't read Explosive Eighteen yet)
Antof9
Louise Culmer
I have enjoyed all the Stephanie Plum novels up until this one, some more than others. But this one failed to engage me. You don't read the Plum novels for the gritty realism, but the plot of this one I thought was more than usually silly, especially the man who thought he was a vampire. And while I know Lula is supposed to be eccentric, it is a bit too much to swallow that she really believes that the chickens that are sold in supermarkets are bred without feathers. She seems to be turning into ...more
Melodie
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This is really more like 3.5 stars. Wish they had the 1/2 star available! Anyway, you can never really go wrong with a Plum book. If nothing else you know you're going to get some laughs. The next book is supposed to be out in November and it looks like she's going to make a decision about Ranger & Morelli. Which is really a good thing because she was really a 'ho in this one, which she blamed on Grandma Bella!! And her mom was trying really hard to throw another guy into the mix. I'm pullin ...more
Shannon
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are a few things we can always count on in a Stephanie Plum book: at least one of Stephanie's cars will be blown up; Stephanie will be conflicted over her feelings for both Morelli and Ranger; Morelli's grandmother will put the evil eye on Stephanie; Stephanie will spend time with Lula and hijinks will ensue; Grandma Mazur will try to open a coffin to get a look at the dead body inside. Every. Single. Time.

Sometimes I feel like Evanovich has a computer program where she plugs in a new char
Bridget
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up an earlier book from this series on the sale rack at the airport when I desperately needed something to read. It was hysterical and I recommended this book to a lot of people. So I was very excited to get my copy of Smokin Seventeen. To my disappointment the story was the same as the last Stephanie Plum I read with the exceptions being this one wasn't funny and Evanovich seemed to feel compelled to turn Stephanie into a slut; complete with back to back nights of sex with her differen ...more
Samantha Smith
Dec 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Worst Stephanie Plum book yet. I have loved this series from the beginning. I loved, loved, loved One For the Money and I loved these books all the way until about book 14. I recommended these books to patrons and to friends and I anxiously awaited the next Stephanie Plum book. But somewhere around book 14 the plots got thinner, the dialogue more ridiculous and the books more repetative. Now with book 17 there is no plot, the characters are washed out boring versions of themselves. Oh! and every ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
3.5 Stars

This review was posted at Under The Covers

I am both highly disappointed and happy about this book. As far as storylines go, I was glad to see a little bit of a different feel to the chasing skips we get with every Plum book lately. And there are three people trying to kill Stephanie. The skips are crazy as usual, there's an old guy who thinks is a vampire and sleeps in a coffin at the funeral home, the sleezy guy who always seems to have a boner. The humor and inventiveness was back!

St
Michael
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Plum and the gang have, over time, become a staple of my summer season. They just go hand-in-hand. Admittedly, I have been pretty disappointed with Janet Evanovich's last few novels; they started going downhill with Lean Mean Thirteen and never really recovered. However, I never gave up the series because, like I said, they were a habitual part of summer for me. I'm especially glad I didn't give it up, however, because Smokin' Seventeen is one of the best in this series to date.

The las
Susanhayeshotmail.com
What did I think? Well, I'm still thinkin' that maybe I should go with a one star and that is really something from this gal. I have been a Stephanie Plum/Janet Evanovich fan from the moment I first picked up One for the Money off the brand spankin' new book stack in the backroom at the Enumclaw Public Library 'lo these many years ago. I laughed so hard I snorted and tears ran every time Stephanie had to add oil during her first car chase. I love Grandma Mazur, her gun and her crowd at Stiva's. ...more
Around the Year i...: Smokin' Seventeen, by Janet Evanovich 1 7 Aug 24, 2017 01:53AM
what do you think? 35 68 Feb 23, 2015 09:24AM
Will Stephanie ever get married? 15 143 Sep 15, 2013 07:22PM
The Women's Myste...: #21 Smokin' Seventeen 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 10:58PM
Ask Janet Evanovich! 259 3188 Jul 18, 2012 02:22PM
Ranger, Joe, and Stehanie 90 641 Jun 28, 2012 08:13PM
Is it time for Ranger to be killed off? 107 363 Mar 01, 2012 08:34AM
  • Hero at Large
  • 6 Killer Bodies (Body Movers, #6)
  • Uncorked (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #7)
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
  • Killer Insight (Psychic Eye Mystery, #4)
  • A Bad Day for Scandal (Bad Day, #3)
  • Alibi in High Heels (High Heels, #4)
  • Trail of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #5)
  • Q is for Quarry (Kinsey Millhone, #17)
  • Passion, Betrayal And Killer Highlights (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery, #2)
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Have Your Cake and Kill Him Too (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #5)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
“That’s nice of you, but it’s not necessary to loan me a car.”
“I loan you cars all the time.”
“And I almost always destroy them or lose them. I have terrible luck with cars.”
“Working at Rangeman is a high-stress job, and you’re one of our few sources of comic relief. I give you a car and my men start a pool on how long it will take you to trash it. You’re a line item in my budget under entertainment.”
55 likes
“Next time I fall in love it's going to be with someone who isn't an expert in fibbing."
"You're in love with me?"
"You didn't know that?"
"I did, but it's nice to hear."
"Scares the hell out of me.”
32 likes