Start by marking “Priestess of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Priestess of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #1)

Priestess of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt #1)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews

Egypt, 1500 BC

Published January 23rd 2012 by Carina Press

Summer
I thought this sounded up my alley but I'm tired of romance books describing the male love interest's anatomy immediately twitching upon meeting the female protagonist like it's some kind of sex compass. No. Just stop right there.
Ruth
This one I received through netgalley was quite different from anything else I've read. I had quite a few issues, but there was something about it that I really liked, that saved it somewhat.

What I wasn't so keen on:

- The writing wasn't particularly good. I wanted to be able to feel that this story was set by the Nile, with the sights, sounds and smells described. I wanted to feel I was there. There really was none of that, and I felt it would have made a good use of word count to spend some tim
Rose
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who like brief, historical romance with mature content
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Carina Press
"Priestess of the Nile" is a mature romance novella set in Egypt during the 1500s BC. It revolves around the brief romance between the Crocodile god Bek (or Sobek) and the mortal priestess Merys.

I never would've guessed that this was an erotica title based on the first chapter, as the story opens with an alluring, placid interaction between the two lead characters, with remarkable potential for the story to come. The mythology appears sound, the personalities of the characters sharp and defined
Rebecca
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

This is a very short novella (about 21,000 words) set in Ancient Egypt. While it’s a lovely story that I very much enjoyed, the romance fell a bit flat for me, probably because the length of the novella prohibited much character development. That said, I absolutely loved the Egyptian setting and was drawn in almost at once by the detail.

Merys is the great-granddaughter of a priestess of the Crocodile god, Sobek, and is fishing on th
Kimberly
3.5 Stars
Isn't the cover for this beautiful? I adore it. I'm a cover slut. I love me a pretty cover! Now as I understand it this is the author's first book/major work and I thought that it was pretty good for a bit of mid afternoon reading. I suppose it's a paranormal historical romance with her being a mortal and her lover being Sobek the ancient Egyptian crocodile god.

For me I could tell that the author Veronica Scott took her time writing this piece and even though it's less than 70 pages lon
Michele
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading and enjoying the third book, Dancer in the Nile, I picked up Priestess of the Nile and the second book as well. This was a shorter novel, just under 100 pages, and stayed more aligned to a romantic tale. Nothing wrong with that, however Scott had crafted such a wonderful romance/adventure/mystery blended genre story with Dancer in the Nile that I felt spoiled.

In Priestess of the Nile, the reader is introduced to a young woman who has no dowry and still lives with her father and di
♥AmandaDarlin♥
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sobek is walking along the beach of Nile River and sees one of his abandon temples. He heard a woman singing and followed the voice which led to Merys. Merys was startle by Bek at first, but later found herself wanting to know Sobek. Merys told him about her life as her family servant and how her family wouldnt give her any dowry.

Every chance Sobek had he would still away to see Merys. However, seeing a mortal a woman is against the law, he still takes his chances to be with Merys. Merys is also
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, netgalley
I like that Carina Press is publishing romances set in different historical time periods. I wish they were a bit longer. I'm not a novella fan, generally, though I keep reading these because I want the diversity in my historicals.

Those complaints said, this book was enjoyable. The romance was sweet, though I wish the HEA had been accomplished differently.
Nicole Luiken
I enjoyed this take on Egyptian mythology. Merys and Sobek (the Crocodile God) were sympathetic characters. I welled up during the Dark Moment, and I loved the scene where Sobek leads an army of crocodiles down the Nile. As is often the case with novellas, I do wish a little more time had been spent building the romance.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Diverting, though undemanding read. I enjoyed the ancient Egyptian setting, found the protagonists likable, and found the ending satisfying.

Full review soon at www.mangamaniaccafe.com
Sumit
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Out of the 4 books of the series that i have read, this one left the deepest impressions on my heart!! I LOVE IT!! :)
PaleHorsemen
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: egypt, mythology, romance
2,5
yes, I knew it was a romance story but I lacked smth profound and more complex
Nana Kitteh
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good story

This is a good if short romance novel set in ancient Egypt. It has a vaguely Cinderella feel but it's so much more. :)
Megan
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kind of an abrupt ending but I enjoyed the accuracy of the mythology involved
myra conti
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short but a wonderful read. Wish could have gone on form

Short but a wonderful read. Wish it could have gone on for many more hours of enjoyment. Will definitely read more of Veronica Scott.
Victoria
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
This review is also found on Always a Booklover .

Priestess of the Nile was something rather different for me. I don’t know much about Egyptian mythology, make that anything about it! But the characters involved in the book were little and those gods and goddesses that were involved were also rather well-explained, so I didn’t have to crack my head wondering who they were.

So this is just a short story (only about 21,000 words) but it was a very fun read. Simple, yet not boring. All I can say is
Stella
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
I confess that I was intrigued by Priestess of the Nile even before I read its blurb: the beautiful cover and the title were enough to grab my attention. I love anything to do with Ancient Egypt: I love the mythology, the architecture, the hyeroglyphs, so when I saw that this new historical-paranormal-romance title by Carina Press was set in Ancient Egypt I knew I had to read it. What I failed to see was how short Priestess of the Nile was, which accounts for most of my problems with it.

Priestes
Habrewer
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Priestess of the Nile by Veronica Scott
* I received this ARC free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

The only time Merys has any peace is when she is on the beach near Sobek’s temple. Her grandmother was his last priestess and has handed down the stories and songs to Merys so she could continue to worship him even though their town had turned to another God.

She is treated like a servant in her own home where she is expected to care for her younger sisters and prepare the meals. She
Chrystal
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this novella as it had such rich Egyptian history and information about the Gods and civilization. You can tell a lot of time was spent researching the details of the Gods and the area of Egypt that was to be explored. It did not feel too heavy with detail - it was just the right amount of historical information mixed with a love story.

The love story was actually quiet nice - I've read that some felt that it was rushed due to the length of the novel, but I honestly think it was
ѦѺ™
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
“How doth the little crocodile / Improve his shining tail, / And pour the waters of the Nile,/ On every golden scale!” - Lewis Carroll

Merys spends most of her time on the banks of the Nile near the abandoned temple of the Crocodile God Sobek. as long as she takes care of the household, her stepsisters and provide food on the table, Merys is safe from incurring the wrath of her stepmother. on one occasion, she meets a stranger who captivates her. Bek, in turn, is drawn to her and wants to possess
Kah Cherub
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Read complete review here: http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2...

Loving all things egyptian, as soon as I read the book synopsis, I knew I had to give it a try. Priestess of the Nile was a very short story, with 21,000 words, but all of them with a poetic touch to them.
The writing really makes you think you're back in old Egypt. The vocabulary and the descriptions of clothing and places make it all more believable.
I liked the story, I read it in one sitting before going to bed, but I wasn't ve
Beverly Diehl
(Disclaimer - Veronica Scott is one of my sister's dearest friends, and a local RWA sister, so I wanted to like her work.) Scott's debut novella gives us the forbidden love story between Merys, descendant of the priestesses of Sobek, Crocodile God of the Nile, and Sobek himself, though he doesn't initially reveal his identity to her as he courts her.

I've never thought of crocodiles as sexy, but Scott manages to give Bek/Sobek a handsome human form, even an intriguing mixed human/crocodile form,
Donna
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
received from NetGalley for review

(synopsis)
Egypt, 1500 BC

Drawn to his abandoned temple on the banks of the Nile by an enchanting song, Sobek the Crocodile God is even more captivated by the sight of the singer herself. Appearing to her as a man, he learns she is Merys, a descendant of his last priestess. Though filled with lust, Sobek believes Merys deserves to be more than just his mistress. But the rules that govern the Egyptian pantheon forbid anything beyond a physical joining of a Great On
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
When I first saw this my first reaction was to quickly request and devour it as soon as I could, I adore ancient Egypt and the gods that went with the culture. Then I realized it was a short story and I swear I nearly cried. I'm starved for this kind of plot, and I finally get a taste. It was definitely worth it too, and I know I'll be craving for more.

This is actually a fairly sweet story which surprised me given that Sobek is not a sweet kind of god. He's tough and feared, and takes the form o
Melanie Adkins
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Merys was born a priestess, but her mother's death made her a servant in her own home. She slaved for her stepmother and father each day. Taking care of the children her stepmother and father had together was her job. Merys' only escape was to go to the Temple of the Great Crocodile God. As a priestess she sang the songs and performed the dances honoring the Great One Sobek. She attended to the temple as best she could under the circumstances. She cleaned it and honored Sobek always. Then one da ...more
Read2review
This is a fairly standard romance novel. However, there was a pretty interesting plot to it. The book was 21,000 words (86 pages). With a book this short, plot has to move fast although nothing seemed too forced. The basic plot is that Merys, a priestess of the temple of the Crocodile God, has become a Cinderella in her own home. Her stepmother has her run the household as a slave. Merys meets Bek one evening while collecting fish for her family. They continue to secretly meet for some time and ...more
Jessi
*Review coming soon on my blog, The Juici Life.*

I'm a sucker for anything involving Egyptian Mythology. However, I typically have low expectations for novellas - they can be enjoyable but I normally long for more in-depth works. I also find myself loathing the typical fairytale endings found in so many romances.

Priestess of the Nile was truly an excpetion. This novellas encompasses Egyptian mythology, focusing on the crocodile God, Sobek, as well as introducing us briefly to other Gods. We also
Soo
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Read via NetGalley

Tales of Egyptian Gods can be beautiful, tragic and horrifying. I was enchanted by the idea of a maiden luring a God's attention with song. I admit it, I'm a sucker for romance, music and happily ever afters.

This short story is about a young maiden named Merys and the Crocodile God, Sobek. A familiar song lures Sobek from his duties and he meets Merys fishing in the Nile. Over time, Sobek & Merys fall in love but their love is doomed because Gods and mortals are not meant t
Sanyel Reynolds
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a quick, passion filled read.
Recommended to Sanyel by: No one
As soon as I picked this book up I had to finish it. I read this in one night...and it's a story that stirred my loins as well as my heart lol.
Sobek is one of the Great Ones in the time of the Ancient Egyptians, the deity of crocodiles. The Egyptians who worked or traveled on the Nile hoped that if they prayed to the crocodile and Nile god, he would protect them from being attacked by the crocodiles who lived in the river. He is caught off guard by a beautiful song while working one day,finding
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I love any books that feature Egyptian mythology. I'm always on the look for such books and haven't read too many actually. Priestess of the Nile was pretty likable in altogether. Sure, there were some flaws like sometimes I didn't like the inner monologues of both main characters and the writing also wasn't all that but I did like the originality of a book featuring Sobek, the crocodile god. Also it was a pretty short book (about 60 pages) so there wasn't much room for character building but he ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Don't Bite the Messenger (NIght Runner, #0,5)
  • Human Rights
  • Seer of Egypt (The King's Man, #2)
  • The Magic Mirror and the Seventh Dwarf (Accidental Enchantments, #2)
  • Fire (Dreams of Fire and Gods, #2)
  • Neskaya
  • Time Thief (The Anomaly #1)
  • Stellarnet Rebel (Stellarnet, #1)
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Crow and Firefly
  • Flux (Ennek #2)
  • Agamemnon Frost and the House of Death (Agamemnon Frost, #1)
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • The Woman Who Loved Jesse James
  • The First Pharaoh
Best Selling Science Fiction & Paranormal Romance author and “SciFi Encounters” columnist for the USA Today Happily Ever After blog, Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library as its heart. Dad loved science fiction, Mom loved ancient history and Veronica thought there needed to be more romance in everything. When she ran out of books to read, she started writing her own stories.

Married
More about Veronica Scott

The Gods of Egypt (7 books)
  • Warrior of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #2)
  • Dancer of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #3)
  • Magic of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #4)
  • Ghost of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #5)
  • Healer of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #6)
  • Lady of the Nile (Gods of Egypt, #7)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
  • The Replacement Crush
    $5.99 $0.00
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Flight (Up in the Air, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Billionaire's Dance (Billionaire Bachelors, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)