Start by marking “An Appointment With Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
An Appointment With Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery #1)

An Appointment With Murder

(Sarah Woods Mystery #1)

It’s a quiet Friday evening in Bridgeport, New Hampshire and massage therapist Sarah Woods is working late at her office. She checks her room. Everything is ready as she waits for her client Jeff Gardner to arrive. However, things start to spiral out of control when a dead body is discovered. Terrified, Sarah finds herself caught up in the middle of a murder investigation. ...more
Published November 16th 2011 by Query Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about An Appointment With Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Appointment With Murder

Start your review of An Appointment With Murder (Sarah Woods Mystery #1)
Kaye
Nov 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Massage, Masturbation, Murder. When Sarah finds her assistant has been strangled in the short time she was in the back with a client she doesn't know who she can trust. Who would have done such a horrible thing? Was it a random killing or someone she knew? Although the police are investigating Sarah can't seem to stay out of it and embarks on a journey to find the killer.

A fast paced story that keeps you guessing until the very end. I enjoyed it very much and look forward to more from this
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
This is the kind of book that I used to give a 3 too, and call it a good book, recommendable.

It's also the kind of book that caused me to revisit my rating system so i could do it justice rather than a dis-service. People tend to not understand and, I didn't want my personal rating to add low marks to an enjoyable good book because i can be finicky.

This isn't a complicated read, and it's very pleasant read. It may be a murder mystery, but the characters are nice, realistic, like your friends
Julie
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Appointment with Murder is a short story/novella written by Jennifer L Jennings. This is evidently the first book in a planned series of mysteries featuring Sarah Woods.
Sarah owns and operates a legitimate massage therapy business. One evening while staying late for a regular customer, Sarah's new assistant Beth is murdered. Sarah's business will get a bad name if Sarah can't figure out who murdered Beth and why. So, Sarah works with the police, and with Beth's friends and relatives to find
Julie Ramsey
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
Sara Woods, a message therapist, owns her own business, works hard and lives well. Her husband is not very attentive and she is lonely but she still loves him and she has a teen son. She is staying late for a client. When the client gets there she is ready for him. He is in the other room getting ready when she hears a commotion up front where her secretary is. When she finds her secretary slumped on the desk, she leans over to feel for a pulse, thinking she is just messing with her. Someone ...more
Blake
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On just another regular day, massage therapist Sarah Woods finds her secretary murdered in her office right before the last appointment of the day. Throughout the book she is determined to find out who her killer was, and why she was murdered. Sarah Woods encounters many people such as her secretaries brother, secret investigators, and many more interesting people during her investigation.
I thought this book was very interesting, to put it plainly. Lots of surprises, twists and turns, and a very
Mad about
Sep 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah has started a reputable massage business in a small town with her two staff members Gabby and Beth helping to keep the sleaze out. With a regular needing a late appointment Beth and Sarah stay late to repay the loyalty. With time running by Sarah checks how he's coming along in the shower and when she comes back to reception, Beth is dead.

An investigation with no leads is under way and instead of sitting back and responding to the shock and grief Sarah takes things into her own hands and
Neva Williams
Jan 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Back and forth on whether to rate a "1" or a "2". I did finish it and I had purchased a box set with the author's first three books of this series. I did manage to finish all three books, which were all very short, thankfully, and all three combined were about the length of one normal book. This was like watching a bad movie on TV late at night. You don't really want to keep watching, but you want to know what happens.

Hopefully this author gets better, but I don't think I will ever personally
Thomas
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-rural-crime
This a cozy murder mystery with not too much sex or violence. It takes place in Bridgeport, New Hampshire. Sarah Woods is an above board massage therapist(no sex). She is working late and finds her receptionist murdered. She decides to investigate what happened on her own. She finds that her receptionist Beth had secrets that may have caused her death. I did not suspect the real killer until almost the end. I give it 4 out of 5 stars. I am counting this towards New Hampshire in my GR US state ...more
Cheryl Van Allen
A friend of mine met Jennifer (the author) at a local fair and, after talking with her a bit, bought this book for our book club (Jennifer even signed them all!) I understand she is a lovely lady - she even offered to attend our book club meeting. Maybe another time, that will work out.

This book was enjoyable, but very light. The character development and plot were thin, but I did finish it. It was entertaining and while the development was light, I really did enjoy the characters. I just wanted
Tom Pintong
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is a story that would be good as you lay by the pool or at the beach, wanting something fun to read, but not too intensive. I wouldn't say I love the characters just yet, but the story kept me up from sleeping and I ended up reading the whole thing in one sitting. I have the 4th installment already, and am just wondering if I want to take the plunge to buy the other 2 stories first. If i ever get through my to read list, this would not be a bad pick up. I wish the author luck and fortune in ...more
Ashley
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very quick read, which I like! It is the perfect murder mystery since I didn't find out who did it until the end of the book. I had my thoughts, but of course was wrong! I'm not one for getting the "who done it" correct, so this made the book even more fun to read. It wasn't perfect, but it was only a debut. This author is one to watch out for! I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Lori McD
3.5+ stars

Enjoyable 1st book in a series where a massage therapist starts working with a PI.

Not so sure about the dance with her marriage - her husband may or may not be cheating on her, but their marriage needs help. And the main character is entertaining her own thoughts about a hot guy.

But the book kept my interest. The 3rd book in this series was being offered as a free Kindle book, but I can't stand coming in the middle of a series.
Rae
I won this as part of the goodreads giveaways. I thought this book was very good. I loved the characters and unlike many other mysteries I was a bit surprised at the culprit. I love the fact that Sarah has absolutely no idea what she is doing but still strove on. A short, easy, and fun read.
Melissa Smith
Really enjoyed this book! Thanks for the great giveaway! I am looking forward to reading more books by Jennifer L. Jennings! Already downloaded An Act of Deciet and gonna start it today!
Paige
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Aside from a few grammatical errors this was a fun, short read. Pace was great and the mystery pretty solid. Both my husband and I enjoyed this book.
Leslie Ferrari
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good first of series. Even better as it was a free Kindle download.
moxieBK
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sarah Woods Mysteries Book 1: An Appointment For Murder (22 chapters) — Jennifer L. Jennings Sept. 4-6, 2018

Sarah, who operates a therapy massage shop discovers her favorite receptionist, Beth, dead and she looks into trying too figure out whodunit.

I really enjoyed the supporting characters in this story until the twist at the end, which really disappointed me. Partly because the character was a lesbian and the ending seems stereotypical and partly because now I realized I was stuck with a lot
Denise
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'An Appointment With Murder' was a great, read. The story line pulled me in and it kept my attention throughout. Definitely full of mystery. The characters were great. Sarah is quite the lead. She is smart and a pretty good person overall. I look forward to reading more.
Sarah Miller
Really quick, simple easy read. It was okay. Dont know how many, or how often I could handle these.
Denise
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First time reading this author. The main character is a massage therapist. I wasnt enthralled with her; as an owner/practitioner of my own health care business, i felt her attitude toward work and her clients made her someone I would not want to do business with. I would be really unhappy if my massage therapist held these attitudes. The mystery itself seemed unlikely. I admit to not having the highest standards when it comes to suspense and mystery books, but i cant recommend this book.
Kassandra Lamb
May 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as part of a 2-book set on Amazon. I love series with interesting characters whom I can get to know and watch evolve over time. I also love strong but flawed female sleuths. This series has both!

I liked getting these first two stories as a boxed set because once I was hooked on Sarah Woods, I could immediately read her next adventure. I think I preferred the first story slightly better, probably because I was just being introduced to Sarah's life and her issues and dilemmas.

She's
Mike
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of the Sarah Woods mysteries. I don't think I'll be trying the others. It wasn't badly written and there weren't too many typos and formatting errors. 'Slapping me hard me across the face' etc. and the amusing, 'When gabby left' which was apt since Gabby was gabby, but a lot of what happened or what the characters did was unbelievable. The least of these being items like, busy Det. Flynn nipping round to the salon merely to bring Sarah up-to-date with his progress and cameras planted ...more
Ruth
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spec-fic
c2011: FWFTB: massage, receptionist, cousin, detective, amateur. Right - this was a kindle freebie. The writing style is not bad at all. But the plot, characters and dialogue all need a little bit of work. I liked that the protagonist was more mature than most but didn't like her background- in a stale marriage and a typical teen. This sets up a few red herrings but despite some highly unlikely events I don't believe that the real murderer was ever in doubt. Would recommend to those of the ...more
Jill D Coffin
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good story

I enjoyed this book although I thought it a bit short. The story was interesting and there was a twist and surprise at the end. If you're looking for a hard boiled, straight up procedural, his would not be for you. It's a cozy with a little hard edge, mixed with a little romance and humor.
The author does a great job with character development. I really got a sense of each person. In my opinion you can't care what happens in the story if you don't care about the people. These people
ShaNeil Harada
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Appointment with Murder:

Sarah Woods is a massage therapist, not a detective. But when she discovers her receptionist strangled to death she can’t seem to leave it to the police. In fact, she’s got enough curiosity to kill ten cats. Sarah meets Max, the sexy older brother of the dead woman, and he is just as determined as her to find answers. There is a definite spark between the two in spite of the slight age difference and the fact that Sarah is a married woman. This book kept me enthralled to
Waseem Ahmed
A fast paced read but i did not like Sarah Woods. I read this after reading 'An appetite for revenge'. Sarah Woods is a self centred egoistic lady who jumps into a new romance even though she has a teenage boy and a husband. She suspects her husband is having an affair but instead of confronting him and trying to sort things out and save her marriage she starts to fall for some stranger. She is not a good role model for mothers. As for the murder mystery, it was okay. I can see women enjoy this ...more
Lori Henrich
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Sarah Woods runs her own massage therapy business. Her husband travels alot and her teenage son is busy with his own activities so having her own business has been a nice diversion. When her receptionist is killed she begins to wonder if it isn't time to give up this line of work. She is curious as to why someone would want to kill Beth and does some snooping on her own.

This was just an okay story for me. The one unique thing about this with the female lead character is that there wasn't a
Leslie
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mysteries
The murder plot was good but nothing special. I thought that the main character/narrator was pushed into a romantic situation that didn't really fit, as if the author felt that the book wouldn't sell without some sort of romance. There were a few minor typos or other editing errors, the most noticable of which was the fact that every time the word "blank" was used as an adjective, the word itself was missing and a blank space was there instead!
Diana Hockley
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written, easy read. The heroine is engaging and her home life totally believable. There is no wild sex which goes on forever, only sexual tension which does the job better and even the murder is well behaved. The secondary characters are excellent.

What more can I say? I am off to buy the sequel :)
Adrienne Testa
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Woods is a massage therapist who gets caught up in a murder. A husband and son at home, Sarah is unsure of her marriage and her job. She finds herself attracted to the dead woman's brother, as they work together to expose the killer. This is a quick read with enough twists and turns to keep you turning the pages. And, learning who the killer is comes out of left field.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Before He Kills (Mackenzie White Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery, #5))
  • Affinity House (Home Sweet Home Book 4)
  • Remedy House (Home Sweet Home Book 3)
  • Fantasy House (Home Sweet Home Book 2)
  • Henry Wood Detective: Boxed Set (Books 1 - 4)
  • The Roadrunner Cafe
  • Cause to Run (Avery Black Mystery, #2)
  • Harmony House (Home Sweet Home Book 1)
  • Murder in the First Edition (Beyond the Page Bookstore Mystery, #3)
  • Bark of Night (Andy Carpenter #19)
  • The Doll's House: Pageturning romantic suspense
  • Summer on Moonlight Bay / Then There Was You
  • Mirror Image
  • Season of the Serpent
  • The Tour (The Conor O'Shea Series, #1)
  • Raspberry Danish Murder (Hannah Swensen, #22)
  • Murder of a Werewolf (Brimstone Witch Mystery #1)

Sarah Woods Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • An Act of Deceit (Sarah Woods Mystery Series, #2)
  • An Island of Illusions (A Sarah Woods Mystery #3)
  • A Taste of Sin (Sarah Woods Mystery #4)
  • The Masque of Innocence (Sarah Woods Mystery, #5)
  • The Art of Duplicity (Sarah Woods #6)
  • An Appetite for Revenge (A Sarah Woods Mystery)
  • A Date with Death (Sarah Woods Mystery #8)
  • A Weapon of Choice (A Sarah Woods Mystery #9)
  • A Witness in Disguise (Sarah Woods Mystery #10)
  • The Ties That Bind (Sarah Woods Mystery #11)