Start by marking “Precious Bones” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  595 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
When the skeletal remains of a young woman and her baby are found entombed behind the kitchen wall of a historic Tudor house, Cassandra is overcome with grief. She seems to know who the young woman was, but not how she knows, or how she came to be there. Cassandra becomes inexplicably drawn to the house and the mystery of the "Bones of Blackfriars." As she begins to learn ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st, 221 pages
Published November 14th 2011 by Merlin Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Precious Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Precious Bones

Josephine (Jo)
A really enjoyable time shift story set between the turbulent times of Elizabeth I and present day London. When Cassandra buys and old Tudor cottage in London on a strange impulse, she has no idea that she is buying the family that lived there in 16th century too!
The lives of both Cassandra and the Elizabethan inhabitants of the house unfold with many tragic events and heart pounding excitement. The Elizabethan era was a very dangerous time to be a Catholic and the Thorne family are recusants, a
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mediocre. Predictable. No language. Liked the cover. Go figure.
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book suffered a lot by making it's narrator a published author who is amazing and the voice of her generation blah blah. All that stuff. Because the way she narrates the story is just so simple. If she was a decent writer, she should be a decent story teller and the writing was just not up to scratch. It's prose screamed beginner. I liked the idea of the book, it was interesting. At some parts, I had to check whose story it was, as the writing was not unique and the POV were so similar, wit ...more
Sandra Knapp
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I saw this was about the finding of ancient bones in a very old home my curiosity was piqued enough that I just had to read it. I'm very glad I did.

I can't say much because anything I might say could ruin the surprise for anyone else thinking about reading this book. I will only say that if you like mystery, intrigue, history and romance, you won't be disappointed in this tale. It's all there, and more! I found it absolutely delightful.
Nanci de Suffren
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
How often do we experience that feeling of deja vu? Most don't take us back several centuries. I didn't say all because after reading this story I'm open to the possibility. :-) That being said, I have read several books which drift back and forth in time and do enjoy how authors have used this premise to weave very interesting stories. What tricks or triggers our mind back in time?

The era of Elizabeth and Mary of Scots was truly brutal and peopled by ambitious politicians who might make some o
Boundless Book Reviews
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stormi-s-reviews
When bones are found hidden in a wall in an old Tudor house, Cassandra, an author, finds herself drawn to the house. She seems to know things she shouldn't know being the fact that she has never been to the house and the fact that the bones are from the 16th century . When the house goes on the market she races to buy it. Soon she owns the house and all the secrets it holds. Why is she so drawn to the house and why does she seem to know who the old inhabitants were? Soon she finds her answer at ...more
KC 2.0
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

A bittersweet love story. Precious Bones is a romantic book in that it shows the power and boundlessness of true love. I actually became teary-eyed at one crucial point in the story even though I knew it was coming (I read the end; it's a bad habit I have although I don't do it often).

I liked the protagonists, especially Richard. I loved how protective and smitten he was of Constance. He was a real man, one of integrity and bravery.

Although a compelling read, this was flawed in some a
Irina Shapiro
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A real page turner! A novel of suspense, murder and betrayal in Tudor England, and of course there is a beautiful love story. Highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a historical romance with a twist.
Tony Parsons
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
3/2010, London, England (Blackfriars). Tristan (Oxford) was away for business in China but would be back soon.
Cassandra Blake (author/writer, Oxford) & him kept separate flats.
Joanna “Jo” Cooper (agent, BFF) was telling Cassandra; Mr. Turner Jr. (son) was going to be the new book publisher. Dad had retired.
Mr. Turner Sr. & Mr. Randall were having a meeting with the employees to make the announcement official.
Dr. Anthony Downs (forensic) was looking into the Bones of Blackfriars case.
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a bit more than a historical novel. It's a novel set in two time periods. The contemporary setting is 2010 and is the story of an author who suddenly finds herself obsessed with a house in London where the bones of a young woman and her fetus were found walled up. She buys the house, and after moving in starts writing a novel set in Elizabeth I's time, based on memories of that period which come to her at night as she writes by candlelight. The second story, of course, is of the Elizabet ...more
Janet Schuhknecht
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I really disliked this book. I stopped reading it because of the extreme and graphic disclosure of sexual deviation. The story itself I believe would prove to be a very good book. I think the author made an error in judgment by adding this context to the book. The description of the book was appealing but was then spoiled. Life is too short. I don't want to fill my mind with unpleasant things, and that is now imprinted in my head. A worthy book should entertain or teach you. I read to relax.
willie mae sowell
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another life

Cassandra is a writer, with writer's block. She's trying to write a new novel. An old historical house is discovered to have a young woman and baby are found behind a wall. She seem to know who the young lady is. A flood of memories are being revealed to her. The Thorne family has a connection to her and what is this connection?
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good, but the ending seemed a little too abrupt, as though the author didn't really know how to end the novel.

I liked the characters and the historical aspect of it especially. I thought the characters were interesting as were the story elements, but it there was just something that felt unfinished.

I would like to read more from this author however.
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good story which kept me interested right until the end.
I loved the dual timelines and the chapters were nicely short enough for the switching between the two timelines to have good momentum.
I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator was very listenable.
One I shall read again.
Katie Harder-schauer
I'm working on writing my review now. It will be posted here after it goes live on my blog. I did listen to the audiobook version of the story, and that experience is part of the star rating, so just something to keep in mind.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Could not put down

I started this not expecting much. Boy was I surprised. I was pulled in and absolutely could not put it down. I will be tired tomorrow but it was well worth it.
Mary Sue Wilson
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A young young woman and child are uncovered in the wall of an old house.
What happened? How long had she been there? So begins the story of Constance who lived in Elizabeth ton times. The story flips back and forth from the 1600's and 2010. Hard to put down.
Dawn Kluka
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best I have read in a long while. You won't be sorry.
Susan C. Cembala
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Life after death

I'm so glad that I was not there at that time in England. What a horrible time to live. I was a mystery of reincarnation.
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Precious Bones

What an amazing book. This is the kind of book to read when you have nothing else to do. Loved it!
Tabatha Jenkins
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it.
Linda Nelson
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unusual but charming

I enjoyed this book very much and recommend it to historical fiction buffs as well as anyone looking for a uniquely crafted, well-written story.
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good read.

Loved the premise and the book flew by. Well written and not too busy. Enough history to be interesting but not enough to to make it dry and boring.
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! I was amazed at how much I liked this book! I was so surprised! I didn't have super high expectations when I started - it was a Lendle book and sometimes those are a little more lame than books they want you to pay for or are un-lendable. But I was blown away with how well this book flowed and the story line was really intriguing from the get-go and didn't let me down the whole time! I usually hate books that bounce back and forth between two different characters or time periods, but it was ...more
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Quite an interesting book. A book about lives interconnected. I found the parts about Tudor England to be far more interesting than the modern day period. The characters during the Elizabethan era were more emotional and multi dimensional. The main character of Cassandra was somewhat stilted and boring. I didn't feel anything for her one way or another. Constance, however, was another matter. She was a fascinating character. I loved her interactions with her sister and brother, as well as with R ...more
Theresa Pollara
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Decent story

Decent story

The historical portions of this book were very well researched and written. The author told a story rather than lectured. The story pulled the reader from historic portion to historic portion. The story would have been better without the interruptions of the modern day reincarnation portions. They pulled this story down from a 4 star review.
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very easy and entertaining read. I have always been fascinated with the topic of reincarnation, so I loved that element of the book very much. The back and forth between present and past was very cleverly handled. This book had everything love, murder, betrayal. This author never disappoints and always puts out a wonderful read.
Erin Cornelius
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014, time-travel
I have read a number of books by this author, and have liked the majority of them. Not this one however. While it is not outright bad or badly written, it hit a number of sour notes for me and I did not like it or enjoy it. My criticisms are more of personal preference than general complaints that I would want to hurl at the author.
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I was surprised by how disappointed I was with this book, although I can't quite put my finger on what it was that I didn't like. The plot wasn't bad and neither was the writing style, but I couldn't connect with the characters or get emotionally invested in what happened to them. Overall it felt formulaic...the pieces were there but they just didn't quite come together right.
  • A Regency Holiday
  • The Queen's Favourite
  • Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn
  • Wicked Company
  • Dance of Desire
  • Ashes for the Elephant God
  • Six of One: A Tudor Riff
  • Fortune Said: A Valentine Haberdashers Tale (The Haberdashers, #2.2)
  • Children of Salem
  • Blood Sisters
  • The City of Refuge (Memphis Cycle, #1)
  • A Rose for Lancaster
  • Tales of Ancient Rome (Vol #1)
  • The Fifth Queen
  • Her Master's Touch
  • The Wild Irish
  • The Virtuous Ward (Sweet Deception Regency #5)
  • Catherine Howard: The Queen Whose Adulteries Made a Fool of Henry VIII
I was born in Moscow, Russia during the hight of Communism and "enjoyed" the life of an average Russian child until my family's immigration to the United States in 1982. We settled in Brooklyn, NY where I finished school and then graduated from Bernard M. Baruch College in New York City with a degree in International Business. Despite my business degree, history and travel have always been my pass ...more
More about Irina Shapiro...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99