Start by marking “More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)” as Want to Read:
More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)

More Than a Stranger

(Sealed With a Kiss #1)

When his family abandoned him at Eton, Benedict Hastings found an unexpected ally in his best friend’s sister. Her letters kept him going—until the day he had to leave everything behind. Years later, Benedict has seen his share of betrayal, but when treachery hits close to home, he turns to his old friend for safe haven….

After five torturous years on the marriage circuit,
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Signet Eclipse

Shawna
3 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is a pretty good debut, and I enjoyed the author’s writing style and the witty banter between the H/h and the siblings. It features some of my favorite plot devices...heroine crushing on older brother’s best friend, childhood friends/sweethearts maturing over amusing, flirtatious correspondence, seemingly unrequited love, and quirky family relationships.

Unfortunately, the deception, intrigue, mystery, and suspense part of the storyline didn’t work as wel
Inshirah Kamal
Oct 27, 2017 rated it liked it
letters. predominantly letters.
i am a sucker for letters and witty conversations and this book had both.
i loved the concept that the initial contact is a series of letters that started when she was 11 and he not much older.
certain parts felt like a big drag, but maybe it was my moods.

“And I love you,”
he said as she drew him down for another kiss.
“Just don’t be surprised if while you are looking to the heavens,
I am looking to you. You, my dear Mrs. Hastings, are all the beauty, guidance, and li
Booknut
Ah...forgiveness. Something that some fictional females hand out like candy, and that fictional males often don't deserve.

I'm sorry gents, but saying "sorry" does not get you an automatic Get Out Of Jail Free card. Relationships are not games of Monopoly come to life.
get out of jail free card photo: get out of jail free card getoutofjailcc2.jpg

Why is that fictional males tend to screw up royally, break the female's heart, and then all they have to do is:
(i) Be in a near-death incident
(ii) Say they're "sorry"
(iii) Write a long, regret-filled letter
...and the female is ru
Becca
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
More Than a Stranger is Erin Knightley's debut novel. I have been reading her second series and all of her novellas and I can say, I am a huge EK fan; unfortunately, this one didn't do it for me :(

Evie and Benedict start an unorthodox, but often hilarious, written correspondence when Evie discovers that Benedict has become a close friend of her brother and she gets jealous. This exchange continues for years throughout their childhood until Evie is 16 and Benedict is 18 and finishes school. I am
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Erin Knightley’s debut regency novel, MORE THAN A STRANGER is a surprise waiting to be discovered by all. Immediately upon starting this book, I knew that I had found something special.

Knightley has a distinct and unique voice that I instantly noticed and loved. Her writing is natural, seeming to flow without much effort at all. From the start, her writing captured my attention and didn’t let go until the very end. In fact, it flowed so well that I didn’t feel as if I w
Lady Bocwyrm
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I FEEL AS IF I'VE SPOTTED THE LOCH NESS MONSTER! IT'S A HISTORICAL ROMANCE THAT WHILE BEING ALL THAT TYPIFIES A ROMANCE...IT WAS CLEAN! THE MOST SCANDALOUS THING TO HAPPEN IN THIS BOOK IS THE LOVE INTRESTS *GASP* KISS (I KNOW, SHOCKING). NO CLOTHING WAS REARRANGED OR REMOVED (THE LEADING MAN DOES HAVE HIS SHIRT OFF ONCE, BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE HE WAS ALONE, IN HIS ROOM, EXERCISING), NO ONE TUMBLED INTO BED WITH ANYONE ELSE (IT IS IMPLIED THAT THEY DID SO, AFTER THEY WERE MARRIED); HANDS DID NOT WA ...more
Caz
I gave this a C+ for content and a C for narration at AudioGals, which I've rounded to 3 stars here.

More Than a Stranger began very promisingly, with the hero and heroine falling into a correspondence when they are children (and I’m a sucker for a good “friends-to-lovers” story!). Lady Evelyn Moore is close to her brother, Richard, but when he goes off to Eton and forms a friendship with Benedict Hastings, Evie gets jealous. Upon receipt of yet another letter from Richard, which is full of “Hast
Arely
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
We start off with Evie and Benedict (then known as Hastings) writing letters back and forth, back and forth... until something forced Hastings to stop all correspondence with Evie. Then he comes back, for reasons unknown to us, and asks his best friend—who just so happens to be Evie’s brother—if he can stay with him for a little while. Richard (Evie’s brother) says yes.
Then he bumps into Evie. Panicked, Benedict hides his identity from her, knowing that she would never forgive him for his last l
Andrea
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a sweet, lovely, and even heartbreaking story. There was a little too much unnecessary drama towards the end for my taste, but still a great start to a promising series.
Melanie
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh my but this blurb does not do justice to this wonderful, sweet and very touching love story. Ms. Knightley's debut novel tells the story of two people that come to know each other through the correspondence first, and then many years later both feel the physical attraction that was years in making.

Lady Evelyn Moore is a lady to be reckoned with ever since she was a child. She loves her family, but adores her brother Richard , so when someone such as a friend from his boarding school begins to
Dahlia (yadkny)
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
As a young girl, Evie got her first taste of true jealousy when she discovered her beloved brother had indeed acquired a new best friend while away at Eton. She was her brother’s best friend, so to put everything to rights, Evie decided to write to this Hastings and establish that the title of best friend belonged solely to her. It wasn’t long before she received a very deliberate response to which she was compelled to reply in her own feisty fashion. And so began the unconventional courtship of ...more
Lindsey
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It was light and fun. The family dynamic is great and refreshing. The series of letters throughout the book was great. Great light series by a new author. I look forward to next books in this series.
Jenny
Sep 04, 2016 added it
Shelves: book-to-avoid
Note to self: avoid book because zero love scenes between H/h.
Karen Darling
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
A little funny, but too tedious with the teasing.
Starbubbles
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the last book I read for 2016, and I have to say, it ended on a good note. I enjoyed reading their secret correspondence throughout the book. I also appreciated the combination of past and "present" events to add to the anticipation of everything. But I greatly enjoyed their wit and struggle to connect. I apparently need my characters to go through life or death ordeals because for the last quarter of the book I was like "YAY!" haha, don't judge me.

Anyway, am I tired of people being ho
Thenia
The story of Evie and Benedict, whose acquaintance begins when Evie's beloved older brother leaves for Eton where he meets his new best friend Benedict.

Evie is not happy about losing her place as her brother's best friend and writes a letter to inform Benedict of the fact and warn him off, and so their five year correspondence begins.

Unexpectedly, Benedict cuts off their correspondence just before their first meeting and breaks Evie's heart in the process.

Years later, when circumstances bring ab
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Enthusiasts
Recommended to Britney (BookDrunkSloth) by: Haha, I think Goodreads
Wow I really needed this reread. I have been remembering this love story off and on since I first read it. It wasn't as good as the last time I read it, but you can only read a book for the first time once (saddly). I had forgotten about Evie's love of Astronomy. The song, "Bright" by Echosmith makes me think of this book now. I love it! From my reread I found a few quotes I loved as well. I'll add them to my favorite quotes tonight.
(view spoiler)
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, historical
We have the first book to a new novel to a brand new series. It's always interesting to see how the characters will develop in the story. We have Lady Evelyn Moore (aka Evie) who starts writing to her brothers friend when he went of to Eton. She was so sick and tire of hearing how great his new best friend, Benedict Hastings, was. Evie decided to take matters into her own hands and decides to write him a letter to state that he was not Richard's best friend, but she was. So this starts a friends ...more
Jackie
Jun 17, 2012 marked it as dnf
An annoying, unintelligent, and peevish heroine, a plethora of contemporary idiom, and a poorly-revealed secret spy plot make for an uninspiring debut. Read to about page 200 and just couldn't keep going.
Miso Hime
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5-3 stars.

Not the best regency romance I've read. The plot twist/mystery/big secret that Hastings was keeping didn't shock nor excite me. I found it a little random and bizarre.

Evie was rather entertaining as a heroine, but evidently lacking in any of the "drive" I prefer in my female leads.

The best part has got to be the humour. The witty banters of Richard and the conversations of Evie & Hastings were the highlights for me.

The plot itself wasn't particularly engaging. I couldn't see wher
Courtney
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this author in my book club some time ago, and found her books in the library, so I decided to try them. This book has all the components of a book I love: a classy (and period-appropriate) cover, a untitled hero, and the fact that it was completely clean (I don't have an issue with authors who write about sex, but it was nice to find a non-inspirational clean romance that was published within the last five years).
It is difficult for a hero or heroine who is lying or deceptive to
Heather
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I absolutely adored this book . Lady Evelyn at 11 years old gets jealous of her brother new best friend at Eaton decides to write him telling him she is her brother best friend. Then turns into letter passed over five years. Till one day he break her heart and disappears. Then he appears under a fake name to hide from her . The problem is they both are attractive to one another . Fear of his identity to her he tries to run away but is caught. Will past and truth come between these two?
Tahyun
I realized late to the game that this was the author's first book? I've only read her more recent books and can see she's improved but I think this was sensational, especially for a debut. Great protagonists and fun story. I usually take a bit more steam in my romances (this doesn't go beyond heavy kisses) but she continually surprises me with her ability to build tension without it being frustrating or come off awkwardly or inconsistently prudish. Her romance is so well done.
Bathsheba Turner
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Palette cleanser. I'm showing my age though, I'm starting to find them a bit juvenile with their "I'm never forgiving you" ..."I forgive you" sagas.
Phoenix77
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Characters who fall in love through letters is one of my favorite plot devices, so at the start of More Than a Stranger I was ready to love it unconditionally. However, as the story unfolded I found I couldn't completely ignore some of the weaknesses in the plot or characters, making this more of a mid-grade read for me.

Lady Evelyn Moore and Benedict Hastings began a correspondence during his early days at Cambridge, with their first letters being sharp tête-à-têtes with her trying to break his
Barb Lie
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
More Than a Stranger is Erin Knightley’s debut novel and her first in her Sealed With a Kiss series.

Our heroine in this wonderful historical romance novel, is Evie Moore, and we meet her as a young child who worships her brother, Richard, who is now heading off to Eton. When Evie gets letters from her brother, he constantly talks about his new friend Hastings.

Benedict Hastings is our hero, and Richard’s best friend. He learns all about Evie, as she writes a letter to him to tell him to back of
Kat
Mar 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-like, romance
Boring
Made no sense
No chemistry
Major lie not revealed until over half way through the book
Dottie
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
An exciting read, which I rated at 4.5. The following is my review from RomanceJunkies.com:

MORE THAN A STRANGER by Erin Knightley

When Lady Evelyn’s brother, Richard, went away to Eton, she felt like she had lost her best friend. The only thing that kept her going was his letters home. But when his letters increasingly spoke of his new friend Hastings, she was livid. After all, she was Richard’s best friend and that wasn’t supposed to change just because he was away at school. So she sent a note
SidneyKay
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Ellie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
More Than a Stranger, Sealed With a Kiss #1, by Erin Knightley
Grade: B-

“Just imagine the kind of insults I could give you after we’ve known each other more than a day”

Lady Evelyn Moore never thought that she would become best friends when she sent a letter to her brother’s new best friend at Eton at the age of eleven warning him off. After five years of correspondence and falling in love with Benedict Hastings, he abruptly cuts off all ties. Evie is devastated and has spent years putting all of
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 11, 2015 10:00AM
"Sweet" Romance with a Sizzle 1 4 Apr 12, 2014 09:41AM
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • Season for Surrender (Holiday Pleasures, #2)
  • The Rake and the Wallflower
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Let It Be Me (The Blue Raven, #5)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • The Secrets of Mia Danvers (Dangerous Liaisons, #1)
  • Wicked Surrender (Wicked, #1)
  • To Seduce a Scoundrel (Secrets & Scandals, #3)
  • When a Scot Loves a Lady (Falcon Club, #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)

Sealed With a Kiss (3 books)
  • A Taste for Scandal (Sealed With a Kiss, #2)
  • Flirting with Fortune (Sealed With a Kiss, #3)
“Just don't be surprised if while you are looking to the heavens, I am looking to you. You, my dear Mrs. Hastings,are all the beauty, guidance, and light I will ever need.” 0 likes