Start by marking “Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference” as Want to Read:
Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference

Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  324 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Are you still designing web sites like it's 1999? If so, you're in for a surprise. Since the last edition of this book appeared five years ago, there has been a major climate change with regard to web standards. Designers are no longer using (X)HTML as a design tool, but as a means of defining the meaning and structure of content. Cascading Style Sheets are no longer just ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 830 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Web Design in a Nutshell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web Design in a Nutshell

Tami
Apr 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Web Design in a Nutshell is not merely an updated edition of the previous book (2001) of the same title. Extremely quick substantial changes in the web design systems over these past few years simply wouldn't allow for such an update. Instead, the author has composed this book from the ground up to address the issues and concerns of web designers in 2006. This reference covers all the basics of web design how tos from basics like choosing text elements and creating links through more challenging ...more
John
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
The book gives quick introductions to most of the tools and technologies needed for starting out in web design. The book does not go too in-depth on anything, but provides resources for further exploration. I'm not sure how much of a reference this book is, but acts as a great introduction. Most of the book would be great as recommended texts for students who might want to see a little more. The biggest problem I had with it is that it's alreadyy out of date and doesn't cover HTML 5 or CSS3. One ...more
Leslie
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Web designers
Shelves: reference, web-dev
This is the book I used to get started when I opened up shop. It introduced me to the world of CSS which was to me, at that time, a different planet. Most importantly, it gave me the latest version of HTML and CSS as an integrated system. I still refer to this book often. It's bookmarked and full of little sticky tabs, and is the book I would vote most likely to be missed if it disappeared from my library.
Matthew
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech, books-i-own
Specifically a book on how to design /good/ web pages, using CSS and separation of display logic from document markup. Also contains a very comprehensive (X)HTML/CSS reference and a list of known CSS rendering bugs for recent versions of popular browsers.

If more people read this book, there would be fewer broken websites out there.
Rahmat Romadon
Aug 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: JIPers
This book is very helpful for introduction in study and learning web design for beginner like me. It's very simple and easy to understand. Generally applicable and to-the-point explanation, but not in details because if you want to more detail explanation for some subjects, you have to buy the specific book(s) for the subject.
Bonnie
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
This is a great book for people new to web development. It gives you what you need to know and tells you how it works. It's not just telling you the rule and the properties. For example, the chapter on CSS box model is very helpful to understanding how CSS works.
Jennifer James
This was one of my textbooks for class. It was not an easy read but it's going to be a great reference.
Jason Gill
The 1998 version of this book pinpoints the exact start of what has become a long and amazing career for me. I will be forever grateful to its authors.
Steve lockwood
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
this is a reference book.
jojo the burlesque poetess
Jul 10, 2009 marked it as limbo-unfinished
lent from kama
keatspring
You know the school is desperately in need of money when they buy '97 books for computer classes.
The essentials are there though: HTML, graphics, design & fun, fun fun.
Johnny Kavanagh
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book if you go hand coding for web. I used it in UCC College.
Don Massenzio
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great overview of Web Design. I was new to the discipline when I picked this up. It was very helpful.
Shawn
Jun 06, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Pretty good resource. Probably out of date now.
Meryl Evans
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
My main go to book for a long time including previous editions.
Sep 19, 2013
  • Sexy Web Design
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • PHP Cookbook
  • HTML, XHTML, and CSS (Visual Quickstart Guide)
  • jQuery: Novice to Ninja
  • Linux in a Nutshell
  • SQL in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Learning Perl
  • The CSS Anthology
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »