Start by marking “Animal 123” as Want to Read:
Animal 123

Animal 123

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
With a bold palette, striking graphics, and a bouncing menagerie of animals, this pair of uniquely formatted lift-the-flap books introduces young readers to the basic concepts of counting and patterns. Each is a boisterous, vivid trek of discovery, providing irresistible clues which encourage lifting the flap—a hands-on, educator-approved strategy of uncovering and learnin ...more
Hardcover
Published February 22nd 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Animal 123, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal 123

Joella www.cinjoella.com
I like the idea of this book...but there are a few things that make me not love it. So, it is a brilliant counting book. I love how it has big numbers. It says, "1 wriggly snake" then you can lift the flap of the big number to have it reveal "2 wriggly snakes". I like this concept, and it looks great visually. However, I don't like how on the "5 creeping bears" page you can actually see the 6th bear paws. All the other lift the flaps hide the fact that another animal is hidden. That one doesn't. ...more
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Genre-childrens book- counting
This is a great counting book for kids. It counts to ten with animals, and it has a fold out of the next number on each page. It's simple, fun, and bright.
A. Area of comment- illustrations
B. The illustrations are very plain and simple. If the number is 4 with the animal being a hippo, then the picture is simply of four hippos swimming like the page stated. I feel this book is more beneficial for counting overall, rather than reading or anything else.
C. On page 8 th
Hope L. Justice
I really liked this book. It not only does sequential counting, but you reinforce the next and previous number in the countdown by folding out the flaps. You can go through the book without the flaps and then go through again and reinforce their knowledge of numbers, rather than the simple memorization technique. A lot of toddlers get confused if they get interrupted counting to ten. This is a great book to help with that.
Karen
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

This book was a bit young for him -- he mastered his numbers quite a while ago -- but he still enjoyed the lift-the-flap element of the book and the beautiful artwork. The illustrations are bright and colorful with rich textures, especially in the furred animals.

Samantha
Counting from 1 to 10 with animals and flaps that fold over to preview the next number. Vibrant illustrations are digitally rendered. Perfect for sharing with toddlers. The only thing missing was for each page to have the number spelled out in words.
Kendra
Would be 4 stars, but I'm a little bugged that one of the swans isn't "snowy". Just bugs me. BUT this would make a great gift for a toddler as the flaps are pretty sturdy and the images are nice and bright, with lots to see and talk about.
Miss Sarah
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
a simple counting lift the flap book. Each page is one number and an animal and under the flap (which is a number) is one more of that animal increasing the number. Cute for storytime especially younger kids.
Megan
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun for a counting storytime!
Jen
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
The format limits the audience somewhat, if you value your books' longevity, but as a read-with-parent this is really really cute.
Robin
Jan 05, 2015 added it
Shelves: ian-s-books
I like the concept of the design and graphics but don't like that it is really repeating most of the numbers with 1 2 2 3 3 instead of 123
Lori
Shelves: preschool
good counting, adding
Jamil
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
features: number shaped flaps, counting up, and some really great double-page spreads! (I particulary loved the "swimming hippos" & "creeping bears").
Beverly
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
wonderful pictures and excellently designed lift flaps.
Paula
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it

Illustrates the concept of counting with animals of all different shapes, colors, and sizes, including elephants, giraffes, and swans.
Jessica
Brea Herrington
Mar 01, 2014
Maren Prestegaard
Mar 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Nope. Nothing much to say here.
Cate Levinson
Jul 21, 2012
Michelle
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Britta Teckentrup was born in Germany and moved to England in 1988. She is the author and illustrator of many books for children. She now lives in Berlin with her husband and young son.
More about Britta Teckentrup...