Start by marking “Searching for Candlestick Park” as Want to Read:
Searching for Candlestick Park

Searching for Candlestick Park

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  97 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Life has been tough for Spencer since his dad left. His mom complains constantly, they never seem to have enough money, and they're always having to move. He knows his father works for the Giants baseball team and lives somewhere in San Francisco--and Spencer's sure that if he can somehow get there, his dad will take him in. But California is a long, dangerous way from Sea ...more
Published September 27th 1999 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Searching for Candlestick Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Searching for Candlestick Park

Volkert
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
At first I was bothered that Spencer was lying and stealing to run away from his aunt's Seattle area home, where he was living with his mother, so he could search for his father in San Francisco. But once I realized that he was keeping a list of all the things he "borrowed" from people so he could pay them back, I relaxed and found myself getting involved in this bicycle/hitch-hike/bus ride adventure. While it's easy to get the impression that "Searching for Candlestick Park" glamorizes running ...more
Eli
Feb 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for my 7th Grade English class. The mere recollection of it brings back so many sore and painful memories that I may have to cut out parts of this review that maybe ought to be said, only for the sake of not having to think about it any longer. This children's story is what I would call ideal trash. If I am glad for having read it at all it would only be for the sake of knowing a bad book to be more readily able to distinguish and contrast it to good ones.

There are two m
Cathy Hendren
I always enjoy Peg Kehret's books. That said, the preface of this book may make some 13 years olds think they can run away and be safe. The story is about Spencer running away to find his father at Candlestick Park. This is all so he can save his cat from going to the pound. That part I liked since I believe that once you take on a pet, they are yours for their life time.
Margie
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another good read. This book is about a boy who is searching for his father. This search is prompted by the financial situation that his mother is in.....a great story about relationships with unexpected people.
Cassie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It is by one of my favorite authors, Peg Kehret. I really think you should read it. But you don't have to if you don't want to. So, yeah. You should try it if you want to. So...peace out.
Isha B.
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Funny at times and really suspenseful. I think the ending should be a bit happier though.

Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: usa
Peg Kehret's books will appeal to both boys and girls between 8-12
Brooklyn F
i liked this book
i liked it because the boy was determaned to get to his dads house all by himself with his cat foxy. it showed that we realy wanted to leave his mom and go live with his dad.
Sylvia
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Boy wants to see his dad (divorced) and sets out by himself on his bike and his cat.
Bobncon
Nov 27, 2010 rated it liked it
This one will cause some great discussion among my students. Lots of good moral dilemmas for kids to work through.
Hannah
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of her best books
Dazzle Me
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read this to the kids, it was a exciting read, they really enjoyed it.
Karen Hamilton
Oct 06, 2008
Aditya
Apr 05, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...