Start by marking “Spy Cat” as Want to Read:
Spy Cat

Spy Cat (Pete the Cat #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Pete the cat can't actually talk to his owner, Alex, but he's a crime-solving cat, and he knows when things aren't right. And now, Pete knows something is wrong. Someone's been breaking into houses in the neighborhood, and they're not just stealing people's property&150they're kidnapping pets! When the burglars come to Alex's house, they nab Pete! Lucky for Pete, Alex' ...more
Published June 17th 2004 by Puffin (first published 2003)

Moe
Mar 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
The author should have warned anyone that was about to read this book that it's only for animal torturers or anyone who thinks that a cat bleeding to death is hilarious. This book is horrible. I'm very touchy about animals getting hurt, and I couldn't handle when a kid got kidnapped and his cat got tortured, too. I was thinking, why would they ever write such a book, for kids? Even an independent, sensitive adult wouldn't be able to handle such treachery.

What really stinks is that I was enjoyin
Karen & Gerard
Spy Cat by Peg Kehret is an adventure with the cat and the little boy being the ones to find the burglars who have been breaking into homes in the neighborhood. It has excitement, adventure and animals. Parts are funny, such as when Pete the cat eats the burglar's hamburger and fries.

This is a quick fun read that shows the strong bond between kids and their pets. I liked it!
(Karen's review)
Alyssa
Sep 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good! It is a must read! Especially for people who like mysteries!!!!!
Dolly
Nov 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is an entertaining and dramatic story in the Pete the Cat series about a family with a smart pet cat who helps to track down thieves breaking into homes in a new housing development.

The book is 'coauthored' by the author's cat, Pete the Cat, and the cat's perspective is humorous and insightful. It's the sequel to the book The Stranger Next Door, but we haven't read that one yet.

Our oldest borrowed this book from her elementary school library. I thought it would be a fun, fast read and it
Hamant R
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pete the cat sences that something is wrong. Pete can't talk to his owner verbally ,Alex, But he can sole crimes, and he knows when something arent right.And somethings wrong right now, someones been breaking into houses in Pete and Alex's neighborhood,and they're not just stealing people's personal property, their stealing people's peace of mind and their pets!!!!! When burglars break into Alex's house, they catnap Pete. But luckly for Pete, Alex's Brother,Benjie, rescues Pete. But Benjie gets ...more
Davis
Mar 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Spy cat was so great I could never take my head out of it.
Shelby
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
dyhdjhgjhgdjgfdgfdgfhjklhgdsdfgjhkjljhdgfsafghjk.lkjthrgefwsghdmj,kiuyjthregwsertyiuoiyrttyuiyoiwudiuieuiueiueiuyeiufihfkljjhfgljskjdgfhjkdglkjfkhgfdhkgfljdlkfjdhflkjdhlkjfhkdjhfkjdhkjhkjdhfkj
Hope Rosenbeck
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Richardhd96
Apr 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pete the cat lived with the Kendrill family. Benjie was in 1st grade, Alex who was in 6th grade and Mr. and Mrs. Kendrill. A girl named Mary and her grandma moved in next door. They had tons of animals. One night they were robbed and one of the animals was stolen. Then the Kendrill family got a new kitten that Pete wasn't too happy about. Then the robbers broke into the Kendrill's house. Pete tried to stop them. He got into their truck and started biting and scratching them. Then Benjie came to ...more
Jackie
Jan 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book is about 4 kids and 2 cats.the kids names are alex,rockey,mary, and benjie and one day rockey and his family went to a resturant and a harware store, and while they were gone alex was watching the news with his family and he heard the news lady say BREAKING NEWS THIS JUST IN ANOTHER VALLEY VEIW HOME ROBBERY.and after that they broke in to mary and many more homes.the next night the robbers broke into alex house and just so happens benjie alex's littler brother was home.pete the cat was ...more
Peacegal
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Spy Cat is a juvenile nonfiction book that will be welcomed by young animal lovers and mystery fans alike. Pete, the titular feline, solves a mystery involving a burglary ring, despite his humans' obliviousness.

Other reviewers have commented that the Spy Cat series hearkens back to an earlier era; the children speak with much more formality and have much more freedom than most twenty-first century youngsters. Students (and their parents) may enjoy this break from the bratty banter of the Hannah
Calob Jones
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a pretty good book.The book is about the Kendrill family. Alex who is in 6th grade Benjie who is in 1st grade and there mom and dad Mr and Mrs. Kendrill.The Kendrills have a cat named Pete.Well one day when no one was home but Pete but Pete noticed something wierd when he heard someone come inside the house.So Pete went to go check and guess who was thier robbers and they were robbing the kendrills stuff and put it in there van.Then Pete decided to sneak into the van and when ...more
American
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Suspense Fans, Mystery Lovers, Middle Graders
Peg Kehret is one of my favorite children's mystery authors, though they are never usually 'scary', more what I call 'spooky', but I like the spooky atmosphere. They usually all teach a moral lesson, which I do like about them, and they sometimes show what to do in a dangerous situation and what not to do. The books by her and 'Pete the Cat' are some of my favorites by her, but I like the 'Ellen and Corey' series a little better. I also like some of the single books like 'Stolen Children'. I've ...more
Reagan
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thieves have been robbing houses in Alex's neighborhood! One day, Alex and his brother Benjie were at school, and their parents were out. When Benjie came home, the thieves were at his house! Benjie and Alex owned a cat called Pete, and he was worried that the thieves would take him. Pete was in the thieves' van when they came back into it. Benjie thought the thieves had took him, so he confronted the thieves, but they captured him!
Will Benjie get saved? Will the thieves get captured? Read this
Miss Carman
There have been a bunch of burglaries in the area where Alex lives, and Pete the spy cat is determined to protect his humans - and wishes that they could understand him. But when burglars do come and Alex's younger brother Benjie and Pete the cat are the only witnesses, what will happen?

A quick read, this book is not remarkable, but not bad. I thought the parts written by the cat were not so original, but otherwise the book was good. Kids who like animals and mystery books will enjoy it.

Recomm
Aileen Stewart
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Spy cat is unusually interesting in that the story is told from the point of view of both Alex and his cat Pete who understands what humans say and reads what they write. Along with the help of his younger brother Benji, Alex and Pete manage to solve the mysterious burglaries that plague the surrounding neighborhood. The twists and turns they take leading up to the burglars capture are well worth reading.
Brandon Abbs
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is the first chapter book I remember reading. I did a book report on it in about the second grade and since reread it a few times. Maybe it's the nostalgia I'e associated with it, as the earliest-read book I can remember reading, but there's something about the witty and thrilling writing I remember it for, especially, but not just, in a book meant for kids that drives me to suspect my last rereading of it may not be the one from a few years ago.
Holly M.
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this is one of my favorite books. I gave it a five star because you never know what will happen next. It is also really neat because the cat has parts in the book where he is talking. How would you feel if burgalaries happened all over your neighborhood week after week? Well, that's how the Kendrill's feel. Alex and Benjie feel, they don't know when their house is coming next.
Gabby
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I gave this book 5 stars because this book is all about adventure and it is very exciting. What I really loved is it gives people who read this book an idea of what goes through a cats mind on a average day and this cat thinks he can be a spy and to help his owners brother bengie from the kidnappers .Does Pete save him or do they never see him again.
Sami S
Oct 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought that this was a great book. It was confusing because of the characters changing and the point of view that changed. If you really understand it, it’s a great book. I would have to give this book 4 stars because it had great action and lots of great details. There are many different things that happen in this book; things that will have you keep turning the pages.
Kelsey D.
This book was the best book I read in 2nd grade. I even re-read it in 5th grade too. This book is about a boy and his brother. Soon one finds a cat in a box to go along with there other cat. One day when they are coming home from school something happens to one of the boys. There older cat has to figure out how to communicate with the humans to save the boy.
Stephen Snyder
This is a wonderful book for any age group to read. If you love animals and love a good mystery, this is the book for you. one of my students now has book his mother, grandmother, and now me hooked on this series. I can't wait to read more of the series. Kudos!

Thank you for the loan Franklin Public Library.
Kimberly
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-n
My nine year old, reluctant reader CHOSE to spend his free time reading this book - that alone is worth five stars! He loves the mix of tension and humor in the Pete the Cat books and we're quite sure that our own chunky, sassy calico cat is related to Pete. Kudos to Peg Kehret for getting kids excited about reading!
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
After reading this book, I know I'm a fan of this author, and would like to read more of her writing. The story is a neat and fun one, and with just mystery and intrigue to keep one going through the book to see what happens. Mind you, this book is geared for the younger age (Juvenile/YA), as obvious by the "talking cat", but it's one you and the kids can enjoy, maybe even together. :)

Thomas Sederquist
Sep 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
There is these people that are moving in next door. and benjie came into the house and said that there was people moving in. But then he kept on going in and out of the house. Then finally came back in and bothered pete there cat while he was eating breakfast. I didn't like this book because the book was to complicated to read for me. I recommend this book to people who like to read mysteries.
Vana
Jul 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
this is a cool one when i saw the cover i fell in love with it. it is about these robberys that keeping happening on a street the robbers eventually rob the main charecters house and grab there cat. Read it for yourself to see what happens.
Bella
Jul 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who likes adventure and mystery
I like this book because it's mystery and adventure and i love those kinda of books. Mary is in a adventure and so is benji and alex .I can realat to mary because she likes to take care of injured animals and I do to.
Brooke
It was humorous relief to have the cat's narration interspersed, but was quite an intense story when it came down to what was actually going on. It was one of those nightly read-alouds with Miles where I actually was worried if Harry was listening.
Emmeline Chu
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot because their was lots of action, and kind of mysterious. I find books like these interesting because the answers to these mysteries are always left unknown (except when you read to the end of the book) which makes it even more exciting!
Margie
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another great read. I love this author. This is the story told from the perspective of a child AND the cat. The crisis for this story is burglary. As always, this author teaches the reader how to deal with specific types of issues.
Talking about the Book! 1 2 Jul 07, 2013 08:53AM
Talk About Juveni...: Spy Cat Discussion 1 5 Jun 19, 2013 12:23PM
  • Snow Valley Heroes a Christmas Tale (Planet of the Dogs #3)
  • The Flying Flea, Callie and Me
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats
  • Rescue Josh McGuire
  • Chasing Jenna
  • Bearwalker
  • Escape from Baxters' Barn
  • My Life as a Joke (My Life, #4)
  • The Lost Whale: The True Story of an Orca Named Luna
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • The Long Way Home (A Secret Refuge, #3)
  • The Cry of the Crow
  • Train From Marietta
  • Ellie the Homesick Puppy
  • Dog Den Mystery (Jack Russell Dog Detective, #1)
  • The Fire Line: The Story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots and One of the Deadliest Days in American Firefighting
  • Dark Justice
Peg Kehret writes middle grade fiction and nonfiction. She's won dozens of state children's choice awards, where kids vote for their favorite book.

When she was twelve, Peg was paralyzed with polio. Most of her protagonists are the age she was then.

A volunteer with animal rescue groups, three of Peg's books are co-authored by Pete the Cat."
More about Peg Kehret...