Start by marking “Bonnie Prince Charlie” as Want to Read:
Bonnie Prince Charlie

Bonnie Prince Charlie

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Paperback
Published October 11th 2007 by BiblioLife (first published 1900)

Denise
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like G.A. Henty's historic fiction stories because they make historic facts memorable. That being said, I was a little disappointed with Bonnie Prince Charlie. I think Henty normally does a better job of putting the meat of the story on the bones of the facts; this one didn't flow as smoothly as some of his others. He started rattling off names and places so quickly that you aren't sure what you're reading, then it stops and a tale begins, then back to several pages of facts. Most baffling is ...more
John Barbour
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I've always wanted to read a G.A Henty book so I started with this one. Bonnie Prince Charlie is of particlar interest to me for the simple reason that I grew up hearing about him like he was some kind of hero.

This is rather odd, considering my dad that talked about him is a staunch Calvinist whose ancstors were the very ones who opposed Stuart (catholic) rule. They were members of the verty strict Covenanters church (a Scottish version of Puritanism).

G.A Henty recognizes the fact that Bonnie
Eyebright
Dec 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Scottish history lovers
I have always like reading Scottish history, and Bonnie Prince Charlie is no exception!

I started this book, not really remembering what happens, but knowing that Prince Charles never succeeds in his quest to regain the throne, but it was so sad to see all of the mistakes that were made that led to the suppression of the Scottish rebellion! It seemed like every time Charlie turned around he made another mistake.

Part of the reason for his mistakes was because of the people that he trusted. I thoug
Bill
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I've owned since the early 1960's, a YA sort of adventure story by Henty. He was known as a British Imperialist in his political leanings, but this book about Scotland isn't so clear in his intentions. It's a good story, told as was his wont, about a late teenaged Scot who finds himself involved in Prince Charles Stuart's poorly planned and executed invasion which ended at the Battle of Culloden. This is also the subject matter of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, book one. So I' ...more
Nathan
Apr 23, 2014 added it
A fantastic story of Ronald Leslie, boy turning into a young man full of adventure. Because he has been brought up by adopted parents, he eventually goes on a journey to ultimately learn the outcome of his biological mother and father; his mother being of French royalty and his father, a Scottish officer. His story eventually becomes intertwined with Bonnie Prince Charlie's endeavour to take back his rightful throne. Bonnie Prince Charlie is definitely a page turner!
Rebecca L. Snowe
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is the second G.A. Henty I have read and it was ok, kind of slow but ok. The problem I tend to have with G.A. Henty's books are that they are mostly about men and tend to be chauvinist against women making them out to be weak twerps that have to be 'looked out' for by the men. Three stars for being interesting and having good history.
Nan Hawthorne
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it
G A Henty is a genre unto himself.. but he spends so much time on the historical account that the characters just get lost. In this book you would think you would get a thorough account of Culloden, but it almost was omitted.. I wanted to like this book more than i did.
Ann
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an audiobook from LibriVox.

Kimberly
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I first read about Bonnie Prince Charlie in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Interesting to fit my limited understanding with this work of historical fiction.
William Parker
  • The Hidden Treasure of Glaston
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Beorn the Proud
  • Son of Charlemagne
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Henry Ford: Young Man With Ideas
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Daniel Boone: Young Hunter and Tracker
  • The Life and Campaigns of Stonewall Jackson
  • The Ides of April (Roman Empire Sequence, #2)
  • Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • Outcast
  • A Home for the Heart (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #8)
George Alfred Henty, better known as G.A. Henty, began his storytelling career with his own children. After dinner, he would spend and hour or two in telling them a story that would continue the next day. Some stories took weeks! A friend was present one day and watched the spell-bound reaction of his children suggesting Henty write down his stories so others could enjoy them. He did. Henty wrote ...more
More about G.A. Henty...