Start by marking “A Wintertide Spell” as Want to Read:
A Wintertide Spell

A Wintertide Spell

(MIDDLE KINGDOMS .5)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
If the King is fated to love thirteen women before he turns fifty, is he still husband material? One cold, snowy Wintertide Eve, Queen Geneva of Foresta tracks her straying spouse in an attempt to discover where exactly he goes at night. Has he met his next great love already? Will he put her and their three children aside?

As Geneva labors over the solution to her husband’
Published November 15th 2011 by Meankitty Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Wintertide Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wintertide Spell

Chris
I'm of two minds about this short story. First, there is a certain eye rolling aspect to this. All the names of the characters have a feel of "chosen because I couldn't think of anything else and it sounds pretty". Second, that is doubly true of the kingdom - Foresta. At times the story feels a bit rough around the edges.

Yet.

Yet there is something there. Geneva's name and problem might be eye rolling but she does live as a character. She's likable. There is a wonderful sense of humor, and the pl
Gretchen
Prequel to A Spell for Susannah, this short story presents s glimpse into the early life of King Reginald and Queen Geneva, and introduces the dubious fairy christening gifts that ultimately lead to Susannah's story. Well written, amusing, and engaging, like all of Jody's stories.
Dominika
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. The characters were real and the world was interesting. Plus, there were mischievous fairies in the story :) It was very short, but it's just an introduction to the series, there is the second book and I'm definitely going to read it.
Tanya
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Boy, how I adored this royal couple! The feisty queen thought her husband was cheating on her because he had been weird and fishy for some time, and the prophecy about the king falling in love with 13 women during his life totally pissed her up. So the queen followed the king around, and she tried to kill him several times even though she was in labor. I cracked up every time the queen lashed out, especially when she grabbed a handful of the king's hair while she was in pain because of childbirt ...more
Angela Blount
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story, fantasy
A pleasantly longer short-story, this tale is a whimsical light fantasy laced with Fae-centric elements. Told from the perspective of a somewhat irate Queen Geneva, it involves a bit of questionably "helpful" fairy mischief in an obscure little kingdom that happens to hold a unsuspectingly great destiny.

Wallaces's style is clean, smoothly composed, well characterized, and seasoned with snark. As a prequel to a full length novel, I can see this being a fine setup for whatever is to come.
Rachel
Oct 02, 2013 marked it as owned-to-read
*free on ARE
Jody Wallace
Nov 16, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this so I'm not putting any stars on it. I just like to list all my books in my library.
Diane
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars Amazon; 2.5 stars Goodreads: just a prologue

This short story doesn't really give the full, satisfying sensation of a story that can can stand alone, though it's not bad.
Valentina Markasović
A humorous short story that seems to be a prequel to a book/series. I liked the plot and the characters. There isn't much to be said about this story, but it did interest me to read the next book.
Angie
cindy ost
Nov 08, 2015
Nicole Luiken
Nov 07, 2013
Jody Wallace writes sf/f and contemporary romance under her own name, a few erotic romances as Ellie Marvel, and whatever the cats wants the rest of the time. She currently resides in middle Tennessee with her family.

MIDDLE KINGDOMS (2 books)
  • A Spell for Susannah