Start by marking “A Wintertide Spell” as Want to Read:
A Wintertide Spell

A Wintertide Spell

If the King is fated to love thirteen women before he turns fifty, is he still husband material? One cold, snowy Wintertide Eve, Queen Geneva of Foresta tracks her straying spouse in an attempt to discover where exactly he goes at night. Has he met his next great love already? Will he put her and their three children aside?

As Geneva labors over the solution to her husband’
Published November 2011 by Meankitty Publishing (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Wintertide Spell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wintertide Spell

Chris
I'm of two minds about this short story. First, there is a certain eye rolling aspect to this. All the names of the characters have a feel of "chosen because I couldn't think of anything else and it sounds pretty". Second, that is doubly true of the kingdom - Foresta. At times the story feels a bit rough around the edges.

Yet.

Yet there is something there. Geneva's name and problem might be eye rolling but she does live as a character. She's likable. There is a wonderful sense of humor, and the pl
Gretchen
Prequel to A Spell for Susannah, this short story presents s glimpse into the early life of King Reginald and Queen Geneva, and introduces the dubious fairy christening gifts that ultimately lead to Susannah's story. Well written, amusing, and engaging, like all of Jody's stories.
Tanya
Jan 26, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance
Boy, how I adored this royal couple! The feisty queen thought her husband was cheating on her because he had been weird and fishy for some time, and the prophecy about the king falling in love with 13 women during his life totally pissed her up. So the queen followed the king around, and she tried to kill him several times even though she was in labor. I cracked up every time the queen lashed out, especially when she grabbed a handful of the king's hair while she was in pain because of childbirt ...more
Angela Blount
Jan 30, 2014 Angela Blount rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
A pleasantly longer short-story, this tale is a whimsical light fantasy laced with Fae-centric elements. Told from the perspective of a somewhat irate Queen Geneva, it involves a bit of questionably "helpful" fairy mischief in an obscure little kingdom that happens to hold a unsuspectingly great destiny.

Wallaces's style is clean, smoothly composed, well characterized, and seasoned with snark. As a prequel to a full length novel, I can see this being a fine setup for whatever is to come.
Rachel
Oct 02, 2013 Rachel marked it as owned-to-read
*free on ARE
Jody Wallace
Nov 16, 2011 Jody Wallace added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this so I'm not putting any stars on it. I just like to list all my books in my library.
Diane
Dec 23, 2016 Diane rated it liked it
3 stars Amazon; 2.5 stars Goodreads: just a prologue

This short story doesn't really give the full, satisfying sensation of a story that can can stand alone, though it's not bad.
Valentina
A humorous short story that seems to be a prequel to a book/series. I liked the plot and the characters. There isn't much to be said about this story, but it did interest me to read the next book.
Angie
Feb 12, 2015 Angie rated it it was amazing
Sweet!
Kimterest
Aug 22, 2014 Kimterest rated it liked it
Shelves: novella
Final feeling: cute, whimsical
Missy Lyons
Missy Lyons rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2017
Regina
Regina rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2017
Laurie P
Laurie P rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2013
Michele Crimson
Michele Crimson rated it liked it
May 25, 2012
Trisha Kirkendoll
Trisha Kirkendoll rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Yvette
Yvette rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Marie-Nicole Ryan
Marie-Nicole Ryan rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2012
Courttani Skurok
Courttani Skurok rated it it was ok
May 24, 2016
Alexis Long
Alexis Long rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Anja Mizner
Anja Mizner rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2012
Kalina
Kalina rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2017
Amber Carpenter
Amber Carpenter rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was ok
Jan 03, 2014
Mwanja
Mwanja rated it liked it
May 15, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
cindy ost
cindy ost rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2015
Nicole Luiken
Nicole Luiken rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2013
Jody Wallace writes paranormal romance under her own name, a few erotic romances as Ellie Marvel, and whatever the cat wants the rest of the time. She currently resides in middle Tennessee with her family.
More about Jody Wallace...