Start by marking “Heroes of the Holocaust: Ordinary Britons Who Risked Their Lives to Make a Difference” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  61 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The moving stories of 27 ordinary people who were awarded the Heroes of the Holocaust medal for their actions protecting Jews from Nazi persecution

In March 2010, 27 Britons who took matters into their own hands to protect Jews from the Nazis during one of the darkest times in human history were formally recognized as Heroes of the Holocaust by the British Government. The s
Published January 1st 2012 by Ebury Press

To ask other readers questions about Heroes of the Holocaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes of the Holocaust

Heather
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great read. Really informative without bogging you down. At times hard to read in places as any book about the Holocaust is. Would recommend to all, very powerful and inspiring stuff.
Lizzie
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant book. The stories were divided in to categories by location and each location was given some background to help put the individual stories into some context without becoming bogged down in it.

The stories themselves were easy to read and inspirational, and while a few of the stories were known to me, most were not.

Riveting book, would thoroughly recommend.
Louise Fry
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Simply beautiful and amazing story
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great collection of examples of humanity in times of trial. Those who risked livelihoods and lives to save their fellow human beings from terror, these Brits are examples of the best in humanity. It was interesting to see how people from a nation that was never invaded by ground troops but was hammered from the sky put themselves at risk for others not of their own nation.

Most of the people detailed in this book I was familiar with from reading on Righteous Gentiles before that were re
Becky B
Nov 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, wwii, history
Hero of the Holocaust is an award given to Brits who went above and beyond to help rescue victims of the Holocaust. In this book, Lyn Smith gives short biographies of each of the people who have been honored with this award (so far), especially outlining what they did to receive this merit. Some of the heroes did not keep diaries or have parts of their ordeals that have slipped into anonymity, so Smith fills in the gaps by relating what other people in similar time and situation experienced. Wov ...more
Aveen
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good read, although for me I would have preferred it to read more like personal stories than as facts but then again some of these stories are about people who have already passed away and so they can't be put in the persons own words. I think it's an excellent book if you haven't already read many books on the Holocaust but for me, I felt I was re-reading things I already know - again not really the fault of this book but more about the time in which I read it. I had read the full book of the ...more
Shelly
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a powerful and emotional insight on what happened before and during World War II. You get a glimpse of how people strive to survive amidst such brutalities, and how there are people who are kind enough to help them. These heroes did these despite all the possible dangers they would have faced, with a few of them actually having died doing these generous acts. However, the stories also showed how people act when they are given a sense of superiority, and how crowd mentality can b ...more
Linda Humberstone
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
I am full of admiration for these people featured in this book who helped others with great risk to themselves. It made me feel very small and wonder if I could have acted as bravely. It also helped to revive my belief in humanity to know there were people who did act with such kindness and compassion in a period when the most horrific events were taking place.
Arzu
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was an incredibly powerful read. I studied the Holocaust as a history major and ever since then I have tried to get my hands on as much as I can on the subject. The book was at times difficult to read but it really taught me about heroes that I had not previously been familiar with. Highly recommended!
Maria
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Powerful, emotional, eye opening and heartbreaking. The things I have read in this book will stay with me possibly forever so only God knows how the people who actually experienced the Holocaust and those that survived it live with what they saw and felt. So desperately sad.
Alyssaluca
Jun 09, 2014
Pauline
Apr 02, 2017
Clair
rated it did not like it
May 01, 2018