Start by marking “A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)” as Want to Read:
A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)

A Pound of Flesh

(DCI Lorimer #9)

As the freezing winter weather grips Glasgow, two killers are relentlessly taking lives in cold blood

Detective Inspector Lorimer's worst nightmare is a serial killer loose in his city, but two serial killers operating at once in Glasgow is a nightmare come to life. Is there any link between the brutal slaying of prostitutes in
Published May 1st 2012 by Sphere (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A Pound of Flesh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pound of Flesh

Start your review of A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
Linda Strong
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
With two new books coming out in 2018 this will total 16 books in this series. Although I always recommend starting at the very beginning, this one does okay as a stand alone.

DI Lorimer is starting a new job, albeit temporary, but he's facing all kinds of problems ..getting to know all the new faces of his team is just one. There are two serial killers at play in Glasgow.

One is killing ladies of the street. There have been 4 murders so far, and most of the police don't seem that bothered conside
Sherry Fundin
A female vigilante. I love it!

Her friends death haunts her and she can find no relief, not even in the killing. Doesn’t matter. She will not stop until she finds HIM.

DS William Lorimer has been promoted to head of the Serious Crimes Squad. What’s on the agenda? Four murdered prostitutes.

BUT, when Deputy First Minister Edward Pattison is murdered, he must pass the prostitute murders to other divisions. He is not happy with it at all. Do some see the prostitutes as less valuable? They deserve just
Cheryl
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was unmemorable. I have never read any of the other books in this series but seeing as it is book nine, there must be something about the characters that readers enjoy. I just did not see or experience any of that with my reading experience. It was like I was going through a fog not really seeing much of anything. This book could have had potential but where it missed the marks was the lack of depth of personalities in the characters and a strong storyline. I read that some readers had ...more
Joan
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this police procedure novel. It has a good combination of scene description, character development, and police investigation. There is not a great deal of suspense nor action in the novel. The plot centers more around the psychology of the characters involved. DI Lorimer faces a difficult investigation and he enlists his friend, Solly, to work on a psychological profile. There is much more about the lives of those pursuing the killer than there is about the killer, however.

I recommend
Nick Davies
May 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, did-not-finish
DNF at ~70%. This felt like 'crime writing by numbers'- nothing particularly egregious about it, but surprisingly difficult to find the motivation to read more, considering I like the genre and like the Scottish setting. Perhaps it is that fact - in comparison with the likes of Denise Mina, Malcolm Mackay, Craig Robertson, James Oswald, Craig Russell, this was rather dull with mediocre characters and an initially interesting but rapidly stagnating plot, described with a certain lack of colour in ...more
Kate
May 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
This reads like very basic crime fiction, very basically written. It's fine, like, but it sure ain't new or cutting-edge. Attractive, happily married cop who really cares about the less fortunate; thinky psychologist friend; TWO serial killers! Whoo!

Also, bored of lesbian stories in mediocre crime fiction now. (view spoiler)
Penny Drop
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
A relatively good plot for me was ruined by the erratic use of a Glaswegian accent. Seemingly pages could go by without the dialogue using the accent and then, as if it was an after thought, wham, I was flooded with the ayes and ochs.

Not a huge fan.
Tristan Black Wolf
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I dove into the Lorimer series at this, number nine (cue the Beatles?), and although I have confidence that I'd have much greater insight into the main character(s) had I read them in order, it did not take away my enjoyment of this book one whit. It's an interesting challenge to write what is essentially a police procedural in the manner of a suspense novel, and Ms. Gray meets it quite well.

The essential element of two serial killers is discussed in the cover-blurb and description here on Goodr
Kathleen Gray
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Right up front, I've read a few of these books- completely out of order- and thanks to Edelweiss, I had an ARC of this installment which I enjoyed. It's your basic serial killer procedural but it's set in Glasgow (beware there will be dialect in some of the dialogue). Lorimer and his sidekick Solly the psychologist are trying to figure out whether the deaths of prostitutes and men are linked. No spoilers here. The characters are well done (I like Lorimer's wife Maggie) but this is very plot driv ...more
CuteBadger
I greatly enjoy Alex Gray's Lorimer books, even though I rarely seem to read them in the right order. I found this one enjoyable, but perhaps less so than some of the others in the series. I liked the view of the seedier side of Glasgow and the two investigations being conducted, and as always enjoyed seeing the private lives of the main characters. I felt that the reasons for one of the sets of crimes was never fully explored and I was left with several unanswered questions, but this didn't com ...more
Monique
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book.

Starting off with that I love the characters as well as despise them. This book had me guessing more than twice. Frustration does not even cover how I felt when a girl or man was killed.

I love how the accents were written, it may seem difficult to read but if you have an idea of to it misread then it isn't as hard as it seems. This was an amazing read and a lovely piece of my building collection of books
Katherine
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I might have read this before even though it’s not on any of my lists. Not a book i’d Read twice. Ok read but full of cliches - including a dumpy detective called Barbara (cf Elizabeth George). Don’t know if that’s a British thing that women who are fat, unfeminine, unlovable are all called Barbara?
Nancy Kavanaugh
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters came to life in the book. They were real, warts and all. The plot seemed complicated to the players, but the reader was given inside knowledge behind the scenes, which held his/her interest in watching how the puzzle unfolded and how the the solution to it, evolved. A nice, easy read that held my attention.
Maxine
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoroughly enjoyable Police procedural novel., extremely well executed. Good strong characterisation, a sensible plot that had a beginning, middle and end. All in all a enjoyable series.
I will be reading more!
Elizabeth Findlay
Gripping from start to finish about prostitution revenge
Meinwen
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Good new author
Hugh Stewart
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First time I have read a book by Alex Gray. I enjoyed it immensely. Good news more to read.
Cheryl
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read
Alex Gray has done it again!!!

As you will see, I am addicted to this series. I still have a few that I need to read but so far I have read and reviewed THE RIVERMAN, PITCH BLACK, GLASGOW KISS, FIVE WAYS TO KILL A MAN, SLEEP LIKE THE DEAD and THE SWEDISH GIRL are in my TBR pile. A POUND OF FLESH is the 9th book in the DCI Lorimer series but easily reads as a stand alone.

DCI Lorimer has been reassigned to the Serious Crimes Squad in the department. The killer of prostitutes, in this 18 month old c
Lesley Anderson
Sep 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Oh dear, oh dear. I am struggling to find positive comments to note. The weather was well described and the writer was successful in creating a real feeling for the wintry conditions. However, I found the characterisations lacked depth and was troubled by so many cliché s. The main protagonist Lorimer was just boring, but marginally less so than his wife Maggie. No weakness, no humour, no real. The plot was again a bit of a cliché. The dialogue was stilted. The Glasgow dialect words did not ring ...more
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
‘A Pound of Flesh’ by Alex Gray
Published by Sphere, 1st March 2012. ISBN: 978-1-84744-393-9

Detective Chief Inspector William Lorimer’s is investigating the killing of prostitutes, in the Glasgow area. But someone else is also investigating these killing but by a different method, that of being picked up as a prostitute and then killing the clients.

The murder of a prominent politician puts the police under intense pressure, as the media demand answers. As the police investigate, the number of su
Tiina
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
For some reason, I found it hard to get into the story. Am I getting old? Because I did not seem to be able to keep track of all the characters in this book. When I finally did, I wondered why they all had been featured since they did not contribute to the plot much.

Knowing so well that there were two serial killers and their agendas were related, it was exasperating to follow how long it took for the police to realise this. I guess that is logical, that the police would not realise, but maybe i
John Ellis
Jun 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the 9th case in the series for Detective Inspector Lorimer. In this case he is promoted to Detective Superintendent, in charge of the Serious Crime Unit in Glasgow. He has to find the link between who is killing some of the prostitutes in the city and several business men. The latest victim is the Deputy First Minister who is found in his car out in the countryside. Why was he there in the first place is the main question that needs to be answered? He calls on his friend Solly Brightman ...more
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-boiled
This is an extremely well-written and exciting story that keeps the reader guessing to the very end. The characters are sympathetic and the villains are fully fleshed out. Without giving spoilers, the bones of the story are carefully laid out. Somrone is killing prostitutes and someone is killing johns in the hopes of killing the prostitute killer. It becomes the job of Detective Superintendent Lorimer to find out who and why.
Charlotte
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very well-written addition to the DSI Lorimer series. Quite the thriller, with not one but two serial killers on the loose in Glasgow and Lorimer in the middle. As a reader you can see the convergence of the killers' paths long before Lorimer does, and when the impact comes it is cataclysmic. A highly suspenseful read, and well worth the time.
Rog Harrison
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I must have missed this one when it first came out. Although I am not keen on Bill Lorimer as a character this is a well told story. From an early stage I did suspect the identity of the mysterious female assassin so I was not surprised when it was revealed at the end however the last part of the book is exciting and I had to stay up to finish it.
Lisa Dolatowski
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great read! Good to read about places I know unlike most American crime novels that I like. You do feel as if you are in the middle of winter as you are reading this book, Alex Gray has done well with this atomspheric description. Great characters and can't wait to read more books in this series.
Sophia Waugh
Jan 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
Just about kept me going but didn't really do the thriller at the night thing. Will prob avoid this author. Quite a good double plot, but wonder if the twist at the end would have had more effect if I'd read other books by the author. Like the main detective, Lorimer, though.
Fiona
Jun 25, 2014 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF after thirty pages. After Buchan's Witch Wood, this was always going to feel extremely clumpy. It's, what, Alex Gray's ninth book? And there are still that many adjectives lying about the place? I think I'll pass, sorry.
John O'Neill
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book on audible and found the narrator to be a bit slow and drowsy which took away from the story. I like crime dramas and especially those in Scotland. this was a good story but I would have preferred not to know who the killers were so early in the story.
Cora (Galactic Reader)
Great title and the blurb sounded interesting but I tried to get into this book for an hour yesterday and I gave up after that. It felt like it was dragging throughout each chapter that I read. I didn't enjoy it at all.

• The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8)
  • Written in Bones (Inspector McLean, #7)
  • Prayer for the Dead (Inspector McLean, #5)
  • The Hangman's Song (Inspector McLean, #3)
  • The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, #9)
  • No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1)
  • THE AUCTION MURDERS an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 5)
  • THE MISSING KILLER an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 6)
  • The Damage Done (Inspector McLean, #6)
  • Cold as the Grave (Inspector McLean #9)
  • How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • The Relentless Tide (DCI Daley, #6)
  • THE UMBRELLA MURDERS an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 7)
  • The Innocent and the Dead (The DI Jack Knox mysteries Book 1)
  • Ghost in the Machine (Scott Cullen Mysteries #1)
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)
  • THE MORALS OF A MURDERER an enthralling crime mystery full of twists (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries Book 4)
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
Alex Gray was born and educated in Glasgow. She worked as a folk singer, a visiting officer in the DSS and an English teacher. She has been awarded the Scottish Association of Writers Constable and Pitlochry trophies for her crime writing.

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (DCI Lorimer, #1)
  • A Small Weeping (DCI Lorimer, #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (DCI Lorimer, #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • Sleep Like The Dead (Lorimer #8)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • The Bird that did not Sing (Lorimer #11)