Start by marking “Lucky Peach Issue 4” as Want to Read:
Lucky Peach Issue 4

Lucky Peach Issue 4

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  221 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Lucky Peach is a journal of food writing, published on a quarterly basis by McSweeney’s. It is a creation of David Chang, the James Beard Award–winning chef behind the Momofuku restaurants in New York, Momofuku cookbook cowriter Peter Meehan, and Zero Point Zero Production—producers of the Travel Channel’s Emmy Award–winning Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.

The result of
Published July 3rd 2012 by Lucky Peach (first published June 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Peach Issue 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Peach Issue 4

Foxthyme
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, magazine
My favourite article in this edition is Knives Out! By Matthew Rudofker. A short but good article on chef's knives, sharpening knives, and about the forgers that make the knives.
Chrissy
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, mcsweeney-s
This was probably the first Lucky Peach issue to enthrall me from start to finish, and I took a few moments afterward to try to figure out why. After all, I'm not American. I don't even like a lot of the classically American foods explored in the issue. Hot dogs are alright, fried chicken I could take or leave, most American sandwiches have infinitely more mayonnaise than I'm willing to put near my mouth... I'm certainly a bigger fan of ramen (issue 1) or fresh fish (issue 2). Why this issue?

And
Hans
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(Don't worry we got most of our doom and gloom out last issue. We love food again.)

And they do! Mostly. As evinced by the cheeky covers.

Lucky Peach continues to be a diverse diversion into the world of cooking and eating. You never know what's coming on the next page, especially if you are reading the choose-your-own-adventure taco story.

Also, there are several name-checks for my neighborhood!
Marie
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
More like the New Yorker for foodies/bookworms than a book...but excellent. And FINALLY an article explaining all the Chinese food/donut shops in the city - have never understood that combination since the day I moved here. A little quirky at times, but really interesting article topics and excellent writers....these people know and love food/restaurants and can write.

Look forward to the next installment.
Stephanie W
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, essays, nonfiction
As a whole, this issue gets 4 stars. It covers American food to an extent that it covers Jewish Delis, sodas that are popular in the midwest, and Americanized versions of ethnic food. But this gets 5 stars for having a "choose your own adventure" about eating tacos and a picture of a cow eating a hot dog on the cover.
Lara
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food, read-in-2012
I've had this sitting around for ages and just haven't been motivated to read it until now. Anyway, I liked it a little better than the last one, but...I don't know. I feel like I just can't quite regain the interest in it that I had when the first volume came out. Having finally finished it, I find that I don't really regret letting my subscription lapse.
Dean
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Volume #4 focuses on 'American Food' and along with the normal articles, essays and photo journals that you'd expect - this issue features a 'choose your own adventure' that is scattered through the entirety of this book, concerning the adventures of discovering the essence of the burrito from the Southwest heading westward to California.
Jill
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think the editors of Lucky Peach are hitting their stride. They've trimmed some fat, explored some new avenues, and in No. 4, manage to attack a single theme from a bevy of different angles. A pleasure to read.
Josh Hornbeck
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another really great collection of writing about food - including a set of recipes inspired by the movie "Diner," a look at cooking with regional microbes, and a "Choose Your Own Adventure" face off between Texas and California tacos.
waits4thebus
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-writing
I know it's a magazine in the traditional sense, but I'm calling it a floppy compilation because one normally doesn't enjoy reading a magazine this much. This volume wins because of the inclusion of a Choose Your Own Adventure story.
Bethany
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodie, travel
several articles made me nostalgic enough to cry. choose your own taco adventure was not my favorite though. eat more delis, never eat supermarket sushi. If you're a foodie, subscribe. totally worth it.
Rodney
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love this magazine.
Erika
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hehe choose your own taco adventure
Robert Hudder
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
good issue but loved the choose your own adventure based on tacos. Lots of fun.
Amy Peavy
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
This magazine was related to how food is in america. It was very interesting. I don't think I've finished it yet however...
Harriet
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • Mission Street Food: Recipes and Ideas from an Improbable Restaurant
  • The Art of Living According to Joe Beef: A Cookbook of Sorts
  • The Family Meal: Home Cooking with Ferran Adrià
  • Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond
  • Momofuku Milk Bar
  • Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes for the Cafe's Most Loved Sweets & Savories
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint
  • Alinea
  • The Complete Keller: The French Laundry Cookbook  Bouchon
  • Canal House Cooks Every Day
  • Fäviken
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • I Love Macarons
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food