Start by marking “Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)

Wild Cards

(Wild Cards #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  17,414 ratings  ·  1,596 reviews
A fresh and fun repackage of Wild Cards, Better Than Perfect launches a romantic new series from NY Times bestselling author Simone Elkeles.

Published October 1st 2013 by Walker Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Wild Cards, please sign up.
Ashlynn Sloan Unfortunately no. the only books right now are perfect chemistry, rules of attraction, and chain reaction. i read all of the books like 3 times. they …moreUnfortunately no. the only books right now are perfect chemistry, rules of attraction, and chain reaction. i read all of the books like 3 times. they are my favorite!(less)
Dayla yes, the other title is just "wild cards" on its own, but they are the same book.

·  17,414 ratings  ·  1,596 reviews

Start your review of Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
Jan 24, 2012 marked it as excited-for
Shelves: wish-list

Dear Grilled Cheesus,

First of all, you're super delicious.
And second thank you so much for answering my prayer for this new series.
Please, Grilled Chessus, please let this new book by Miss Simone be as amazing as the Perfect Chemistry. There should be smokin' hot guys like the Fuentes brothers and utterly sizzling romance scene. Oh and please let me be the girl next to the hot guy on the soon-to-be-cover.

And in return, Mighty Cheesus, I'll make sure I'll honor you by not eating you till I have t
Emily May
Aug 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, romance, arc, 2013
Normally with Ms Elkeles, you know what you're going to get. Nothing too serious, a few touches of cliche, but generally a romance that is sexy, entertaining and filled with hilarious banter. I might not be the ideal reader for this kind of novel, but I confess that I've enjoyed her books in the past and fully expected to find myself a new guilty pleasure with Wild Cards. Well, I'm not sure what happened here but this just doesn't have the compulsive readability of Elkeles' other books. I never ...more
Sandra

5 MIND BLOWN STARS.

tumblr inline mo94a32cc O1qz4rgp

******
“You own a piece of me," he murmurs as he holds me (...).
"Good," I tell him. "And just so you know… I'm never giving it back.”
******

Wow! Guys, what a book! WHAT a book.
It's so good it actually went to my 'favorites shelf', and that in its self is a miracle because there are no books that are flawless, but those on that 'favorites' shelf are freaking damn close.

This was such an emotional read!

tumblr inline mq2hpk X1x B1qz4rgp

I've been waiting to get my hands on Wild Cards ever since i heard a
Samadrita
Yes it was essentially a folly to believe Simone Elkeles could at least provide me with a feel good romance to curl up with during this holiday season when I didn't feel like picking up anything serious.

The writing is so bad that it seems like she made a list of every single horrid stereotype found in YA literature - reformed 'bad boy', good girl, jerk boyfriend, dysfunctional family, instalove/lust - and put them all into a blender. The end product was this.

♥Rachel♥
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-e-book
I’ve been a huge fan of Simone Elkeles since reading Perfect Chemistry, so I was excited (and a little nervous) when I heard she would be coming out with a book! Turns out I didn’t need to be nervous, because Wild Cards ended up being a sweet romance filled with simmering attraction.

Ashtyn is a girl with a plan and the motivation to carry it out. She’s all about football and she’s good enough to be captain of her high school team. A guys team (mostly), mind you. She hopes to be good enough to c
littlebookbosomed bookreview
All of your books that i've read i gave them 5 stars. And i expect this one wont disappointment me as you never did :) SIMONEELKELES FAN STRIKES! I know you wont disappoint me I meant US.

HAHAH! I'm SO HAPPY! Another book from my FAVORITE AUTHOR

Expected publication 2013?!! FOR REAL?!!! I think im going to cry

alt="description"/>

Seriously people? This book hasn't published yet. And you already gave 1-2 stars? Come on people. Have some mercy

*Reading the reviews

30th October

ARGH! I'm wa
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ ✝✝
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing

This book is so sweet, heartwarming and simply brilliant!!!!!! A must-read

Derek Fitzpatrick

photo f195c82d7907fa19067edb2c1a6404bf.jpg

And adorable football player girl, Ashtyn

photo 7d93b7b0cb1cf522376b9b5a16f29447.jpg
 photo girls-football-trick-animation.gif

It is interesting to see how these two have to meet, Derek is Ashytn sister's step-son! Period!
They start off with a fight and hiding each other feelings! As they get to know each other, something between them becomes closer.

" I want to kiss ou so bad right now"
"Do you usually ask a girl, or do you just do it?"
"Usually I just do it"
So what you are wai
Leah
This review will go live on the blog 09/19

Wilds Cards is, unfortunately, a prime example of an intriguing plot that had a horrible execution. Southern boy Derek has found himself in the headmaster's office after a prank-gone-wrong. The prestigious school have given him numerous chances and this is the last straw. After fessing up and taking all of the blame, Derek's told he has 48 hours to gather his things and leave. With his dad stationed overseas and a spacey 25-year old stepmother, Derek isn
Christy
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!!!!

photo a8bfd7db-4ecb-4754-9bfb-ca02337de4e7_zpse0ca9dd6.jpg

Wild Cards was a sweet, fun, light and enjoyable read!

Derek Fitzpatrick and Ashtyn Parker couldn’t be more different if they tried. Derek goes to a private school, well he did... until he got expelled for pulling one too many pranks. His dad is in the Military and his step mom is young. He doesn’t have much supervision, he pretty much does what he pleases. Ashtyn is one of the few female football players out there. She lives with her father, and dates the school’s quarterback. Now
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
A true feel-good book, Wild Cards is the "happily every after" story we all need once in a while. It may have clichés, but you read this book for the sappy, yet edgy romance that it is.

Ashtyn and Derek make up our dual perspective in Wild Cards. I found them both amusing but I connected with Ashtyn the most. Football captain with abandonment issues, she doesn't make things easy on herself. I didn't quite understand why she let her ex-boyfriend get the best of her, however. It was obvious he was
Jasprit
Had you given me this book three years ago, I would have devoured it right up. It was about three years ago that I first read Perfect Chemistry. I thought it was an amazing read, the chemistry that Elkeles had created between Alex and Brittany was tense and smouldering, and I remember staying up until the wee hours finishing it off. Since then I’ve become a real fussy reader and from the first few chapters I’m able to tell whether a book will hit the right spots or not. Wild Cards actually start ...more
Ari
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
So, Elkeles is back and so is my enjoinment for her books.
I had this fear for a second, that I was becoming a bit too old for her stories, but on a second thought: how can one be too old to have fun, right? That’s impossible! Or so I hope.

I assume that many of you are familiar with Simone’s style – I can’t say that her books are emotionally intense or that one might learn something from them.. It is really not the case. In fact, her books can be a hit or a miss, because they are meant for one’s
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Bloomsbury Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.
“I'm tryin' to push you away when all I want to do is hold you. I know you say you don't want a hero, but damn I'd like to be that guy who'll save you from spiders and whatever and whoever else hurts you.”

Despite the glaringly large number of flaws Wild Cards held, I still couldn’t bear to give this anything under 3 stars. Why? Because there's thi
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Very good book. I didn't like it as much as Perfect Chemistry, but I still find Elkeles to have so much energy in her writing. I liked the heck out of Ashtyn and Derek. I can't wrap my mind around how sexual teens are today.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine. http://affairedecoeur.com.
Seena Seena
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-fav-s
Wayyyyyyy to excitable about this new series from Elkeles!!! She is one of my most cherished authors and really looking forward to stepping into this new world she will deliver us.
Andina
Aug 30, 2012 marked it as to-read
OH YEAH bring it on!
Luzie
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I definitly liked this book better than the "Perfect Chemistry"-series by her. Derek was bae, his sarcasm and humor made this book soo much more funnier and easier to read. The bad boy was so cute, and well bad ... obviously! Ashtyn was the norm, but also had a strong and independent side. She was kinda cool, but towards the end she got clingy, in my opinion. Also i wanted to say that Landon is the biggest a-hole on the planet. The storyline was sexy and addictive and had an amazing voice. The i ...more
Ashley
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

Wild Cards was very... meh.

I started the book on good terms. Derek seemed like a troublemaker, but a decent enough guy, and Ashtyn was a cool, tough, tomboy-ish girl. She was apparently really good at football, laid back, and kind of one of the guys. But then this happened:

* Derek wasn't a bad boy at all. He constantly thought he was, but there was no evidence to support that whatsoever.
* Ashtyn became clingy, needy, annoying, and a little pathetic.
* The foot
Stormy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it

Simone Elkeles won my heart over long before Jennifer L. Armentrout.
And I know I get a lot excited and super crazy when JLA's books come out. But Simone's? God. It's 100 x WORSE!
I'm salivating for this shit!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Simone!
Read all her books and LOVED them!
I AM DYING for this!!DYING DYING DYING!!!!!
Nobody pulls my heart strings and makes me all giddy like Mrs. Elkeles can.
AHHHH!
*freaks out*

CAN NOT WAIT FOR OCTOBER FIRST!

*tries to catch breath*

Ahhh! I'm a little disappointed. I was expecti
R.J. Gonzales
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Simone has knocked it out of the park again and has a really great start to a new series!

(Full review to come closer to release date)
Arlene
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
When Derek is expelled from Regents Preparatory Academy in California after pulling a prank during the senior’s graduation ceremony, he’s forced to move with his stepmother to Chicago until his father returns from his tour in the service. The summer ahead of him is sure to be filled with huge adjustments, which he’s prepared to face; that is until he meets his stepmother’s younger sister Ashtyn and the heat is suddenly turned up on his summer plans.

Ashtyn Parker has no idea how drastically her l
Danny
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read Review at Bewitched Bookworms

Simone Elkeles is just an amazing Author and her books just belong to my must-buy-must-read list. I love her contemporary stories and I lover her happy ends. When I found out about her new series about Football players I was barely able to hold back from jumping up and down. Ever since watching Friday Night Lights I am a HUGE fan of American Football!!

Characters made of Awesome!
The story is actually told from two POV, one is Ashlyn and one is Derek…. And .. I
♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties
To think that just yesterday, I was plotting to kidnap a Fuentes brother to keep him in my basement of book boyfriends drooling over the Fuentes brothers.

This book. This new love interest. Everything is just perfect.

Note: If Ms Elkeles does notice that Derek or a Fuentes brother suddenly er... disappears... I swear it wasn't me... Even if the evidence proves otherwise.
Chris-Wait-For-It-Awesome
It would have been a 4 star review if the book had a more fluid feel to it. It was too slow, and then right up to 67% where she decided it was too slow she started running with until my head hurt.
It needed an peilogue (badly) BUT. I liked it a lot. I didn't love it, but I saw the potential.
All in all, a good ya read.
Nikolina
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
So...no emotions, no connection... I had high expectations for this book because I loved previous books, but...this was a big disappointment for me.
It felt rushed, no character development...I just didn't feel it. Sorry. :/
Shannon Moore
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars. I love YA, so maybe I'm just in a mood but this didn't really do it for me. At times it was cute, others it was just sort of meh.
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review also appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Derek is a bad boy who has been unwillingly relocated to Chicago by his ditzy stepmother. He meets his new stepsister, a gorgeous tomboy who is the captain of her football team. Instantly attracted to each other, but not seeming to get along, the two undergo a love/hate relationship throughout the course of the book.

Wild Cards is filled with romance cliches, instant love, to an extremely good looking boy and girl, to an
Gertiebee * the little book bee *

3 Girl-kicking-ass-in-a-boy-dominated-sport Stars

When I was younger, I played a sport called "Aussie rules/ footy" (aka Australian football).

description

I played for fun ( I wasn't good at it ) and dropped out to focus on my passions.

So what am I rambling about this for? Well, this story brought up a memory of a girl I played the game with. She was fantastic at Woman's Aussie football. She was magic on the field, it was her passion and it showed.

But, she faced the same problem as the main charact
Lindsey
Let me first start off with the fact that I am not a football fan at all, so I was very reluctant to read this. I actually hated all the football players in high school, or anyone else who was considered 'popular'.

However, Simone has this divine talent to get me to adore all her teenage angst. This book had pretty much every element I adore in my young adult fiction. Every character I adored, right down to the dippy step-mother. She was dippy but she was endearing. Ashtyn was an amazing lead fe
Lim
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
COVER REVEAL!

Blurb

After getting kicked out of boarding school, bad boy Derek Fitzpatrick has no choice but to live with his ditzy stepmother while his military dad is deployed. Things quickly go from bad to worse when he finds out she plans to move them back to her childhood home in Illinois. Derek’s counting the days before he can be on his own, and the last thing he needs is to get involved with someone else’s family drama.

Ashtyn Parker knows one thing for certain--people you care about le

• Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)
  • Crash into You (Pushing the Limits, #3)
  • Take Me On (Pushing the Limits, #4)
  • Pushing the Limits (Pushing the Limits, #1)
  • Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1)
  • Out of Play
  • Dirty Little Secret
  • Chasing Impossible (Pushing the Limits, #5)
  • Stir Me Up
  • Racing Savannah
  • Walk the Edge (Thunder Road, #2)
  • The Sound of Us (Radio Hearts, #1)
  • Catching Jordan
  • Until Friday Night (The Field Party, #1)
  • Hooked (Hooked, #1)
  • Crossing the Line (Pushing the Limits, #1.1)
  • Faking It (Losing It, #2)
  • Breathe (Sea Breeze, #1)
Simone Elkeles is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of novels for teens. Simone’s books have won many awards including being YALSA Top Ten Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, being named to the YALSA Popular Paperbacks and Teens Top Ten lists, and added to the Illinois “Read for a Lifetime” Reading List. Simone also won the coveted RITA award from the Romance Writers of ...more

Wild Cards (2 books)
  • Wild Crush (Wild Cards, #2)