Start by marking “Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity” as Want to Read:
Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

Sell Your Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide to Marketing & Publicity

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  230 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Promote and Sell Your Work!You've written a book, but if it doesn't sell, what's the point? In "Sell Your Book Like Wildfire," marketing expert Rob Eagar explains how to use the best promotional methods available to get your book noticed and drive sales. You'll learn how to:

- Increase your book sales by driving readers to bookstores and online retailers
- Build a brand that
Published June 7th 2012 by Writer's Digest Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sell Your Book Like Wildfire

Duane Gundrum
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a great marketing book if you're interested in writing nonfiction. If you're interested in writing fiction, then the book plays a shell game with you, trying to convince you it is relevant, but in reality is far from it.

The author expends a great deal of time trying to sell the idea that you need to find a need of your reader, and that once you do you have them in a place that will allow you to sell more books. Like I said, this is great for nonfiction where you're actually deliveri
Tom Franklin
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Rob Eager's book is another "How to Sell Your Book" book, filled with advice and tips. Like most books I've read in this genre, while Eager says his tips are for both non-fiction and fiction authors, most of this advice is squarely for non-fiction writers. And, previously published non-fiction writers at that.

(That Eager chooses to end his book on a chapter devoted to fiction writers only seems to prove my point. That chapter is a combination of rehashing his points throughout the book for ficti
Anne
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
I found only about 1% of the information in this book useful. And he really lost me on page 50 when he writes "Unless you're a world-class writer who can capture readers with your prose, you must get comfortable marketing your message." I found myself shaking my head, saying, "Wait...what??" It made the rest of the book seem like tips to sell garbage because why bother learning craft, writing good prose, when you have all these marketing tools up your sleeve! Also...most of the information in he ...more
Alain Burrese
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
“Sell You Book Like Wildfire: The Writer's Guide To Marketing & Publicity” by Rob Eagar is a good book for any writer to use to help with marketing and promotional efforts. After all, writing the book is only part of the battle, selling it can often be more difficult than writing it in the first place. Eagar, the founder of WildFire Marketing, a consulting practice that helps authors and publishers sell more books and spread their message, has put the information he's used to help himself an ...more
Doug Dillon
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I’ve read on book marketing. Rob Edgar, who also serves as a consultant in this field, has really put together an up-to-date and very practical guide as a resource for writers. If you are out there selling your books, I highly recommend you buy, beg, or borrow a copy of this one.

The organization of Sell Your Book Like Wildfire is excellent and leads you carefully step-by-step in creating a great marketing plan. Rob’s writing is clear and liberally sprinkled very hel
Leanne Shirtliffe
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
The *best* book on marketing your book that I've ever read (and I've read a few). This is a must-have for every writer of non-fiction (and I suspect for many fiction writers too). If you're in the proposal stage, it will help make your book concept that much clearer. If you're in the selling stage, it will help you get more speaking gigs, more interviews, and sell more books.
Marsha Hinton
Since I don't know a thing about selling/marketing and am not comfortable with the conventional methods, I found Selling Your Book like Wildfire to be very good advice. The stuff that I have implemented seems to be working and it is a much more comfortable approach for me.
Yanne Albert
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The information applies for both fiction and non-fiction books so it is resourceful for everyone in the publishing industry. Though some of the information is a bit outdated so I would like to read a new version.
Also all of the information should be taken with analytical mind. For example some of the methods (like printed newsletters) would never work in my country - so when reading the book, keep in mind your options and environment.
As a yet-to-be-published writer whose readers base is around 2
Eric Lee
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
Rob Eagar's book is actually a very good introduction to the subject of book marketing for authors. Though lacking in specifics on some things (like how to get speaking gigs), his emphasis is on practical steps like building an author's website, getting media interviews, and so on. He's acutely aware of the fact that in today's market, publishers expect authors to do much more to generate sales of their books, and the days are long gone when an author's work was done when the manuscript was subm ...more
Katrina Bos
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great book filled with amazing tips for getting your book into the hands of people who truly want it the most!
Ross Lampert
Jun 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: marketing
Let me be clear: this rating is about the book’s value to fiction writers. For non-fiction writers, I might give the book 3.5 to 4 stars, but I don’t write non-fiction books.

It’s clear that Rob Eagar knows and cares about promoting non-fiction books. Virtually the entire book is dedicated to that work. But while Eagar claims to have successfully helped a few fiction authors promote their books, there is little advice for fiction writers, and what there is is often plopped in as if it was an afte
Angela Blount
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
Something like a 3 1/2 star... I rounded up because it's all well explained and not a slog to read.

I think this is probably a great introduction to book marketing for those who initially know next to nothing about the process. Personally, I felt a lot of the basic info was a repeat of things I'd already gleaned from countless online articles and workshops I've taken in over the last two years. My greatest complaint would actually be that it seems so geared toward writers of non-fiction--though
Mark
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after seeing Rob at a writer's conference almost a year ago. I didn't start reading it until just recently (because I do have this habit of buying more books than I can ever consume), but quite enjoyed the approach he took in the book -- it brought me back to the way he had inspired me in his talk; and that's a fundamental strategy he comes back to throughout this book, reminding me of the core reasons WHY I felt inspired as a writer and inspired to buy the book from him when ...more
Michael Price
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm a new author that just released my first book 3 months ago, I found myself at the brink of hopelessness. Just last weekend, I was on the verge of giving up after investing an entire year writing and publishing my 1st book. This all changed when I read this book. I just finished it after reading it in 3 days. It is fantastic! It's such a breath of fresh air finding a How-To non-fiction book from an author who isn't spitting out theory, but instead is providing real answers to real problems th ...more
Jim Rossi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found this book kind of trite and geared toward novelists and sometimes-scammy self-help kinds of writers. As a professional writer of serious nonfiction who's written for national and international publications, I felt like it was mostly talking past me. I really liked "Guerrilla Marketing for Writers" and Kawasaki's "Author, Publisher, Entrepreneur" much more. Campbell-Scott's "Goodreads for Authors" is also news-you-can-use, and have become great resources for my own first book, "The Case o ...more
Nirrvana
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was a used as a text in my New Media class for my degree in Creative Writing. While it is starts from a place much further along than I am currently as a writer, I have no doubt that it will be useful when I begin to pursue publication.

It also contains important information those of us who are just starting. There were things I never thought to incorporate, at this early stage, into my my thoughts as I work on my manuscript and I'm thankful I now know better.

Whether you are a novice wr
David Kirby
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have just finished the book “Sell your Book like Wildfire” by Rob Eagar. It was everything I hoped it would be. Well written, concise and inspirational. The book was constructed in such a way that I was able to decant items to work with immediately as well as future strategies to plan for.

Now that I have read it once, I will work through it again taking further notes. I wholeheartedly recommend this work and I am sure like me you will not regret the time invested implementing the myriad of ide
Meghan Pinson
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: publishing
I met Rob Eager at the Writers Digest Conference in Hollywood a few months ago and was blown away by his presentation on making a great author website. His advice and examples were excellent and easy to follow, and I bought his book the next day. It's the single best resource I've found so far on how to establish and expand your author platform, and I highly recommend it for writers planning to publish.
Michael Powell
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
I've read many books on an author connecting to his reader, and this is probably the best. Rob Eagar has a servant's heart and sees writing as a means of making the world a better place. He instructs authors on how to reach more people so they can shape the world for the better themselves.

His techniques and strategies are easy to understand, logically laid out, and best of all, come with data that shows the scope of success one might expect when applying them.

Great read!
Adam Gellert
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was recommended this book by my editor when I was about to launch my own book, and it was a great book for any author looking for ways to market their book. I loved the analogy of starting a wildfire and ways someone gets a wildfire going, starting with kindling.

While many of the recommendations made were already things I had done to market the book, I think every author will take away enough new information and nuggets of value to make this a recommended buy!
Erica Mbasan
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource. I wish I had time to implement every strategy mentioned, but I'm not a full-time author. Regardless though, the information and advice is invaluable and I definitely learned so much. I was able to make changes on my website mainly and I have good ideas incase I write another book. I would highly recommend this book to any new or unrecognized author, whether they are self published or went with traditional publishing.
S.C. Barrus
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-marketing
This was a fantastic book on marketing for authors and one I'll come back and read again in a year or two. Even thought I'm not quite at the point in may career where a lot of this information applies, I still found actionable steps I can take to market myself, as well as found a few things that I'm probably doing wrong. When my novel is finally released later this year, I'll be well positioned to tackle some of the more advanced marketing tactics.
Perky Texan
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book packed with tons of helpful info. It is definitely more helpful for non-fiction than fiction books. I'm already putting several of the concepts into practice, and have completely marked it up and dog-earned many pages - tons of ideas to digest. We'll see when my book comes out in November - the proof will be in the pudding . . .
Gary Westfal
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lot of the marketing strategies I use to showcase my books and speeches I learned from this book. I'm really happy I ran across this book to help me understand the many facets of marketing and really neat tips and tricks I've used to help promote myself. Highly recommended to anyone selling anything, especially books!
Amy Stilgenbauer
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of unique and creative advice that comes from a very clever standpoint - different than most book marketing approaches I have read. The fiction chapter is a bit of a retread of advice I've seen elsewhere, but fiction writers are likely to find a lot of value in the nonfiction focused chapters if they think outside the box.
Amy Young
For anyone who is interested in publishing books and earning a bit of money by doing so .... this is a must read. Of all the books I've read on writing (quite a few in the last two years), this is the one I now most recommend. One area I hadn't seen addressed in others books is how to write value statements that will help promote your book. So glad I bought this!
Mark Speed
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I really took a liking to the author - he came across as a real human being.

This is a valuable guide to marketing your book; fiction or non-fiction. Just a word of warning if you're a novelist: it's a great deal harder to market fiction than it is non-fiction, so don't expect any magic answers or shortcuts.
Sundi
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the BEST books you'll ever read on learning how to market and sell your book. Full of so much helpful information I don't even know where to start. Some of his principles I've already applied, and others I can't wait to get started on. This book is worth every penny and is a MUST for anyone wanting to invest in their writing career.
Michael Stringer
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very useful book with some great ideas, but I found it far more geared toward non-fiction authors. It's still worth a read even if you're a novelist, however. The author takes a different, fresh approach to marketing and promotion that will definitely ignite some fires in your mind. Well done.
Tabitha Tomala
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This really is a wonderful book for writers. It has so much information on breaking into the market and making yourself known. It is, however, very much based around nonfiction books. Granted there is a chapter about selling fiction, but predominantly the tactics in the book could not help me personally. I still recommend it as a must read as it helped me build my website and supporting channels.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Get Known Before the Book Deal: Use Your Personal Strengths to Grow an Author Platform
  • Book Proposals That Sell: 21 Secrets to Speed Your Success
  • Break Into Fiction: 11 Steps to Building a Story That Sells
  • Create Your Writer Platform: The Key to Building an Audience, Selling More Books, and Finding Success as an Author
  • Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Writing Fiction for All You're Worth: Strategies and Techniques for Taking Your Fiction to the Next Level
  • Writers Book of Matches: 1,001 Prompts to Ignite Your Fiction
  • Blueprint Your Bestseller: Organize and Revise Any Manuscript with the Book Architecture Method
  • Between the Lines: Master the Subtle Elements of Fiction Writing
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
  • How to Write a Book Proposal
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • Description & Setting
  • Your Life as Story: Discovering the "new Autobiography" and Writing Memoir as Literature
  • Writer with a Day Job: Inspiration & Exercises to Help You Craft a Writing Life Alongside Your Career
  • The Portable MFA in Creative Writing