Start by marking “The Lottery” as Want to Read:
The Lottery

The Lottery

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  39,999 Ratings  ·  1,614 Reviews
The people of a village perform their annual lottery, with startling consequences for the recipient of the one paper with the black spot.
Library Binding, 32 pages
Published October 1992 by Creative Education (first published June 26th 1948)

To ask other readers questions about The Lottery, please sign up.

STEPHEN MACPHERSON CONFORMITY GONE WRONG IS A POPULAR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THIS STORY. THE LOTTERY IS JUST AN ACCEPTED PART OF THIS TOWN, LIKE TURKEY IS AN…moreCONFORMITY GONE WRONG IS A POPULAR ANSWER FOR WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THIS STORY. THE LOTTERY IS JUST AN ACCEPTED PART OF THIS TOWN, LIKE TURKEY IS AN ACCEPTED PART OF THANKSGIVING. HOW DOES IT CHANGE? JUST ONE PERSON FROM THAT TOWN HAS SIMPLY TO REFUSE TO TAKE PART. WHO IN THE TOWN HAS THE COURAGE TO STAND AGAINST TRADITION? WHO HAS THE COURAGE TO SERVE SOMETHING OTHER THAN TURKEY ON THANKSGIVING? IT ONLY TAKES ONE PERSON...(less)
Chocolate Panda maybe these :)

"My pledge of allegiance (The sealed fate)" by After forever
"World of fantasy" by Helloween
"Killing in the name of" by Rage against the…more
maybe these :)

"My pledge of allegiance (The sealed fate)" by After forever
"World of fantasy" by Helloween
"Killing in the name of" by Rage against the machine(less)

Lola  Reviewer

I read this for my English class at CEGEP and started a required essay on it. It seriously made me think of The Hunger Games at first, but now I'm more focused on another message: how blindly people in society can follow certain rules/traditions/rituals without questioning them. I love how unprecise the setting is, making us realize that it is something that can happen anywhere and adds a feeling of timelessness to the story. The characters are boring, but I like how Tessie has something to say
Huda Yahya

المراجعة بها حرق للأحداث
-------------
يبدو مشهدا عاديا للغاية
فأهل قرية صغيرة قد التفوا في يوم اليانصيب السنوي الذي يبدو شيئا معتادا وجالبا لكثير من الفرحة والتوقعات
ولكن الأمر ليس كما يبدو

وهو يبدو تقليدا راسخ
Cecily
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cecily by: Apatt
A short story with a nasty sting, that leaves you questioning human nature. I also note now that this is review #666!

Like Ursula Le Guin’s The Ones Who Walked Away from Omelas (which I reviewed HERE), it opens idyllically:
The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green. The people of the village began to gather…”, in this case, for the annual public lottery. And like Omelas, there is
Tammy Walton Grant
How do you rate something that keeps you from sleeping?

I know that I thought it was brilliantly done; Jackson set the tone so well. She paints a bright, cheerful picture to start. It's a beautiful sunny day and the whole town is gathering, like for a town picnic. They're drawing for something, you think, I wonder what that is.

It's not until the 5th last paragraph that Jackson pulls the rug out from under your feet - and so quickly that I had to re-read the pivotal line about three times before
Lyn
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic of stoic, gothic horror yet with a twist that leaves the reader thinking.

Like any great short story, this demonstrates the power of that medium by brutal efficiency. Subtle, but the Lottery also reveals Jackson's talent for characterization.

A chilling allegory: there is value in tradition but beware blind faith.

Petra Eggs
Really hackneyed dystopian story that has been written a thousand times. (view spoiler) ...more
Foad
راجع به ترجمه ی احمد گلشیری، هر چی بگم کم گفتم. نثر بسیار بسیار روون، کاملاً مسلط به زبان، استفاده از کلمات درست. به نظرم یکی از بهترین مترجم های حال حاضره.

اما تمام این ها ربطی به داستان نداشت.
راجع به داستان هر چی بگم، لو میره و تمام زیباییش از بین میره. صفحات داستان خیلی زیاد نیست و فقط ده دوازده صفحه است و در عرض ده دقیقه می تونید بخونید، ولی لذتش، تا مدت ها باقی میمونه. فقط توصیه میکنم قبلش مقدمه ی داستان رو نخونید. همچنین هیچ ریویویی رو نخونید، مطلقا، و حتی کامنت های همین ریویو هم تا حدّی لو
Fatima
ﻣﻴﮕﻦ ﺟﻮﻭﻧﺎ ﺧﺎﻡ ﻭ ﺍﺣﻤﻘﻦ ﻭ ﺳﻨﺖ ﻫﺎ ﺭﻭ ﻣﻴﺸﻜﻨﻦ ﻭ ﺻﺮﻓﺎ ﻗﺎﺗﻞ ﺳﻨﺖ ﻫﺎﻥ . ﺍﺯ ﺍﻳﻨﻜﻪ ﻳﻚ ﺟﻮﻭﻥ ﺍﺣﻤﻖ ﻭ ﺳﻨﺖ ﺷﻜﻦ ﺗﻮﻱ ﺍﻳﻞ ﻭ ﻃﺎﻳﻔﻪ ﺍﻡ ﻫﺴﺘﻢ ﻭ ﻫﻤﻴﺸﻪ ﺑﻮﺩﻡ ﺑﻪ ﺧﻮﺩﻡ ﺍﻓﺘﺨﺎﺭ ﻣﻴﻜﻨﻢ .ﺯﻧﺪﮔﻲ ﺟﻮﺍﻥ ﺍﻣﺮﻭﺯﻱ ﻧﺒﺎﻳﺪ ﺑﺎ ﻫﺮ ﺳﻨﺖ ﻛﻮﻛﻮﺭﺍﻧﻪ ﻱ ﻗﺪﻳﻤﻲ ﺍﻱ ﺑﻪ ﺳﻴﺎﻫﻲ ﻛﺸﻴﺪﻩ ﺑﺸﻪ ...
ﺍﻳﻦ ﺣﺴﻲ ﺑﻮﺩ ﻛﻪ ﺑﻌﺪ ﺧﻮﻧﺪﻥ ﺍﻳﻦ ﺩﺍﺳﺘﺎﻥ ﻛﻮﺗﺎﻩ ﺩﺍﺭﻡ ...

ﺗﻠﺦ ﻭ ﻛﻮﺗﺎﻩ ﻭ ﻭﺣﺸﻴﺎﻧﻪ ﺑﻮﺩ ! ﻟﻄﻔﺎ ﻧﺨﻮﺍﻧﻴﺪ ! ﺧﻄﺮ ﺧﻮﺭﺩ ﺷﺪﻥ ﺍﻋﺼﺎﺏ ﺭﺍ ﺩﺭ ﭘﻲ ﺩﺍﺭﺩ !
Matthias
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matthias by: Traveller
Shelves: my-reviews
If lotteries are supposed to be so fair, why don't they ever feel that way?

I just re-read this story as it is the first one in the Brave New Worlds collection. I gave it an extra star as a result. Knowing exactly what's going to happen gives reading this an additional dimension of eeriness, so I'd definitely recommend reading and coming back to this one at a later date. Not only because of its major influence on later dystopias, but also because of the way it draws you in. In the course of just
Algernon
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

After reading my first novel by Shirley Jackson ("We Have Always Lived In The Castle"), I came across references to a 'famous' short story that started a major hubbub in the newspaper that first published it. Unfortunately, I also came across spoilers for what the story is about, so it's impact was somewhow lessened.
Thus, I will not review it here, hoping some other reader might still come with a fresh mind to it.

I will only mention it is worth reading, it shows the author's distinctive touch of
♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
I should thank my high school lit teacher for making us read this story and scaring the shit out of us back then. I still read this from time to time and I've recommended it to a bunch of friends and it still manages to creep the hell out of me.

And while there had been many other stories with similar premise (sort of) since then, The Lottery still stands as one of the yardstick in this genre. It's only about 30 pages long but the story itself is rich in symbolism, proving that less is more. I h
Brina
Shirley Jackson's classic short story The Lottery is perhaps the basis for The Hunger Games, which is hardly a favorite of mine. Jackson use of prose has me at the edge of my seat and has be eagerly awaiting the ending. The use of language merits a 5 but for me the story is grotesque so the whole story earns a 3. I can see here, however, why Jackson is highly regarded as an author, but her stories are most definitely not my taste.
Kevin Ansbro
This seemingly innocuous short story wafted into my consciousness with a halcyon pastoral scene; an English village on a summer's day, suffused with the scent of blossoming flowers and fresh-cut grass. I could almost taste the cucumber sandwiches and the jam scones.
But there is a deeper level to the seemingly twee storyline. An allegory stealthily unfolds that immediately put me in mind of The Lord of the Flies.
Shirley Jackson's fictitious village, like the island in William Golding's book, seem
Diane
I read this short story again recently and was struck, as ever, by Jackson's mastery. It's only about 10 pages long, and every word is perfect. It would make my list of the best short stories ever written.

"The Lottery" opens in a village in late June, and the 300 citizens are assembling in the town square. Each family stands together and the head of the household must draw a piece of paper from a black box. We learn that the lottery has something to do with a good harvest, but the true meaning o
Rachel Reads Ravenously
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rachel Reads Ravenously by: ♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
Well that was a bit of a mindfuck! I asked on Facebook for horror recommendations and Geri rec'd me this one. Geri, I'll be sending you the bill for my new therapy sessions after this! Jkjk.

The Lottery starts out innocently, in fact if I hadn't known it was a horror/spooky story I never would have suspected it would go where it did. Considering this is only a few pages it's one of the best written short stories I've ever read. I have got to read more by this author.

Are you intrigued? I DARE you
Leonard
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Shirley Jackson’s The Lottery, though the stoning reminds us of the Old Testament punishment, its original intent has long been forgotten. We view with horror at the barbarity and insanity of the custom, just as we consider the Romans barbaric for entertaining themselves with gladiators. But perhaps a visitor to the U.S. without previous exposure may find American football, shoulders banging into heads and players piling on top of each other, also “barbaric and insane.”

Shirley Jackson
Shirley Jackson

We do no
Mohsin Maqbool
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description
"The morning of June 27th was clear and sunny, with the fresh warmth of a full-summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green." But how can the faces of the villagers be so forlorn and grim on such a beautiful day!?

I HAD come to know towards the fag end of last year only that Shirley Jackson writes tales of terror. She is supposed to build the suspense slowly and steadily, often taking you by surprise towards the end. So when I started reading "The Lottery" toda
Becky
Hmm. Well.

*sigh*

Shirley Jackson and I have this thing. I want to like her stories, and I get all "Yay! I'm going to just LOVE this one because THIS is the story that people think of when they think of Shirley Jackson!"... except, that's kind of been all of them, and they all have let me down in some way.

This one... well... I think it needed more violence. The climax was just kind of "...andthenthishappenedtheend." It needed more oomph. More, "Holy shit are you kidding me? WTF!"

Oh yes, yes, I
Mario
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.

This is the second time I've read this story and, again, it scared the crap out of me. Without a doubt, my favorite short story.
Layton
This is my eighth (I think?) Review Month review.

****************************************

I'm not going into this plot much. I'll just say that it concerns a ritual that a village performs every year to bring in good crops.

The ending is shocking.

I'll sum it up with this Bad Luck Brian meme:

Priyanka
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
Did that just happen? Did I read it right?

Fuck.
Kels
The present day parallels and implications of The Lottery are astounding and thought-provoking when taken the time to truly analyze the symbolisms, motifs, and themes of this searingly chilling short story. Admittedly, the prose does suffer from being a bit on the dull side, and it wasn't until after reading the last page that I began to look at things from hindsight and truly appreciate just how subliminally poignant and meaningfully crafted the words are, and just how brilliant this story is.

Paula W
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in middle school many, many years ago. At a time in my life when I was more innocent and naive - decades before The Hunger Games - I remember being completely shocked and freaked out. The Lottery is the first thing I recall reading that had an unexpected twist at the end. I immediately read it again to make sure I read what I thought I read and to figure out where I missed the clues.

The idea is a bit overdone now in 2017. People reading this for the first time today will proba
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Available as a free PDF.

"Is that it?" was my first thought upon finishing. The only thing saving this is the thought that it was written in 1948, post-WWII. Wartime involved conscription, a national lottery picking random men to become soldiers and sending them to die. Thinking of The Lottery in light of this, and the complicit conformity and reluctance to abandon tradition, together with the similarity to The Hunger Games, provided enough context for me to appreciate this short story.
Amin
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-storie, fiction
دیشب قبل خواب این داستان رو خوندم و لحظه پایان واقعا منو شوکه کرد. در مورد این داستان میشه خیلی چیزها نوشت، اما توصیه میکنم بدون مطالعه هیچ مطلب و نقدی در موردش این داستان رو بخونید، هیجان و شوکش رو تجربه کنید، فکر کنید و بعد سراغ نقدها و ریویوها برید. حقیقتش اینه که دو سه صفحه پایانی واقعا ضربان قلبم بالا برد
Mahsa
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-blowing
وات دِ هِل؟

همه ش دوازده سیزده صفحه ی ناقابله، اما من هنوز با خوندن آخرین صفحه دارم دست و پا می زنم از این داستان بیرون بیام.
تو یه روستا یه قرعه کشی می خواد برگزار بشه، یه قانون قدیمی و انعطاف ناپذیر، یه رسم هرساله. ما هیچ چیز نمیدونیم؛ که این قرعه کشی در رابطه با چیه، یا هدفش چیه. ما فقط میون ساکنین روستا چرخ کوتاهی خواهیم زد تا قرعه کشی انجام بشه.
اما آروم آروم متوجه میشیم که شاید باید از هدف اون قرعه کشی بترسیم. دیگه چیزی نمیگم، همه ی جذابیتش به اینه که خودتون بخونید، و شوکه بشید، و خیلی احساسا
Sara Kamjou
داستان جالب، درناک و شوکهکنندهای بود. نویسنده در قالب داستانی اغراقآمیز، ذهن ما رو برای ادامه دادن به سنتهایی که حتی دلیلی براشون وجود نداره یا بیهوده به نظر میرسن و حتی ممکنه به ما آسیب بزنن رو به چالش میکشونه.
علت اینکه شاید این داستان برای من نسبت به بقیه کمتر جذاب بود یکی کوتاه بودنش بود و دوم اینکه من رو یاد اوایل کتاب هانگر گیمز یا همون عطش مبارزه انداخت و شاید به همین دلیل غافلگیریش برام کم بود.
در مجموع ارزش خوندن داره و جالب بود.
FeReSHte
فضا سرد و یکنواخت بود.تا چند خط آخر مشخص نبود خواننده به کجا برده میشه و اتفاق خاصی نمیفتاد. آدم های معمولی یک روستا تو مرکز روستا جمع شدند و خودشون رو برای انجام مراسم قرعه کشی سالانه آماده می کنند قرعه کشی برای چی؟ ما نمی دونیم! حداقل تا رسیدن به چند خط آخر ازش بی خبریم. تا شروع رسمی مراسم کم کم همه میان، ساکنانی که ما چیز زیادی ازشون نمی دونیم جز اسمشون و این که نمونه ی تیپیکال یک روستایی هستن. هیچ کدوم از افراد برامون برجسته نیستند همه شخصیت ها یکدستند و تو یک سطح قرار می گیرند. نمی دونیم آ ...more
Connie
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story is chilling, and very well written.
(view spoiler)
Traveller
I think the story, especially at the time of publication, achieved what it set out to do - of course the idea is a bit passe by now, but at the time it must have been something new, fresh and shocking, if public reaction to it is anything to go by.
Catching up on Cl...: March 2017 - The Lottery 95 144 Mar 22, 2017 01:44AM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. * The Lottery 1 32 Jan 31, 2017 06:49AM
The Lottery 3 35 Oct 11, 2015 01:12PM
Morales 2341 Spri...: "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson 52 74 Feb 27, 2015 08:03PM
  • The Story of an Hour
  • The Lady or the Tiger? And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
  • The Tell-Tale Heart
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
  • The Yellow Wall-Paper
  • A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • Bullet in the Brain
  • The Most Dangerous Game
  • Hills Like White Elephants
  • All Summer in a Day
Shirley Jackson was an influential American author. A popular writer in her time, her work has received increasing attention from literary critics in recent years. She has influenced such writers as Stephen King, Nigel Kneale, and Richard Matheson.

She is best known for her dystopian short story, "The Lottery" (1948), which suggests there is a deeply unsettling underside to bucolic, smalltown Ameri
More about Shirley Jackson...

“Although the villagers had forgotten the ritual and lost the original black box, they still remembered to use stones.” 23 likes
“It isn't fair, it isn't right," Mrs. Hutchinson screamed, and then they were upon her.” 4 likes