Start by marking “Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple, #1)

Death at Wentwater Court (Daisy Dalrymple #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  5,865 Ratings  ·  535 Reviews

No stranger to sprawling country estates, well-heeled Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground at Wentwater Court to cover a story for Town & Country magazine. But her interview gives way to interrogation when suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a chilly end on the tranquil skating pond.

With evidence that his death was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotl

Published by Robinson (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Death at Wentwater Court, please sign up.

Sharon B If we're not allowed to say this I apologize in advance, but when I want an older book in actual book form, I go to thriftbooks.com for used books.

Jaylia3
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This lighthearted Downton Abbey era 1920’s mystery totally charmed me. Daisy Dalrymple comes from a titled family, but after her brother was killed in the Great War and her father died in the flu epidemic their estate passed to a distant relative (shades of Jane Austen!) leaving the remaining female family members somewhat impoverished. Daisy is quite cheerful about working for a living though, and being a society girl doors open for her, so she’s off to Wentwater Court to to write a story for T ...more
Leah
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, new-to-me, 2014
An entertaining cosy...

It’s 1923, and the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has broken with tradition by getting a job. Hired by an up-market magazine to write articles on stately homes, her aristocratic background is useful in allowing her to mingle on an equal footing with the owners and their families. So as the book begins, Daisy is on her way to stay at Wentwater Court, home of the Earl of Wentwater.

Daisy is not the only guest and she soon finds that the house is filled w
Veronica
A comfortable enough historical cozy with likable characters, most notably the Honourable Daisy Dalrymple who hasn't let drastic changes in her family's fortunes get her down. The mystery behind the murder was interesting enough but failed to find traction as the mystery is eventually solved through confession as opposed to any specific sleuthing. The ending also was a bit of a disappointment due to my feeling that the author let everyone off far too easily. Or maybe I just like a bit more darkn ...more
Leslie
Mostly enjoyable first book in a cozy mystery series set in England during the 1920s. I did find myself questioning some of the slang used (such as a maid in a country house saying "wizard" to mean 'cool', 'neat', 'exciting' -- I know that this term originated in the early 1920s but it seems out of place for this character).

I also had some problems with the ending. (view spoiler)
Cassandra
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anfangs ziemlich viele Charaktere, aber dann hatte mich die Story.
Annegret
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ein unterhaltsamer britischer Krimi!
Karen ⊰✿
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good start to a cozy mystery series. Daisy is an unintentional amateur sleuth from a noble background who needs to earn money. Which means that in 1923 Britain she is able to relate to the "working" andf "noble" classes.
If you enjoy this time period and cozy mystery books I certainly recommend it. The audio narration is quite good too
Aerykah
This book was pretty good... I wish I had time to say more about it, but I don't. :/

Warning: there is some bad language in this one.
Blücher Bücher Blog
Wenn auch nicht spannend, ist dieser Krimi charmant und unterhaltsam. Ihr erster Fall führt die 25-jährige Miss Daisy im tiefsten Winter nach Wentwater Court. Dort wird der unsympathische Lord Stephen tot im zugefrorenen See aufgefunden. Alle glauben bzw. hoffen, es sei ein Unfall. Doch Miss Daisy weiß es besser. Zusammen mit den feschen Chief Inspector von Scotland Yard nimmt sie die Ermittlungen auf und beweist einigen Einfallsreichtum.
Hannah
A very enjoyable first installment in the Daisy Dalrymple series, one that would definitely please fans of historical mysteries. This, I think, is one of those series that are far better read in order. I had actually picked up Dead in the Water (Book 6) by mistake a long time ago and remember not liking it half as much as I liked this one. In hindsight, I realize it's because the latter books jump straight into the mystery without much backstory, and you barely know either Daisy or Alec (as most ...more
Olga Godim
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Reading this book was pure, unmitigated pleasure. Although it is the first novel of the series, it’s not the first Daisy Dalrymple mystery I’ve read. I have already read several others in no particular order and I have to admit: I enjoyed them all. I love the lead characters, I love the setting – England in the 1920s – and I absolutely adore Carola Dunn’s easy and expressive writing style. Especially her sweet British vocabulary, which makes the experience of reading her novels so delightful.
In
Kathleen
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Daisy Dalrymple series set in England in 1923 fills in many of the details of Daisy’s background. First, her losses – her dear brother Gervaise’s death in WWI, her fiancé Michael’s death, her father’s death from the deadly influenza epidemic, and her family home passing on to the next male heir, a cousin.
Faced with living with her cousin and her “ghastly” mother, Daisy, daughter of a Viscount, chooses to move in with her photographer friend, Lucy Fotheringay and bear the di
Amy
I have indulged in quite a few detective novels recently and this one is my favorite so far. I get why people refer to it as a "cozy." Its a comfortable read, light and fun but still puzzling. Who killed Lord Astwick? Everyone has a motive but our flapper-turned-journalist heroine. I liked Daisy's character, she's charming. I like Chief Inspector Alec, who lets be honest, reminded me of Chief Inspector Jack Robinson from Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (the show, not those awful books.)
Hettie
This is a nice gentle read. A great choice is you do not want anything too challenging.

It is set in the 1920's and I grew to really like Daisy. I did really hate the resolution to the case but maybe it is true to the time period it is set in I am not sure. The few pages did reassure me about other books in the series.

This is not a series that I will go and buy myself but I will actively look for them in the library and charity shops so I can continue Daisy's story.
Andree
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. A fairly standard cozy mystery, but I enjoyed it. I like Daisy. She's perky without crossing a line over into obnoxious. I enjoy her as aspiring magazine writer, perhaps one day novelist. I also really like her dynamic with Detective Alec.

Also, liked the lack of peril.

Don't have a lot to say about this - it wiled away a few hours.
Erin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Light and fun!
Alisha Trenalone
Aristocratic magazine writer Daisy Dalrymple shows up at a country house to do research for an article. But she gets sidetracked when the most unliked guest at the house turns up mysteriously dead one morning.

Daisy and Alec Fletcher, the Chief Inspector sent down from Scotland Yard, work together to take statements of all the suspects and figure out whodunnit. Clear setup for those two to continue to work together in future books.

Enjoyed about two-thirds of this book; the resolution was spread
Blue
Aug 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Y
Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn

Death At Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn

For a long time I have wanted to start the Carola Dunn series. Finally, I have finished the first book in the series, "Death At Wentwater Court." The first book is very good. I have already put the second book of the series on hold at the library.

My one misgiving was that at the beginning there were so many characters being thrown at me. I worried whether it would be necessary to write the characters names down on pape
Jessie
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Ugh. Well that was a flat story.Flat like an opened Coke bottle that has resided in the fridge for over a week, and in a moment of desperation for something sweet and refreshing you lunge for said beverage and gulp it down, only to fall weeping to the floor as you try to scrape away the sensation of fizz-less syrup congealing to your tongue, and no feeling of satisfaction to be found anywhere.

I thought I could happily get away with reading a fun, light, mystery. One that happened to be magically
Christa
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was my first book by Carola Dunn, and I was entertained by it. This book reminded me of the current "Royal" series by Rhys Bowen. I enjoyed the character of Daisy Dalrymple, as well as that of Detective Alec Fletcher. I like historical mysteries, so am glad to have found this entertaining series.

Daisy Dalrymple, daughter of a viscount, has elected to work in the early 1920's rather than be dependant upon family members. She heads to Wentwater Court to write a magazine article, but shortly a
Peter
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes these are not the greatest pieces of writing and who cares. I read these because after reading rather heavy on the mind books, these are a way of letting off steam. They are a simple fun read, bizarre and off kilter, easy on the brain murder mysteries.

A feet up cuppa tea book to chill and unwind...
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook performed by Bernadette Dunn

Daisy Dalrymple is the daughter of a Viscount, but she has made the rather shocking decision to make her own way as a writer. She lands an assignment for a series of magazine articles on country manor houses, and finds herself at Wentwater Court in January 1923 to begin research on her first piece. Lord Wentwater’s young wife has recently been the focus of some unwanted amorous attention, and several guests express obvious jealousy and animosity. So
George
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1 in the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple, magazine writer and heiress (no inheritance due to British entailed system) mystery series. January 2, 1925, 25 year old fledgling journalist Daisy embarks on her first writing assignment for Town and Country magazine to do a review of the Wentwater Court. But her planned interviews with the inhabitants of Wentwater Court go astray with what appears to be the accidental death of a guest with an exceedingly unsavory reputation. With the arrival Scotland Yard c ...more
Megan
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Likable main characters, but a fairly predictable mystery*. The pacing fell apart in the last 3 or 4 chapters with an unnecessarily long explanation of what transpired before that point and what was going to happen to the culprit.

Since the main character was not irritating, I probably would try another in the series in hopes of an improved mystery.

*Listened to the audiobook on a road trip with my husband and another friend. We dissected the story as we went, which may have made it easier to fi
Linda
I just love this series...it is really good.

I give this book 5/5 Stars here on Goodreads. I would highly recommend this Series to anybody that loves a good ole Mystery set in England. There are 22 Books in this Series and this is Book #1 in the series.

I have put in a request for Book #2 at my local Library.

Happy Reading :)
An Odd1
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fan
2 Jan 1923 p 10. Honorable Daisy Dalrymple 25 p 10 "sparkle in her blue eyes" p 177 prefers to work for prestigious Town and Country magazine after her father dies. "A sad loss to the House of Lords. That wretched influenza decimated our ranks" p 23. Her aristocratic position allows her to be assertive, write about exclusive estates. For photos, she bows to an imaginary Mr Carswell "down with the flu" p 23. Her mother will never forgive cousin Edgar for inheriting Fairacres.

Lady Marjorie Beddow
Jayne Catherine pinkett
This is April's choice for Catherine's cosy crime read on my booktube channel. please feel free to join in.

Not totally feeling attached to this at the moment!!
So glad I persevered. I ended up really enjoying this.
I started to like Daisy's character too. note in my booktube cosy crime wrap up. 3.5-4*
Kathleen
OKAY LET'S TALK ABOUT THE DAISY DALRYMPLE SERIES. Seriously, I love this series, I'm excited, are you excited? GET EXCITED.

So the first thing I want to say is that the Daisy Dalrymple series is somewhat misnamed, as Daisy's not the only protagonist (though I LOVE HER and she is perfect). She shares the series with her eventual husband Alec Fletcher. I'd call that a spoiler, but, uh, well, they get engaged in book five (of twenty-two) and you can pretty much see it coming from the end of the firs
Helen
I'm still not sure what to make of this series. It is a little Peter Wimseyish in that it is a well born non-police investigator working in the early 1920s, but Daisy is an example of what happens when a title fails to produce a male heir, or loses the one he's produced. There were probably a number of lapsed titles after the the First War and Daisy is the sister of one of the deceased heirs. When her father dies she could live with her mother in the dower house (she's lucky there is a dower hou ...more
BJ
This was a little different type of read for me. I had seen this series recommended on various blogs and reader sites but I almost didn't try it because it was described as a "cozy" and other than a very few, I don't tend to like "cozies." The main characters are usually too silly for me, going off after murderers and kidnappers and such without telling anyone where they are going and without any type of protection. Eventually I read this book because I loved the cover art. The cover here is not ...more
  • Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Death at Bishop's Keep (Kathryn Ardleigh, #1)
  • After the Armistice Ball (Dandy Gilver, #1)
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
  • Million Dollar Baby (A Marjorie McClelland Mystery, #1)
  • A Royal Pain (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #2)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Away with the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Bellfield Hall (A Dido Kent Mystery #1)
  • Mark of the Lion (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #1)
  • The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #1)
Carola Dunn is the author of more than 30 Regency romances, as well as 16 mysteries (the Daisy Dalrymple mystery series is set in England in the 1920s). Ms. Dunn was born and grew up in England, where she got a B.A. in Russian and French from Manchester University. She travelled as far as Fiji before returning to settle in California. After 30 years in the US, she says she still sounds as if she a ...more
More about Carola Dunn...

Daisy Dalrymple (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Winter Garden Mystery (Daisy Dalrymple, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Dead in the Water (Daisy Dalrymple, #6)
  • Styx and Stones (Daisy Dalrymple, #7)
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple, #8)
  • To Davy Jones Below (Daisy Dalrymple, #9)
  • The Case of the Murdered Muckraker (Daisy Dalrymple, #10)
  • Mistletoe and Murder (Daisy Dalrymple, #11)