Start by marking “Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)” as Want to Read:
Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)

Read Excerpt

Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  346 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Emaneska is crying out for a saviour
The only question is:
Can they kill a child to save a world?

Emaneska’s Long Winter remains as bitter as a blade between the ribs. War is fast approaching. Gods and daemons are hovering on the horizon. Long-lost revelations arrive to haunt the lives of three men.

The Pale Kings are rising.

While Farden busies himself digging up his past in
Paperback, First Edition, 568 pages
Published February 29th 2012 (first published January 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pale Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale Kings

Paul Nelson
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent cover picture, this time a Gryphon, a legendary creature with the head, talons, and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.
In the times when God's, Daemons & Elves ruled in Emaneska, humans were nothing more than slaves. The Daemons grew to powerful and a great threat to the world. Orion was the lord of the Daemons and coupled with a human slave, who bore him three human children with Daemon blood.
The gods were in hiding and the humans resigned to a life of slavery but t
Mihir
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall Rating = 3 & 1/2 stars

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Pale Kings continues the story that began in The Written and is the second part on the Emaneska series. The book begins events in a Malazan like fashion by focusing on events nearly two and half millennia ago. The readers get to witness a birth which seems inconsequential however later on as they learn was of much consequence. Things then begin only a few weeks after the events of the first book.

Unlike
Martin Belcher
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Absolutely bloody amazing! I can't speak more highly of this masterpiece of a fantasy epic, I loved every minute of it and even rationed it as I didn't want to finish it too quickly. Damn! I'm finished and now I have to wait until the end of May for the last two books in the Emaneska series, Dead Stars parts one & two to come out. I can't wait!

There is so much going on in Pale Kings and so many important plots and answers that to write too much would spoil it for those of you that have not h
Amanda
Feb 12, 2012 added it
I read the first book in the Pale Kings series. I think it is every bit as good as the Inheiritance series. Whoo hoo Ben Galley.
Mieneke
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
Sam Leeves
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not always a compliment to say that you read a book in three days. To read something so quickly that took months to prepare doing draft, redraft and further redraft can be quite irksome for an author and, I have to admit, part of my hast in reading this book was due to another obligation to the author. However, another reason for so swift a reading was that this book is simply excellent and I couldn't help but complete it fully and immerse myself once more in Emaneska.

Reading this book remi
James Davis
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Much like "The Written", Ben Galley's second work is a passable and enjoyable story. I plan to read the third when it comes out. For an author Galley's age, this is a very good work. However, I think there is a lot of untapped potential here and I think some of his choices are sloppy. This is not meant to be cruel to Galley. After all, I read his first book when it was a free download on Amazon and it got me to buy his second. There are just a few writing choices that I think could be done diffe ...more
Mitchell
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So, if you read my review of Ben's first book, I mentioned that my rating was on potential, and though I commented on a few areas I thought could use improvements, I thoroughly enjoyed the book overall. Well, this book, the direct sequel to "The Written", really makes good on a lot of that potential. The magic system is expanded upon quite a bit, Farden's vambraces are elaborated upon, and the whole thing felt more confident and polished.

"The Written" finished with only the smallest amount of c
Damien Black
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great follow-up by one of the forerunners of the self-publishing boom.

Right from the start Ben Galley draws us back into the world of Emaneska with vivid descriptions and rich use of language. Drawing heavily on Norse mythology, the book's well-wrought prose often personifies the elements and natural world: candles gutter shyly, skies cry, and fires bicker as warrior-mage Farden sets out to find his long-lost uncle and fellow Written Tyrfing.

The story is well paced and takes us from th
Kevin Richard
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy

Well, did Pale Kings deliver the goods that Ben Galley's first novel "The Written" achingly promised? In a word Yes!

Pale Kings continues the story of good versus evil in the world of Emaneska. Set a few months after the happenings in "The Written", Ben's writing style continues to be as descriptive and absorbing as ever.

The story had more unexpected twists in it than The Written and Ben is not afraid to kill off his main characters should the storyline call for it. Personally 1 or 2 of the ch
CF
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A nail-biting and fantastic follow up to the explosive 'The Written', 'Pale Kings' is a treatise on how everyone is not as they seem. Almost every character has an alibi that I didn't see coming, people portrayed as evil are good, good as evil. So interesting and woven as thick as a winter tapestry, Galley's use of words and storytelling is masterful and makes this book hard to put down.

The Pale Kings are coming, and no one could ever know who or why, Farden is charged with saving Emaneska once
Bev
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the authors second book and wow what a difference from the first.

The writing in this has matured and is smoother. Characters are better described and more accessible. The storyline has deepened and I am starting to get little hints of a possibly good story.

It continues the tale of Farden, who appears to be coming to terms with the betrayal of his pregnant girlfriend and the unveiling of his best friend as a daemon. War is coming and even the vampyre is not who he seems.

Looking forward to
Cathy Villars
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the series and it didn't disappoint. The proof reading was much better on this one so less distractions for me. I love the fast pace of these books there is always something lurking, with the turn of a page, to twist/turn the plot. Can't wait for the next installment hurry up Mr Galley. :-)
Sue
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I downloaded the first part of this series (Written) as a freebie, and loved it enough to purchase the second installment. Definitely a great read. This volume is quite a bit shorter than the first, and more focused, but the two books together form a cohesive and complete story, but there's enough loose ends to look forward to in future books.
Jay
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It is the second in the Emaneska Series and the latest published. The writing and editing has improved significantly over the first book 'The Written'. The story line is well crafted (in both books) and good if you enjoy fantasy literature. I will be impatient to see the publishing of the next in the series. Good teaser at the end for the next one.
Bobby newman
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
The second book in the series that follows a battle mage named Farden. In this installment Farden must find his uncle, and battle with himself to do the unthinkable. Kill his only love and his only child to save to world from monstrous daemons.

I made me sad when the book ended and the next in the series has yet to be released. I am fully addicted to this series.
Cassandra
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The first book was great but this one was even better in so many ways. The character development expanded and things came out that I hadn't even dreamed of. The end made me wanting more so there better be more!
Edgar
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book dive deeper into Emaneska. A great mixture of mythologies from around the world fleshes out the world of Farden and all its inhabitants. A few errors in this one but as a self published novel you cant go wrong with it.
Deena
Jul 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
I'm counting this as a FirstReads title because it was generously given to me by the author.
Martin
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
just buy it and enjoy
Marcus Costello
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant was hooked from the first.
Sheila
Dec 30, 2012 added it
I proofread this book for Mr. Galley.
Sandycwv
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying the story. This book carries on from the first one. The next will be on my list too.
Wendy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one felt a little more rushed through the editing, but was still really enjoyable.
JR
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is worth a read
Tino Didriksen
It's fine, but could really have used an editing pass. There's a lot of minor but noticeable errors. Still worth reading. Better than The Written, but not quite at the 4/5 stage yet.
Ian
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ben Galley is a self published author who I met in my local Waterstones where he was promoting. I came away with a copy of his first book, The Written (he was a good salesman)and I've been following his work ever since. I love a bit of world building and I really enjoy reading what other people think up and create, and it's inspiring to see what Ben has created essentially from scratch.
Pale Kings is the sequel to The Written that expands and explores the characters and world that were establishe
Max
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was definitely an improvement over the first one. The story was good, the characters were really interesting this time, and the story was a tad less predictable (although it still did not manage to surprise me very often).

The grammar has not improved very much either, there are still a lot of missing commata, and I also found a few typos.

All in all, I'll continue reading the series, not only because the covers are awesome, but because the end of part two has me interested in what will
Robin Leysen
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Good sequel to the first book in this series. Although I was a bit more cought up in the story of The Written, Pale Kings still is a good book. Decent story, interesting characters. And Emaneska of course.
There was a bit less of a sense of wonder, compared to The Written, but the story is bigger. Or larger. And at the same time, the story has little surprises or twists.
Enjoyed it though, and will continue with the next chapter in the series.
Daniel Alburger
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I got the first book in this series for free (because I'm cheap) and loved it; I had no problem paying for this second story. Already thoroughly enjoying the characters, this episode brings more religion to Galley's world. His clever blend of world mythology and lore kept me on mental tangents as I worked through his many allusions. Highly recommend. Looking forward to more!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • From Man to Man (Wroge Elements, #0.5)
  • Blood for the Blood God (Warhammer)
  • The Children's Hour
  • The Flame Priest (The Silk & Steel Saga, #2)
  • Bright's Light
  • Growing Up Dead
  • The Reformation (The Phoenix Project, #2)
  • Skeleton Key Guild (The Doorknob Society, #5)
  • Crown of the Setting Sun (Heirs of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last City (The Demon War Chronicles, #1)
  • The Witches of Jericho (Edenwitch #1)
  • Paleo Slow Cooker: 75 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Gluten-Free Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes for a Paleo Diet
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • The Benders (Breeders, #3)
  • The Final Warden (Gifts of Vorallon, #1)
  • The Witches of Barrow Wood
  • Empire
  • Island of Doom (The Hunchback Assignments, #4)
Ben Galley is the author behind the gritty and dark Emaneska Series, the western fantasy Scarlet Star Trilogy, and the new standalone novel, The Heart of Stone, which was voted Best Self-Published Novel in the 2017 Booknest Fantasy Awards.

Aside from writing and dreaming up lies to tell his readers, Ben works as a self-publishing consultant and tutor, helping fellow authors from all over the world
More about Ben Galley...

Emaneska (4 books)
  • The Written (Emaneska #1)
  • Dead Stars - Part One (Emaneska #3)
  • Dead Stars - Part Two (Emaneska #4)
“Hindsight is a beautiful thing, mage. The past is for the memory, the present is for the mind.” 4 likes