Start by marking “Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)” as Want to Read:
Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)

Read Excerpt

Pale Kings

(Emaneska #2)

Emaneska is crying out for a saviour
The only question is:
Can they kill a child to save a world?

"Galley's imagination is a truly beautiful thing. The plot here is rich and intricate, and the characters are a delight... I believe Mr Galley may well be one to watch.”
– Fantasy Bytes

Paperback, First Edition, 568 pages
Published February 29th 2012 (first published January 9th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pale Kings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale Kings

Start your review of Pale Kings (Emaneska #2)
Paul Nelson
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent cover picture, this time a Gryphon, a legendary creature with the head, talons, and wings of an eagle and the body of a lion.
In the times when God's, Daemons & Elves ruled in Emaneska, humans were nothing more than slaves. The Daemons grew to powerful and a great threat to the world. Orion was the lord of the Daemons and coupled with a human slave, who bore him three human children with Daemon blood.
The gods were in hiding and the humans resigned to a life of slavery but
Mihir
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it

Full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall Rating = 3 & 1/2 stars

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Pale Kings continues the story that began in The Written and is the second part on the Emaneska series. The book begins events in a Malazan like fashion by focusing on events nearly two and half millennia ago. The readers get to witness a birth which seems inconsequential however later on as they learn was of much consequence. Things then begin only a few weeks after the events of the first book.

Unlike
Damien Black
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great follow-up by one of the forerunners of the self-publishing boom.

Right from the start Ben Galley draws us back into the world of Emaneska with vivid descriptions and rich use of language. Drawing heavily on Norse mythology, the book's well-wrought prose often personifies the elements and natural world: candles gutter shyly, skies cry, and fires bicker as warrior-mage Farden sets out to find his long-lost uncle and fellow Written Tyrfing.

The story is well paced and takes us from
Martin Belcher
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Absolutely bloody amazing! I can't speak more highly of this masterpiece of a fantasy epic, I loved every minute of it and even rationed it as I didn't want to finish it too quickly. Damn! I'm finished and now I have to wait until the end of May for the last two books in the Emaneska series, Dead Stars parts one & two to come out. I can't wait!

There is so much going on in Pale Kings and so many important plots and answers that to write too much would spoil it for those of you that have not
Amanda
Feb 12, 2012 added it
I read the first book in the Pale Kings series. I think it is every bit as good as the Inheiritance series. Whoo hoo Ben Galley.
THE BIBLIOPHILE (Rituranjan)
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Better than the first book. A strong sequel with tight plotting and trimmed prose. As a self-published book, I would definitely put this on a high pedestal, looking at the cover and the standard quality of work. Galley has definitely improved himself as an author, and he has shown his ability to tell a good story which is a winning situation for a young writer like him in the genre.

This book shows Galley's imagination with the thrilling pace of the narrative. He has imbued the mythology with
Mieneke
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2013
Connie
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
War is fast approaching and Farden is on a personal quest to find his long lost uncle Tyrfing - a fellow Written. Will he find him and the answers he seeks?

This is the second book in the Emaneska series full of fantastic characters and mythical creatures. I loved both books, it has everything that makes a great fantasy.
I've gone straight into book three part one.
Sam Leeves
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's not always a compliment to say that you read a book in three days. To read something so quickly that took months to prepare doing draft, redraft and further redraft can be quite irksome for an author and, I have to admit, part of my hast in reading this book was due to another obligation to the author. However, another reason for so swift a reading was that this book is simply excellent and I couldn't help but complete it fully and immerse myself once more in Emaneska.

Reading this book
James
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Much like "The Written", Ben Galley's second work is a passable and enjoyable story. I plan to read the third when it comes out. For an author Galley's age, this is a very good work. However, I think there is a lot of untapped potential here and I think some of his choices are sloppy. This is not meant to be cruel to Galley. After all, I read his first book when it was a free download on Amazon and it got me to buy his second. There are just a few writing choices that I think could be done ...more
Victor
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good continuation of the Emaneska series.

After reading the first book "The Written" I knew what I was in for, and it didn't disappoint.

Just like in the first book, you find yourself reading through long spells of "nothingness" as a way of building up to the climatic moments of various storylines, something I've now come to terms with and in many ways I appreciate.

Overall it's an even more enjoyable experience from the first book and I'm looking forward to seeing how the sorry is taken on
Mitchell
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So, if you read my review of Ben's first book, I mentioned that my rating was on potential, and though I commented on a few areas I thought could use improvements, I thoroughly enjoyed the book overall. Well, this book, the direct sequel to "The Written", really makes good on a lot of that potential. The magic system is expanded upon quite a bit, Farden's vambraces are elaborated upon, and the whole thing felt more confident and polished.

"The Written" finished with only the smallest amount of
Kevin Richard
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy

Well, did Pale Kings deliver the goods that Ben Galley's first novel "The Written" achingly promised? In a word Yes!

Pale Kings continues the story of good versus evil in the world of Emaneska. Set a few months after the happenings in "The Written", Ben's writing style continues to be as descriptive and absorbing as ever.

The story had more unexpected twists in it than The Written and Ben is not afraid to kill off his main characters should the storyline call for it. Personally 1 or 2 of the
CF
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
A nail-biting and fantastic follow up to the explosive 'The Written', 'Pale Kings' is a treatise on how everyone is not as they seem. Almost every character has an alibi that I didn't see coming, people portrayed as evil are good, good as evil. So interesting and woven as thick as a winter tapestry, Galley's use of words and storytelling is masterful and makes this book hard to put down.

The Pale Kings are coming, and no one could ever know who or why, Farden is charged with saving Emaneska once
Bev
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the authors second book and wow what a difference from the first.

The writing in this has matured and is smoother. Characters are better described and more accessible. The storyline has deepened and I am starting to get little hints of a possibly good story.

It continues the tale of Farden, who appears to be coming to terms with the betrayal of his pregnant girlfriend and the unveiling of his best friend as a daemon. War is coming and even the vampyre is not who he seems.

Looking forward to
Cathy Villars
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The second book in the series and it didn't disappoint. The proof reading was much better on this one so less distractions for me. I love the fast pace of these books there is always something lurking, with the turn of a page, to twist/turn the plot. Can't wait for the next installment hurry up Mr Galley. :-)
Bobby newman
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epic-fantasy
The second book in the series that follows a battle mage named Farden. In this installment Farden must find his uncle, and battle with himself to do the unthinkable. Kill his only love and his only child to save to world from monstrous daemons.

I made me sad when the book ended and the next in the series has yet to be released. I am fully addicted to this series.
Sue
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I downloaded the first part of this series (Written) as a freebie, and loved it enough to purchase the second installment. Definitely a great read. This volume is quite a bit shorter than the first, and more focused, but the two books together form a cohesive and complete story, but there's enough loose ends to look forward to in future books.
Jay
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. It is the second in the Emaneska Series and the latest published. The writing and editing has improved significantly over the first book 'The Written'. The story line is well crafted (in both books) and good if you enjoy fantasy literature. I will be impatient to see the publishing of the next in the series. Good teaser at the end for the next one.
Cassandra
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The first book was great but this one was even better in so many ways. The character development expanded and things came out that I hadn't even dreamed of. The end made me wanting more so there better be more!
Edgar
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book dive deeper into Emaneska. A great mixture of mythologies from around the world fleshes out the world of Farden and all its inhabitants. A few errors in this one but as a self published novel you cant go wrong with it.
Max André
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating!!!

The writing is true on point and get your look in. Love the first book and the second is even more amazing. I felt as I was apart of the story, invested in the success in Farden and his colleagues. This need tone turn into a movie, for it is captivating.
Wendy
Sep 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one felt a little more rushed through the editing, but was still really enjoyable.
Deena
Jul 24, 2013 marked it as to-read
I'm counting this as a FirstReads title because it was generously given to me by the author.
Martin
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
just buy it and enjoy
Marcus Costello
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant was hooked from the first.
Sheila
Dec 30, 2012 added it
I proofread this book for Mr. Galley.
Sandycwv
Jan 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying the story. This book carries on from the first one. The next will be on my list too.
Zaxs Yacs
Jun 20, 2019 rated it liked it
**Emaneska is crying out for a saviour

The only question is:

Can they kill a child to save a world?**

– Fantasy Bytes

The Pale Kings are rising. Emaneska's Long Winter remains as bitter as a blade between the ribs. War is fast approaching. Gods and demons are hovering on the horizon. Long-lost revelations arrive to haunt the lives

Paul Wandless
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the story, the rich world that he's created and the characters as well. This book introduced other characters as POV for the story and that helped to really broaden the world. There were surprises, twists and turns with plenty of action. I'm glad Farden's drug addiction took a back seat in the plot, because I don't think its needed anymore to advance the story. Like the first book, there are sections where the world building becomes too descriptive and slows down the momentum of ...more

• A Mark of Kings (The Shattered Reigns #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Tooth And Claw (The Chronicles of Breed #2)
  • The Traitor God (Age of Tyranny, #1)
  • The True Bastards (The Lot Lands, #2)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Kingdom of Bones (The Echoes Saga, #5)
  • Queenslayer (Spellslinger #5)
  • The Black Hawks (Articles of Faith, #1)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • The Fall of Neverdark (The Echoes Saga, #4)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Something Wicked (The Chronicles of Breed #3)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
  • King of Assassins (The Wounded Kingdom, #3)
Ben Galley is an author of dark and epic fantasy books who currently hails from Victoria, Canada. Since publishing his debut Emaneska Series, Ben has released a range of epic and dark fantasy novels, including the award-winning weird western Bloodrush and standalone novel The Heart of Stone. He is also the author of the critically-acclaimed Chasing Graves Trilogy.

When he isn’t conjuring up strange

Emaneska (4 books)
  • The Written (Emaneska #1)
  • Dead Stars - Part One (Emaneska #3)
  • Dead Stars - Part Two (Emaneska #4)
“Hindsight is a beautiful thing, mage. The past is for the memory, the present is for the mind.” 4 likes
“A cold smile hovered on his face, as a snake would smile at a group of trapped mice.” 0 likes