Start by marking “Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños” as Want to Read:
Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,638 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
Here are collected many of his responses to those letters, in which he share his feelings about writing, school, animals, and of course, Narnia. With understanding and respect, proving why he remains one of the best loved children's authors of all time.
Published (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cartas de C. S. Lewis a los Niños

Susan Budd
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C. S. Lewis was a special soul, one of those rare people who retain the best of youth even into old age. He had a rapport with children that was surely the product of his own child-like nature.

In his essay, “On Three Ways of Writing for Children,” he recounts an anecdote that, I think, provides some insight into his ability to speak to children as fluently and naturally as he does: “I have been told that Arthur Mee never met a child and never wished to: it was, from his point of view, a bit of
Amy
Satisfying and lovely. I don't have many cohesive thoughts, just warmth and satisfaction from reading it. Lewis's letters are encouraging, instructive, and occasionally just about mundane things like the weather.
I love how often he encourages children to write their own Narnia stories. He answers lots of questions about the Narnia books which is nice because every fangirl wants that little bit of more.
I love how intelligently he writes to children. He peppers his letters with references to othe
Bekah
I envy these children their luck in corresponding with Lewis. The brilliant man died when my mother was only five years old, so I missed out by miles in my chance, but it was wonderful to read these collected responses. Lewis was so humble in receiving praise and encouraging to those who expressed an interest in writing. I was thoroughly impressed by his discussion of theology, how he never spoke down to any of these children, never tried to dumb things down. It also amused me that he even encou ...more
Rissie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It’s a small collection of C.S. Lewis’ responses to letters that children wrote to him about his Narnia books. The letters are so nice … he takes the children and their news/concerns/ideas seriously and responds to them with interest and concern – as though he were responding to an adult. I’d love to get a letter like that even now!
Miss Abernathy
A través de estas cartas conoces muchos datos interesantes: cómo se forjó Narnia, la relación entre Jack y sus lectores, el carácter del escritor y algunos hechos de su vida que le marcaron en su obra literaria.
Nick
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: C.S. Lewis fans
I thoroughly enjoyed this slight volume. The intimate and mundane details of Lewis' life are fascinating to me, and it is always helpful to see how others write letters. I'm afraid my letters are rather pedestrian. I highly recommend this book!
Olivia
Okay, so on top of everything else, the man answered his fan-mail. WHY WAS HE PERFECT?!?!

(All right, so he wasn't perfect, but sometimes I feel like I'm dangerously close to putting him on that pedestal.)
Rebekah Choat
C.S. Lewis, in addition to being a prolific writer of scholarly works, poems, Christian apologetics, and fiction, carried on extensive correspondence. He considered it a solemn duty to personally answer each of the thousands of letters he received – and not perfunctory, generic, “Thank you for writing; I wish you well.” The responses he penned are truly personal and specific, giving detailed thanks for small gifts, carefully answering questions asked, and thoughtfully addressing whatever issues ...more
Joanne
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given how young I was when I first fell in love with Narnia and began to deeply admire C.S. Lewis, it is little wonder that I thoroughly enjoyed the book “C.S. Lewis: Letters to Children.” This wonderful, beautiful compilation of letters he wrote between 1944-1963 to children, including many Americans, paints a lovely picture of a man I’ve never met, but who is, in my imagination, a dear friend. So sentimental in tone, I got a bit teary-eyed at how gentle and sweet he was to his many young fans. ...more
Meredith
Very interesting. Who knew that C S Lewis disliked Cicero, read Pride and Prejudice numerous times, and agreed the Chronicles of Narnia should be read beginning with "The Magician's Nephew" and ending with "The Last Battle"? An order, by the way, I would also recommend.

I didn't read all the letters and it was very short, so I won't be counting this one for my annual book challenge.

Things that could have made it better: Letters FROM the children rather than only letters TO the children(apparentl
Ruth
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this collection about fifteen years ago, and at that time I'd only read the Narnia books once and had no exposure to Lewis's other works. This reading, of course, proved a far richer experience. I think the best aspect is witnessing how Lewis expressed his fierce intellect and deep theological understanding in simple language. Case in point, what he says about being who God created you to be in the body of Christ: "A good toenail is not an unsuccessful attempt at a hair; and if it w ...more
Miss Clark
Wonderful book, with plenty of neat details and facts, esp. about his Narnia series.

Excerpts:
22 January 1977

Dear Martin,

The books don't tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there is plenty of time for her to mend, and perhaps she will get to Aslan's country in the end - in her own way. I think that whatever she had seen in Narnia she could (if she was the sort that wanted to) persuade he
Jessica
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book!

I reluctantly settled for it when, after deciding to read all of Lewis, I couldn't find many of his more well-known works at the local library. I was pleasantly surprised.

Furthermore, it was a little fortuitous that I read this before any of his great works; I feel it served as a nice introduction to the author beforehand!

What I especially loved was that it became clear to me through his letters that he was a down-to-earth person despite his success and fame. Al
Stan Shelley
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a marvelous book. Normally I have to really slow down to read CS Lewis but this one reads like a breeze...because, of course, it is letters to children. Lewis writes in a way that is accessible to them but at the same time he does not talk down to them. He is just full of Christian kindness. He answers their questions, give advice if it was requested and seems to genuinely care. The letter he wrote to the little boy who was concerned that he loved Aslan more than Jesus was priceless. And he ...more
Caroline
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves children
I flew through this book - and when I finished C.S. Lewis became more like a grandfather to me. I have always reveled in his literary genius and theological mind. Yet, to read these letters, I saw quite clearly his passion and love for children. Why else would he painstakingly write letters encouraging and teaching those brave souls who were faithful to correspond?

I only wish I had lived at that time to receive even a nugget of wisdom or jest from this wonderful man!
Rachel
Jan 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of letters from CS written to children from around the world. This book makes me want to meet CS Lewis even more than I ever did before. He is so frank, and so open, and so honest in his letters and he so obviously enjoys observing things from a child-like viewpoint, and intellectual discourse even with children... I wish he was still alive when I was young so I could have written to him.
Joshua Brist
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book. I am so grateful that these editors took the massive amount of time and work that it must have taken to compile these very insightful and meaningful letters of C.S. Lewis. I now feel like I understand this man more even after reading his semi-autobiography ("Surprised by Joy.")

I learned, I laughed, and by the end I definitely cried. Five stars.
Ginnie
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever wanted to ask C.S. Lewis a question it's very possible you will find the answer to those questions it this book. Written in a simple way with little illustrations from his own hand I recommend this to all Lewis fans.
Zack Mollhagen
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely reminder of the gentleness and respect that Lewis had for children. This book shows that Lewis held Christ's teaching dear, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these" (Mathew 19:14).
Kendall
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. I think that Lewis, in writing to children, is not trying to prove anything; he simply says what he thinks. This gives these letters an aphoristic quality, almost like a collection of proverbs.
Douglas Wilson
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Good.
Caitlin
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
One of my absolute favorites!
Helen
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In times like this, it is good to go back and read the words of one's heroes. Lewis wrote many letters to both adults and children, and spoke with the same gravity and sincerity to both. He doesn't speak down to children and takes their fears and complaints about his books seriously. I was especially touched by his response to the little boy who had begun to fear that he preferred Aslan to Jesus.

This isn't all of the letters written to children by Lewis, but is a great collection representative
Anna
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis takes children - and their questions, comments, and criticism - very seriously. He doesn't talk down to them, dismiss their thoughts, and sounds genuinely grateful and delighted by any pieces of writing or artwork sent his way. Demonstrating an even greater level of respect, he gives advice and helpful criticism of their poetry or stories. What an absolute gentleman.
This was a heartwarming read.
Jes
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming. I love that Lewis talks to children with respect and admiration. In particular, always ready to compliment them on something and make things personal to each recipient. He seems to be the kind of uncle and grown-up friend every child would wish for. :)

A quick read and very sweet. Highly recommend
Joanna Branson
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Lewis' informal voice used in his correspondence. A new reading experience! It was interesting to find that Lewis didn't "talk down" to the children he wrote to, and engaged them in literary/writerly conversations, often encouraging them in their own creative pursuits and offering constructive critique in some cases.
Tim
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While quite short and a quite easy read, it has some real gems in it. Overall I'm really inspired by his humility and humor and ability to be honest and encouraging to his young readers. There's an especially amazing letter i think on page 53 in which a young reader is grief-stricken that he may like Aslan more than Jesus and Lewis' response is incredible.
S. Murphy
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grateful to the editors for gathering these together and sharing them with us.
Kristin
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual Lewis is entertaining and thought provoking. It is wonderful to catch a glimpse of his personality through his responses and remarks in his replies to letters from children.
Heather
Light, insightful and heartwarming letters written by a timeless author. His love for children is truly endearing.
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Company They Keep: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien as Writers in Community
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • Smoke on the Mountain: An Interpretation of the Ten Commandments
  • The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Tolkien and C.S. Lewis: The Gift of a Friendship
  • The Whimsical Christian: 18 Essays
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...

“In writing. Don't use adjectives which merely tell us how you want us to feel about the thing you are describing. I mean, instead of telling us a thing was "terrible," describe it so that we'll be terrified. Don't say it was "delightful"; make us say "delightful" when we've read the description. You see, all those words (horrifying, wonderful, hideous, exquisite) are only like saying to your readers, "Please will you do my job for me."

[Letter to Joan Lancaster, 26 June 1956]”
59 likes
“Never use abstract nouns when concrete ones will do. If you mean “More people died” don’t say “Mortality rose.” 34 likes