Jump to ratings and reviews

Burning Embers

After calling off her wedding, Coral Sinclair, a beautiful but naive young photographer, learns that she has also lost her father. Leaving the life she's known in England, she sails to Kenya to take ownership of her inheritance - Mpingo, the plantation that was her childhood home. On the voyage, Coral meets a charismatic stranger and their mystifying attraction shakes her to the core. When she encounters him again days later near Mpingo, she is warned that the man is not to be trusted. Rafe de Monfort, owner of a nightclub and the neighbouring plantation, is not only a notorious womanizer but also entangled with Coral's stepmother, which may have contributed to her father's death - or so the rumours go."

269 pages, Paperback

First published April 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Hannah Fielding

10 books638 followers
Hannah Fielding is an incurable romantic. The seeds for her writing career were sown in early childhood, spent in Egypt, when she came to an agreement with her governess Zula: for each fairy story Zula told, Hannah would invent and relate one of her own. Years later – following a degree in French literature, several years of travelling in Europe, falling in love with an Englishman, the arrival of two beautiful children and a career in property development – Hannah decided after so many years of yearning to write that the time was now. Today, she lives the dream: writing full time at her homes in England and Ireland, and in the South of France, where she dreams up romances overlooking breath-taking views of the Mediterranean.

To date, Hannah has published eight novels: Burning Embers, set in Kenya; The Echoes of Love, set in Italy; the Andalucian Nights trilogy (Indiscretion, Masquerade and Legacy), set in Spain; Aphrodite’s Tears, set on the Greek islands; Concerto, set on Lake Como; and Song of the Nile, set in Hannah's homeland, Egypt.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
10 (4%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews
Profile Image for Archit.
823 reviews3,227 followers
May 5, 2018
Elegant!

An enchanting and captivating romance novel.

Carol's marriage has been just called off because of her cheating boyfriend. She is yet to dwell in the misery and grief of such sudden predicament but a call changes her life. This call was to inform her that she has inherited a large property in Kenya, the place where she had spent her childhood. She starts her journey to Kenya and what she finds out in that land, is equally thrilling and surprising.

This is a kind of book that I wanted to read real slow so to get plunged with the beauty and magic the author had built and at the same time, I desired to read it fast so to know how Carol's life turns out to be. Set during the time of 1970, when things were moving and changing fast, Burning Embers proved itself to be an awesome historical fiction.

I was walking in the shoes and skin of Carol. The romantic aura is created around me was unforgettable. I was attached to the characters and their behavior. Their ways of attending each situation. The author has a talent of writing stories in poetic and classic manner.

The author has shown her prowess in successfully capturing the reader's attention and writing him a memorable tale. I had not much experiences in Africa, but thanks to the author for showing me the culture there.

I have no reservations in my mind to think that in the future, Hannah Fielding's works are going to be remembered as classics. She writes as if water is flowing from a fountain. Sharp and crisp. Descriptive and precise. She had all these combinations in this novel.

Verdict : Embers burned right through the pages onto the fingers.
Profile Image for Christina ~ Brunette Reader.
187 reviews300 followers
October 25, 2019

2,5 Stars

An enjoyable, if unexceptional, romance set against the backdrop of 1970s Kenya.
The atmosphere was nicely rendered, and some descriptions were evocative and colourful, though in several parts the dialogues and the narration felt listless. I also found the characterisations of the leading couple not particularly engaging: the heroine often read as immature and inconsistent while the portrayal of the hero’s “darkness” sounded often just token and the resulting supposed chemistry between them never sparkled.
Profile Image for Aditi.
920 reviews1,321 followers
January 7, 2015
In Kenya you've got the great birds and monkeys leaping through the trees overhead. It's a chance to remember what the world is really like.
----Joanna Lumley, an English actress, voice-over artist, former model and author

Hannah Fielding, a French writer, enchanted my mind and heart, with her debut novel, Burning Embers which is set across the lush green and golden landscape of Kenya.

Synopsis:
Coral Sinclair is a beautiful but naive twenty-five-year-old photographer who has just lost her father. She's leaving the life she's known and traveling to Kenya to take ownership of her inheritance--the plantation that was her childhood home--Mpingo. On the voyage from England, Coral meets an enigmatic stranger to whom she has a mystifying attraction. She sees him again days later on the beach near Mpingo, but Coral's childhood nanny tells her the man is not to be trusted. It is rumored that Rafe de Monfort, owner of a neighboring plantation and a nightclub, is a notorious womanizer having an affair with her stepmother, which may have contributed to her father's death.
Circumstance confirms Coral's worst suspicions, but when Rafe's life is in danger she is driven to make peace. A tentative romance blossoms amidst a meddling ex-fiancé, a jealous stepmother, a car accident, and the dangerous wilderness of Africa. Is Rafe just toying with a young woman's affections? Is the notorious womanizer only after Coral's inheritance? Or does Rafe's troubled past color his every move, making him more vulnerable than Coral could ever imagine?

I was lucky enough to read Fielding's latest novel, The Echoes of Love , before reading her debut, Burning Embers , and her latest is equally enthralling like her first book. In the first book, she paints the picture of a passionate and heart-touching love story set across the backdrop of African beauty, back in an era when Africa was a gold-digger's land.

Coral is a young English woman, who is also a passionate photographer, whereas Rafe is an old and cunning businessman, who happens to be a womanizer. And the author crafted them like some divine, rare and exotic species of the human race. The author flawlessly portrayed their perfect beauty and their inevitable attraction for each other. And yes, in a way, while I was reading about them, I felt passion in my mind and body. The story started with Coral's arrival in her father's estate in Kenya, and on her journey from England to Kenya, she met a handsome, tall and dark stranger who made her fall in love in the very first sight. However, upon her arrival, her old care-taker filled her heart with hatred for that mysterious man. The more she tried to stop thinking about Rafe, the more he became close to her own heart, and with each passing day, their attraction increased for each other, despite the rumors about Rafe's identity. And my friends, you need to read the rest of the story, to know how Coral gets adjusted with her heart and mind's tug-of-war.

The author created her characters strikingly, like every individual has something power in their demeanor to capture your attention as you read on.
But what kept me glued till the end was the author's writing! Her writing is something so exquisite and smooth that it pulls the strings of your heart into the core of the story. I moved along with her story, with the emotions, and with the nature! Africa welcomed me with it's open arms and I was completely lost into the African aura that the author created simply with words.

Not only the author captured the beauty and the golden soil of Kenya vividly into her story, but also she showed me the unexplored side of Africa- the tribes, the language, the food, the exotic and uninhibited culture, and oh-so-gorgeous African safari. It is not every day that you come across a tale- a simple tale, I must say, that enraptures your soul, mind and body with it's beauty.

Yes, to be honest, the love story is not any extraordinary tale that will bring out all the emotions out of you, but the way the author represented it, it'll bind to bring out every form of emotions out of your heart, but the exoticness of the whole story will absolutely intrigue you, amaze you and will keep you on your edges. Apart from that their is a mystery, that too keeps you turning the pages of the book and the author unfolded that mystery piece-by-piece. Moreover, there's a lesson in the end that enlightens our mind that how not to trust the word of mouth and to believe in what's in their heart.

Verdict: Read this book to feel the beauty of Kenya and to feel the passion of an captivating love-story.

Courtesy: Thanks to the author, Hannah Fielding, for giving me the opportunity to read and review her debut novel.
Profile Image for Natasa.
1,163 reviews
November 9, 2020
Burning Embers is a story full of love, loss, jealousy, heartbreak, and angst. It is beautifully written and the emotion leaps right off the page. The descriptions of Kenya and traditions carried on by the people native to this country are truly beautiful that you almost feel you’re there.
Profile Image for Yelena Bosh.
402 reviews41 followers
May 22, 2015
Wow.

This love story just makes me want to crawl into the Burning Embers world, find Rafe and never look back.. But let's be real..

So beautiful, sad, heartbreaking but overall, an amazing journey of what it feels like to finally fall in love. And I mean, the heart-wrenching and strongly surreal kind!!

I cannot get over how Hannah Fielding once again managed to craft 2 souls of characters that seem to have evaded my mind since I am leaning towards my bookshelf wanting to read it again.. Must resist. Other books to get through first.. Ugh. ;)

The storyline develops and evolves and changes at an addictive pace that just wants you to keep reading. And so I did. But boy was that the wrong idea. It's a type of love hate relationship because I couldn't do anything else but think about what Rafe will say next or how Coral will respond. There are just so many aspects of the character development that I only wish I had the talent to do.

I mean, yes it is a love story between two people that are not necessarily meant to be together but eventually are head over heels for each other. BUT there is just so much more to the story.

Beautiful setting.

Lovely.

Cute moments.

Sexy.

Pure love.

--What more could you want in a story?!--

I can only ever wish that Rafe was real... Sigh.. the problems of falling for yet another gorgeously sexy fictional man..

Thank you Hannah Fielding for another opportunity to read yet more of your beautiful and heartfelt stories!! This book will be one to beat when it comes to a sweet but sexy TRUE/PURE love story. Definitely. I cannot wait to read more of your books!
Profile Image for Valentina.
Author 34 books177 followers
September 20, 2012
I found this book a great read. It captures the reader’s attention from the beginning, weaving the story in such a manner that it is easy to slip right into the plot.

Something that I really enjoyed and appreciated, since I know how difficult it is to get right, was the believable relationship Fielding created between Coral and Rafe. It’s so easy to overdo the romance in these kinds of books, that I breathed with relief when I saw that this author knew just how to write it believably. The setting itself is almost a character of its own. The way Fielding writes, with lush detail that never overwhelms or bores, really takes the reader right to the places she describes.
The plot is quick, as it should be in this genre, with nice sense of timing. I also enjoyed how Coral’s character grows as the novel progresses, leaving behind that air of naiveté that she begins with and becoming a fully fledged woman by the end.
I do recommend this book for all lovers of a romantic story that is well written and highly entertaining.
Profile Image for Jan Moran.
Author 41 books3,737 followers
December 20, 2012
Burning Embers is an evocative story, full of lush imagery, fascinating characters, and exotic locales. Hannah Fielding's use of the English language is inspiring, her descriptions of Kenya are utterly mesmerizing, and could only have been written by one knows the subject first hand, which the author does. Her writing is vivid, compelling, magical.

The story of Coral Sinclair and Rafe de Montfort is not the usual romantic tale. It's an upmarket saga, full of mystery, twists, and turns as Coral seeks her just inheritance in a country in political upheaval and an expatriate English community. Coral is a strong, independent woman who knows her mind. A truly cinematic story.

Hannah Fielding's elegant prose drew me onto the story right away, and I was sad when it was over. I'm definitely looking for more from this author. Burning Embers is smart, sensual, contemporary fiction with a seamless five-star execution.
Profile Image for Elsa White.
4 reviews1 follower
May 15, 2012
I won this book in a giveaway competition - very exciting as I'm so new on Goodreads. The cover and the blurb suggested passion and intrigue, and it didn't disappoint. I found myself lost in the story, and ended up staying up late to finish it. I was pleasantly surprised by the writing style - more poetic than most contemporary romance I read. Looking at the author's website, I see she was brought up speaking French, and I think something of that comes through in how she writes. My favourite aspect of the book was the setting; I visited Kenya for a safari as a child and had remembered the scenery, and I think this book really conveys a sense of the country. All in all, a good read and I'll look out for her next book.
4 reviews1 follower
June 7, 2012
Burning Embers, the debut novel by Hannah Fielding, is a contemporary historical romance set in the world of the privileged classes of 1970s’ Africa. The story is centred on the return of Coral, the book’s main character, a young girl returning to Africa after many years to reclaim her inheritance. The plot essentially follows her first year in Africa as she matures emotionally and falls in love with a handsome but complicated older man, Rafe, her neighbour, who is not at all what he first seems.

I love the detailed description used in this book, and the author’s obvious passion for the setting, its people, wildlife and scenery – it really made the book come alive. For a few hours I was whisked away to somewhere hot and exquisitely beautiful. My favourite location in the book is the waterfall and lake: ‘There, in the middle of the depression, entirely enclosed by flowering shrubs, lay a phosphorescent expanse of water, shimmering like a sheet of silk in the rays of the midday sun. High above, a solid mass of white foam thundered from a narrow gulley; it leaped down, rolling over part of a sheer wall of mountain that stood like an impassive sentinel, its head in the clouds.’

As expected, this book delivers many surprising complications in Coral and Rafe’s love story, including a step-mother, ex-lovers, illness, accidents, misunderstandings and sorcery – all of which make this book a real page turner. At first, Coral is naive and she has to learn to make her own judgements in many aspects of her life, despite the unhelpful input of others who want to influence her to behave in certain ways for their own ends. The author’s description of these characters brings them leaping from the page, so much so that despite Rafe’s tumultuous past and dark secrets, and Coral’s sometimes immature behaviour, I really wanted to get to the bottom of what was going on, and see them happy together in the end.

‘One can’t talk, touch, love in the way he did with me last night if one’s soul is dead.’

You will love this book if you enjoy fantastic description, steamy and fiery characters and romances, and a little bit of mystery too.
Profile Image for Beth.
198 reviews29 followers
June 9, 2012
Hannah Fielding's first book Burning Embers takes you on an unforgettable journey to Africa in the 1970's. Her vivid descriptions of Africa and beautiful love story will take you away. The story is about a very immature and sheltered young woman, Coral Sinclair, who returns to Africa following her father's death. there she meets Rafe de Monfort, a mysterious neighbor to whom she is attracted. They are drawn to each other but Rafe must face his demons and Coral must mature. The descriptions in this book are pictures painted with words. The love story is sensual without being crude. The characters well developed and the book totally enjoyable. If the sign of a good book is that it transports you to another place this book is it. It is a book that I would re-read and one that I will share with my friends
Profile Image for Lili.
1,103 reviews15 followers
September 15, 2012
In the opening pages of this book the romantic aspect is set, two people meet, the tall, dark and lean stranger asks Carol Sinclair “Are you cold?” The attraction between them is immediate and emotional; yet even before the chapter is concluded the author evokes in us a sense of mystery and intrigue.

The initial background chapters are perhaps a little too long before the real story of guilt, desire, jealousy and love develop; however the descriptions of people, places and the scenery make up for this and transport us to Mpingo and show us an idealistic and sentimental view of Kenya in the 1970’s.

A beautifully written book by a ‘wordsmith’ who clearly loves Africa, especially Kenya, it is a compelling, passionate love story that will thrill and grip any devotee of romantic fiction.

I received this book free from the author as a Goodreads Giveaway.
Profile Image for Eileen .
18 reviews4 followers
September 24, 2012
What a great book! Truly worth 5 stars.

I love Africa and have always been interested in the country. This is author makes you believe that you are there in every way. I would read this before I went to sleep at night and would dream about being there , her description was that Good.

The two main characters are in love with each other but they must endure many hardships in order to keep that love strong. The story isn't some typical mushy romance book. It's very intriguing, and keep you wanting to read more to see if their love can endure this country and overcome all their problems.

The story takes place back in the 70's in Kenya. Africa it's a country trying to gain independence and so is the young woman. But love is stronger in this case.

I highly recommend you reading the book. It's fabulous.

Profile Image for Amy.
Author 19 books21 followers
September 5, 2012
Coral Sinclair has returned to her first love, her first home, Kenya after the man she planned to marry cheated on her and after she learned of her estranged father's death. All of her years in England with her mother and stepfather had not thwarted her desire to return to her beloved Kenya. Upon arrival, she realizes that although her memories of Kenya had not changed, Kenya had and so had her beloved African home, Mpingo. Her thoughts of the past were only pushed aside by the thoughts that now plagued her regarding the attractive stranger that she met on the boat. There was something about him that would not allow her brain or her body's awakening desires to forget him. The last thing she expected to discover was that he was her neighbor and had been a good friend of her father, a lover to her stepmother, and an artist who had painted her without ever meeting her.

Rafe de Montfort is a wealthy, charming, womanizing, and tortured man. He knew Coral Sinclair the moment he saw her on the boat because he'd painted her image so many times that he was unable to not recognize every detail of her face. His attraction to her drives him crazy with want of her yet he believes himself to be the last man worthy of her, her innocence and her trust.

BURNING EMBERS by Hannah Fielding starts out slow - almost too slow. The first chapters are filled with too much backstory. It's information that we need to know but I think it could have been spread out a bit throughout the story. Once I was into the real story, I relaxed and tried to get to know the characters. The characters, although not as endearing as I'd like them to be, were interesting. They do fit the era of the book and they are believable.

A mystery is hinted at in the first chapters of the book but was never actually realized in the latter part. I never quite connected the mystery of the secret basement rooms - other than the portraits - to the warnings by the mishiriki or witch doctor and her yaha, Aluna's great dislike and distrust of Rafe.

The real star of BURNING EMBERS is the setting. Hannah Fielding created a backdrop for this story that held me spellbound. Using her travel experiences, she is able to weave a wonderful written image of Kenya and the time period so that I felt as if I was truly in Africa. It's her talent here that tells me that since this is her debut novel, she will grow as an author and I fully expect her next novel to be uniquely more intriguing. As a debut author, Hannah Fielding has won me with her imagery even as her storyline and characters were the weak points of her novel. I am confident, having experienced her ability to use the written word to paint such a scenic backdrop, that she will only get better with her next novel. I will eagerly look forward to reading her next endeavor.

I recommend reading BURNING EMBERS by Hannah Fielding not because it's an expert work of literature but because it's a work that will capture you with its unique time setting and its beautiful imagery. It's a romantic book without exception and whereas you may not necessarily fall in love with the characters, you will surely fall in love with the setting.

Reviewer purchased this book.
Profile Image for Lisa.
952 reviews120 followers
October 17, 2013
2.5 out of 5 stars

I received a copy of this story for an honest review for Amber's Reading Room.

When her father dies leaving her Mpingo, a lush estate in Kenya, twenty-five year old Coral Sinclair sets sail from England hoping to use the opportunity to recover from a humiliating heartbreak and re-establish herself in a country she has not stepped foot in for almost two decades.

On her journey abroad, Coral encounters the enigmatic Rafe de Monfort, a man who gives her comfort in a moment of weakness. Little does Coral know that Rafe will keep popping up in her new life, bringing both happiness and frustration. When painful ties between Rafe and Coral’s deceased father emerge, Coral must decide if the fire she feels when she’s around Rafe should burn with love or with hate.

Fielding creates striking images of Africa that helped me to visualize her settings clearly.

“Variant tones of pink were gently spreading into the sky, struggling to seep through the symphony of blues. A few moments later the sun burst forth, dazzling in this multicolored canopy, and the dark outline of the landscape gradually loomed on the horizon, transforming first into the dark green, gray, and russet skirt of the jungle before revealing the bush, rising in layers toward the backcountry.”

Visuals aside, I confess I struggled with Burning Embers. I found myself stepping away from the story multiple times and each time I jumped back in it was a little harder to reinvest. I could not connect with Coral as a heroine. Burning Embers is set in 1970 and even for that time period, Coral seems much younger and immature than 25.

Rafe also rubbed me the wrong way. Coral’s father was a notorious ladies man and his philandering contributed to Coral’s mother leaving him and taking Coral to another country. By falling for Rafe, Coral is falling for someone just like her father. The fact that Rafe not only kept a dancer as his mistress, but also had an intimate relationship with Coral’s stepmother, just left a bad taste in my mouth. I’m typically a sucker for a happy ending but when Coral and Rafe found theirs, it wasn’t enough to change my opinion on the overall story.

Burning Embers is not poorly written, it just was not my cup of tea. If you’re a fan of historical romances or period dramas, it could be just what you’re looking for.

The best comparison I can give is Academy Award-nominated movies. When Academy Award nominations come out, my husband and I use those nominations to create our “must-see” viewing list. Every year as we burn through that list, we come across one or two movies that after we finish watching we just look at each other and give a little head shake in confusion. We know the movies are artistic, they have merit, and somewhere somebody identifies with it and loves it. We’re just not those people. I am just not that person for Burning Embers.

Happy reading.
Profile Image for Carla.
Author 108 books181 followers
March 24, 2013
After his father's death, Coral Sinclair returns to Kenya to claim her inheritance. She has fond memories of Mpingo, the place where she lived as a child. But now, her return is bound to show her something different. When she meets the mysterious Raphael de Monfort, both of them feel a burning attraction… and something stronger between them. But Rafe is a known womanizer and a man with a past. And Coral is young and innocent… and slightly immature. Can the feelings between them burn true and surpass the secrets and rumors that surround Rafe’s past?
Part of what makes a romance really captivating is the interaction between the main characters. And, being the connection between Rafe and Coral the main focus of this story, it isn’t a surprise that their differences and interactions are the most interesting in this book. They could hardly be more different, but their personalities complete each other, overcoming their individual flaws. Rafe is an experienced man, but the shadows of the past and the secret guilt he carries with him made him indifferent to love. Coral, on the other hand, is an innocent woman, almost a girl. She is, also, almost alone in a new place, and that makes her easily manipulated and, sometimes, she judges too quickly and with few information. But, different as they are, there’s something strong between them. And the way this relationship is explored, with all the misunderstandings and quarrels, but also with many beautiful moments, is the base to some very good moments.
But there is more than romance in this book. The setting is also fascinating, with Coral’s work of photography – and, yes, also some of her moments with Rafe – introducing beautiful scenarios and allowing a better perception of their time and place. And Rafe’s past, the reason why he is as he is, also allows some thoughts about one’s personal secrets and demons and the need to judge only with all the information. And not judging at all, sometimes.
Well written, with a beautiful setting and interesting characters, Burning Embers tells the story of a complicated romance, but also, in some way, a tale of redemption and the overcoming of one’s past. A good read, over all, and a book I’d recommend.

**I won this book in one of the Goodreads First Reads giveaways.
Profile Image for Meg - A Bookish Affair.
2,444 reviews197 followers
February 18, 2013
"Burning Embers" tells the tale of Coral who returns to Kenya and to the beloved house where she grows up after she inherits the house after her father's death and only after her engagement totally falls apart. On her journey to Kenya, she meets a stranger who she is attracted to immediately (oh, insta-love). Once she gets to Kenya, she realizes that Rafe, the stranger she met on the boat, knows her step-mother and there might be something more to why he seems to be very interested in Coral and her newly acquired house, Mpingo.

My favorite part of the book is the setting. I don't get a chance to read a lot of books set in Africa so it's always a treat when I find a book that is set there. You all know that I love a good exotic location! I didn't know much about 1970s Kenya so it was really interesting to read about how much the country was changing. Fielding paints a really vivid picture of the country and the seaside town that Mpingo is in. You can picture what the landscape must look like. I could definitely see why Coral would want to stay there! My fellow armchair travelers will really enjoy this perspective.

I had a really hard time with the romance in this book. Rafe really never grew on me. Coral falls for him very quickly but it was really hard for me why she fell for him. He seems sort of full of himself and he is sort of a womanizer too but Coral seems to not think about any of that. Once Coral sort of figures out the mystery of why Rafe is always hanging around, why he painted pictures of her before they ever met, and why all of the workers at Mpingo seem to deeply distrust him, she can't help but to feel like she's still attracted to him. Even when all those issues get cleared up, she is willing to leave everything she wanted for him but I still wanted to understand more about the why.

Overall: Begin for the promise of romance, stay and linger for the setting.
Profile Image for Rob. C..
Author 9 books323 followers
June 16, 2013
I was given the book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

First off, I want to point out that Burning Embers is a good book and very well written, so the reason for my 3-star rating has nothing to do with the story or with writing/editing issues.
The author has a way to describe places and settings that make you feel you're actually there and seeing it all. Having never been to Africa, I could easily imagine the landscapes and atmosphere the author described. I also liked the plot, a beautiful love story set in Kenya between a naive young woman and a man surrounded by gossip and who's been fighting his own ghosts for years.
We get to see most of the story through the heroine's eyes, although a couple of times we manage to see the story also through the hero's eyes (I personally would have liked to see a little more of the story also through Rafe's eyes, because I felt that when I did, I liked him a little more).

What didn't work for me was that sometimes I found there was a little too much description and the pacing was a little low. Although I understand it was probably meant to increase the tension and the suspense, I wish that the characters had gotten together a little sooner in the book. Like I said, the descriptions were amazing and very well written, but I think the book would have been good without going too much into the small details. At times I skipped ahead because I needed to get to the action.
Profile Image for Donna.
580 reviews
August 20, 2012
"Burning Embers" is a book that I have won through the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. I am glad to have been a recipient of this book as it was, indeed, a very good read.

It is set in 1970 and is a comtemporary historical romance between Coral Sinclair and the "notorious" Rafe de Montfort. Coral has come back to Kenya to take ownership of the plantation, Mpingo, that was left to her after her father's demise. This plantation was her childhood home and she had left it when her mother and father parted ways. She was living in England with her mother and new husband. Coral is a photographer and while she is in Kenya would like to do an article on the life and surroundings of the area.

Rafe de Montfort owns a neighboring plantation and a nightclub. A womanizer, he is having an affair with Coral's stepmother and a dancer at the nightclub. She feels an attraction for Rafe but tries her very best to put distance between them. Each time they meet, however, sparks fly. Coral's maid warns her that he is evil and has the evil spirits in him. Coral says is mumbo jumbo.

Rafe life becomes in danger when he becomes very ill. Coral realizes all the foolishness she has heard is not who he is. Rafe does tell her of his past relationships. Is he just after her inheritance or does his past just make him more vulnerable?

I really enjoyed this book and I know that anyone that reads it will too. Thank you Goodreads and Ms. Fielding.
Profile Image for Traci.
214 reviews15 followers
January 17, 2012
This is a very interesting book, a historical, "vintage" romance set in 70's Kenya. Having read quite a few novels lately that can be categorized in one way or another as "romance", Burning Embers stood out. I think what I liked about it was the same thing I liked about Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/balza... the history and culture of a time and place I know very little about.

I liked hearing a bit about the changes in Kenya in the 1970s, the cultural differences between the former colonialists and the native people, who are taking back their country even as they often still serve, in one capacity or another. Even though the main couple is white and educated in Britain, they both spent formative years in Africa and provide an understanding, knowledgeable outsider's view of a changing continent. As Rafe says, Kenya is changing and is not for him anymore.

The relationship between Rafe and Coral is incredibly traditional and yet reflects the changing gender roles as well. Coral struggles with her feelings of independence and yet wants to submit to Rafe, as a wife and lover; Rafe's overwhelming masculinity both attracts and repels her. She can't quite embrace the sexual revolution of the time, and is caught in the throes of independence, much like Kenya.
Profile Image for Susan Gorman.
385 reviews1 follower
May 31, 2013
Hannah Fielding's descriptive writing in Burning Embers drew me in. I felt that I was transported to 1970's Kenya, that I could smell the flowers in the Whispering Pines gardens, hear the bird song at Mpingo and watch the two main charcters Rafe and Coral fall in love.

Twenty-five year old Coral Sinclair travels to Kenya to visit her childhood home after her Father's death. Coral has broken off her engagement and needs time to heal. She meets a mysterious man while travelling to Africa. She is drawn to him.

There is a touch of mystery and suspense which surrounds Rafe. Is he to be trusted? Is Rafe a buisnessman or a womanizer? Or both?

Coral meets Rafe and finds out that they are neighbors. They meet on several occasions and their mutual attraction is obvious. She is influenced by what several people tell her about him. As the story progresses, Coral learns to trust her own feelings amid the lush tropical background.

I highly recommend this novel and look forward to Ms. Fielding's next book!
Profile Image for Jan Romes.
Author 36 books91 followers
September 26, 2012
Well done, Hannah Fielding! What an incredible story :-)) You drew me in straight away with the setup on the ship! The adventure of Coral and Rafe started there and progressed to Kenya. Amazing setting descriptions that can only come from a true appreciation of that country. I loved your characters. They were easy to relate to yet they came in layers. And the only way I could discover the next layer was to keep reading. I felt the sizzle between Coral and Rafe early on and watched it grow into love, but along with the growing affection came a ton of conflict. And it just kept coming -- everything from secondary characters to gossip, mystery, doubt, mistrust, and more was thrown at Coral and Rafe to keep them apart. All of those things took the hero and heroine to the breaking point and all seemed lost. But the thing about true love, it doesn't give up. This book was expertly written to keep me wanting more. I would definitely read this author again!
1 review
July 27, 2012
This book is enchanting from the moment you begin reading it. I am not a regular reader of romantic fiction but I was swept away by the charm and quality of the writing. The style has a nostalgic innocence which is so rare in modern novels and some of the descriptions, particularly of the African wilderness, are breath-taking.

The two key characters, Coral and Rafe, are both captivating and attractive without becoming stereotypes, and the story of their love is believable as well as romantic. The historical and Kenyan setting are both well-researched and provide a wonderful backdrop, while many of the secondary characters (such as Aluna the nanny and Morgana the dancer) have real depth and complement the main storyline. The romance scenes are also beautifully well-written and add vivid context to the developing relationship between the central couple.

I would recommend this book as a rare gem with wide appeal, a really excellent read.
Profile Image for Dani C. (Polly's Place).
546 reviews243 followers
October 14, 2012
If you are looking for a romance that feels realistic and is set in a land of untamed beauty, well let me tell you about Burning Embers.

Burning Embers is a beautifully written contemporary historical romance set during the 1970’s in Africa. The story is about Coral who is returning to Africa after her father dies. She meets a stepmother she didn't know she had as well as a very handsome but very worldly French neighbor.

Almost everyone Coral meets warns her away from becoming involved with Rafe and yet her heart tells her something different. While she is a bit naive and innocent she knows deep down that she wants a man who can paint pictures of her that show her very soul without ever having met her.

This is a slow but heart capturing romance with an undercurrent of mystery. The African sorcery that is weaved in adds another layer to the beautiful African land and the people who live there.
Profile Image for Wendy H..
Author 27 books43 followers
August 14, 2012
This book is essentailly a romance but with an undercurrent of tension and mystery running through it. With believable characters and descriptions that carry you away to Kenya, this is definitely a book to read. I would say the romance id far greater than the mystery so if you are looking for a murder mystery I have writtne many reviews on books you may like. If you are looking for a romance which has so much more then look no further. This is the book to read. Fileding ahs a good writing style and it certainly fits the sytle of the decade about whcih she is writing the 70's. She uses words to great effect to draw you in ot the storyline. She is definitely an author to watch out for.
Profile Image for Paula.
202 reviews2 followers
June 19, 2013
I really enjoyed the imagery in this book. I felt transported to a time and place I would never otherwise have been able to travel. This was much more than just a romance, although a love story was front and center (and sometimes quite steamy). Following Coral as she meets and falls in love with Rafe was enjoyable even when you could see obstacles up ahead. At times I lost my love for the characters, as they became a little less than believable. I do however go back to the very best part of this book being the author's ability to put you into the scenery. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys travel and romance.

Thank you to the author for providing me with a copy of her book.
Profile Image for Tequila.
1,199 reviews21 followers
October 4, 2015
Once again Hannah Fielding has created an amazing world with her words. I fell in love with her work after reading The Echos of Love and she did not disappoint with Burning Embers. As I read, I felt as if I had been transported to Kenya seeing all the beautiful scenery as the characters were experiencing it. I found myself quickly captivated by the story and the characters. If you love romance novels, then Burning Embers is a book for you.
Profile Image for Sasha.
86 reviews14 followers
August 14, 2012
What can I say I absolutely loved this book.It took me on a journey to Africa, that I did not want to come back from. With characters whom I enjoyed with relish, they were a pleasure to be around.The writing style was beautiful and such a delight to experience. It held me captivated to the very end.I am so lucky that I won this book in a giveaway competition for goodreads
Profile Image for Christy English.
Author 28 books392 followers
May 13, 2013
This sweet romantic story brought Kenya to life for me. I really enjoyed it :)
Profile Image for Atra.
24 reviews6 followers
January 1, 2013
Beautifully written,romantic story.
Great characters set against exotic landscapes.All the right ingredients for very engaging story.
Profile Image for Linda.
1,114 reviews47 followers
April 5, 2013
I'll post a review this weekend... but wanted to post that I really enjoyed this story.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.