Start by marking “Horrible Harry and the Purple People” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Horrible Harry and the...

Suzy Kline

Horrible Harry and the Purple People (Horrible Harry #8)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Harry has always had a vivid imagination, but now he's saying there are Purple People in the classroom that only he can see. No one believes Harry -- not even Doug -- but then strange and unexplainable things start happening in Room 2B. Is Harry playing a horrible trick, or are the Purple People real?
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Recorded Books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Horrible Harry and the Purple People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horrible Harry and the Purple People

Amy
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dolly
Oct 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This was a fairly bizarre story, with or without the nod to Alice in Wonderland. It was a fun story to read aloud, though, and our oldest likes that Harry is in Second Grade (like her) in this story. The book encourages imagination and creativity and discourages bullying and mean behavior.

This is one of the first books we've read in the Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline and Frank Remkiewicz. We enjoyed reading this book together and I am sure we will read more of the books in this series soon.
Dianna
Jan 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: k-1st graders especially
Had this for Sam and Elena to read but I finished mine so I picked it up to see what it was like- I haven't read any Horrible Harrys yet and want to be sure I want my kids reading them. It took me maybe 20 minutes- probably less. I found it cute- funny, without anything I'd really worry my kids pick up on. Yes, Harry does try to dump juice on Mary, but Doug stops him- so we have a good example that wins out and everybody is happy. Great for newly independent readers!
Rebecca Smith
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suzy Kline is a very creative and imaginative author. She uses an element of fiction and incorporates reality in her chapter books. "Horrible Harry and the Purple People" is appropriate for children above the age of seven. This book is not too long, but it gives children the opportunity to imagine "purple people" and keeps them engaged. I would recommend teachers read this book to their class because it is a fun, easy read book.
Rachel Inbar
I read this aloud to my kids (aged 5 & 6m took ~20 minutes) and just didn't feel there was anything special about it. I liked the fact that Miss Mackle doesn't mind a bit of nonsense, but the whole thing about the Purple People just seemed stupid. I was kind of waiting for something to happen and then nothing did.
Queen
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Your children will learn numerous synonyms for "nonsense" as well as the idiomatic expression, "being a wet blanket." They'll learn a way to prevent conflict and get along with one another. There are fun references to Alice in Wonderland, too! It's a quick read with a hint of suspense and developing social relationships.
Angela
Harry sure has a wild imagination and I believe his antics would really get newly independent readers interested. I will definitely keep this book around. Hopefully the rest of series, is as good as this one.
Katie
These Horrible Harry books are my 6 year old's latest craze. They aren't anything amazing, but they are a nice change from the Magic Tree House books.
Shelby Troutman
Shows that imagination can be both positive and negative, in this case, Harry's imagination brought some of the children together to help Harry prove the purple people existed.
Bailey Schmidt
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
I would read this book aloud to my class as it would allow them to come up with their own "purple creatures". This is a fun and quick read but includes a lot of bizarre ideas. I had never read a "Horrible Harry" book but I think it would be good for beginning readers and would have them in my classroom for readers who enjoy this type of book.
Jocey
Horrible Harry and the Purple People, by Suzy Kline, is a book about a boy named Harry who sees purple people. The main character is Harry. The book takes place in a school. His main internal struggle is that he sees purple people. His main external struggle is that no one believes him.

During my time reading this book I made a text-to-self connection. Throughout the book Harry tells people he sees purple people but know one believes him. That reminded me of myself. Sometimes I would say someth
Melissa Namba
I liked that Doug was the hero in this book. Mary was awful to everyone and should have been held accountable by the teacher. once again, harry reminds me of my nephew link. Good heart, imaginative, but mischievous.
Angela
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No one believes Harry about the Purple People. Not even Doughis best friend. The class is reading "Alice in Wonderland",and everyone thinks that Harry's Purple People are as real as the Cheshire Cat. Then a few strange things happen, and no one knows just what to think.
Christy
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader, popular
Room 2B been invaded by purple people! That's what Harry is saying, but no one else believes him. Can he prove that the purple people are real?
Emily
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not the cutest Horrible Harry book I've ever read, but my 6 year liked it.
Minjun
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so fake
Usef Alabdi
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good
Alexis Lynch
Reading Level: 3.3, Guided Reading: L
Twyla
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auryn-s-books
Catherine Louise
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my baby books: horrible harry series
Starr Elementary
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an fun, easy read about a classroom dispute over imagination vs. reality and how you should treat your friends.
Wanda
Aug 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that explores the positive side of using imagination.

Rhonda
Dec 09, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
read with Lucas. bad story, lots of stereotyping.
Bookworm007
Jun 20, 2010
Hai Jie
rated it it was ok
Nov 08, 2012
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • The Case of the Marshmallow Monster (Jigsaw Jones, #11)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Corn Popper
  • Dinosaur Detectives (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #9)
  • Nate the Great and the Pillowcase
  • Amazing Magnetism (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #12)
  • Insect Invaders (The Magic School Bus Chapter Book, #11)
  • Clementine and the Spring Trip (Clementine, #6)
  • Sloppy Joe
  • The Class Election from the Black Lagoon (Black Lagoon Adventures, No. 3)
  • Arthur and the True Francine
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • White House White-out (A to Z Mysteries: Super Edition, #3)
  • Happy Haunting, Amelia Bedelia
Suzy Kline, nee Weaver, was an elementary school teacher for 25 years and most of her books are based on the experiences she had while teaching. Suzy and Rufus got married and had two daughters named Jennifer and Emily. Now, more than 24 years after writing her first book, Suzy has traveled all over the United States helping children learn how to enjoy reading and writing.
More about Suzy Kline...

Horrible Harry (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Horrible Harry in Room 2B (Horrible Harry, #1)
  • Horrible Harry and the Green Slime (Horrible Harry, #2)
  • Horrible Harry and the Ant Invasion