Start by marking “Acid” as Want to Read:
Acid

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Acid

The year is 2113. In Jenna Strong's world, ACID—the most brutal controlling police force in history—rule supreme. No throwaway comment or whispered dissent goes unnoticed—or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a horrendous crime she struggles to remember. But Jenna's violent prison time has taught her how to survive by any means necessary ...more
Published April 25th 2013 by Corgi Children's Books (first published March 11th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Acid, please sign up.
sh(e)reader It really doesn't have much - I was listening as an audiobook, and at times had my 10year old in the car with me. There was some mild profanity in…moreIt really doesn't have much - I was listening as an audiobook, and at times had my 10year old in the car with me. There was some mild profanity in some parts. At one point sex is mentioned as a possibility (after a couple has been life-partnered) but nothing graphic at all.(less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
516 books — 2,461 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,578 books — 11,058 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Get a grip, Jenna, I tell myself furiously. People’s lives depend on you tomorrow, and all you can think about is snogging Max.
As a child, I read almost the entire Baby Sitter's Club books. Almost 20 years later, I am rather bemused and amused to realize that I've essentially just read another story about babysitting. Sure, the premise is different, there's a dystopian future (and by dystopian, I mean the let's-throw-random-dystopian-element-crap-at-a-wall-and-see-what-sticks), but really, thi
Brandi
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I can't really recommend this one.
Recommended to Brandi by: That cover.

Oh my word, this ended up being one big disappointment. At first I thought for sure I had another winner, and was planning on giving it five stars, but then I got to the second half of the book and almost rage quit. I'll be discussing the plot in depth (though I wouldn't consider it too spoilerish), and any spoiler tags will true spoilers, so don't open the tags if you don't want to know what they say.

The first part

The book opens with our protagonist as an inmate in prison, and one thing that
Ashley
Dec 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: requested
Nose Graze — Young Adult book reviews

2.5-ish stars

Oh, ACID . You could have been amazing. You could have been wonderful. With a cover like that and a badass main character, you could have been the love of my bookish life. But, alas. After a glorious start, you kind of crashed and burned.

I have a handy dandy enjoyment graph to illustrate my thoughts:

ACID by Emma Pass - Enjoyment Graph

ACID starts out strong—with a 17 year old badass who can take on fully grown, perverted men, and an epic prison break. I LOVED how Jenna kicked so
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
She is in an all-male prison?! o_O Don't know if I should jump up and down or bite my fingernails.

Review to come,maybe.
Fergal
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, thought provoking, echoes of the political landscape we are going through now in 2017.
Amy
EDIT: The book is now out here in the US, but I am not getting a Nook copy, and certainly not another physical copy. BUT! There is an audiobook, which I am going to POUNCE on like a tiger! Gah I can't wait!

WARNING: THERE WILL BE A LARGE AMOUNT OF CURSING IN THIS REVIEW. IF YOU DO NOT APPROVE OR LIKE CURSING, PLEASE DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW, OR IGNORE THE WORDS. THANK YOU.

Oh. My. God. This book is fucking amazing. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. language included. This book is fucking amazing, a
Cora Tea Party Princess
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
5 Words:

Wow.

Freaking wow.

I loved this. Absolutely loved it.

Full review to come. I can't even think right now so it may take a little while.
Ornella (Nyx)
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: stand-alone, dystopia
*Slightly Spoilerish*

I wanted to like this book so bad! Maybe my expectations were too high, but when the blurb talks about a girl who has survived in an all male prison for 2 years, it's hard not to expect awesomeness.

At the start, Jenna was everything I was expecting. She was smart, tough, didn't take crap from anyone, and would kick anyone's butt who so much as looked at her wrong. Then she gets broken out of prison and that's when things started going downhill for me. Jenna changes a little
Demitria Lunetta
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced dystopian has a very 1984 “big brother” feel, but definitely with an updated kick-ass heroine. The world building is great…just like with any good dystopian you can see how society became the way it did. I also loved the plot progression…everything flowed along really well from one tense situation to another. It also wrapped everything up nice and neat with a hint of trouble that could be a second book.
Zoë Marriott
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: can-t-wait
Akjnpijpojpinpi08077=0iklknlk?!??!?!? Bourne Identity meets The Hunger Games. Bring a brown paper bag for inevitable hyperventilation.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Being a dystopian standalone… it’s fair to say I had my doubts. To include world building (in a way that wasn’t just annoying/boring info-dumps), plus character development, plus world “destroying” with a satisfying conclusion – looks to be an impressive feat. However I needn’t have worried because Acid managed it all flawlessly.

Dystopias are hit or miss for me. If it works and captures my attention from start to finish I can rave about it all day, but if I’m bored or doubt its authenticity then
Steph Sinclair

I love this cover. Is it 2013 yet?
Becky
Ugh, why do I continue to do this to myself?

First off, I fully blame the cover. Look at it. I was all ready for a hell raising ginger to kick some ass. Then I read the first twenty pages and find out our heroine's in an all male prison, fully capable of defending herself with some awesome ninja skills and was like HEELLSSS YEEAHHH!

It went downhill quickly after that.

What we have here is some really shoddy dystopian world building with a lot of implausible situations, and a Mary-Sue-save-the-da
Kirsty
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved acid! What a cracking story and kick-ass heroine. I couldn't read it quickly enough and was hooked from page one.

Acid is set in a future Britain and is the story of Jenna Strong. Jenna is 17 and has just broken out of a high security prison that she was put into for murdering her parents. Throughout the course of the book you get an insight into a corrupt totalitarian world where the people are watched every minute of every day and any slight disoriented is punished harshly.

I loved sev
Wendy Darling
I'm actually surprised to see so many negative reviews for this, because I thought it was pretty entertaining. Sure, lots of farfetched things you have to accept at face value in this dystopian world, but this is the sort of book I'd enjoy as I would an action movie anyway.

So--not spectacularly outstanding, perhaps, but it's not nearly as bad as I'd been led to expect.
Serendipity Reviews
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on www.serendipityreviews.co.uk
I was lucky enough to get my hands on one of the most anticipated UK debuts of the year when I attended a blogger brunch at Random House. I feel like I have been waiting forever to get my hands on this book, so I was really pleased when I got the opportunity to read it early. I wasn’t disappointed.

Emma Pass has created an excellent dystopian perspective of the UK in 2113. Alongside Claire Merle, she has shown that UK authors can write excellent dy
Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nobonita - The Bengali Nomad by: Myself
Originally posted at Daydreaming Bookworm

** I received an Advanced Reading Copy/Uncorrected Proof of this book from Random House U.K in exchange for an honest review.**

With a bad ass heroine like Lara Croft and a fast paced plot like Anthony Horowitz's Alex Rider series,ACID is one debut that you definitely must keep an eye on when it comes out!

Dystopia has now become quite a dangerous genre to base your story on,given the rise in competition on that particular genre.At least,that's what I thi
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has been posted on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Reminiscent of the TV show Alias and the movie SALT, ACID is a futuristic dystopian featuring a kickass main character assuming multiple identities throughout the novel, with nonstop action, romance and constant twists and turns.

Jenna Strong is serving a life sentence in prison for killing her parents. Despite being the only female, she can take on even the most hardened criminals with a flick of her wrist. One day, h
K.A. Barson
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 13s, kickass-heroine
(Based on the ARC)

I loved this book! Jenna Strong is not only kick-ass, but she is very likable, too. Pass (the author) does a fabulous job of giving enough information to create tension and curiosity, but not so much as to overwhelm and not so little as to confuse. The world-building was stellar. Although I've never to London or the future, I felt grounded in the setting. Oh, and did I mention the non-stop thrill ride? Yes, your heart will pound until the last page and beyond. Just clear your s
Karissa
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I got a copy of this to review through the Amazon Vine program. Honestly I was drawn to this book because of the awesome cover and the synopsis that promised an action-packed novel. Then when I figured out it was another YA dystopian read I was a bit worried...I am kind of sick of that genre right now. However, I was pleasantly surprised...I really really loved this book. It was incredibly engaging and very fast-paced.

In 2113 ACID rules the world, they are a military police-like organization tha
Kara-karina
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
You know what? I want to avoid bashing Acid, because a lot of you loved this book, so in my third attempt to review it I'll try to keep it short so it won't dissolve into a rant.

I felt disappointed in this book because Emma started as this strong young heroine who fights against all odds despite the improbability of succeeding in all male high security prison, but as soon as she is whisked away that drive goes out of the window.

Emma is impulsive and makes stupid mistakes throughout the whole boo
Melissa
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Unputdownable is an overused word, but in this case it's true. As soon as I opened the first page, I couldn't stop reading ACID. It has all the hallmarks of a great thriller - a feisty heroine, non-stop action and a dark conspiracy at its centre. Set in a near-future UK that's scarily realistic, the story follows 16-year-old Jenna Strong as she tries to stay one step ahead of the law, and in doing so, learns the truth about the government - and herself. Anyone who appreciates a truly kick-ass MC ...more
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Action-packed and fast-paced. It was entertaining but nothing to write home about.
Beth  (YA Books Central)
Review to come...Closer to pub date but let me just say that THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF 2014!!! I mean PHENOMENAL!!! Emma Pass is an author to watch for! SHE ROCKS!!!!!
Tamara
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Amazing idea, poorly executed.
Nafiza
Jun 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Smart, sexy and sleek is what the cover tells you the novel will be. A dystopian set in London sounded something that I would like even though I am not too much of a fan of dystopians. And there is a reason I don’t like them very much – well, more than one actually. The first reason is that they scare me with their probable reality, I mean, some of the things we read about in dystopian novels is far too realistic for me. They give a glimpse of a possible future, a future I hope I am not alive to ...more
Donna
I was excited to receive ACID that I started it within a few days of receiving it, and while the story had such a strong start, after a few chapters it slowly started getting weaker. And so in the end, it was impossible for me to love it, but I certainly didn't hate it.

As I said before the plot started off strong but no sooner than things getting interesting, I started to lose interest. It was pretty easy to figure out what had happened to Jenna before she did, and because of this there was no e
Booknut
She's out for revenge.
She's on the run.
She's their worst fear.

She's the key to ACID's destruction.

But as evil as ACID are, they hold the key to Jenna Strong's past...secrets that have been locked away, secrets that could change everything Jenna thinks she knows. In a race against the clock, Jenna must bring down ACID and their hold on her world before it's too late, whilst managing to uncover the truth about why she's being hunted.

Why she has blood on her hands. And why she is so highly covet
Kelly
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I picked it up, I mixed up the blurb of this book with another dystopian book but I wanted to read this one too so it's fine. Overall, I enjoyed reading Acid, a YA standalone. It was easy to get into and I liked the plot about Acid. It was fast paced even though I thought the beginning and the end were the best parts of the book. I wish we had more of Max and Jenna. About the ending, I'm content to have a HEA instead of having doubts on the future of the characters (I'll forget about the me ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: Acid by Emma Pass - Starting April 20th 2017 1 6 Mar 22, 2017 09:12AM
YA Shot 2016: "Acid" by Emma Pass - Dec 7th - Dec 21st 5 5 Dec 29, 2015 01:06PM
2015 Hub Reading ...: ACID 1 6 May 06, 2015 05:35PM
The Outsmilers: Acid - Emma Pass - April 12th (Lya & Tia) 64 21 Apr 16, 2014 10:00AM
Totally Random Tour: ACID's dystopian society 5 26 May 31, 2013 10:57AM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Coda (Coda, #1)
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • The Oathbreaker's Shadow (The Knots Sequence, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Countdown
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Touch of Death (Touch of Death, #1)
  • Solstice
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Unavenged (Unavenged, #1)
  • Vengeance Bound
Emma Pass grew up at an environmental studies centre near London, went to art school in Cornwall and now lives in the north-east Midlands, UK. Her YA dystopian thriller ACID is out from Random House Children's Books on 25th April 2013 (UK), Mondadori on 13th June 2013 (Spain) and Delacorte on 1st April 2014 (US). Another standalone thriller, The Fearless, will follow in the UK in 2014.

Are you on T
“His smile wavers. I've been looking at him too long. 'Are you OK?' he says.
I nod, take a deep breath.
Then I lean over and kiss him.”
8 likes
“To the NAR!'
'To freedom!' Jack Chimes in.
Max and I pick up our mugs and click them against everyone else's without looking at each other. I'm afraid that if I do catch his eye, I'll see my own horror at what we're getting ourselves into reflected there, and that the smile on my face will drop off and shatter like glass.”
5 likes