Start by marking “Teddy's Button ” as Want to Read:
Teddy's Button

Teddy's Button

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  666 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Here is a story that will open a child's understanding of the spiritual battle within as Teddy learns that he is his own worst enemy. As a stubborn boy and girl refuse to back down from their selfish pride, one of the many lessons they learn is that they cannot win battles by force and hate, but by carrying the banner of love. Through this charming story, Amy Lefeuvre help ...more
Published 2001 by Lamplighter Publishing (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about Teddy's Button, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teddy's Button

Linda
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The kids and I listened to this audio book through Lamplighter Publishing, and it was well done. We were captivated by the wonderful story of friendship, forgiveness, facing our weaknesses, and what it means to follow Christ.
Erin Moore
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, ras-for-kids
We have the audio drama version of this and have listened to it many, many times!
Kathryn Bronn
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I really love Lamplighter books, and have been reading them for years. It seems like a good thing to abide by C.S. Lewis' saying of “A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.”
This story was sweet, but it almost felt like it was written as a children't story but aimed at adults, if that makes sense. It felt like the author was trying a bit too hard. There are several others of this genre that I love much much more (i.e., The Basket of
Andrea
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
This moralistic tale is about how Christianity is a battle in which we fight temptations within ourselves. The main character is a child with temptations characteristic of children. I didn't mind the Christian values but I think that correlating violence with God's efforts to reach and minister to his children is error-prone as seen by those who use "holy wars" to justify their actions.
Julie Zilkie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Classic story and so good for the 5 to 8 age range, although even my older children were touched by Teddy's story. Again, a book that is worth reading to the younger child should be enjoyed by all!
Angela
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story. I’m grateful Parker and I could read it together.
Julie Graves
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, christian
Teddy is a young boy full of mischief. He is very popular among the boys because of his great story-telling skills and ideas for getting into mischief. His favorite story of all is the one about his father. His father was a soldier, a hero who died in battle. Teddy carries his father's war button around with him and aspires to be a soldier just like his father.

When Teddy's mischief gets him into trouble at church he soon learns of another Captain he can follow~Jesus Christ. He soon "enlists" int
Tawnda Andrews
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a new favorite! Loved every part and my children did too. Teaching my children about their greatest enemy in such a sweet story, I look forward to more books from the Lamplighter company.
Jodi
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mandi
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-alouds
My kids got the audio of this fantastic book, written by Amy LeFeuvre in 1896, for Christmas a few years ago. A precious story.
Here is the description:
Who is your most foul and cruel enemy? After reading Teddy’s Button, you may have a new answer to that question. Flamboyant Teddy Platt cannot keep silent about the glorious history of his sacred button. Soon this passion brings him into contention with a new little girl in the village. God uses this enmity to bring Teddy to his knees ready to sig
Manning
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Teddy is a young boy who loves his father's war button. He talks to the town boys about his father's heroic death in battle and wants to be just like him. Teddy wants to become a good soldier, but he is also faced with becoming a good Christian and being a good warrior in God's army too. He becomes friends with a local sailor girl named Nancy. At first, they use to be enemies, but Mr. Upton teaches Teddy that you need to love your enemies even when they are not kind to you. Then, some soldiers n ...more
Kim♥
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim♥ by: Jthornberg2
This illustrated, abridged version of Teddy's Button is one of our family's favorites. It is such a beautiful, beautiful book! I got choked up at one point and I think my husband was misty-eyed, too. I highly recommend it. It took a few nights to get through, but my boys hung on every word and begged for me to read more. The voice of the characters lends itself easily to reading it aloud in fun accents. Kids love that. :)

The message is beautiful. I really can't think of another word for it. If m
A.j. Dorizas
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well written book. It helped me understand that my biggest enemy is myself. In the book,Teddy is a boy probably about

one year old,and his dad is a sergeant in the army. Teddy's dad dies a brave death saving the life of a fellow solder. About seven years later

Nancy moves in the house next door,and her dad is a sailor. She does not believe that Teddy's dad was a hero in the army. I encourage you to read this book,

to find what treasures lay ahead in the story!
Laurell Dowling
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my children about 10 years ago. It is still one of our favorite stories. I would highly recommend as a good children's book to read aloud. The words and the story are so descriptive of a period of time that has long past. A great wholesome book which will help build moral Christian character.
Jenny
Dec 13, 2014 added it
A must read! The kids and I read this aloud and laughed much!!! It is a great read for anyone, but I would think children around 6-10 years of age would enjoy it the most. I just love, love this book, and I am 43!!! A wonderful story about a rambunctious boy who wants to be in the Lord's army with all his heart!
Isabella
Oct 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
I really don't remember much about this book... we read it last year at a EvFree study where the mom's go to their study and their kids have their own little study. I'm not sure if I liked it or not, so I just put three stars. And no, I did not just finish it.
Tracy Schuster
Oct 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
We ordered this from lamplighter publishing. HIGHLY recommend any of these books. We read it a little at a time after dinner and the kids LOVED it and are asking for another one. It really encourages the love of language and discussion about what it means to be a "soldier".
Michelle Fields
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is so sweet and such a beautiful story of a child coming to know Jesus and beginning to follow him. I just finished reading it aloud to my children after seeing it on an Ann Voscamp booklist. It is beautifully written!
Rob
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent short story to read to your children at bedtime.
This little story is a thought provoking analysis of a child's motivations and heart condition. A great launch pad for discipling and instructing.
Allison Hawbaker
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The story is very sweet and has many good lessons. The struggle with our sin nature is a very real battle that we all have.
The story leans more toward decision salvation instead of election but It's a worthy read.
Karen
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a good story
Recommended to Karen by: Rita Seldenrust
This is a beautiful story! I was really impressed with it. OH that we could return to the time when books were written to inspire character! This was our first read aloud in the afternoons. Now we are hooked :0).
Karen
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dad, ellie, jacob, mom
This is my favorite Lamplighter book. We have listened to the audio many many times. The book has a different ending then the audio. The kids were very surprised by the differences. I would recommend this book to everyone!
Patrick
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great little book about a young man who "enlists" under the true Captain and his fight against his personal enemy "Bully." This would be a great book to read to younger children - perhaps a chapter a day? Highly recommended.
Addie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Teddy is a young boy, with big blue eyes, blonde curly hair, and a tendancy to get in trouble. But this year is diffrent from the others.
I LOVED this book! It was so cute, but it has a very good point!
Trish Boese
5* Children's fiction with a gospel message so clearly told! Teddy is a cute little character who wants to be good but nevertheless makes some grand fails. This will be required reading for my son and daughter.
Danette
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For Lincoln on his 6th birthday. August 2012
This is a shorter illustrated version of the original work but still long for reading in on session. A young boy is learning how to please his Captain by how he loves the people around him.
Danette
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sweet story of a young boy who sets out to be a soldier of the Lord and fight his battles with love.
Liz
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book. The story reveals the truth about human nature and the battle that is going on between good and evil. Teddy is adorable. This is a story with a lesson.
Janet
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story has an awesome presentation of the gospel.
Angela
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 8+, Families
Recommended to Angela by: my Dad
The story of how a young boy named Teddy signs up to be a soldier in the Lord's army and learns to get along with others, and who his worst enemy is.
Goodreads Librari...: Add author 2 186 Jan 03, 2017 11:28AM
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • The Swamp Robber (Sugar Creek Gang, #1)
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters